My opinion on The Long Dark

Smellyfries

I absolutely love The Long Dark, and the crew behind the greatness, Hinterland. 

I Love the environment of The Long Dark; which is the reason why i gave it the environment reward. The landscape is absolutely beautiful, and the fact that you can walk across the land for hundreds of hours, discovering new locations, landmarks, and points of interest. The Overall survival aspect of the game is one of the best out there; adding a sense of realism, and a little bit of fiction, to keep balance. 

I immediately loved the amount of communication that Hinterland gave to its viewers and fan base; with the creation of Milton Mailbox, and the general forum page in general; which is why i also gave Hinterland the best game creator reward. 

There is very little i don't love about the game, for even in its dull moments past day 100 or so, it is still an beautiful experience, and i would like to thank Hinterland for it. I hope ou guys have a happy rest of your Thanksgiving, and i plan on hanging out around the Forums some more. Till next time

-Smellyfries

I have played the game since 7th of October, 2014. (this was back when Mystery Lake was the only region, rifle had at most 15 bullets, and survival past Day 50 was impossible due to the fact you ran out of cloth to repair your clothes with).

I have LOVED the game since day 1, and even though I took some breaks from it here and there, it has always remained my top most favorite game of all time. It is for its immersion, art style, the environment like you said, and just the feeling of being free and on my own, when in reality I am trapped here in the center of society, Central Europe, where the nearest "wild forest" is some thousand kilometers away, three, four countries to the northeast. Since the young age I had a dream of living with nature, which is why I spent my childhood days building shelters and bunkers in the forest. TLD has allowed me to satisfy my desire for wilderness pretty well, for a mere simulation.

I have always had the utmost respect for Hinterland because of how much they pay attention to their community. I was part of a different game community in the past, where I even contributed to the Kickstarter... and they let me down, because for 3 years they were unable to fulfill their Kickstarter goals, and when they finally made some of them, they did it all on their own, with no regards to what the community said. Their game gradually shifted into becoming a money-grab, where the devs who owned it cared only for playing with famous YouTubers and not for cooperating with their community. Hinterland always paid close attention to their community, in fact, in time they kept paying attention more and more.

I fully agree with everything you said, I understand how you feel entirely. I feel the same, and I am sure there are others in here who do, too.

Archived