Gyrocompass and bigger backpack

Serenaq

I know there was a geomagnetic storm and a compass with a magnetic needle will not work. But Mackenzie is a pilot and he would know about a Gyrocompass. A Gyroscope could be build three sticks, fishing line and something round. The Gyrocompass points out true north, is not effected by magnets or metal. 

And i need bigger backpack. 30 kg is not enough. Let me find some outdoor super camping backpack with 60 kg capacity. I'm sure in this area someone ordered a trekking backpack from Amazon before this geomagnetic storm happend. And if anyone thinks it would be to easy, they don't have to use it. 

The only gyrocompasses I've ever seen were not portable.  Maybe "schelp-able".  10kg?  Also, don't they typically need electricity to run?

60kg?  You're a beast! ;) 

Technically you already have a large enough backpack, as you can load yourself up with 60kg.  The only problem is that you do not have the strength to move at more than a snail's pace.  So, I guess what you're really asking for is Steroids.

as someone who lives in the snowy wastes....I would pay good money to watch someone trudge through knee deep snow in a blizzard on a slope with no snowshoes wearing a 60kg backpack... I don't think you have any idea what you are asking for

One tiny gyroscope is in your smartphone. It tells the phone how your holding it, vertical or horizontal. And no they don't need electricity, because gyroscopes are like funny looking spinning tops. I'm sure Mackenzie knows a little bit of physics. And he would know that a spinning top with three degrees of freedom ( a spinning top inside a spinning top inside another spinning top or spinning topCeption) would point towards true north after maybe 1hour and 30 minutes. I admit it's not the most convenient method on earth. But it is not impossible! And then he would know where to go or how to hold the map. 

Oki, then just let me find a sled. So Mackenzie can put his superduper trekking backpack on a sled. I'm sure in a snowy mountain area there must be sleds. 

Heh... these tiny gyros found in mobile phones of today are solid-state devices, integrated circuits... in fact, there's no spinning parts inside them any more, but tiny quartz resonators oscillating in a certain fashion... thus, fried by the aurora... along with the magnetometers, GPS, etc.

What you did quite correctly describe, a mechanical gyro, well... McKenzie's Beaver is in pieces, it's cockpit ended up who knows where, all flight instruments likely shattered. If he did somehow manage to recover the nav unit from his plane, and it survived the crash intact, after 5 days (days it took him to get through his injuries) I guess it will have winded down by then.

I just pointed out that a gyroscope does not have to weigh 10 kg. 

But Mackenzie is able to draw a map (in scale) with charcoal why can't he draw a little compass rose on the side and turn his map while he walks through a geomagnetic storm.

I just want some quality of life addition in this game. I don't want to tilt my head all the time when i look at the map. Now i have to sip on rosehip tea to heal my sprained neck from tilting all the time.

And i still want a super duper big af trekking backpack and i found some with 70 l capacity on Amazon. 

4 hours ago, Serenaq said:

I'm sure Mackenzie knows a little bit of physics

I'm quite sure not. This simple guy didn't even understand basic life skills, or human interaction. Not incompatible tho, we agree. The mechanical gyroscope needs energy for spinning, and be shielded completely from air movement. Given the precision needed to make it work with 3 sticks, and cured gut and "some kind of ball" (which actually very very hard to find), that would require much more genius-skills and tools than "a bit of physics". I personally know a lot of physics, and wouldn't even know how to build or use that thing.

That being said, even of working, it'd be usable only in a sheltered inside and require a lot of time to stabilize, both things you don't have when you need orientation, once lost in the middle of Pleasant Valley.

1 hour ago, Serenaq said:

I just want some quality of life addition in this game.

Well, are you sure we're speaking of TLD? :D

1 hour ago, Serenaq said:

And i still want a super duper big af trekking backpack and i found some with 70 l capacity

You backpack actually has infinite capacity, if you look at it carefully. A better way of asking it would be to be able to find/craft snowalking shoes to reduce your speed lost when carrying tons of stuff.

Guest jeffpeng

You can "easily" carry around 50 kg of stuff in the game while remaining "reasonably" fast. And that's actually quite a lot for someone running around in the woods in winter. I know how heavy 30 kilograms are, because that's what you carry around in the military. And considering you carry that around just that a whole day: that's heavy. Raising the limit to 60 would allow you to haul around 80 kilograms on your back over long distances in harsh weather (yes, -15°C plus winds is harsh weather plus for most people coming from society).

I get that the "it's realistic / unrealistic" argument cannot always be applied and I am actually a big advocate of that stance, but in this particular case the weight is actually tuned very good as it is - in my opinion. That there is a meaningful trade off between carry capacity, mobility, exposure to animal attacks and things you can keep and things you cannot is one of the key choices in the game. Just the 5 kg from the moose hide satchel alter the way you play the game so significantly I'm not yet convinced it's healthy for the game - and so I don't think the changes the OP proposes would be healthy at all.

About the gyroscope: to build something that roughly works well enough so you can preserve spin angular momentum long enough to give the gyro time to find a crude approximation of geological north .... wow, that doode can't even make makeshift mittens from socks. I really don't see him pull that off even considering he has something with good ball bearings like a bicycle to work from. Plus I guess you underestimate how obscure gyro physics are to most people, even to those reasonably well educated. Also I wouldn't know how to build a handheld version even with all the power tools I have.

But, to be fair, I get why you want such a thing. That the map doesn't tilt is something I have noticed many people would complain about. (It drives my wife nuts, for example). And there is a much much easier way to determine north: the sun. Even initiate scouts know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, and that - being very much on the northern hemisphere of BC, Canada - it arcs southwards. So I think it would be a reasonable quality of life change that the map would turn if you so wanted to without breaking immersion.

That being said I use the map button once per game: right after spawn to see in which region I am in. I used to get lost in TLD myself, but after some serious but well spent time in the game I can navigate pretty much every corner of the world by landscape. And I think it's great that the game gives you the opportunity to learn to do so instead of make your map turn for you. But I'm that kind of masochist.

Just my two euro cents.

This is how i (not Mackenzie) would build a gyroscope. i  would need 4 diffrent size circle thingys (like cans soup, dogfood, catfood and the smallest canned hamsterfood) a handdrill and some screws with nut, a nail and a ball of somekind and some fishingline.  and then you spin it wait 1 hour 30 minutes and then you see in which way it is tilted (like my head from this static map) there is north and south. That's 11 Grade Physicsclass stuff, blabla momentum minus blabla 9.8something gravity plus some force blabla equals that thing points north. If i can do it. Mackenzie can do it, too. I just want a compassrose on the map and the ability to turn it like i want to. 

Easysneazy. 

Quality of my life( the person on the desk with tilted head) not Mackenzie he can suffer i don't care. I just want him to be able to carry all my shoppingbags ...i mean animal-skins/guts that i find. What's the harm in allowing more weight, realism? The whole game is not realistic. 

That's what i would do. Find a couple wolf puppies, domesticate them and let them pull my sled.

- 15 degrees fahrenheit is harsh, - 15 degrees celsius is normal winter. At least where i come from. 

19 minutes ago, Serenaq said:

What's the harm in allowing more weight,

The core of the game is about making hard choices, and that's deleting at least one.

Honestly even with some 9.8blablabla, I wouldn't build anything that needs 1h to roughly point north when I can just look at the Sun. Real problem is I think the Sun position is not coherent over all maps if I remember correctly, i.e. position of maps between themselves (from memory, at least Broken Railroad also has Broken Sun).

I strongly agree the maps should turn, even if it's been several eternities that I didn't actually open the in-game map feature. Can't afford to draw it in the cold.

On a more general perspective, we often see people asking for adding this or that to make the game easier, and talking about what they would do IRL. I'm still angry myself about not being able to get warmup bonus with boiling water. But I have the feeling they misunderstood something: TLD is a game about making choices, not a survival simulator.

Guest jeffpeng
44 minutes ago, Serenaq said:

This is how i (not Mackenzie) would build a gyroscope. i  would need 4 diffrent size circle thingys (like cans soup, dogfood, catfood and the smallest canned hamsterfood) a handdrill and some screws with nut, a nail and a ball of somekind and some fishingline.  and then you spin it wait 1 hour 30 minutes and then you see in which way it is tilted (like my head from this static map) there is north and south. That's 11 Grade Physicsclass stuff, blabla momentum minus blabla 9.8something gravity plus some force blabla equals that thing points north. If i can do it. Mackenzie can do it, too. I just want a compassrose on the map and the ability to turn it like i want to. 

I seriously and genuinely want to see you build that and have it work. For science, you know.

6 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Real problem is I think the Sun position is not coherent over all maps if I remember correctly, i.e. position of maps between themselves (from memory, at least Broken Railroad also has Broken Sun).

Still wouldn't prevent the devs from drawing a "working" compass rose :D

8 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

TLD is a game about making choices, not a survival simulator.

+1

But the sun always shines in philadephia not in canada :) The gryocompasss is just a plausible reason that Mackenzie could be able to draw a compassrose onto his map and then turn his map from time to time. To make navigating him a bit easier for me. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, game should be hard blablabla. Not for me, i just want walk around and stuff every bunny, wolf, deer or moose into my backpack. Then bring it into my shelter and then do it again. Because i want to relax a little when i come home from work. And a sled and the big af trekking backpack are just the plausible reasons why i could be implemented int o the game. 

Dear Santa, It's is still on my wishlist or console commands would be fine, too :) 

I had the best teachers in the world, my grandpa and my daddy. They taught me how to fix and build almost everything :) And i have the sniper percision (when i draw eyeliner) :)  

Guest jeffpeng

Well the "stuff every bunny in my backpack" thing ain't gonna happen, period. As well as console commands. Goes against HL's design philosophy pretty much 180° and I'd be willing to bet a whole lot on that we ain't gonna see that officially in the game ever. But "solutions" for that particular problem do exist. If you ask Dr. Google the right questions he just might answer.

I know about mods and cheats. That's not what i asked for. I want a big af trekking backpack/sled, so i can do my weekly shopping in the woods. And a turnable map. 

I don't want to be forced to the darkside :) Why should it be against HL's design philosophy, when i just wanna waddle around in the world they created, just to explore, hunt and then craft me some new wolfsocks. 

I really do not believe they're sitting in their devs office, saying stuff like  'we just want dem hardcore gamers, we do not want those lame kittybuttox exploring players.  

18 hours ago, Serenaq said:

superduper trekking backpack on a sled

Sleds would be good, even a simple one like a travois.  But a regular old sled sled wouldn't take more than a bunch of line and some wood, reclaimed or otherwise.  

53 minutes ago, Jolan said:

Sleds would be good, even a simple one like a travois.  But a regular old sled sled wouldn't take more than a bunch of line and some wood, reclaimed or otherwise.  

OMG there are diffrent kind of sleds, i really did not think of that. My mind was genuinely using the image of my sled from childhood :) I'll go and step up my sled game and do a little research on Amazon :) 

I actually wouldn't be totally against a sled... that we could make ourselves....bit of pelts and cured gut for lashing, cured birch saplings fashioned into runners  and some scrap metal... probably isn't doable within the framework of the game as is....but it would be nice

2 hours ago, Cr41g said:

I actually wouldn't be totally against a sled... that we could make ourselves....bit of pelts and cured gut for lashing, cured birch saplings fashioned into runners  and some scrap metal... probably isn't doable within the framework of the game as is....but it would be nice

I'd be fine with that too, if using the sled makes your calories consumption higher proportional to the carried weight. Also you couldn't benefit this in transition caves and tree bridges, and that would prevent you from climbing high slopes and ropes (forget TWM, HRV, Ravine bridge...)

23 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

I'd be fine with that too, if using the sled makes your calories consumption higher proportional to the carried weight. Also you couldn't benefit this in transition caves and tree bridges, and that would prevent you from climbing high slopes and ropes (forget TWM, HRV, Ravine bridge...)

very much agree

I like the idea of player-pulled sleds. I reckon loading things on that would slow the player significantly less then if put into the inventory would be great - only if this behavior applied to flat terrain, or when walking down the slope. On the contrary, pulling the sled up-hill would make the movement slower. Additionally, it should strain fatigue more if pulling it uphill. I think the general idea of sleds would be very difficult to program, but also very immersive and rewarding in the end -so I am still hopeful Hinterland will consider this in the end.

I also disagree with the need of "bigger" backpack suggestion. I have a good idea what it is like to trek with 30 kg of gear in summer conditions, and I have nothing but respect for the game character for going with up to 50 kg in the snow. More would be just unrealistic...

If there were ever backpacks introduced into the game, I would want to see a backpack of lower, 10 kg space worth being the starting equipment, with the need for the player to find a bigger one - biggest one would be the 30 kg we have right now. And the limit would still be surpassable like it is right now, with bigger backpacks simply allowing you to pack more gear before slowing you down. I like this idea avenue because it would help prepare backpacks for individual tasks, and have them waiting by the door where you could just easily change in between them according to what your intention will be for the day.

Archived