Camping: Prepare makeshift bedding

Mroz4k

Guest jeffpeng

@Dan_

I do not think the snow shelter and this would actually compete.

The snow shelter is basically a portable mini-cave, like you said. It's warm enough to sleep in non-blizzard conditions in the early to midgame game without a fire. It is auto-windproof. A craftable bed .... actually .... is just a bedroll that is very impractical to use. And arguably rather expensive in comparison. I really don't see the craftable bed replace the snow shelter other than in instances the snow shelter is actually used as a bedroll because you have no bedroll (Thatcher knows what I mean).

Vice versa I wouldn't use a craftable bed in instances I need a snow shelter. I've had more than one instance the snow shelter was the only option I had to make a lost position actually recoverable. My bedroll wouldn't have helped me in those - and so wouldn't a bed that takes 45 minutes to build.

And as for the craftable bedroll .... the bearskin bedroll is a really high priced, more like an achievment than an actual gameplay item. Realisitically you will probably spend your first four bears on coats rather than a bedroll.

I personally would rather be worried that craftable beds actually get used. Most people don't see the wisdom in the snow shelter. Even less people will see the wisdom in the craftable bed since... well most people have a bedroll and most people don't permanently live in a cave.

Personally, I think either we should be able to make the type of leaf bed that that we find in some caves, or they should be removed entirely. 

To me they feel out of place in the game right now.

Somebody made those beds before we got there. So why can't we make them? It's just a pile of branches - it's not exactly a complicated engineering task beyond the skills of our character, it's it? They don't make sense to me as they are.

If I'm honest, I'd rather see them removed as a first preference. They are a fairly recent addition anyway, and the game was fine before that.

But if not, we should definitely be able to improvise the same type of bed for ourselves, if only for consistency. 

On 05/12/2018 at 9:12 AM, jeffpeng said:

@Dan_

I do not think the snow shelter and this would actually compete.

The snow shelter is basically a portable mini-cave, like you said... <rest of text snip>

I get the point, but the biggest difference would be in fire windproofing. The snow shelter has none and a warm cave has it completely covered, I was just arguing that this would be a far superior option even though they're not completely interchangeable, the temp bonus difference kinda doesn't matter since you'd need a fire to sleep outside in the early game anyway. I'm speaking more from a game balance standpoint, I'd never build another SS if a simple improvised bed was available, there's a lot of warm caves out there. 

Still, much like Pillock pointed out, it feels weird to have the branch beds built in the world without the ability to craft one by yourself. The idea is validated and good in my books.

Archived