A coffee trick I learned from TLD just saved my life...

So it is currently 6 AM in the morning and I have been up for over 24 hours straight. I pulled an all-nighter to create a presentation for a group project that is due today afternoon - had no choice really, my team decided to finish their parts at the last possible second. I am slowly losing my sanity and decided that I am in need of a cup of coffee. But my hardware for boiling water got lost somewhere and I don't have the brain capacity to look for it.

Welp, no coffee, I thought... when I saw a page these forums and it inspired me to use my TLD ingenuity, and just  boil the water the old-fashioned way - in a pot on the stove. Now I am enjoying a lovely warm caffeine drink. 

Well, it is time to finish this project...

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Well, it is time to finish this project...

Good luck with the project

I always make coffee like this. I do not see the point of using auxiliary means and I can not stand instant coffee.

P.S. I hope you understand what I mean.

3 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

Good luck with the project

I always make coffee like this. I do not see the point of using auxiliary means and I can not stand instant coffee.

P.S. I hope you understand what I mean.

I do. And thank you! I prefer a latte, I don't drink a lot of coffee usually, but this time it was kinda an emergency. Was not very good because I put in way too little coffee - but it did the job. Finished the project and even had a nice 4 hour nap, which helps a ton - now I gotta get ready to present it :) 

To make bad Turkish coffee all you need is a pot to boil in, dump the coffee in the water, wait, let the grounds settle before you sip.  If you don't really like the grounds, you can always use men's underwear (tighty-whities) as a filter.  Not the best tasting coffee, but if you're already using underwear to make it, you probably don't have a better option.

Coldbrew. A pitcher or container of any kind. Water. Ground coffee beans. Mix both in said container. Let sit in the fridge or out in the cold. For a long time, lol! 12 hours or so makes good strong coffee. You can leave it sit longer, or shorter. But no electricity needed, you can add more water to the coffee if it is too strong, you can drink it cold, let it warm to room temp, or heat it up any way you choose. Works at room temp too, you just get more bitter coffee from it. Filter the ground coffee out before drinking, if you don't enjoy heavily textured coffee. I recommend a paper or cheesecloth filter over underwear though.  ;) Clean cotton t-shirt material works well also.

Just don't let the brewing coffee sit out in the snow long enough to freeze solid in the container. Coffee is hard to pour or drink while frozen solid.  ;)

I mean if you're just doing it strictly for the caffeine, you could just quickly mix coffee grounds and enough water to suspend them, then down it like a shot of liquor.  Two of those will perk you right up.  That's a trick from my ramen-eating college years.

45 minutes ago, deathbydanish said:

In college I relied a lot on energy drinks, but I'm a little older and wiser, all you get from energy drinks now is type 2 diabetes due to the high sugar content.

Not to be picky, but having diabetes, Type 1, and spending 4 1/2 decades seeing/hearing people say that you can get diabetes, any type, from eating or drinking sugary stuff... it is not true, that is not how it works. That is a horrible bit of misinformation that has caused many people who eat healthy, but still have diabetes to not seek medical care until they are hospitalized with DKA or other diabetes complications, and get their diagnosis the hard way. Sorry. I have seen too may people have long-term medical problems or die because they believed that they could not possibly have diabetes, because they ate no "sugary" foods and drank only diet, no sugar added drinks or juices. That is a very dangerous lie you posted, even if you did not know it was one.

15 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Not to be picky, but having diabetes, Type 1, and spending 4 1/2 decades seeing/hearing people say that you can get diabetes, any type, from eating or drinking sugary stuff... it is not true, that is not how it works. That is a horrible bit of misinformation that has caused many people who eat healthy, but still have diabetes to not seek medical care until they are hospitalized with DKA or other diabetes complications, and get their diagnosis the hard way. Sorry. I have seen too may people have long-term medical problems or die because they believed that they could not possibly have diabetes, because they ate no "sugary" foods and drank only diet, no sugar added drinks or juices. That is a very dangerous lie you posted, even if you did not know it was one.

So I didn't post that totally in jest, its actually happened to me, I just recently had a blood test done and my doctor told me my A1C level is at the point for type 2 diabetes. I did see it coming of course and even in college I felt what happens when my blood sugar levels get too high, I almost passed out at work when I got the inevitable crash after chugging some Monster or Amp. Most of family has type 2 diabetes so I basically expected to get it as well, I think the only thing that really stopped it from getting really bad in my days of energy drinks and just overall bad diet was because I did strength training. Today my job is sedentary, so there isn't as much physical movement and I've been slacking on the strength training so it's gone from pre-diabetes to full blown type 2.

Understanding the multi-national nature of this board, I've tried to word my posts more carefully, and if I am wrong on my assumption please tell me, but I do not appreciate the language insinuating that I am lying, especially since I am actually dealing with the negative consequences of type 2 diabetes right now.

1 hour ago, deathbydanish said:

So I didn't post that totally in jest, its actually happened to me, I just recently had a blood test done and my doctor told me my A1C level is at the point for type 2 diabetes. I did see it coming of course and even in college I felt what happens when my blood sugar levels get too high, I almost passed out at work when I got the inevitable crash after chugging some Monster or Amp. Most of family has type 2 diabetes so I basically expected to get it as well, I think the only thing that really stopped it from getting really bad in my days of energy drinks and just overall bad diet was because I did strength training. Today my job is sedentary, so there isn't as much physical movement and I've been slacking on the strength training so it's gone from pre-diabetes to full blown type 2.

Understanding the multi-national nature of this board, I've tried to word my posts more carefully, and if I am wrong on my assumption please tell me, but I do not appreciate the language insinuating that I am lying, especially since I am actually dealing with the negative consequences of type 2 diabetes right now.

I never said that you are lying, I said that the statement that :

3 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

... all you get from energy drinks now is type 2 diabetes due to the high sugar content.

...is a lie. Told by many, for decades. Not due to malicious intent, but due to not understanding what the disorder is, and how it works.

2 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

That is a very dangerous lie you posted, even if you did not know it was one.

Is what I said. Sorry if my meaning and intent was lost in translation.

You cannot catch it from anyone, you do not get it from eating sugary foods or drinking sugary drinks. Without other risks that predispose you to Type 2 diabetes, eating sugar or drinking sweet drinks does not make you diabetic. Or the majority of American teenagers would all have Type 2 diabetes. If you have genetic predisposition, insulin-resistance, your body is not producing enough insulin on its own,or are grossly obese and living an unhealthy lifestyle like eating nothing but sweets and high fat foods, among other risk factors, you are more likely to Type 2. But it is not guaranteed that you will.

You may well be dealing with symptoms of Type 2 diabetes. But drinking sugary energy drinks is not what caused the disorder. It may have played a part in development of your symptoms, or escalation of them, but they are not the root cause.  have you seen an endocrinologist for diagnosis and a treatment plan? Ask them. 

Lots of research out thee to read up on, I would suggest looking to The American Diabetes Association, The World Health Organization, The NIH, or endocrineweb.com : https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes-causes . Educate yourself, furthering the misinformation that is still far too common these days does not help any of us.

25 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I never said that you are lying, I said that the statement that :

...is a lie. Told by many, for decades. Not due to malicious intent, but due to not understanding what the disorder is, and how it works.

Is what I said. Sorry if my meaning and intent was lost in translation.

You cannot catch it from anyone, you do not get it from eating sugary foods or drinking sugary drinks. Without other risks that predispose you to Type 2 diabetes, eating sugar or drinking sweet drinks does not make you diabetic. Or the majority of American teenagers would all have Type 2 diabetes. If you have genetic predisposition, insulin-resistance, your body is not producing enough insulin on its own,or are grossly obese and living an unhealthy lifestyle like eating nothing but sweets and high fat foods, among other risk factors, you are more likely to Type 2. But it is not guaranteed that you will.

You may well be dealing with symptoms of Type 2 diabetes. But drinking sugary energy drinks is not what caused the disorder. It may have played a part in development of your symptoms, or escalation of them, but they are not the root cause.  have you seen an endocrinologist for diagnosis and a treatment plan? Ask them. 

Lots of research out thee to read up on, I would suggest looking to The American Diabetes Association, The World Health Organization, The NIH, or endocrineweb.com : https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/type-2-diabetes/type-2-diabetes-causes . Educate yourself, furthering the misinformation that is still far too common these days does not help any of us.

Again while I presume your intent to be good, your resulting post was can be seen offensive as well as the tone. The "talking down" approach to someone is not conducive to a productive conversation. It gave me the initial impression that it does not seem as if you are open minded to discussing as much as your intent to "shut" me down and to show others that you were right and I was wrong. I would ask that you try to observe your post from my perspective and see how you feel, I do not think anyone likes to be told that they don't know anything about a condition they have lived with for a significant period of time.

4 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

In college I relied a lot on energy drinks, but I'm a little older and wiser, all you get from energy drinks now is type 2 diabetes due to the high sugar content.

Yeah if u drink it every day you are asking for a disaster.

Just now, deathbydanish said:

So yeah at one point I would drink three of these throughout the day, and for the most part it was just about everyday for almost a year straight. I can only imagine the damage that much caffeine did to my heart.

hmm maybe the equivalent to 2 frostbites?

1 minute ago, exeexe said:

hmm maybe the equivalent to 2 frostbites?

lol if there was a way to simulate an inability to sleep in the game, I would say I had a lot of sleep problems that year. I lost a lot of weight though, but not by good diet or exercise, I would literally just drink that, often skip a meal and stay up late. I went from 260lbs to 210lbs that year, but at 210lbs I felt incredibly weak all the time and it felt like I could get hurt fairly easily.

I have a small stove top espresso maker. It's good for 6 shots or one travel mug which is what i usually do. It could probably be used over a campfire, though it has a plastic handle so i'd have to be careful.

For awhile i didn't have a coffee pot and only the flat top basket from my last one. I would just sit the basket over my cup and just make pour over coffee, it worked but i do prefer using an actual pot.

Archived