trip to timberwolf mountain and river valley

theHellraiser

I have about 100 hours on my back, pretty wet behind the ears in some scenarios,playing mostly on custom settings between voya and stalker.

I've spent most of my time in comfort zones(milton,mystery lake,costal highway). did my loot runs around desolation point(where I lost my 93days survival due to a bear attack),muskeg and the broken railroad.

I've taking my time now exploring and trying to learn pleasant valley and I noticed 2 places I have never visited and wanted to avoid looking for maps or other spoiler info regarding them and those are timberwolf and river valley.

are there any relavitely spoiler-free suggestions for those 2 regions?for example to bring a rope or a hacksaw or plenty of supplies due to barren land?

any and all info is highly appreciated

Hushed River Valley - you will want to bring some extra cloth with you. For a weapon, take a bow with at least 8 arrows. One thing you will definitely need is a bedroll. The cooking pot is also useful. Try to keep your gear light, you will need a lot of mobility.

Timberwolf mountain - for this region, you want to pack lightly, it pays if you bring some coffee with you. Also, be sure to take a high durability hacksaw with you. The bedroll is also a necessity. As far as weapons go, I would also recommend a bow, but fewer arrows - 3 ought to be enough.

For both regions I would recommend to pack at least a hatchet as a tool for woodcutting.

Both regions are well worth the visit - especially hushed river valley is beautiful. Just be on your guard, they are regions for more experienced players for a good reason.

10 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

take a bow with at least 8 arrows

recommend a bow, but fewer arrows

I would assume you recommend a bow in both cases due to the heaviness of the rifle or to avoid attracting a bear with gun sounds?

ty for the info m8 will keep those things in mind.also one more question if u dont mind,a normal bedroll would be better or should I craft the bear one?from what I heard river valley has no shelter so I wouldnt want a bear to show up and drag me away like a sack.I think they can attack you even in those snow shelters right?

3 hours ago, theHellraiser said:

playing mostly on custom settings between voya and stalker

Good morning @theHellraiser, and Welcome.

The advice above is excellent but should not cause you to fear these unexplored regions.
Also, I don't want to offer any spoiler advice.

With this in mind:

• TWM is an interesting place, though much colder and larger than the comfort regions, (think FM with mountains and ravines). 
  • HRV is an expansive region and a target rich environment, (think PV size map with river valleys, mountains and cave systems).

Both regions are quite loot-rich in Stalker experience mode and lower, (with no permanent manmade structures in HRV so more bush-craft required).
Both regions are quite demanding at Interloper experience mode and higher, (think only one bedroll per region and low chance for tools and loot).

My advice is to enjoy these amazing unexplored parts of the game and have fun...it will build your appreciation for firewood and daylight as resources.

Best of luck my friend. :coffee:

27 minutes ago, s7mar7in said:

@theHellraiser

Best of luck my friend. :coffee:

tyvm m8,appreciate the warm welcome

1 hour ago, peteloud said:

Take at least one spare bedroll into HRV.  If you have your bedroll destroyed in a bear or wolf attack you could have a big problem.  Also take plenty of cloth for repairing damaged clothes.

was kind of afraid of that.good thing I saw this before I continued,was thinking of scraping an extra bedroll I had for some cloth.thanks for the advice ,much love

On 29. 11. 2018 at 2:06 PM, theHellraiser said:

I would assume you recommend a bow in both cases due to the heaviness of the rifle or to avoid attracting a bear with gun sounds?

ty for the info m8 will keep those things in mind.also one more question if u dont mind,a normal bedroll would be better or should I craft the bear one?from what I heard river valley has no shelter so I wouldnt want a bear to show up and drag me away like a sack.I think they can attack you even in those snow shelters right?

Apologies for kinda delayed response, haven't had the time recently to reply too much.

Well, I prefer bows in general - with plenty of arrows so you have spares in case some of them break, or you stick em into animals which then proceed to run away and die somewhere in a hidden corner. 
You really ought not to bother with a bearskin bedroll for the trip. Honestly, I haven't even really used it too much in games. It has a distinct disadvantage - its heavy, awfully heavy - like 4 kg, I think. Go with the regular one. And the suggestion to take an extra bedroll is fine, though not sure if I would bother - you are likely to find an extra along the way, and if yours gets destroyed in a bear attack, you can always build a snow shelter to sleep in. Advantages of the bearskin bedroll come at late game, when you want to save on firewood for resting, dont mind the extra weight, and are trying to decrease your use of cloth to maintain things.

I have not tested it, but I wouldn't think shelter makes you immune to animals. Always build a fire to keep you safe from predators at night. Bears don't fear fire so don't build your stuff in relative proximity to one, wandering - but as for the "spawned" animals through rest without fire, if you build fire, no such animals will spawn to maul you. So always have a fire nearby. What I would do is stuff the fire into one of the hollowed tree trunks and build a snow shelter close to reap the benefits of the fire as well. If you have a bedroll, sleep in the caves with the campfire. Both of those places are wilderness - you should have no trouble finding firewood for long 12 hour fires in there.

Just now, codfish107 said:

I was able to delete it. Yeah didn't really think if that would be spoiler info or not.

No worries, frankly, almost posted it that way myself, before thinking it through - but as you can imagine, what you mentioned is kind of a very important aspect of the game exploration, not knowing it beforehand is part of the experience :) 

15 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

No worries, frankly, almost posted it that way myself, before thinking it through - but as you can imagine, what you mentioned is kind of a very important aspect of the game exploration, not knowing it beforehand is part of the experience :) 

Yeah i totally get your point of view behind it.

The biggest "gotcha" for those two regions, I think, is to bring a stack of cloth. Most places, it's pretty abundant, but those two regions really lack it. You don't need to keep it with you; you can just dump it all at some supply depot you set up. But definitely bring 20 or so cloth into each region, when you come to go exploring. 

Archived