A couple of additions

milidh

Just a few things I would like from my short time playing

1: Stats for custom difficulty games.

2: Ability to Jump/climb over things such as logs or fences

3: More primitive basic tools you can craft (stone/flint). Easier to make, less effective and break easier. Possibly sticks, that can be pointed more for defense so can beat /poke wolfs away

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

1. What do you mean by stats? There should be a way to share your stats with others already. For starters, when you create a custom game, you can generate a code, which if others input in their game, it will create a copy of your custom difficulty settings. This is how you can create challenges for other TLD players and share them with others more easily. 
Other than that, stats dont really make sense - the custom gamemodes are almost nearly impossible to properly compare. How difficult would you think is a custom mode which is exactly like Voyageur, but has the Interloper level of weather and supplies? It aint easy to compare. 
Either way, when you die, you should see your stats in the end screen - you can share them then. Along with sharing that code, it should give others an idea of how difficult the game was and how impressive your stats are. 

But maybe I misunderstood what you mean by stats :)

2. I think the Hinterland already talked about this - that this would be nearly impossible to implement because of the way TLD is coded. There would be way too many issues with clipping - that was the problem I think they mentioned. But dont quote me on that :D Personally, I dont mind it. In a way it would make things too unpredictable and potentionally unbalanced. If only the player could jump and vault, it would mean the player can get to places where predators wont reach him, more easily... that means invincibility while hunting them predators. If both the animals could jump... not only would hunting become extremely hard, the animals could also reach strange places, and that would make their carcasses sometimes innaccesible - which is on occasion the problem already. 

Other than that, I dont mind jumping :D if it aint too high.

3. Now this is something a LOT of people would like. I must say that I am in the camp that wouldnt want Bone/flint tools. For a lot of reasons... first of all, flint knapping aint easy at all, second the fact that it would make tools easily renewable, and that would make the other tools less important. Hinterland also mentioned in the past they dont wish to add flint tools too much because it would make forging sort of obsolete, and remove that challenge of having to go up to the forge, get it working, and then crafting the tools.

While I sympathetize with ya on the idea of flint tools, and the realism they would bring - I understand that from the balance point of the game they could be bad.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16.11.2018 at 11:43 PM, Mroz4k said:

1. What do you mean by stats? [...]

But maybe I misunderstood what you mean by stats :)

Possibly personal character stats, such as TES Oblivion, for more personalization beyond the skills? It would have to remain within what is reasonably human, such as 5% increments per skill point, up to 5 per attribute, such as intelligence (you learn skills faster), strength (2kg extra carry per point, additional melee damage to throw off wolves) etc. with a total of, lets say 10-15 points over 6-7 attributes (see Fallout SPECIAL). would need a lot of coding and balancing though, so I don't see this happening anywhere in the future.

2.  [...]If only the player could jump and vault, it would mean the player can get to places where predators wont reach him, more easily... that means invincibility while hunting them predators. If both the animals could jump... not only would hunting become extremely hard, the animals could also reach strange places, and that would make their carcasses sometimes innaccesible - which is on occasion the problem already. 

Other than that, I dont mind jumping :D if it aint too high.

True, bears would probably have more difficulties but I have seen both dogs and wolves jump at least 6feet up. even if they do not make it over the fence, if they are already after you, chances are they will reach you before you make it to the other side. and even without that, there are already a bunch of places you can use as unreachable hunting platforms, usually those where you have to drop a bit in a rock for example, the pathfinding software has trouble with those so they usually start running. However, even without jumping it would be nice to have something to overcome minor obstacles instead or walking around every log in the forest because you can't just step/climb over it.

3. Now this is something a LOT of people would like. I must say that I am in the camp that wouldnt want Bone/flint tools. For a lot of reasons... first of all, flint knapping aint easy at all, second the fact that it would make tools easily renewable, and that would make the other tools less important. Hinterland also mentioned in the past they dont wish to add flint tools too much because it would make forging sort of obsolete, and remove that challenge of having to go up to the forge, get it working, and then crafting the tools.

While I sympathetize with ya on the idea of flint tools, and the realism they would bring - I understand that from the balance point of the game they could be bad.

I think the idea of forging was a mistake in the first place; you are technically a pilot, and from friends who to actually work with metal themselves I know that forging is way too complicated for an average person to craft anything anytime soon. if the fire is too hot, the metal becomes weak, if it's too cold, it becomes brittle. And that's still disregarding all the injuries a 'novice' would likely suffer out of sheer stupidity. IMO forging should only even be available after reading at least two books about it any basis of theoretical knowledge to start with.
Flint tools would be cheap to craft, but they don't always succeed; depending on your skill level, you could just have wasted an hour making a knife just for it to split in half. fails upon creation the same way repairs can fail, but you get no bonus for tools. Also, because the edge doesn't last long, they wear down very fast. since they can't be sharpened the way we do it with metal knives, you'd have to knap a new edge with greater chances of the item breaking. All in all, it would be a very time-consuming task with only some chance of success, but this way it would be quite balanced - considering the effort, some people might even decide that it's better to just work with your hands than making flint blades, but each their own?

21 minutes ago, Kendov said:

I think the idea of forging was a mistake in the first place; you are technically a pilot, and from friends who to actually work with metal themselves I know that forging is way too complicated for an average person to craft anything anytime soon. if the fire is too hot, the metal becomes weak, if it's too cold, it becomes brittle. And that's still disregarding all the injuries a 'novice' would likely suffer out of sheer stupidity. IMO forging should only even be available after reading at least two books about it any basis of theoretical knowledge to start with.
Flint tools would be cheap to craft, but they don't always succeed; depending on your skill level, you could just have wasted an hour making a knife just for it to split in half. fails upon creation the same way repairs can fail, but you get no bonus for tools. Also, because the edge doesn't last long, they wear down very fast. since they can't be sharpened the way we do it with metal knives, you'd have to knap a new edge with greater chances of the item breaking. All in all, it would be a very time-consuming task with only some chance of success, but this way it would be quite balanced - considering the effort, some people might even decide that it's better to just work with your hands than making flint blades, but each their own?

I think there is a suspension of disbelief that has to come with a game like this, I remember the game before forging, people were probably asking what will I do when my last knife or hatchet finally breaks? I think it is important though for assumptions to be called out, just because we post on a message board that flint napping would "break" the game, would that actually happen? Would the very human playerbase follow suit with a formulaic response or will the individual variances in all of us cause each one of us to experience the game differently?

From my time playing 2: is my biggest annoyance. small obstacles that you need to walk all the way around.

3: flint tools and pointed sticks seem a more realistic solution than trailing to a forge to smelt and craft tools.

overall love this game and looking forward to the new update.

point 1: was just so I could compare how well I do in custom games compared to set standard difficulties. I like stats, sad but oh well we are all different. 

1 - Never really tracked stats, so I'm indifferent.

2 - Would love to be able to climb/jump over obviously low and avoidable obstacles. Having to wander all over the map just to get from one side of a fence to the other is pretty annoying.

3 - I have never used a forge. Never bothered to gather enough fuel to get it fired up to a point to be used. Then again I've never lasted long enough to wear out my last knife or axe either, so there is that. I think flint knapping would be a more realistic resolution to running out of man made tools as well. It is a bit of a stretch to think that anyone could just walk up to a forge and pull a functional knife or axe from it.

Archived