Bored of Interloper? Try sleepwalking!

BareSkin

Hi everyone,

I've already exposed my views on the problems the gameplay has, that makes Interloper a bit easier than what was expected by Hinterland, in my opinion. It all boils down to whatever mistake you do, a good night of sleep on calories will fix it. That's not realistic, and that made my behave strangely (starving all day long, eating 750 calories before sleeping) and that was kind of an immersion-breaker to me.

So I started playing with Custom Settings a bit and ended up with the Sleepwalker modes. Harder than Interloper, easier than DeadMan. Sleeping won't heal anymore, but I discovered you're still encouraged to sleep long stretches by internal game mechanics. Playing it also showed that "Rest as a resource" is not that much relevant, as sleeping is an enemy. Hibernating becomes a viable solution only when at 100% health, in this case you're in a SW level that's too easy for your skills.

Now that I've tested this mode and am happy with it, I dare posting in a more general section of the forums, hoping some of you will give it a try. I'll continue reporting my Sleepwalker Level1 run in the "survival stories" sub-section, then I'll report my next run, a sleepwalker 4 there too, so feel free to use this thread for saying anything you want.

Just one last remark: the philosophy works with any difficulty (Pilgrim/Voyageur/Stalker): just take the corresponding template in Custom Settings, set "At Rest Condition Recovery Rate" to "None", and that's it, you'll have a sleepwalking mode.

image.thumb.png.ce98a842722d0689e242470d1bfd21f1.png

Good assumption for the roleplayers / immersion:

Before you end up alone in the wild, you had a loving family. You wonder if they are fine, if the catastrophe hit them or not, you worry a lot about your partner and kids.

When you’re awake, the survival instinct of your animal cells and brain takes priority. But at night, you have nightmares. You see them torn apart, enslaved, killed by Nature or by humans. You see their bodies, frozen in the family house.

In your nightmares, you constantly fight to help them without any success whatsoever, you move your real body in every way you possibly can before waking up, sweating and horrified. When you don’t dream, you sleepwalk, and all this activity prevents you from recovering from the daily survival challenge.

Since the First Flare, nights became your greatest enemy. Every morning, you swear you’ll never go to bed ever again. But Nature commands otherwise. You are a Sleepwalker.

Mode
Fictional Badge name
Copypastable Custom Code

SW-Pilgrim Voyager-ready +38w-gsDw-KFCU-hi15-RAAA              
    SW-Voyageur Stalker-ready +29k-lpWh-KJXp-hqx9-rgAA              
    SW-Stalker Interloper-ready 8lmY-mmpa-Kbo/-xyqG-7gAA              
    SW0 Proudly Arrogant 8sDM-qj4P-KxuH-yaKO-LgEA              
    SW1 Confident 8sDM-qj4P-KxuT-x6KO-LgEA              
    SW2 Capable 8sDM-qj4P-Kxuf-xaKO-LgEA              
    SW3 Soft Masochist 8sDM-qj4P-Kxur-w6KO-LgEA              
    SW4 Alpine Hunter 8sHM-bj8P-Kxur-w6KO-LgEA              
    SW5 Alcoholics Anonymous 8sHM-uj4P-Kxur-w6KO-LgEA              
    SW6 Skeleton 8sHM-uj8P-Kxur-w6KO-LgEA              
    SW7 Opium Addict 8sHM-+j8P-Kxur-w6KO-LgEA              
    SW8 Suicidal 8sHM-/j8P-Kxur-w6KO-LgEA              
    SW9 Baby DeadMan 8sHM-/j8P-Kxu3-waKO-LgEA

Guest jeffpeng

Funny. I was torn between levels 3 and 4 for my next story (I will retire Thatch as he really already has accomplished everything and more than he set out to). But now that you go SW4 .... I can hardly go SW3 :D. I'm really exited for this for quite some time, and I think it's great you'll get going as well!

8 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Funny. I was torn between levels 3 and 4 for my next story (I will retire Thatch as he really already has accomplished everything and more than he set out to). But now that you go SW4 .... I can hardly go SW3 :D. I'm really exited for this for quite some time, and I think it's great you'll get going as well!

This SW4 is actually the 3.5 I've spoken with @Dan_: an SW3 with very high Calorie Burn. Since it resembles a bit Interloper settings, I pushed it to there: it's just an Interloper with the healing rates tuned down. Named it Alpine Hunter (french elite mountain force) in reference to Spetsnaz idea.

I actually had a hard time choosing which one was more difficult between SW3 and SW4 settings: the higher Fatigue of SW3 might actually be a bigger problem that the hunger of SW4. Since it forces you to sleep more, and sleep is the enemy... SW3 is less hungry but can do less things, gets over weighted more easily, more sleep means less recovery... that's a trade off.

Anyway, I'm not finished yet with SW1 Bareskin11, so pick the one you like, my SW4 run is only a project as of now

Guest jeffpeng

I guess SW4 still is the harder pick. It forces you to act more. You can do more, sure, but you really need to as well. In any case that's what I'll try. And I'm really excited for it :D

2 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I guess SW4 still is the harder pick. It forces you to act more. You can do more, sure, but you really need to as well. In any case that's what I'll try. And I'm really excited for it :D

Can't wait to read it! Rules are Loper-like: 2 feats, random spawn. (I edited the OP to show the rules)

• 1 month later...

Updated codes for v1.45 since I can't edit the OP:

image.thumb.png.82b4fb44ddc9716623946fa0734e903e.png

Copy-pastable Codes:

Challenge goal: Winter has come - Survive it until Spring arrives in 100 days [2 feats, random spawn]          
      Fictional Badge name Custom Code              
    SW-Pilgrim Voyager-ready +38w-gsDw-KGCU-hi15-RAAA              
    SW-Voyageur Stalker-ready +29k-lpWh-KJXp-hqx9-rgAA              
    SW-Stalker Interloper-ready 8lmY-mmpa-KbpD-ByyG-LgEA              
    SW0 Proudly Arrogant 8MDM-qj4P-KxuD-iaGO-7gAA              
    SW1 Confident 8MDM-qj4P-KxuP-h6GO-7gAA              
    SW2 Capable 8MDM-qj4P-Kxub-haGO-7gAA              
    SW3 Soft Masochist 8MDM-qj4P-Kxun-g6GO-7gAA              
    SW4 Alpine Hunter 8sHM-bj8P-Kxun-g6GO-7gAA              
    SW5 Alcoholics Anonymous 8MHM-uj4P-Kxun-g6GO-7gAA              
    SW6 Skeleton 8MHM-uj8P-Kxun-g6GO-7gAA              
    SW7 Opium Addict 8MHM-+j8P-Kxun-g6GO-7gAA              
    SW8 Aspirant Deadman 8MHM-/j8P-Kxun-g6GO-7gAA              
    SW9 DeadMan on vacation 8MHM-/j8P-Kxuz-gaGO-7gAA

Now, I've been experimenting with the opposite. You only heal while sleeping. I have thirst set to max, so on a good day, when you go to bed the INSTANT you finish drinking you can get 8 hours of sleep without thirst causing damage. Otherwise, you can get most 7 hours of sleep. With low sleeping restoration, I get a very poor return.

For the most part, get a max of +10% in a bed and +8% in a bedroll recovery sleeping max hours.

Now, when I turn off healing while sleeping, I can't use Herbal tea anymore. Yes, only +6% total, but when you can recover max of 10% in a bed, that is HUGE.

Whereas when I tried sleepwalker, only healing while awake, I found I could heal +1% an hour for most of the day for at least +12% condition. It's harder to tell now that they removed the percentage from the condition indicator, however. I have not tested things on Redux.

Since my time has become limited and I haven't dedicated myself to actually wear testing it, any chance you could give me a break down of healing times with playing sleepwalker on Thirst, Warmth, Sleep, Calories all on Very High and Sleep healing off, and Healing while awake on Low, then reverse it, (sleep while awake off, and healing while sleeping on Low).

Also, I believe you cannot use Herbal tea while heal while sleeping is off. However, I know a bunch has changed in 1.44. The double boiler bug is gone and trust me, I miss it. I really, really miss it. I have also discovered some of my favorite wind proof spots are no long wind proof. (and yet they cannot fix the cattail bug).

I'm just trying to figure out which is less healing overall.

Also, I was under the impression that if healing is off on sleeping, but walking around healing is on,  You would still heal while asleep, just you only heal 1% an hour. It doesn't stack when you have sleep while healing on. Again, have not had time to test it. This past month has been a nightmare and I barely have time to move my stuff to the new place, much less clock in a few hours wear testing the game configurations.

Thanks in advance,

The Quonset Manager.

7 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Also, I was under the impression that if healing is off on sleeping, but walking around healing is on,  You would still heal while asleep, just you only heal 1% an hour. It doesn't stack when you have sleep while healing on. Again, have not had time to test it.

This is not the case. If "At Rest Recovery" is set to None, you get zero healing from sleep, regardless of the other condition recovery setting. This way coffee gains a lot of added value because you want to avoid sleeping as much as possible. 

If you swap it round and have only recovery when sleeping, tea gets that added value instead, and coffee actually becomes a negative influence because you want to be tired so you can maximise sleep time. 

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other, I think. 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:42 AM, TheEldritchGod said:

any chance you could give me a break down of healing times with playing sleepwalker on Thirst, Warmth, Sleep, Calories all on Very High and Sleep healing off, and Healing while awake on Low

The settings you describe are SW7+, "low" is +0.25%/h (1%/4h, 3%/12h). Real life testing of SW7 (Fatigue Very High = you sleep a lot) shows that you can basically heal 3%/day while doing nothing that consumes Fatigue: I went 95%-98%-101%-104% on 3 consecutive days with Bareskin 31 alternating making a jacket and sleeping. I very often sleep 12h. Of course, herbal is decorative in Sleepwalking, as you guessed it.

Maybe also @jeffpeng could help you, since he's playing SW8 (your settings) and he's good with the numbers :)

screen_5dce1a07-7ac9-4780-9a09-c895e3f2ab0c.thumb.png.fcd44cfae1ba1e14b1eb59b55b97ac21.pngscreen_1342842a-4287-470b-b7ae-73da63136a33.thumb.png.02470d1fa78b906a1da568ae3b10f8cb.pngscreen_8976d56f-a50c-470d-8f4a-38082f3e904b.thumb.png.dd76f4e5477dc9acf52292dd41590f3d.png

Also, I was under the impression that if healing is off on sleeping, but walking around healing is on,  You would still heal while asleep, just you only heal 1% an hour. It doesn't stack when you have sleep while healing on. Again, have not had time to test it.

I would actually love that is worked like that, for realistic purposes, but it's not, as @Pillock explained. "Sleeping" and "being awake" are two different time-space regarding health.

I'm just trying to figure out which is less healing overall.

Sleepwalking level 2 might be roughly equivalent to "reverse sleepwalk" with very high Thrist (max 7/8h consecutive sleep, +herbal possibility), anything above SW3 (included) will be less healing. The next step is of course Deadman...

Thanks for the free water :D

Archived