getting rid of permadeath fear

theHellraiser

I still believe myself a pretty new player,barely hit 100 hours.

Had several deaths so far in voya and stalker,a lot more on some custom settings that I enjoy more.was getting better overtime,increased from dying in the first month to going deeper and deeper until I reached my treasured play of 93 days.that character died when exploring Desolation point for the first time from an awful chain-event(bear attack,wolf,bear attack attracted from gun shot used on wolf).Since that happened I am having an incredible hard time pushing myself to explore new areas I havent being like TWM and HRV.

I know this questions sounds stupid by itself considering the type of game this is and the mindset behind it but is there a way to throw away that fear?any tips that could help me accepted the mortality of the whole scenario of loosing a hard worked character over my excitment for adventure?

Usually you have a problem making hard choices in real life, because you have no savegames and can't go back. The treatment is playing TLD, a game that puts you in same situation but with no consequences.

If you have this problem in a game, I don't think there's a game helping playing game that have permadeath. Well, actually yes, there is Wintermute for that, or Pilgrim. Or a psychiatrist, but that's a bit more expensive. Permadeath is the core beauty of this game, think as if YOU were your survivor, would you really have approached that bear so close?

Guest jeffpeng

Maybe accepting that the game will end helps you to play it as accepting that you will die helps you live your life. It will happen, you cannot avoid it, and in a sense that's fine. Generally speaking .... as much as the beginning is part of everything the end is part of it everything as well.

Don't consider dying a loss - well, at least not in the game. Having a Survivor die means you - in all likelihood - learned a rather harsh but probably valuable lesson (like there is a bear and you don't shoot wolves while there is a bear). The time isn't lost or wasted. You spend time you probably enjoyed (if not TLD might be the wrong game for you), and experienced things that excited you. It also means you can start a new game, play a new story. Trust me ... being 500 days old isn't exactly the most desirable thing in TLD.

It is not stupid question at all. Many experience it as well, including me. I had such a hard time during my transition to Stalker from Voyager several years back that I never actually get to it. Where others played Stalker and made it into long gameplays, I just could not get over my initial shock of getting torn up over an over again. And it was not really my cup of tea - so to this day, I enjoy Voyager gametypes the most (though I occasionally like to dabble in Interloper too, even if I haven't for a long time).

Most important is to take it like it is nothing. It is just a game - so you died, no big deal, crap happens and life goes on. If you can learn to accept that, you will find coping with permadeath consequences easier. 
Next thing on my suggestions is to learn to keep your head cool even if crap hits the fan. You mentioned the tragedy - I imagine you flipped out a lot, and I cant blame you - but in this game, keeping a cool, clear mind is the most powerful tool you can have at your disposal. You can usually take a few seconds to come up with a plan - very rarely you are forced to act immediately. To give an example, when many people get hit by a blizzard in an area that is hard to navigate in, they start to panic, they tend to start running around, wasting fatigue and stamina pointlessly, often making matters worse because they get lost even more. Instead, you have to stop, think about where you likely are, what place you can go to, and how to get there. Even if you keep losing your condition - being able to come up with a plan is worth losing 2% of the health.

Same really goes for that situation you got into. You got mauled by a bear, woke up, and a wolf was attracted to you. But, I reckon he did not charge you right away... you probably had some time before the attack, but your instincts kicked in and you tried to shoot it. Completely forgetting that there was a bear in the area.

Something you will learn eventually is that the best way to never get into a position like the one you described is by taking your time, and planning before doing. You can observe your surroundings, and you should do so, often. You can look at what is in front of you, and think of a route that you will take from point A to point B, then to C and to D. But, when you see the situation changed (for example you spot a bear, trudging over your path from A to B, you can stop again, think for a bit, and decide to go from A to D first, then C and B.

If you take things slow, think before acting, and if you pay attention to your surroundings, you will almost never run into trouble like the one you had. Also, be smart - if you have an option to go from hill to hill or go down the valley - take the hills - because naturally, from a hill you will see that there is a wolf in your path, but if you take the valley path, you may miss it and it will surprise you.  

14 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Permadeath is the core beauty of this game, think as if YOU were your survivor, would you really have approached that bear so close?

putting it straight up that way yeah I am pretty fearful of bears,I do consider them fairly dangerous even if you dont exactly provoke them, had a few runs on them with grandpa years back hunting some rabit and boars in the woods on a mountain.

3 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

being 500 days old isn't exactly the most desirable thing in TLD.

yeah I would imagine its like trying to paint over rotten wood,after a while the magic is lost and you dont achieve anything over it anyway

4 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

like there is a bear and you don't shoot wolves while there is a bear

unfortunately I didnt have much choice given the situation.the wolf attacked me 15 seconds after the bear attack while I was trying to apply first aid

I do appreciate your input on the matter fellas.

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, Mroz4k said:

by taking your time, and planning before doing

I found that one a hard one, initially. TLD looks like a FPS at first glance. But fast reactions really don't play into it that much. They help, sometimes, but it's more of a strategy game - scout, plan, execute.

Just now, Mroz4k said:

naturally, from a hill you will see that there is a wolf in your path

Yeah. High ground, high ground, high ground. Did I mention high ground? High ground!

Just now, theHellraiser said:

unfortunately I didnt have much choice given the situation.the wolf attacked me 15 seconds after the bear attack while I was trying to apply first aid

Well that's just a losing hand then. Usually wolves give bears a pretty wide berth, but on the other hand wolves really love injured prey.

6 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Well that's just a losing hand then. Usually wolves give bears a pretty wide berth, but on the other hand wolves really love injured prey.

yeap exactly I was running away from the bear bleeding because in the past a couple of bears decide to maul me no more than 5 seconds after mauling me previously so I wanted to avoid that by any cost.

16 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Same really goes for that situation you got into. You got mauled by a bear, woke up, and a wolf was attracted to you. But, I reckon he did not charge you right away... you probably had some time before the attack, but your instincts kicked in and you tried to shoot it. Completely forgetting that there was a bear in the area.

situation was pretty dicey as mentioned. the condition I had wouldnt allow me to survive a wolf attack and that point so I wanted to very least injure it so the fight would be sorter and definitely less painful as a second bleed could very much kill me then and there.I did consider the posibility of the bear coming back but I certainly did not expect to come charging at my like a cossack considering I did had a "fair" distance and no line of site

my biggest regret by far was definitely not bringing that emergency stim with me..after the second bear maul I wouldnt survive for sure but maybe that stim would give me enough strength to dash in the whale plant and avoid the catastrophy

Guest jeffpeng

Maybe for the next times....

• Duck. Just duck. You'd be surprised how "invisible" you are to so many creatures if you just crouch. Make it a habit of yours that every time you are in trouble and you don't know yet where to run to: duck. You got mauled by a bear? Duck. You got attacked by a wolf? Duck. You fell down and don't know where you are? Duck. You got lost and need to find your bearings? Duck. You got barked at by a wolf? D... No, actually, don't. Just walk away or start a fire (see below).
  • Don't run away after a mauling. Back away respectfully like accepting gracefully you just got pummeled half to death. Bears will walk away from you after they asserted dominance and showed you who's boss.
  • You don't bleed out instantly. Take a short second to look around AFTER ducking. Maybe walking away and bleeding is better than treating the wound where you are.
  • If a wolf threatens you: start a fire. Even if a wolf is already charging: start a fire. Any fire, doesn't matter with what. Wolves will run from starting a fire no matter if it succeeds or not. Bears, however, don't give a snow about fire. Ask @BareSkin
  • Shooting a wolf that is already charging is usually a waste of ammunition. You have to be quick, precise and lucky and know what you are doing on top of that to hit a charging wolf. They don't just seem to dodge - they do dodge.
  • Shooting a bear that is already charging is actually your only chance. Once they are on their hinds there is nothing to deter them, except....
  • The flare gun. Everything on Great Bear Island will run from a flare gun shot, no matter if you hit or not. If you explore unknown / dangerous territory: Bring a loaded flare gun and have it ready. You find an easy to reach flare gun in the crashed train cart in the gorge in the Ravine between Coastal Highway and Mystery Lake. For several reasons the rifle and the bow are rather bad options as reactive defensive weapons. The flare gun is the opposite: it is hard to use offensively, but will deter anything and everything. It's the ultimate joker.

7 minutes ago, theHellraiser said:

putting it straight up that way yeah I am pretty fearful of bears,I do consider them fairly dangerous even if you dont exactly provoke them, had a few runs on them with grandpa years back hunting some rabit and boars in the woods on a mountain.

They are scary for sure. And they are supposed to be - they wreck your condition, destroy your items, they are not afraid of the burning fire, and they are nosey bastards... they like to investigate any noise in their area, things like rifle shots attract them from far away. But, they are not so scary once you observe them for long enough to learn how they act. Here are some tips if you are interested:

Bears are territorial. You will only see them in specific locations, and in each game, they will only be found in that place where you spotted them first. This makes avoiding them easier once you first encounter them.
lets get back to the lesson of "observe your surroundings" - in TLD, that does not literally mean "observe". It means use all your senses. Listening is sometimes far more important thing than watching. Bear make a LOT of noise. You can hear them approaching with heavy, slow thumps. Additionally, you will hear ravens croaking (not crows, but ravens. Different kind of bird croaks around carcasses, and different type of bird can be heard around bears. Distinguishing that sound will warn you that you are close to a bear.
Bears are not as aggressive as wolves - when they spot you from further away, they will walk towards you slowly, to investigate. You have the option to drop a decoy and leave, or turn around and make away. Sometimes it is worth to drop the heaviest things like the rifle to make yourself faster and dodge the bear. They will only attack you if you are close enough, or if you attack them. You should try to avoid them, and if they take an interest, break their line of sight and get out of the area.

To defend yourself from a bear charge, you should always carry signal pistol. Make sure it is loaded - and if bear takes an interest in you, the first thing you should do is switch to a signal pistol. If it charges you, fire it, at the bear - it is the only way to break the bear charge at this moment. If you are lucky, you may even stick the flare in the bear which causes massive bleeding to the beast. It is one of the easier way to kill a bear head-on (though it is safer to shoot it from a ledge where it cant reach you).

Trust me, after a while, you will be more worried about wolves then bears - they are far more obnoxious.

17 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Oh, I highly disagree. It was a very precarious situation for sure, but it was not a losing  hand. Nothing in TLD is a losing hand... in fact, it is in the moment when you accept things as "hopeless" when you trully die in survival scenario. That applies to common life as a wisdom, too, by the way...

It was survivable. But you panicked, and made a mistake, which led to a death. No worries, it happens - TLD is a learning curve :) 

What I would do in that situation:
Got mauled by a bear. Woke up. Bleeding. Immediately looks around. Spots a wolf, coming my way... hit 1, pulls out a flare. Pops the flare. Turn around to see the bear walking away. Start running in the opposite direction from bear and the approaching wolf. Running away, wolf pursues. Look around, nothing in the vicinity, just wolf approaching. Start a campfire with an accelerant. Puts extra wood on fire just to be sure. Check my condition - infection risk 55%, still bleeding. Pop the disinfectant for the first time. Infection risk 5 %. Pop the disinfectant the second time. Infection cleared. Bandage me.
Outcome: Lost 50% condition to bear. Lost another 5% condition to bleeding that I did not attend right away. But, I got myself out of the imminent danger, protected myself from the wolf who is pissed off standing by the campfire, roaring at me. I cleared my infection and bandaged my bleeding, and now I am ready to deal with the wolf without having to worry about a bear whom I left a safe distance away.

It is all about thinking about what I am going to do next - even as the bear is mauling me, I know I can't do anything to fight it, so I stop struggling in my mind and think of what is next. Not to mention I had a plan what to do if I get mauled... - and step 1 of my plan is to get myself away from the area. Do not ever treat your wounds right after getting attacked.

There have been many situations where I thought "that was it" - but I pulled through with 3% of condition and made a full recovery. There is NOTHING more rewarding in TLD then surviving a scenario like that. The adrenaline you get from all of that is uncomparable to any other feeling in a video game I ever had, thanks chiefly to the permadeath concept.

Do me a favour, guys - next time you are about to die, fight teeth and nails to cling to life - you will enjoy it like nothing else.

brother you are actually opened and solved a problem of mine. in this entirety of my gameplay not once have I found a flare gun and it started to get strange after so many hours and world resets to never find one.is it not possible to be randomized like other items and simply exists in specific locations?

Also so far my shooting reactions are on point so far which was the reason I attempted that shot. shot the bear when it charged again but that shot right between the eyes didnt even flitch the damn thing.that said I am no marksman but my "panic" shots so far were always accurate.maybe I was at fault for trusting that this one good bullet might end my troubles.I try to avoid confronting bears and wolfs if I can avoid it.I hunt a bear when I feel I have the upper hand and a place to run away to in arms distance so my inexpirience at fighting multiple carnivores at the same time made my inability to handle the situation pretty obvious

13 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Don't run away after a mauling. Back away respectfully like accepting gracefully you just got pummeled half to death. Bears will walk away from you after they asserted dominance and showed you who's boss.

I have been in quite a few maulings in my time... I have never seen a bear just turn around and wrecking me the second time just because I stood up. They always seem to walk away, and only come for the round two if I do something to provoke it, or if I stop in the area and dont get myself scarce. In real life, I would not reccomend it, but in TLD, you should turn the other way and run as hell till you are a pretty distance away.

15 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

If a wolf threatens you: start a fire. Even if a wolf is already charging: start a fire. Any fire, doesn't matter with what. Wolves will run from starting a fire no matter if it succeeds or not. Bears, however, don't give a snow about fire. Ask @BareSkin

Well, they dont always start running - but it will definitedly stop their charge and that is enough.

3 minutes ago, theHellraiser said:

brother you are actually opened and solved a problem of mine. in this entirety of my gameplay not once have I found a flare gun and it started to get strange after so many hours and world resets to never find one.is it not possible to be randomized like other items and simply exists in specific locations?

Yes, two of them exist in specific locations. I will not tell you where since I dont want to ruin you the suprise of finding out :) There is a chance of a third one, maybe even more of them as a part of randomized loot within the game. But there are always at least two in a game.

19 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Shooting a wolf that is already charging is usually a waste of ammunition. You have to be quick, precise and lucky and know what you are doing on top of that to hit a charging wolf. They don't just seem to dodge - they do dodge.

This is something interesting, I think I observed a bug here. Thing is - hitting a wolf before it reaches you, even if charging, should send it running away. It is not easy to hit them, though - but if you do from far away, they will start running away. Bow, rifle - both weapons work the same way.

I did notice that if you hit them very closely to you, they take you into a struggle, but tha struggle only does minimal damage and ends as soon as you go down and choose your weapon to defend yourself. So it actually can be helpful to shoot a charging wolf. It is just very difficult to do. Generally I would agree that you shouldnt try to shoot them. Like you suggested, it is better to try and build a fire, using the button 4 for quick campfire placement.

24 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Shooting a bear that is already charging is actually your only chance. Once they are on their hinds there is nothing to deter them, except....

Only if you have a rifle, and dont have a distress pistol. I never actually carry a rifle. If I got charged by a bear, I would simply accept my fate and started working on my post-operation recovery plan while the teddy bear is playing with my poor body. I am generally not in favour of shooting at bears charging because it never seems to work for me. Even in WINTERMUTE ep. 2, I would generally use my distress pistol over the rifle.

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, Mroz4k said:

Nothing in TLD is a losing hand

There are losing hands in TLD. How you get there is usually your fault. But being attacked 5 seconds after being mauled probably means he had no margin whatsoever and being that hurt I wouldn't count on a flare deterring the wolf. A fire, yes, just a flare (not flare gun) ... probably not, or not long enough. But - sure. Basically your approach here is near perfect. Except I would never disinfect before bandaging. Is there a reason why I should?

is it not possible to be randomized like other items and simply exists in specific locations?

The flare guns on Timberwolf Mountain and the one on the Ravine are fixed. They are always there, on every run, on every difficulty. I'm not sure the one in HRV is fixed, in fact I think it's not. On Stalker and easier you can find flare shells in the world, but never actually a flare gun except on those three locations. On Interloper you will find flare shells only with the flare guns. 

Just now, Mroz4k said:

I have been in quite a few maulings in my time... I have never seen a bear just turn around and wrecking me the second time just because I stood up. They always seem to walk away, and only come for the round two if I do something to provoke it, or if I stop in the area and dont get myself scarce. In real life, I would not reccomend it, but in TLD, you should turn the other way and run as hell till you are a pretty distance away.

If the bear doesn't maul you again - like you and I said - why would you run like hell? Just walk away, as calm and collected as possible. No use in running into a wolf running away from a bear that was leaving anyways. Maybe I'm missing a point here.

1 minute ago, jeffpeng said:

There are losing hands in TLD. How you get there is usually your fault. But being attacked 5 seconds after being mauled probably means he had no margin whatsoever and being that hurt I wouldn't count on a flare deterring the wolf.

No, there are not. Being attacked 5 seconds after getting mauled means you had a total of 25 seconds of time to come up with a plan. You are right, flare is not perfect, but if you pop a flare, it stops the wolf from reaching a minimal distance and instantly charging - it will go towards you, stop at a threshold and start roaring. Then it charges, or if you take a step towards it. It gives you a decent shot. 
Also, if you are concerned about a flare, not being enough... then you can also create an accelerant fire right at the spot to make the wolf run away right after.

I tend to disinfect first because it used to be that once you bandaged, you couldn't disinfect anymore. Perhaps they changed it... I wouldn't know, this is the old mechanic I know and it is what I do. If my condition was 2%, I would probably bandage at expense of not disinfecting - at which point I would race over to my base to find two injections of adrenaline, to ensure I survive the infection hit as well.

You should always carry at least 1 shot of adrenaline on you. It is a rare thing, but it is better to waste a rare thing then die and lose everything, right? :) 

Here are the things I carry extra on me:

2 shots of adrenaline
Signal pistol, 3 flare rounds, 1 loaded and 2 extra.
Bow and arrows are my weapon of choice
1 extra pair of sport socks
1 extra piece of Cotton toque
1 extra piece of wool mittens
2 bandages
2 cloth
Bottle of disinfectant
1 tea of each
1 set of painkillers (6 pcs)
2 pcs of Antibiotics
1 accelerant, 1x 30 dcl of lantern fuel. I use accelerant in Life or death situations. I use lantern oil if I have the luxury or switching it over the accelerant.

Various other things.

I very very rarely get on a struggle with a wolf that is normally sized.usually I manage that split second shot that will either drop him and semi-bug the animation trying to drop me in the ground but staying up while the struggle drop sound plays or I wound him enough for needing no more than a few clicks to get the hell away from me.

I still try to understand what causes that second maul soon before the previous.I tried to walk back on it in my mind and I couldnt figure it out. sometimes I simply walked away,other times ducked and backtracked slowly and another time running away like a madman. 3 different cases all landing in a second maul soon after all ending with my death ofc or so close to it and not having the supplies to handle it due to early game

to this very moment I do cry a bit inside for the emergency stims because I literally had 3 of them sitting in riken because I was leaving stuff behind to loot and ofc my glorious mind thought "hey I only saw some wolves there.it cant be that bad right?"

11 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

If the bear doesn't maul you again - like you and I said - why would you run like hell? Just walk away, as calm and collected as possible. No use in running into a wolf running away from a bear that was leaving anyways. Maybe I'm missing a point here.

If bear is leaving towards north, and wolf is coming from the south, I would run like hell to the west. Unless this is Stalker where wolves are on steroids, putting distance in between you and stalking wolf is a good idea, because it will follow you but slowly, or at most it will run to catch up with you, but will not charge you. Running away from a bear is the main reason - you might survive a wolf struggle. You will likely not survive two bear hugs in a row. Running some distance away from stalking wolf is good because it gives you time to set up that campfire that will keep you safe - in order to scare a wolf away with a campfire, you need to "start preparing it" - if it catches up with you as you are choosing the fuel, it will not be scared away and you will go into a struggle.

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, Mroz4k said:

This is something interesting, I think I observed a bug here. Thing is - hitting a wolf before it reaches you, even if charging, should send it running away. It is not easy to hit them, though - but if you do from far away, they will start running away. Bow, rifle - both weapons work the same way.

I did notice that if you hit them very closely to you, they take you into a struggle, but tha struggle only does minimal damage and ends as soon as you go down and choose your weapon to defend yourself. So it actually can be helpful to shoot a charging wolf. It is just very difficult to do. Generally I would agree that you shouldnt try to shoot them. Like you suggested, it is better to try and build a fire, using the button 4 for quick campfire placement.

True. I think this is indeed "buggy" or more likely a race condition. The hit still registers, but once the "struggle animation" starts it doesn't end until you chose your means of defense. Then the wolf realizes you shot him .... and bolts.

Just now, Mroz4k said:

Only if you have a rifle, and dont have a distress pistol. I never actually carry a rifle. If I got charged by a bear, I would simply accept my fate and started working on my post-operation recovery plan while the teddy bear is playing with my poor body. I am generally not in favour of shooting at bears charging because it never seems to work for me. Even in WINTERMUTE ep. 2, I would generally use my distress pistol over the rifle.

If you have a rifle shooting them point blank has at least a chance to trigger a critical hit. I don't say it's a reliable defense. Even a bow has a theoretical chance of killing a bear in one shot. Which happened to me a few times, but I also learned the hard way that the flare gun is the better choice here. Or if you actually shot them to hunt them and they spotted you doing it a second shot has a rather good chance to kill the bear as well. In any case: If a bear is charging a shot from rifle or bow will not send him packing. He will either take the shot or die. That's why in Wintermute Ep. II that doesn't work. The bear cannot die - until you shot him to a Swiss cheese.

1 minute ago, theHellraiser said:

I still try to understand what causes that second maul soon before the previous.

Rifle shots scare away wolves, but bears instantly lock onto the place where the shot is coming from, and go investigate. Since the bear was probably still fairly closely, you took the shot, and reset its behaviour into "investigate the source of the shot" - it spotted you in close range and charged you. Rifles are tricky that way.

Also, if wolf or a bear is stalking you, pointing a weapon through sights or a drawn bow at them initiates their charge. That is also something worth remembering. If you are hunting predators "head-on", always drop a decoy first before trying to shoot them. Pointing it at them will make them very mad.

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, Mroz4k said:

Perhaps they changed it

They did.

Just now, Mroz4k said:

Well that list is far longer than mine, and I'm paranoid :D That one really prepares you for everything short of a meteor hit.

Just now, Mroz4k said:

Running some distance away from stalking wolf is good

Ah that was on that specific situation. Yes. In that case running first is probably the best option.

1 minute ago, Mroz4k said:

Rifle shots scare away wolves, but bears instantly lock onto the place where the shot is coming from, and go investigate. Since the bear was probably still fairly closely, you took the shot, and reset its behaviour into "investigate the source of the shot" - it spotted you in close range and charged you. Rifles are tricky that way.

well aware of that sir,was referring to my previous deaths from chain mauls literally 4-5seconds after the first maul, bear taking no more than 3 or 4 steps and coming charging back.I did realize that second shot was my demise on my 93days scenario but only after I had researched and found out that bears actually investigate gun sounds.

Guest jeffpeng

well aware of that sir,was referring to my previous deaths from chain mauls literally 4-5seconds after the first maul, bear taking no more than 3 or 4 steps and coming charging back.I did realize that second shot was my demise on my 93days scenario but only after I had researched and found out that bears actually investigate gun sounds.

Once, I actually threw a stone by accident after being mauled by a bear trying to pick up stuff from the ground. He was very offended. It was actually the same bear form desolation point. Ah, good times. :D 

But in general bears don't do that.

I really really think my observation skills must be awful after getting mauled to be unable to find out what causes it after happening so many times already.

also

22 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Reveal hidden contents

2 shots of adrenaline
Signal pistol, 3 flare rounds, 1 loaded and 2 extra.
Bow and arrows are my weapon of choice
1 extra pair of sport socks
1 extra piece of Cotton toque
1 extra piece of wool mittens
2 bandages
2 cloth
Bottle of disinfectant
1 tea of each
1 set of painkillers (6 pcs)
2 pcs of Antibiotics
1 accelerant, 1x 30 dcl of lantern fuel. I use accelerant in Life or death situations. I use lantern oil if I have the luxury or switching it over the accelerant.

Various other things.

I can understand most of those things but socks?

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

Bears, however, don't give a snow about fire. Ask @BareSkin

Funny thing is, Bareskin 15 (remember, this DesoPoint-only run?) actually learnt that by being mauled by the very same bear...

The place is actually a special configuration, the front of the industrial building is a chokepoint to both wolves and bear, and rabbits in front of the bear den make wolves come for meeting him. Wolves fearing the bear run everywhere, but end up near the bear again and again, or come back chasing more rabbits, etc. The place is actually a full dead end on all sides.

Crouching is the ninja stance. It works really well.

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, BareSkin said:

The place is actually a special configuration, the front of the industrial building is a chokepoint to both wolves and bear, and rabbits in front of the bear den make wolves come for meeting him. Wolves fearing the bear run everywhere, but end up near the bear again and again, or come back chasing more rabbits, etc. The place is actually a full dead end on all sides.

That's actually why I never go there. Never. 

Archived