Thatch, the Timberwolf Sasquatch

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 49 - Three More Days

It's midnight. Feeling adventurous I make a sprint to the rabbit run. The snare must have caught a rabbit at some point, but it had decayed away already. I place it again together with the second snare I made, and after that there's nothing else to do but head back to the cave. I light a torch and make it to the other end. Maybe .... maybe I can score a rabbit there at the entrance.

Before I get out there I light a fire. I need to warm up at least a bit. I warm up my last full reishi tea, and even throw a coal into the fire. I will keep it on for a bit, so I can come back and warm up fast. It dawns on me that here would have probably been the better place for the snares. Well. Maybe I'll live to relocate them. I locate my victim rather quick.

screen_0a23409e-e035-4aad-aeda-c6faf800752c.thumb.png.295d647a24c65897ec4aba8b9c4f2348.png

I strike the poor animal down and run back in to harvest and cook him. A second tour outside doesn't go so well. I can hear another rabbit, but I cannot see him in the dark. Even if I had a torch .... I wouldn't be able to get it. I turn back in, pick up my price and head back through the cave. A lonely lump of coal wants to keep me company and I grant its wish. Then ... it's waiting, again.

At noon I make my way to the shelter again. It's "warm" and I can punch in 10 hours of sleep quite safely. When I wake up it's around 8 to 9 pm. I wasn't tired enough for the full 10 hours. I decide to use the relative warmth and run to the snares.  It's dark, it's thick fog.

screen_6e4764b6-52d8-4e75-ac97-77459e71c820.thumb.png.fbaa6b181b386f89c3dc7e5ac3d3db1c.png

I hope I don't get lost. I find the snares, but they didn't catch anything yet. I pick them up and make my way back. The fog lifts, and I have a relatively good view of where I am supposed to go. I return and sleep for another hour, but then I have to go. I pick up most of my water and my firewood, and basically abandon my home for purposes other than sleeping. 

I make it through the cave utilizing night vision and... "breath vision". I know it so well by now ... I should be able to navigate blind. Just that ledge in the dome is dangerous. But I manage that one as well. Outside I place my traps and head in again. Maybe tomorrow I'll have something to feast on.

screen_ac45d674-b67d-4f3b-baf7-7df9ce55300a.thumb.png.c84b086386034d117d3dc15a570d1fb9.png

I make it back through the cave .... and wait. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 50 - No Sleep

It's a cold day. One of those on which I won't be able to sleep much. It's -44°C AT at 6 am. That's 8 °C from my "manageable" -36°C. So... yeah, 8 hours of waiting, give or take. Just when I want to get going at 1 pm .... a blizzard is raging. Sleep deprivation already set in and I don't have a lot of time left to wait. By 4 pm I basically already know that I will survive the day only if I get sleep at night. No matter the firewood it'll cost me. An hour later I get going .... things are dangerous. 

screen_d5be482e-7e85-4377-b337-51a02b6e6c81.thumb.png.717fa0fde913716db841e16c58097e4e.png

28% and falling, fatally exhausted, heavily over-encumbered. I make it to the shelter, but I can only sleep 5 hours safely. Not enough. When I get up I take the two more hours I can sleep until midnight.

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 51 - The Surge

When I wake up at midnight I'm confronted with a choice. Keep this going and die next night, or make a stand and get the recovery I need. Nobrainer, eh. I put a fire on right in front of the snow shelter. All I have, 12 hours. Then it's time for my last trump card. Yes, I still have such a thing.

screen_82c91934-a5cc-4bfe-b46e-c8dc69393cf6.thumb.png.4fcd3f167bbc73894ab7fdd6441a9a39.png

I smoke my emergency cigar, let it wear off and sleep ten very much deserved hours. I even sleep in and put in two more hours. Back to 88% I'm broke in terms of firewood, food is running low, water is growing scarce, but I just might live to fight another day. I take to the cave to see what we can do on the other side. I just might have an idea. I will have to go almost 24 hours from here, so wasting my rest is something I want to avoid - so it's slow going.

I make it to the other side and take a look at my snares. Two fresh rabbits. Amazing. But.... I'm not quite done with this. I will need firewood. I bring the rabbits into the cave and get looking. I make rather good progress, but then turn back into the cave to warm up waiting. And just look what happened meanwhile:

screen_d650e7cc-2d57-4cc6-a43c-041d549f270a.thumb.png.886e4c277ce51b137aaac8e1b6ac5380.png

And Thatch 4 is still alive and kicking!

(Day 51 will continue! :D)

Fantastic! Not only you made it to 50 days, you crafted all clothes you can possibly craft in TWM-only, and under the worst conditions imaginable. It's also one of the few runs I've seen that have a true "endgame".

Sasquatch is the new legend of the mountain. A living legend at the moment!

Guest jeffpeng
45 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Fantastic! Not only you made it to 50 days, you crafted all clothes you can possibly craft in TWM-only, and under the worst conditions imaginable. It's also one of the few runs I've seen that have a true "endgame".

Sasquatch is the new legend of the mountain. A living legend at the moment!

Thank you. Sasquatch knows he's on borrowed time now - but he just might have a few days worth of fumes left in the tank. ^_^

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, TheEldritchGod said:

Okay. I must ask. What is Breath Vision?

You exhale. And the breath is very visible since it's so cold. And in the dark, counter-intuitively, that sometimes makes things sometimes more visible. At least in this game (no, it doesn't work in real life, really not), and at least for me.

Next time I'm stumbling in a dark room trying to find a light switch I'll try this. It may prevent the little toe sprain affliction I get everytime. :D

You just bent the game into submission, I've got nothing more to say. *<InsertClapEmojiHere>

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 51 - (continuation)

I've got 24 sticks to my name. Not very encouraging, is it? But making more would probably require me to run around Hide'N'Seek hill. Now usually I would say that such behavior is probably rather inadvisable at my current position. But most things I've done in the recent past would have deserved that label. I will make a "quick" run around the Hill. But with a twist. My dead rabbit friend here, the one that has just guts and pelt left, will play a crucial role in this endeavor - or so I hope.

screen_0819da3a-72d4-4c59-bba3-10aba9b50941.thumb.png.6037c377cb12e00c5dffbd033a061b62.png

Realizing what I'm up to isn't that hard. Combine these 3 clues: bait, flare gun, lonely wolf. It doesn't require you to have supernatural powers to predict the eventual outcome. What you get it this:

screen_b09cb4c2-80e8-46ff-92c0-3a6763edb813.thumb.png.3f9288c3c3324fa7b97215c05f9f1606.png

I make my tour around the hill while the flared wolf runs his victory lap around it. 9 more sticks aren't overwhelming, but I get 2 cattails I wasn't able to get before. I will deal with the wolf later. Right now he's still to alive and the weather still too windy. But I will not waste this resource if I can help it. Back in the cave I tear up my two rabbits, not just for the meat, but also to pass time productively.

While I do I think about my future - or the lack thereof. I could lay down and die and it would still be a success. I could dream up an ending, nice and comforting, where I take into the sunset and can convince myself I lived happily ever after.

Thatcher's story isn't that kind of story. Sasquatch doesn't budge. It's a story of grit and resiliency, a story of bravery and bravado, a story of overcoming the impossible and outrunning the inevitable - but also of eventually succumbing to it.

But... not... YET.

The one thing I have going for me: It's not getting colder any more. I've reached the worst it will get. And don't get me wrong: it's bad. It's really bad. Running around in +11/+7 gear at day 50 is very much not fun. But it was doable until now. Kinda. Sorta. 

I get back out planning to locate the wolf, but then I find him..... still... alive. How in the hell did he survive a flare gun stuck in his chest? I dodge back in. I had kinda .... banked on having a nice wolf for dinner. The next few days. I wait some time and tearing up old torches I contemplate what to do. Spend another flare? Save it? Save it.... for what? Hunting deer at deer clearing is done. 

When I'm done tearing up torches I have 49 sticks. That's enough firewood to overcome a night outside quite handily. That wolf will die tonight. 

screen_17f2a57c-1f1b-408f-8c3e-01990fd81e47.thumb.png.c301c055481148ae056055fb4ddd592c.png

Again I hit him, again the flare sticks. I won't go in this time. I will wait until he dies. I find a lot of coal scattered across the river - which I gladly take. When I find the wolf, limping, he's on top of his hill a last time. 

screen_6c68fca1-9a05-4f1b-bd63-e3fc4b335e22.thumb.png.4bbac29d18df85612ff050724c53d761.png

Midnight beckons as I light up my fire. I will feast tonight.

33 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

but then I find him..... still... alive

To me that's one of the 3 big things I would like to be fixed, wildlife complete reset when you go indoor (=changing map) leads to many gameplay problems.

Anyway, I've been wondering for quite a time how long could we survive in a Snowball run with a Shelter near the upper engine cave. It sounded like the best place to me, accessing two fuel spots, rabbits, a warm indoor. Now I don't have to wonder anymore! The answer is until late game weather, at least. Hats down!

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 52 - Lottie And Lisa

4 kilograms of wolf are my reward. I cook the wolf and rabbit meat I brought. It will get me by a few more days. I eat one wolf steak right where I stand - down to 42% already I need to give myself a rest in terms of starving. No use in having ample food supplies when I'm dead. I pull torches and head back for the cave.... when I find this:

screen_e0fa1c48-5df1-46b3-bd49-a2dd1938e9b7.thumb.png.d1b608566b60102850a5eb6d7aa31b2f.png

There... were... TWO WOLVES! Fluffy almighty. The slope is so steep I cannot make a fire, and lacking harvesting 5 I cannot just take some meat ... but.... wow. Just wow. The mountain really throws all it's got at me right now. I make it back to the cave, but that alone costs me 5% condition again. Crawling through the darkness with my torch I make it to the other side .... and wait.

At 8 am it's -46°C AT outside. SERIOUSLY?  I look at my firewood reserves. 38 sticks, 1 coal. I can't wait any longer. I can't wait ten hours... because in ten hours the world is getting colder again. I go. I have to go. -11 °C in my shelter means I will need at least 8 hours of fire. I have .... five. I sleep one singular hour so I can drop my coal into the fire.

I calculate. 5:20 fire left. It should now be -10°C, -7°C in the bedroll. In 5 hours we reach 4 pm, which is the warmest part of the day. So when it's just -2°C then I have at least 2 more hours left. So 7 hours. I can do that. I punch them in.

I dodge a blizzard while sleeping. When I wake up ... it's warmer than anticipated. 1°C in my bedroll. Two more hours of sleep.... ah let's make it three. I even can add a forth playing the margins close to the edge. I tear up two torches, repair the shelter and run to the cave at 11 pm. When I reach it I'm at 55%, out of firewood, out of options yet again - but still alive.

Guest jeffpeng
18 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

To me that's one of the 3 big things I would like to be fixed, wildlife complete reset when you go indoor (=changing map) leads to many gameplay problems.

Anyway, I've been wondering for quite a time how long could we survive in a Snowball run with a Shelter near the upper engine cave. It sounded like the best place to me, accessing two fuel spots, rabbits, a warm indoor. Now I don't have to wonder anymore! The answer is until late game weather, at least. Hats down!

Actually, like Thatcher discovered ... there were 2 wolves. There really never were two wolves. Also possible the other wolf was an instant respawn? I don't know. In any case.... one shell left :(

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 53 - Calm

My options for firewood are .... really limited. Recycling more torches is the obvious choice. That yields 12 sticks, with ten more torches left. But other than that ..... not much I can do. Deer Clearing .... would be an amazing area to search - but how? The only way I could do it is right after waking up. Maybe I will do that after I get my sleep today .... IF I get me sleep today. The other option .... would be the Engine Gorge. One shell left. It would be possible. Everything else feels too far away without anything to keep me warm. And of those I have just two reishi left. I could try the area around Eric's Falls. But it would cost me a lot of rest ... rest I might desperately need later. I'm not well enough to commit to a heavier duty expedition, like making it to the hut and back. Lots of firewood on that route, but without near perfect condition ... it's a death sentence. Especially at night. And at day... I gotta sleep.

Choices, choices! And none of them good ones. Let's check for rabbits. One rabbit, one broken snare. I dodge back into the cave and harvest the broken snare. If I just could make snares in the field! In any case it's another half hour of firewood. The rabbit .... just too frozen for my bare hands. I make it back through the cave .... and wait. 

At 6 pm it's -44°C AT. That's actually a good day - almost. That's sleep in 7 hours, and probably even enough for 9 hours straight. I decide to make it a very calm day and postpone my searches for firewood until tomorrow. Very calm ... means very boring. With -38°C just before noon I get going. I should reach the shelter just in time - and I do. 9 hours of relatively safe sleep entail.

screen_77454b1b-3886-4b83-9c0e-7a089ee44745.thumb.png.226f4a9e49365f8600022525072b7968.png

I wake up after 8 hours. And it's good I did. The evening was colder than I had hoped for it to be. 69% are probably as good as I'll get. I could probably afford taking out the wolf at the Engine Gorge and lose maybe even less than 20%. If I hit, that is. It would smash three birds with one stone: more food, new firewood, and new water cooking the wolf. It would also be my last flare. But what am I keeping it for if not for that? I get going.

I make a pit stop in the cave to warm up. I would love to light a fire to speed up the process .... but every stick is precious. I even make it through the cave and back to collect on a rabbit - but the snare is empty. When I am ready to go .... midnight is upon me once more.

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 54 - Musings Of A Flare Gun Shooting Man

There's a saying in war: Those who don't believe they will come back don't. Those who do just might. Do I believe? I must. It's again down to this one chance - one opportunity.

screen_f2878748-dec7-4da0-9dd8-3e51df53ff88.thumb.png.6e25f4185dccbd26d48900d55c3d9996.png

Visibility? What visibility? 

screen_4c2c647f-31b1-4ad2-9b1c-d38b60d192de.thumb.png.d98b70837cb53fa097104a11604d75df.png

Exactly. I don't see the wolf on this screenshot either. But on this one:

screen_19274953-fa22-45aa-867f-21b583fa6ffa.thumb.png.73eb2e26018e1329f10f28aad54c08c8.png

I leave the wolf burning where he dropped, light up myself and get going on my desperate search for firewood. In the end I can show 24 sticks and a burned out torch. Enough. Barely, but enough. 

screen_b5946667-09b8-4087-8936-b8ed5148c7ee.thumb.png.7c5f50eaa29189d27fba5c5b18a5b4f8.png

My wolf is a big one. 5.9 kilograms of high octane wolf meat. Yummy. When I'm done I manage to recover 13 torches from the fire before retreating to the cave. All my 35 sticks are lost however. So in essence: I'm right where I left off - except I've got new water and enough wolf steaks to make it to day 60. I forgot to cook the rabbit, but maybe recovering additional torches was more worth it in the end. At least I can harvest it now.

Testing the waters at 7 am reveals nothing good. -47°C AT. I tear up my torches to see what I've got. 24 sticks minus 2 for the shelter, 1 reclaimed wood. That's 3.5 hours. That's not enough. Heavy-hearted I tear up my hammer. That's just over 1.5 additional hours for my last line of defense. But let's be honest: falling prey to a wolf now would have the same outcome in any case. I leave the scrap metal behind, just as my flare gun. It's just dead weight now.

Testing again at just past noon the thermometer reads -38°C. The day got warmer than I thought. It might just be enough. I start running. 

screen_6890fedb-73db-44e5-8420-439f9f421e48.thumb.png.c66643ef9e2a2b16f0499732b3b874af.png

It just so happens to be enough. Another day ... saved. It's noon, so that's 4 hours of getting warmer, so I can take 4 hours of getting colder... plus 1. I hope. 9 hours it is. I wake up at the perfect moment, with still some warmth to spare. I make it back to the cave in utter and complete darkness. I'm at 67%. If I want to make a break for firewood tomorrow ... I need to be in good shape and cannot afford to starve through 12 hours of waiting. I've got 15 cattails left. I eat six of them. Then .... I wait.

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 55 - The Fen Fire

Staring into the dark I decide it's time I up the gamble. In the cave two 58% wolf steaks are rotting away. I've still got a risk for parasites .... but what do I have to lose, really? I gobble up and feel full and happy. 4% risk of parasites? Well, what's life without a bit of danger. One more goes. 9% - and I still feel like I've made a good roll. No food poisoning, and hours and hours of daytime recovery.

screen_b4dd0d62-2e1b-45ea-a93b-ea64735f9f31.thumb.png.a3ebf7f5525e619deb8baa6037409efd.png

At noon I get -38°C AT. That should be enough. I take off again and reach the cave before freezing 9 hours it is again. While I do .... my intestinal parasites risk passes without bothering me. When I wake up just past 9 pm I'm at 100%. If I am going to make it to Deer Clearing .... it is today. It is now. I drop all my stinkies and I take off into the darkness. 

screen_c8d59ce0-90a6-4476-a56f-496c070ca25c.thumb.png.5023910a92272542ab3c7dff25a6e0a6.png

My emergency flare goes as the only other light source I have is my last torch I still didn't want to give up. Heavy snow makes navigation nigh impossible.

screen_a1ff2da3-9824-477f-a29f-a2390e82653f.thumb.png.029b4d27e0aaed868de8a9f3f37e8887.png

A blizzard now ... and I'm dead. A bear.... I'm dead. I stumble around in the dark, find 25 sticks and even a lump of coal in the cave. Then my flare gives in. I contemplate. If I ever want to try the Secluded Shelf cave again ... it's now. It's a hail Mary. It's also the best play I've got left. My old friend, the hike, beckons. Should it all end where it began?

screen_94f0e82a-c248-4c32-821a-f1ee1f179344.thumb.png.9501aa36b053bcb8cb2b79b6b3dfdcc4.png

Then my wrist gives in halfway and I have no choice but to turn back. I goat back down to Three-Way-Cave in absolute darkness. I make a fire at the outside campsite with Survive The Outdoors, and I chuckle at the irony. I throw in my reclaimed wood and put on some water, willingly taking some freezing damage before I can throw in my lump of coal. I reach positive temperatures just shy of hypothermia. I'm down to 51%. I throw in my fir I got from my hammer to bring a little bit more of heat.

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 56 - Patience

I boil water until 7 am. Enough for three days. It's terribly cold, and I return to the cave for now. I use the flame I have to look for coal in the cave, but hope is minimal. Reaching the other side I warm up two hours in the dark. Then I go try to get some firewood at the engine ... for three sticks and an old torch is all I find. I pick up the rabbit that's wound up in the snare, replace it and return to the cave.

Having lost night vision I need to make a fire in the cave to get some torches. My last book, Wilderness Kitchen, goes up in flames. When I reach the shelter at 1 pm I'm cursing my lips off. It's 1°C in the shelter. I wasted at least 3 good hours of sleep. Whatever, no use in dwelling on mistakes already made. I eat my wolf steak and punch in 9 hours of sleep. 

screen_cb5cb0e1-0d26-4569-be5a-0d9c4ec35ada.thumb.png.91f57cfab19bd2a4dd04669edff12495.png

When I wake up a tenth hour is still possible, so I take it. Shortly before midnight ... I retreat back to the cave. 

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 57 - Struck By Lightning

In the cave I take a look at what I've got. The rabbit .... is gone. 18% and frozen. Not worth. But it's amazing how light you get when you don't have anything. Despite howling around 6 kg of sticks , 5 kg of water and 4 kg  of meat .... I'm at 25 kilograms. Leaving some of this stuff behind in the cave .... I'm a lean 15 kg. Having at least 5 hours of waiting ahead of me I eat a wolf steak. I still have some condition to recover: 70% right now, and the day will be ..... stressful. 

When it's 6 am I take a peek outside. Clear skies, aurora. How cold it is stopped mattering a whole lot some time ago since it's always too cold. I make a fire in the cave and warm up my last tea. Torch in hand I get going. The target: through the Echo Ravine. 

screen_176b8bc1-9d7b-45bd-8929-e2ac06d14751.thumb.png.1065ded83d6fdc63978601bfaeb4b88a.png

Two teas don't get me far in -49°C. My torch dies in the winds which make advancing harder than I had hoped for. But turning back now would mean having spent some of my last resources for nothing. Not acceptable. Reaching the mouth of the ravine the winds run with me for once. I'm on the lookout for Harvey, but cannot spot him. So I get brave and steal his reishis. 4 of them. What riches. Together with 2 lonely rose hip bushes I'm swimming in tea all of a sudden. Sorta. 

I make my way up to the Echo Peak above his den. A cedar, a few sticks, nothing else. But lo and behold: I discover a new location on day 57. I chuckle. I gather firewood along the Gorge's cliff. I look out for the wolf, but also cannot see him. Then I spot Harvey at the lake - but in safe distance.

screen_c8da9739-d057-43f6-a491-c83a937a70ab.thumb.png.6c3eaf58cec3dce090bde327814b2c63.png

I clean the Northern Woods, and then slide down into the gorge. When I return to the cave I'm down to 32%, and 80% hypothermic. But I have parts for 3 new reishi teas, two rose hip teas and 40 new sticks plus a cedar. I wait three hours in the cave and then sprint to my shelter. I settle in and eat ..... and disaster strikes: Food poisoning from a 66% wolf steak. Really? THIS will kill me? I drink my reishi sip and sleep 10 hours, but I'm rather certain I will take freezing damage.

I wake up... not freezing .... but down to 29%. I'm out of options. I run to the cave, but I have no good idea how to recover from here. Midnight is upon me, and death .... is inching closer.

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 58 - Endgame

I have 2 wolf steaks and 1 cattail. Yes, that's it. I cannot afford starving down to 12-14%. So yes, one wolf steak goes right here, right now. Then I wait.

6 hours later, up to 33%, I decide to make the trip through the cave. Maybe I've got a rabbit waiting on the other side. If not ... maybe I can stone one. Outside a blizzard is raging. No idea for how long. In the snare I find a rabbit, which I take and place the snare back where it belongs. The rabbit is frozen solid, but I have no choice. I light up and start boiling water. The rabbit meat goes out of the rabbit onto the stone into my mouth. I will have to seriously scramble for food tomorrow, but today I gotta scramble for condition first. I head back through the cave.

At 11 am the weather seems good and warm enough, so I head back to the shelter as fast as I can. Eating my last wolf steak ever doesn't make my stomach sick again, and I punch in 10 hours.

Waking up at 9 pm I head back to the cave. I'm at 58% which will have to do tomorrow. I make it through the darkness again. No idea how many miles I traveled in here. With barely working night vision I make it through the dark, but I feel I was closer to falling down the ledge than I would have liked it to be. Warming up I prepare tea. It's been forever since I've done this. When I'm done the Aurora announces itself through the cave entrance.

screen_ac58de41-d10a-48f1-a41d-4c15895f07e2.thumb.png.e6d0927a3d17acc6ef20d5e46c9f9b69.png

No rabbit in my snare, and no rabbit to be seen anywhere. I turn back in to warm up. It's midnight again.

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 / Day 59 - Cut My Life Into Pieces

One cattail left. 1.19 liters of water. Potentially about 600 calories in tea. If I had to .... I could make it another day. But after that? I'd be scrambling for firewood and food at the same time, and the likely answer would be the same.

One place I haven't cleaned for cattails is the waterfall beneath Hide'n'Seek hill. The way up from there is steep, the area dangerous with a wolf and a bear roaming the premises. There are good reasons I gave this place a wide berth since Kermit 1 walked these grounds. But now I have no play left. Having warmed up I venture into the Aurora. Maybe.... to find my end. It's the only thing I am prepared for.

screen_f1edb93a-7138-49dc-a79e-bdbc61f51dcb.thumb.png.89d49f77d7c7b6a309de998d8a912173.png

Somehow I make the goat down in one piece. I've never done it before.

screen_f0313a39-148b-4f31-8626-3d3b4754dd16.thumb.png.b65e2d24941bed13402f51023a71eb91.png

I find eight cattails and keep walking the creek. 6 more. Then I turn up to the hill Kermit 7 found one of his miracle deer carcasses. No dice. I reach the bay of cattails. No rabbit at the run near the Hut. I reach the Hut and throw accelerant into the fire. Every moment counts right now. Two hours of fire. I start boiling tea. I'm at 27%. I cannot afford more condition loss on the way home. But even then ... I'm at the same detriment again tomorrow. I need a rabbit. A carcass. Anything. I munch a cattail to stay on my feet.

I look for the rabbit at the lake... but no luck again. The lake... should be picked clean of cattails. Nothing to be gotten there. Then.... yes... of course. The Death Bowl might just have a carcass. Fully aware I might be running into my own demise I go take a look. The carcass ... is there. So is the wolf. Just looking takes 2% condition off of me. I break the bench and the crate that is left in the hut while I boil more water.

The winds outside stay too harsh to light a fire. So I keep boiling. 

screen_9de759d1-933f-4685-a530-db7fde41ef53.thumb.png.6a3a66b0032d89b82e6befb47840df2e.png

I wait by the fire until 8 am. The winds change direction but ultimately stay. I'm out of time. Now or ever. This Is My Last Resort.

screen_ef4a8bfd-340d-4e6e-8cca-8bec31708a45.thumb.png.9bdf87e0b3e08e86adeac02e01328cee.png

The wolf is busy munching on a rabbit. I feel safe to approach and drop a fire. Then ... suddenly... before I can place the fire the wolf is done eating. It's sharp. It's short. It's warm thereafter. And quiet. It's truly the Death Bowl.

screen_908cdc30-892c-4769-992f-8626d90e776c.thumb.png.31b59d9ae420d855de06e2f8e8b5d3a9.png

Guest jeffpeng

Thatch 4 - Obituary

Thatcher, the Timberwolf Sasquatch IV. died this morning on Timberwolf Mountain in the Death Bowl torn to pieces by a wolf while desperately trying to steal a deer carcass from him. While his demise was unfortunate and generic at the same time, little did it do justice to his great accomplishments.

For 58 days he lived, struggled, fought and ultimately survived on Timberwolf Mountain without ever knowing the comforts of sleeping in a bed or leaving the area. His impeccable skills with both the stone and the flare gun will be remembered as much as his impossible goatings that defied both human nature and the laws of physics more often than not. To his great feats count the creations of two deerskin pants, rabbitskin mitts as well as a pair of deerskin boots, all the while returning home to his beloved estate, the Three-Way-Cave, every time thereafter.

Set out to survive 10, maybe 20 days, cheers encompassed the known world when he marked his 30th day - and nations stood quiet in awe watching him see the 50th sun rise over Timberwolf Mountain. That he fell just short of 60 days is both tragic and testament to his astonishing success.

Never, so was decreed, is another Sasquatch named Thatcher to walk the frozen wastes of Timberwolf Mountain again. Never, so was decreed, shall his name or his deeds be forgotten. We salute you, Thatcher, the Timberwolf Sasquatch IV., and bid you farewell.

Guest jeffpeng

What this effectively means: I think I have done all I can do here. Making another miracle run like this is..... just not realistic, at least not for me and my limited talents. While I did do mistakes, and while there are some tweaks I would apply to another run like this, to many stars would have to align to make it even better, even longer, even more successful.

I effectively hit 7 out of 8 flare shells (even if one was wasted on a wolf I couldn't recover). I had one wasted cloth to repairs (but 4 wasted leather .... -_-) I never got into a struggle until the very end, I took a lot of risks goating and only one time actually fell, and that really mildly. In short: I rolled the dice so often, and came out on the winning side in the majority of cases.

Also having overshot my own goal (which was 15 days) by so much I really feel like I "won" this challenge and that means I need the next one.

Personally I would be thrilled to see other people have a go at this challenge. I grew from "kinda liking" TWM to making it tied with my most favorite place in the game. Every time I will return here I will feel home. By now there's no turf in all of TLD I know better.

I will take a go at "Sleepwalking" LvL 4 as proposed by @BareSkin in his thread about this custom game mode.

5 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I really feel like I "won" this challenge

Oh yes, we'll all agree on this I think. Very impressive. To my knowledge I've seen only you and @Drifter Man surviving TWM in late weather. My best shot at snowballing was 4 days I think :D

5 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

will take a go at "Sleepwalking" LvL 4

I'm really happy about it. It should be a breeze to you! I've actually started Bareskin27 today on SW4, so good timing. But no idea if I'll report honestly, that's a lot of work.

Archived