Help a fellow survivor?

JaySovereign

Hello, I've been playing this game for quite a while (over 500 hours) and very recently, I've been having a lot of trouble when it comes to motionsickness. Before, it wasn't so bad, I'd just have to avoid going indoors for too long, but now it's nauseating to do anything at all. I love this game to bits and I'd hate to stop playing because of something like this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do try to take anti-nausea medicine before I play, but it simply isn't working anymore. I'd appreciate your help, thank you!

Guest jeffpeng

Well, the most common things with this sort of thing (something I never had to deal with myself) are to play in a well lit room and have sufficient distance to the screen. The philosophy behind this is to give your field of view enough static space so you don't "expect" movement from what you see anymore. As far as I understand simulator sickness stems from being immersed into what you see so much that you begin to feel the disconnect between what you see and what your "gyros" are experiencing. By giving your eyes things to look at that are not on the screen you don't "fall" into the game as much.

Another thing: A friend of mine who has been fighting this forever is adamant about having "perfect" frame rates to avoid this. As things are, he will drop pretty much every setting on every game as far as he must to achieve as much as fps as he can.

As a last bit: there is the option to disable sprained ankle wobble in display settings, named "Dampen Camera Motions". No idea if that will help you. Probably not since you mentioned avoiding indoors.

My guess would go at "screen too large" for the distance (happens more often now they are cheaper), and also the framerate of the monitor maybe if you play on a TV? We see a lot of different framerates nowadays, and too much/less information on the edges of your vision will trigger sickness. TLD is a game that heavily encourages you to get closer to the screen ("is there a wolf? can't see crap in this weather!"). I've had to call the doctor cause my neck wasn't moving anymore after a long TLD session the evening before that...

Side note: no problem ever deserves taking medicines on regular basis, because anyway your body will get used to having it, and the effect disappears. Medicines are for medical conditions, be confident your body is working well, and change the context you put it in ;)

Place a brightly colored circle in the center of your screen that clashes with the game itself. That'll help tell your brain it is watching something and not living something. It helped my girlfriend who suffered from motion sickness quite a bit while we were playing.

Archived