Annoying Stalkers

Smellyfries

I've been trying to complete all of the challenges recently, which means i tend to get in a lot of contact with wolves. Something I've noticed about wolves that is rather annoying in my opinion is when they stalk you.

My main gripe about it is as the wolf is stalking you, I've noticed multiple times when the wolf's (lets just say timer) for stalking you runs out, and you can clearly see it has lost interest. But multiple times have i had it happen where the wolf looses interest, but instead of walking away, it just immediately detects me again, because it was close enough to start stalking again, leading to tracking across half of Timber wolf and Pleasant Valley, with a wolf on my butt. (Note; i did not have any meat or anything that attracts wolves.)

This is just my opinion, but it's something i wanted to put up there. :wolf:

39 minutes ago, Smellyfries said:

but instead of walking away, it just immediately detects me again, because it was close enough to start stalking again

Good that you are keeping calm and avoiding attack @Smellyfries.
Maybe it is a matter of getting further away to escape the wolfs sight and scent detection radius.
Try adding some distance and see if that is better at causing the wolf to lose interest in tracking.
Good luck my friend. :coffee:

I've been playing for a while now with the animal and scent detection settings at their longest distances, so I've got fairly used to being constantly followed too. A bigger problem for me than the stalking itself is the fact that if you do decide to take measures to scare the wolf away (with a gunshot or a fire or a flare or something), the wolf is mostly still within its detection range even after it's run away. This means it immediately comes straight back at me as soon as it's finished fleeing, and tends to force me to light multiple fires, one every few meters, until I can get myself into a shelter. This is pretty annoying, for one thing, and it also feels 'gamey' and unnatural as a way of keeping my character safe.

If HL is planning an update to the animal AI (as RvL mentioned in the last Mailbag), then it can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Archived