Add flack jacket ?

DarKube

I would like Hinterland add a flack jacket :

warm bonus : 1C°

windproof : 0,5C°

waterproof : 20%

protection : 35% !!!

weight : 1,5kg

WE shall find it in the military camp ( see there ). It's the most protecting cloth in the game ! It shall repair with 2 clothes and that shall set two hours.

More like 4 kg. An actual bulletproof vest of sorts can easily weight over 10 kg IRL. 

Also, like I mentioned before, it wouldnt really help that much against wildlife - with maybe exception of bear mauling. The wolves, if attacking, would attack the player´s legs, arms, head. Not the torso. If the wolf was actually trying to kill the player, not just attacking for defensive purposes, it would be trying to strike at the neck, groin, back - the places where human being is most vulnerable. 

During bear mauling, the vest that protects from bullet wounds could actually protect the player somewhat against the torso mauling... but of course, once again, the bear would by trying to reach the soft parts of the person - the torso attacks would be mostly non-intentional. And, realistically speaking, the weight and pressure of the vest could actually cause more serious internal bleeding during such an attack. Meaning that wearing the west could actually hurt you even more seriously... as you are being tossed around by the power of the bear.

The only ACTUAL real possible protection against animal attacks this would have in reality is against the Broken ribs affliction during moose attack. This is where the vest could protect you from wounds like impalement by the antlers of the moose. But, once again, the actual "trampling" part - if you were wearing the vest, you would likely cause yourself a much more serious internal bleeding. And if this vest could protect from the biggest danger of a moose hunt, it would beat the purpose of that scary debuff of broken ribs affliction in the first place.

And finally - I dont think it would be good if this was an item you could ONLY find at an army location. I would make it a very rare clothing item, perhaps with the best chance of spawn at that base, but not a unique item to that location. I can also imagine it being an item you would find "lying" in there, at like a bed or something.

Those are just my opinions :) dont feel discouraged by my critique.  I just cant see it being a very "important" addition to the game - while I wouldnt mind it in the game, I dont think I would ever really use it, and so would most players. I would be more happy if Hinterland spent their time adding items into the game that most people would use or appreciate - like the rabbit hat.

Also, every clothing item is repairable. Because clothing items lose durability over-time. Non repairable item can be an item that can be crafted all over again, I guess. But even the ski boots can be repaired with cured leather - not very realistic, but they can be. So I am guessing that would be the case with the vest - perhaps scrap metal and cured leather.

If thinking in terms of what is modern day body armor, it might mean two different styles of armor.  One would be the kevlar style harness that would normally "stop" a bullet but the blunt trauma effects could be considerable.  The other would be the ballistic plate that goes inside the kevlar style harness which stops bullets and mitigates blunt trauma effects.  Can probably substitute an ersatz plate fashioned from scrap metal (it is not as if a moose or bear is going to rifle to shoot the player) and use cloth for harness repair, but the downside would be heavy as heck and limited utility.

Seems like a lot of development work to get something like that in the game for probably less than decent return on investment.

Archived