Add knitting ?

DarKube

Yea, this is an idea people sometimes come with - but you are right, it would make the game more simple, in a way.  Especially on interloper, it would allow people to create their own clothes when they cant find that type anywhere. Which would reduce the challenge. 

I dont think the idea of "knitting" is bad per say, I am still hoping that the Hinterland will eventually bring in some sort of animal like bighorn sheep, which has a fur that is basically a wool - could be used for crafting of some of the "undergarments" - like crafted underwear, socks, etc - because that wool could be converted into a line which could be used for knitting. :)

But again, that is years from possibly being added into the game, I fear. I doubt they will be adding the animal similar to bighorn sheep into the game any time soon. Which is a shame - if this sheep could only be found at TWM or at high places in Hushed river valley, it would add to the immersion of the game, and would force the player to travel to these specific locations simply because of these animals.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Whatever was intended to be accomplished by "knitting" can be accomplished with "crafting".   It is just a matter of the devs choosing to add the crafting recipes to do so.  

There are boots, pants, jackets, mittens and hats that can be crafted.  Improvised handwraps and headcoverings were added because those can be very hard to come by in certain modes and the consequences (frostbite) have own impacts on players (largely due to the RNG).  So there was a recognized problem and it was solved.  Adding more improvised clothing items would not really add to the game, at the present, and that is basically what has to happen (in the devs' opinion) for implementation would involve a fair amount of work by the Hinterland crew to bring it about.  

So there is nothing wrong with the idea but the implementation effort and expected results would make it not worthwhile. It might also change game dynamics and that is an assessment that depend on the individual. 

• Like 1

Personally, I like the balance Hinterland has achieved already.
I'm not in favor of this idea (at least not in the form it's been proposed by this thread).  I think the slim timescales make the clothing way too cheap and easy.  I don't like the idea of being able to "knit" an entire outfit in just 10 hours time (combined).

I prefer the crafted clothing that we have access to already, I also appreciate the time, resources, end effort that must be invested in making them.

:coffee::fire:
I suppose it's worth mentioning:  I also don't really care for the improvised head and hand coverings for much the same reason (I think they're a little too cheap and easy); so I chose not to use those crafting recipes.

I understand why they are there... and I think it's a good option when we just can not find what we need.  I still choose not to use them though, mainly because I think it's fairly simple to just collect 7 rabbit pelts and 3 gut.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac

Honestly I take back my suggestion cause, right now, with the handmade gloves and hat, I really think this is well balanced. And it was already two years ago since I posted this idea, I was just starting playing TLD, now I think it's not that good of an idea.

• Like 1