Is Mystery Lake in the Upsidown

TropicalSurvivor

It is not just you. There are many regions which have the sun coming out in wrong places. This is caused by the fact that the regions did not come out in the same update - but rather have been spread over many years of the game development. With Mystery lake being the very first... long, long before the maps were a thing.

You may notice weird sun position changes when you cross from one region to another. Not sure about this in particular, but I think the sun does an insane position jump if you go from Mystery Lake to Forlorn Muskeg. Because Mystery Lake was added first, and Forlorn Muskeg significantly later.

This is a minor but to some people quite obvious hiccup that the Hinterland should fix at some point. Navigation by the sky is something most of us would expect in a survival game. It is one of very few oversights in the game, not that I want to criticize :)

I accept your comment @Mroz4k, but for me it still very difficult to accept that the Sun have different paths in each region because all regions are on the same island. I know that is a game and not reality, but it's too weird for me.

I can't agree with you @hozz1235 because the geo-magnetic event that occurred in the game can't do this. A geo-magnetic storm can change Earth's magnetic shield and not its axis. I mean, a geo-magnetic storm can change Earth's magnetic poles and not the geographic poles.

Pretty sure that was meant as a joke. 

The reason they are different has nothing to do with the island. It's because the regions were added consecutively over 5 years of the development of the game. And nobody accounted for sun movement in new regions compared to the original region - mystery lake. 

It's been a while since I checked, but I believe there are still four regions / transition zones with inconsistent sun movement.... Mystery Lake, Broken Railroad,  Winding River (sun rises in the west in each of the three) and Pleasant Valley (sun rises in the north).  And two in-game charcoal maps without north being at the top of the map (when compared to the in-game Great Bear Island map)... these are Mystery Lake and Winding River (north is to the left-side of the charcoal map in both cases).

15 hours ago, codfish107 said:

I have noticed that some regions aren't orientated the same way on the charcoal map as they are on the world map, not to mention that some user maps (like whiteberries) versions are orientated differently then the world map and charcoal map.

PV!  I have to turn my paper map sideways to orient myself :S

On 12/3/2018 at 5:03 AM, TropicalSurvivor said:

I can't agree with you @hozz1235 because the geo-magnetic event that occurred in the game can't do this. A geo-magnetic storm can change Earth's magnetic shield and not its axis. I mean, a geo-magnetic storm can change Earth's magnetic poles and not the geographic poles.

Perhaps it wasn’t the geomagnetic storm that changed the Earth’s axis tilt, but instead whatever changed the Earth’s axis tilt also caused the geomagnetic storm. 

After all, we are trapped forever in the first day of spring. 

This topic has come up once wayyy back in the past, and my dim memory is that there was an adjustment made to sun movement by Hinterland and some official comment (could be contained in the changelist of one of the older patches/updates). I haven't checked sun movement in recent versions (gah, hardly time to play these days), but it appears from the comments here something is still off. If it bugs you, this could be something for the wishlist section...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah imma pull this topic out of the dirt real quick because this really bothers me a lot. I first noticed this in PV back when I played that the first time and I actually got very, very lost because of it. I just assumed there was no way in hell a game like this would have the sun not rise where it should. So then I also thought well, maybe that's connected to the geomagnetic event, you know, maybe earth's rotation changed? But then I fond it's not consistent at all...

I really think this should have been fixed a long-ass time ago because it's a major, major blunder. I gotta be honest and say that I don't even understand what the order or the way the maps have been added has to do with this? How exactly does the time ML was added to the game in relation to the other maps affect its skyboxes? The game has to know where North is on each map without checking its place in the context of the other maps, does it not? Because then this should essentially just be a quick rotation to fix, no? I'd really like to see this addressed because navigation is such a huge thing in this game and the sun is literally the first thing anyone ever looks to to determine cardinal directions so  this is a major blunder.

Archived