Newbie Survivor Log

tulkawen

Day 88

- 1h of morning reading until it warms up

- i didn't know i could chop picnic tables for reclaimed wood

- nothing at the waterfall itself. the river looks good to follow until i spot a bridge and do my best to scramble on top of a steep bank

- a snow road behind the bridge leads me to a cave that doesn't look too trustworthy. i stop regardless to pry everything off a deer

- i don't want to stay in the cave and i'm not feeling threatened so i'll carry the stinky meat and guts

- two ruined buildings on the road. an adventurer is one has painkillers and matches

- a wolf howls. now i do feel a bit threatened

- crossed another highway. keeping to the mountainside in search of a cave and find one

- 2% soda no thanks

- i can build the fire to cook meat. i have a piece of reclaimed wood from those two houses and 2 coal pieces in the cave. i need a stick to start

- i can just spend 10mins tearing up this braaaa...nch... ahh! blizzard!

- this cave isn't cozy. it has a flat entry so the wind blows in snow that curls around the floor

- started a fire and began cooking

- oddball the guts i dropped aren't curing. oh i need to move them deeper into the cave

- reading more of guns guns guns maybe if i read enough my rifle will get trained to shoot without my assistance in which case i'll have a chance to hit something

- deer meat for supper and well earned rest

• Upvote 1

Day 89

- the blizzard raged all night. it's -1C even in the cave. a bit chilly

- got two sprains as soon as i set my foot outside... aww... i don't want to sleep them off... used painkillers to go back to the highway and the car i passed by yesterday

- haven't seen a car in a while i've been living away from civilization on a wolf mountain. also forgot why i used to carry the prybar around... locked trunks

- got a soda and 1 cloth anyway, spent 15mins crafting in the car to warm up. though the warmth bar went down a little

- what are those crows cawing at? empty guy and 4 rosehip bushes around him

- i passed those houses yesterday... i'm going back to the highway

- it's the end of the road! it's says so. ruined soda and candy bar next to a guy. scoooore!! hello timely prybar!

- gloves in the car trunk. nice

- back at the rest cave. drop sticks just in case and keep going along the road. ooh more munchrooms!

- where did the road go? climbing some steep mountain path and getting another sprain but the view is amazing

- oooh! i know where this is. this is the mine to coastal and my stash

- nothing that deteriorates fast here. another prybar

- past noon and so windy. drink soda and read. wait can't read due to sprain. food waste. more scenery then and rest at least it's 2h

dbPMoph.png

Night 89

- try reading some more 14/25h what's letting me read past dark?

- OHH!! OHH!! look at the sky and the aurora majesty!

- the mine lights are blinking! i've never seen this before! this is super duper awesome!

- ran around the corridors in wavering light. discovered a tunnel i haven't been to before. very useful too quality tools and ammo box

- came back with my prizes perfectly satisfied. soda and finish off mre pack before sleeping soundly

9Y821ta.png

Day 90

- steady steady this shortcut down is making me do some scary leaps

- rolled to some kind of cave that doesn't inspire trust. checked it with the rifle out

- later discovered another cave by the river, much friendlier. a frozen friend by the fire had a knife and a bullet and some ruined food

- the waterfall splashes soundly, cattails and birch saplings grow nearby

- buildings and tractor ahead

- bark!! eep! i have no idea where he is, i just sprint across the road with loud growls right on my heels. it's an antsy doggo

- this is a big house with a bed. searched the living room. i wander where the wolf was. made exit through another door

- entered a house next door. it's a storage shed. reclaimed wood, sardines and tools

- careful sticking my head out the door. a fire barrel doesn't have anything. crossed the road and ran around two ruined houses

- searched a tractor and a red car

- barky bark! hide in the truck. i can see the wolf through the window

- should i read 1h for him to go away? nah... crafted 15mins and ran for the big house

- more barking. he sure doesn't want visitors

- searched the rest of the house. dropped off a lot of food at the fridge. then stored all extra items in the living room

- i can do three hours worth of reading before sleep

Day 91

- sounds windy out. eat a choc bar... too dark to read? boo!

- tear up clothes until the wind stops howling. i hope i don't get eaten by barky

- take toilet water and run for the bridge

- i'm going to leave the gas station for worse weather to explore. exploring an area behind it instead

- a wolf is chasing rabbits among the trees. let's not interrupt

- another cave and a deer next to it. i can take everything off and drop it at the cave.

- it's still very early so i go exploring and hope to come back here for supper

- wow this road has the banks as tall as the mountains... crawl along it until there is a gap to cross

- two picnic tables ahead... pff they've eaten everything without me

- a wolf is hanging around in the distance... went around a hill to block him off and found a forest cave. just a cedar long

- an adventurer not far off  has a hoodie and jerky

- ack a wolf is trying to sneak this way in between the boulders... time to head in the opposite direction

- frozen pond, frozen pond you've got choc bar and soda

- dropped the cedar log next to the stove in the fishing hut maybe i'll come back in the future

- i should head back to my deer supper cave...  i thiiiink the road is behind the hut?

- two sprains later, limped to the cave and cooked deer

- i missed a niche at the back. bedroll and food, also ruined peaches

- dropped my bedroll in this niche and curled up tummy filled with yummy food

Edited by tulkawen

:xHappy Valentines Day everyone! :x

Day 92

- left the guts at the cave

- following the highway for the longest time with some steep wind and snow

- warmth bar is slowly dropping at -5C it's half down when i reach a bridge and a rambling waterfall with an empty cave by its side

- useless cave so keep going until i spot a frozen guy on a ledge. the ledge is tricky to get onto and when i do there is a connecting cave to the hydro dam

- followed the tunnel unhurriedly to pick up coal and warm up

- picked up some food and cloth from adventurer

- an exit glimmers ahead and there is a roof collapse... a deer has fallen into the cave

- doesn't have much meat on it, ignore and keep going

- uuff! it's blizzard out. go back in and take the hide with guts. still blizzard. read 2h still blizzard

- i guess i'll start a fire and cook 0.8kg of meat, maybe read some more then sleep

Day 93

- traveling along the winding river and collecting as i walk

- the river sends me over a hill and continues on the other side where i discover a cave up the bank

- an empty blue box and some jerky are waiting for me

- i keep hearing wolf howls as i travel the upper path until i spot a deer by a campfire

- 2kg of meat is a tempting offer. i take all plus a fir log and go back to the cave to hide from the windy, unfriendly weather

- ate a choc bar and read 2h while cooking

- noooo! i forgot to add one miserly twig, the fire was for 1:47 min ... awww... the second meat piece did not finish cooking and has to be started over

- 3 fails on restarting the fire ahh! 5 matches over my foolishness! this better be the king's dinner!

- the strong wind outside might be blowing into the cave thus the fire attempts failed

- one stinky lines on me due to carrying 3 chunks of meat. that patrol wolf is so going to smell me

- wolf? wolfy? lots of bunnies frolicking over the ice. i better grab all harvest food before he comes

- the hydro dam gates really are impressive, remind me of mordor or something lord of the rings scale

- the path runs up to scale the hydro dam wall and lets me tiptoe over most narrow ledge. sit on the wall and enjoy the view of the world

- found a fishing hook in a green box...

- there is also a deer on the other side... i wander how it got here and what took it down

- i have enough weight and food, so i let it be

- path? path? path? the snow covered door won't let me in. clicked the wall and fell into the dam

- is that a broken window i flopped though? heh i can't reach it back to exit

- this dam is not for my bunny nerves... the howls and creaks make me feel eaten just by listening

- managed to search very well the first room before night fell

QuQKq67.png
  • Upvote 1

Day 94

- took sweet time going through the lower dam and found all sorts of items. wilderness cooking book is a very good find. i want more books to read

- found a work bench too and used it to craft a fishing line and an arrow. funny how i found an arrow shaft while i had feathers and one tip. and then found a line while i had 1 hook from the frozen pond

- ski boots? i have to stop to tear them apart. i'm already carrying insane 50kg

- eventually found two doors to exit the dam. one of them goes to the upper level and the other outside

- crawled along the ledge again back to the deer. i have grabbed a fuel book since you can fail 3 times on an 80% stick

- wooho! i can use magnifying glass! at least some compensation

- the mountains are gorgeous pink and the wolf makes an appearance skidding over the ice

- read another hour until the stars appeared

- this is a very nice night and i feel like predators won't attack me up here

- slept 3h three times under the stars and woke up fully rested

4Z8cRcv.png

Day 95

- drank one soda and finished reading advanced guns book.

- woohoo!! penitent scholar achievement!

- level 3 firearms ding!

- the weather is grand. stay outside and shred all clothes over 0.10kg weight until moderate snow begins falling

- still super heavy... crawled to the hatch where an adventurer has two broken arrows to enter the upper dam

- i have been here before but i'll double check to be sure and i guess i'll tear up the cloth items such as rugs

- i missed a very well hidden firestriker and a box of ammo the last time. taking the fuel books too

- getting dark again. drink 3 sodas since i'm out of water and sleep

Day 96

- not the friendliest morning, snow curtain against black sky

- made a fire on the doorstep to boil water. 80 rosehips. i'll craft meanwhile.

- it got lighter. i can drop more wood into the fire and set more water to boil while i make a quick run to the trailer to drop off loot items

- i also remember making a stash in one of the trailers

- ooooof! got hit by a blizzard as soon as i walked down the steps. the trailer is near so i'll fight the wind to get to it without sprint

- this one isn't the stash trailer. it has an empty blue box. i fill it to the brim with stuff before running next door in the blizzard

- not bad at all. one choc bar spoiled but many items are still good

- i also have a pair of mukluks at 27% in the locker

- since i have 48 cloths and enough leather i can repair them to 100%

- the locker also has a book on shooting with 1/4h

- they are a less windproof and not as warm as the ski boots, but they are only 1.5kg vs 4kg which is a huge bonus and 10% more waterproof

- i'll give them a chance due to recommendations

- peeked outside, it's still kinda nasty

- i can run to the dam to grab water and the pot

- the water boiled out

- picked mushrooms near the trailer and slept

I find the ski boots way to heavy. Mukluks are way better. I only use ski boots in places where I expect to be standing around in the cold for long periods of time (useful for living in the mountaineering hut, for instance). The rest of the time, I highly prize the ability to move! 

• Upvote 1

@cullam I'm giving the mukluks a try, they're pretty good. I think the game in general values them more than other boots. So far out of various boots I found Mukluks just once during one of my runs. I found ski and insulated in various games.

Day 97

- windy and not nice. there is a river running under a bridge that's next to the dam

- went along it picking cattails. there are so many.

- i don't know this spot at all. mountain banks. wolves begin howling

- eventually i spot a rope. the fatigue is not great, i believe i can manage. i'm going to eat something and drink before climbing

- eep! there is a second rope! um... that's not good my fatigue is now reducing the weight a bit

- dropped the bedroll right there and slept 1h

- the blizzard is coming the blizzard is coming in two mins... it's -5C

- began climbing the second rope and stopped at the ledge... the ledge has a windbreak in positive temp. the fatigue dropped my weight limit again

- ate and drank then whelp i have to try sleeping 2h

- eesh the wind direction changed during sleep but i still have half of my warmth bar, not for long it's -13C

- i have half of the rope left and still too much weight... dropped a fuel book oh good i can climb go go go!

- this is definitely a yucky blizzard... phew! lucky me! there is a cave right there on my right as soon as i get off the rope

- it's a good cave. an adventurer has a small book 4h worth of reading and a cedar log

- this is cool, a coat i haven't seen. an old working parka. it's actually a good coat. my expedition parka is better but that one would be very welcome any mode too

- hello friendly fire... wow my hat and earmuffs are in the frozen zone, the rest is close to frozen

- still daytime... eat and read 2h... why am i made of stupid... i just made that mistake recently... the fire went out while i was reading... i have to be careful

- at least my clothes are almost fully dry

- it's night. i believe the cave is warm enough with the fire so i'm going to sleep

Day 98

- hello morning. where in blazes am I? a lake overlook? wow! i can see the cabin from here except there is a mountain slope between us

- no wolves hanging around the lake maybe i hurt their feelings by shooting their buddy and now they're like we're not going to play with you anymore

- bunnies doing hippedy hop and a dead deer i can skin

- i'm not taking those two ropes again

- the snow slope doesn't look too bad... eventually wound my way to the cabin without encountering anything with lots of teeth

- the house is emptier than i remember... some food stashed in the drawers... a few items here and there... it has an uninhabited look to it

- dropped deer stuff and went across the ice in the direction of the fishing cabins where it got foggy

- more cattails. i have a stack of 54. i think i can leave them here in case i go this way again since they don't spoil

- i'm not going to walk around the ice where i saw 3 wolves and a bear in the fog, back to the house

- repaired my earmuffs, crafted rosehips which i'll also leave here, tore junk clothes

- mystery lake is uncomfy right now, some shoddy weather

- i am not feeling like this is my base... actually timberwolf mountain feels like a hole where i'd want to entrench for a while

- hmm turns out i don't have matches stashed either in this cabin. i have 4 left and mag glass. i'm going to sleep here, take the expiring food and leave tomorrow

Day 99

- have i checked the area around the lake? it may have another book on fishing. i'd love to collect more books

- ewww this wind is evil. best cook a piece of deer meat and make coffee

- weather got a bit better in the afternoon so off i go across the ice to check the fishing cabins

- nuuuuh who stole the door off the fishing hut nearest to the house? finding a few items and leaving wood along with prybar at the huts

- yep there most certainly are 3 wolves guarding the lake

- curved around the island to check the fishing cabin and a house nearest to the bear cave. i don't think the bear is in the area

- while i made this circle the wolves patrolled away from the central fishing hut. it might have something good

- oh nuts one of the pack changed his mind and is heading for the same hut i am. he gives a bark when i'm entering it

- no wander they're guarding this. a fishing book and a box of ammo. i see an adventurer on the island as well

- the wolf barks again and goes after me as soon as i leave the hut... one disadvantage of walking backwards with the gun out is that you can't see where you're going

- reached the docks and the grass that's along the bank but ended up backing past the house

- the wolf ends up standing right in front of the door... ufff his buddies are hanging around the other cabins

- tried to shoot him and missed... he doesn't get scared and jumps me

- nasty fight he takes a lot of my health but at least he finally runs off. hope the hatchet killed him

- got inside the house to treat injuries. used two hooks and lines i found to combine them into two fishing rods

- found some canned food in the condition that needs to be eaten soon and nommed it before rest

Day 100

- owwie i haven't healed to a hundred after teeth. it's fine, health high anyway

- this fog is not fun. read wilderness kitchen and finished it

- a pack of crows, this looks like the wolf that got me

- first since his buddies are gone i'll check that guy on the island

- skinned the wolf and carried him to one of the cabins. fog got really bad again

- fir logs around the cabins and a fire log inside. built a big fire for a lot of water and cooked every wolf piece 5.8kg in meat

- read a bit and tore up a few clothing items before sundown

- going to eat dogfood not wolf meat for dinner due to spoils. the meat will be fine outside

I'm super duper excited, though, I haven't recorded this run in detail. I wanted to start a Loper run at some unfriendly location such as Timberwolf or Hushed River to see whether I can get out of there to the friendlier territory in one piece.

The game dropped me off at the Offset Falls. I found a box of matches at an open cave by following the river and then went all the way to the end where the river gets blocked and turned up the bank to an area where the traveling caves are. Those matches became crucial because I needed light to explore and find shelter (which turned out to be non-shelter).

Got completely freaked out by the tunnel wolf, but managed to avoid him by carrying torches and found what every Loper wants. After dodging multiple wolves for days I managed to explore some caves and to check a few empty caves, slept in those too.

The last leg of the journey had nearly killed me. I went from the exploration cave where the deer is down the rope to the hushed river. A wolf chased me on the way to the rope. I was carrying those deer guts, so, I dropped one as decoy and the wolf went for it instead of chewing me up. But, then I've taken a wrong turn at the bottom of the rope and accidentally went to the other exploration cave system. Wanted to warm up in there or even stay the night and heard the wolf growling in the darkness as soon as I entered. Bolted out like my butt was on fire. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I already had hypoth instead. Kept running until I reached that first open cave where I found my first box of matches. Made fire there to warm up during 2h of sleep, ate many ctails and drank tea for traveling warmth.

At that point the evening began setting in and minor snowfall began covering the ice. I wanted to stay the night at the cave, but I didn't have enough firewood and I was afraid I might sleep and recover a bit, but then be chased out in much worse weather at mid-night since I felt the snow might get worse and blizzard convert. In any case, I continued walking all the way to the Stairsteps lake. From there I found a highly difficult to detect path. At some point it's very steep and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to climb it. The tea effect had long expired at that point and my health began drooping to the alarming levels. Followed the path, even though it doesn't give much variation I took a couple of wrong turns regardless. The snow kept getting thicker with each hour while I traveled and dusk fell with the tip of the moon already visible. When I saw the entrance the fatigue also mounted on my shoulders, the backpack was like a rock. My survivor was dragging her feet very much sluggishly and I kept watching her health bar dangerously lingering closer and closer to the red zone, while the weather rolled closer and closer to the blizzard state.

I crawled to the mine that leads to Milton one step before nightfall with my health at 12%. Immediately dropped the bedroll, ate so many ctails (this is one thing hushed river is magnificent for) and dropped off into long sleep as the blizzard imploded outside. This was one of those moments where you're seeing safety, but aren't sure whether your survivor will make it, and I'm just so excited that I did it.

I just feel so proud having survived a Loper start at Hushed River. More so, I came carrying away: 3 match boxes, 2 hacksaws, 1 prybar, finished reading a 5h book on wilderness survival and most importantly the bedroll. :toque:

5jssNPG.png

Edited by tulkawen
  • Upvote 4

Day 101

- since i'm stuck here and everything is heavy i'll drop extra junk and check one area. there is a rope i can climb

- turns out the rope is behind another group of houses. i get there undisturbed

- one bullet in the adventurer's pocket at the cave and logs

- climbed down. i'm going to drop all firewood off at the fishing cabin nearest to the big lake house

- oho... there is a wolf next to it moving with ill intent towards me, not stalking yet

- backed off to the second farthest cabin and dropped the firewood

- whoa this wind just evolved into a blizzard. moving intuitively to the bank where the cabin is to hide

- eat something and read the fishing book. got a good 4h chunk done before the wind subsided

- there is a new cave nearby... checked, absolutely bare... i have this sneaky suspicion it might be a bear cave which doesn't hang around on voyager but will at harder mode

- wolf meat dinner and sleep

Day 102

- finished the fishing book to carry less. still very heavy due to 7L of water and wolf meat

- i found two more packs of matches in the fishing huts, i'm good there

- meh this fog. grab another bite and read stay on target an hour

- looks decent, let's go. i don't see the wolf patrol, which is a bother. they must be waiting in the bushes then

- i knew it! that wolf that chased me off from the nearest fishing hut to the lake house was very much waiting in the cattail bushes

- he sounds like the fish taunted him all morning and left without dinner

- sprinted as he growled on my heels and walked backwards with him surely thinking of going for it

- i am carrying 36kg so it's slow moving. dang it. sprint again. barely got away from him

- dropped guts and wolf hide. then organised the shelves before stepping out and dropping the meat. i still have a chunk of deer meat too

- repaired balaclava and crafted food before rest

Day 103

- there are red wagons along the rail tracks, they might be worth checking out

- noticed a wolf upon approach and hurried up tree into the wagon. he does notice and give a mean bark before cruising around the wagon

- peeked out the wagon, holy, there is a second wolf. what are they guarding? this wagon doesn't have anything special

- one attempt to leave doesn't work and i get chased back into the wagon

- waited a bit longer and gave those wolfies a slip running uphill

- stumbled onto a frozen river and walked along harvesting until i reached a pond

- a good stack of harvest here too but the hunters blind doesn't have anything too special. another bullet is always good to have nonetheless

- there is a deer but i know a wolf likes coming here and i have a lot of meat so i'm going to leave while it's safe

- walking around in the snowfall leads me to an itsy bitsy house with a bed and a bit of old food

- i am considering sleeping here but there is sufficient daylight left which would be a waste. i might look around and return

- ended up doing a little more than a little looking around. climbed some huge hill and ended up in the middle of the road up a peak

- i know this spot. this is the destroyed lookout. found another stay on target on the ground, happy with that.

- the weather is fairly warm. i suppose i could make it downhill before nightfall but i want an adventure

- the fallen lookout roof has windshield and provides a couple of degrees bonus. there is enough room for a bedroll and a fire underneath it

- searched the entire peak for extra firewood for the night, one fuel book, 7 sticks, two cedar logs, chopped two planks and found a bit more reclaimed wood, i can also break a bench

- the large firewood container has a mountain rope instead of firewood. this is interesting because this spot has a rock for dropping the rope, which is what i do

- i spot an intact lookout on the neighboring hill. i see a road winding up but i can't understand its entry point

- finished reading the archery book. it can also be burned. i wandered if i'd get enough light but it let me keep reading. turns out it's the aurora night

- it is also a warm night. i am not cold without the fire

- slept in 2 or 3h sprints. the temperature went to +3C at the lowest point at least when i checked in between sleep

8WeY89W.png

An update on my Hushed River Loper start.

I thought I spent about a week at HR, but I checked log after sleeping in the cave and it said Day 5. Made it to the trailer which offered a heavy hammer and from there went for the church. There was a wolf hanging around the Church entry so I had to cross the road and go past him via left side and also get more hypoth bite because he took my chance of warming up at the Church.

Got to the Milton Mansion which has a wolf welcome party hanging around. Then spent some time playing dodge ball with the wolf by running in and out of the cars and various Milton buildings. Followed the street house to house until the end of the street and reached the gas station. Good finds included combat pants. In terms of clothes I ended up pretty decent. Work boots, military and jeans, two sweaters and one vest, fleece gloves and a scarf so all was covered vs frostbite. From the gas station went across the logging area and entered the farm area where I saw a deer. Started the fire and began cooking plus skinning but didn't finish. Had cooked meat, hide and one gut when bad weather set in and I had to run in the storm to the house. Turned out the house needed a key. After searching a couple of barns found it at a yellow tractor and climbed into the cluttered house which has a really nice bed.

From there I ventured down the rope into the Milton basin. I found another deer and took his meat plus hide and one gut then saw a wolf and retreated back to the ruined building with a stove. Gathered more and small deer piece got burned.

Found a cave where I slept two nights while during daytime I grabbed as many cattails as I could and rosehips. The cave was fairly warm. Chanced twice sleeping 10h without fire. Once it went well. The morning a blizzard started once I woke up. I found 2 coal at the cave and had to use one to warm up. It got severely cold in the cave about -4C even with the max fire without coal. The second night lost all my healing and woke up with about 35% health because another storm dropped in. I guess still lucky due to sleeping in a cave without fire and waking before health was gone. Used my second coal to wait out this blizzard too and then moved out in the afternoon. There was a bit more food around but it was wolf patrolled one side and Moose on the other. I had left one gut at the stove and didn't go back for it because of the wolf and Moose blocking that way. Got sneaking around the river instead to the rope and escaped.

Back at the farm a very sneaky wolf was waiting for me. He was really good at harassing and hiding and always very close to the farmhouse. Basically, you step out and look around. The field looks absolutely empty. The second you leave the porch he tries to jump you from cover. Once he was literally around the farmhouse wall. Searched the schoolhouse and that other Milton street then went back to the farm. I stored a piece of deer meat in the fridge instead of dropping it outside and it was down to 18%. Ate 880 cal anyway and got away with it. Had 6 anti poison pills so I was willing to take the risk.

One funny quirk in this game included the lack of a single can opener on two big maps. I get why Hushed river didn't have one, but I wander what all Milton inhabitants did with theirs. I had somewhere around 10 cans of dogfood, tomato soups, peaches and kept waiting for a can opener on them. I was good with food though, I had about 50 cattails.

Anyway woke up with very decent health for Loper and wandered if I should use the workbench at the farmhouse near the barn or go to the trailer. I had 3 deer skins. Had to go to the trailer anyway since I had only two hides at the farm curing.

Doing very well. Bedroll, hammer, 3 hacksaws. Half of the wolf jacket (2 wolf pelts), two bunny pelts, a bunch of deer pelts. Lots of food. Decent clothes for Loper.

Anyway stepped out on the porch. No wolf. Looked around. No wolf. Went down from the porch. No wolf. There is that big barn ahead where the workbench is. It has two exits. I'll sprint to it and hide behind walls to lose the wolf if he appears out of nowhere. Use one door to enter and the other to exit.

Run run run. Enter the barn. Walk through the barn.

POUNCE!!!!

I got wolfed inside the barn by the exit. He was hiding behind the barn wall where the door is.

Yep. He killed me. Right after I promoted the good of crowbars to @BareSkin too. :D I'm kind of bummed. I thought I had a decent chance to pry him off with 75% health and a crowbar for defense but no cigar. Wolf has my stuff now. :wolf:

5 hours ago, tulkawen said:

Half of the wolf jacket (2 wolf pelts)

How the hell did you get wolf pelts so quickly on a Loper start? oO

5 hours ago, tulkawen said:

Yep. He killed me. Right after I promoted the good of crowbars to @BareSkin too. :D

Dying in a struggle, while on Loper, is more probable that any other outcome, even with a "quick" weapon (prybar, hammer). That's why I prefer dying frozen while avoiding them

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

How the hell did you get wolf pelts so quickly on a Loper start? oO

The Hushed River start I described two posts above. :D There are two dead wolves on the map. I skinned them and dragged their hides all the way to Milton.  That's how you get a wolf pelt on Loper first day or so and not a bad meat dinner even though parasites keep trying to creep in. ^_^

-_- Stupid dramatic irony. That was timed so perfectly. Crowbar is a grand defensive weapon! Dies two mins later defending oneself with a crowbar.

Day 104

- i'm going to leave this fun firewood stash and climb down the rope. it falls in between this lookout's peak and the one i wish to visit

- spent hours going around the mountain in circles and obtained two wrist sprains. i'm getting frustrated. i can see and can climb very near the wooden railing that leads to the road but the hill won't let me get onto it

- after a lot of stumbling finally crawled over some boulders and clung to a tree to squeeze past the fence

- i'll stay the night at the forestry lookout. since there is daylight stood outside and put in 3h of reading

- came about to the most foul blizzard that gave my clothes a beating. two items are in the frozen stage

- repaired pants and earmuffs, tore up junk clothes, harvested broken arrow, sharpened my hatchet and crafter rosehips with mushrooms

- since i'm short on water, i'll eat peaches and tomato soup

- i found a can opener. i will keep it in my inventory otherwise it wastes my hatchet without asking and i keep forgetting to drop the hatchet before opening food

- rest

Day 105

- since the big blizzard set in, i'll boil the water after all along with various teas

- broke a bench and used a fuel book to start the fire, fuel books give 100% chance now

- it's a good thing this stove has two slots

- busted a chair then a table

- finished cooking every tea in my inventory, still blizzard

- repaired gloves and my hat

- allowed the fire to run out and used a water purification tablet on the last batch of water

- ate jerky to finished reading stay on target

- half of mre for supper and sleep

Day 106

- minus one and clear, the warmth bar is going down very slowly, i'm in no hurry and scout the road

-  i had spotted a yellow trailer yesterday so i want to shortcut to it

- i'm pretty sure the base of this path is next to the red wagons and two wolves and i'll roll right into their mouth without the shortcut

- the shortcut was successful but i ended up on the wrong side of the red wagons. they're between me and the yellow one. i am next to the lake cabin however

- i'm carring over 30kg. this works to drop off extra stuff and have my wolf meat

- the deer hide and guts are cured

- stepped out into impenetrable fog, let's play cards for a couple of hours to see if it lifts

- it does moderately. i'm tempted to check on the hunters cabin. my charcoal marks say i've been to it

- hi deer will you be my shield? it's a very cooperative deer, runs in front of me half of the way

- on the way discovered a new cave that lets me leave ML. it seems ML is connected to many places

- kept going to the cabin and checked it. i have been here before but it seems it was a brief stop

- the locker and safe aren't pried open. there is an improvised hatchet and a hammer on the workbench. i'll switch to improvised until i bust it and leave my good hatchet

- a couple of hours of daylight left. i'm going to re-check where that cave entrance was. i seems to have lost it. was checking the rocks on the wrong side of the barn next to the house. i'm tempted to check that area but i want to walk around ML some more

- bumped into an empty but intact snare. i have completely forgotten about setting it. that was three months ago. you have failed miserably to catch me dinner, snare! reset it nearby

- sprained ankle. seems it's a signal to eat dubious quality dogfood dinner and tuck in for the night

Day 107

- that's not a fun weather. there is a wilderness kitchen book with 1/5 researched. ate more doggy food and finished reading the entire thing

- proceeded to shred boots and clothes

- finally no blizzard. very windy anyway and fairly late to go far. stood outside and repaired bedroll

- this dusk is creepy, turning in for the night after nomming wolf meat

Day 108

- what an unpleasant wind and -7C i don't want to camp at the house nonetheless

- i keep getting confused about this zone, apparently going straight and left from the hunters cabin makes you enter the deadfall area

- went past the ruined hut, saw stumps ahead and a wolf, went around the hill and bumped into deadfall again

- the forests sure are good for walking in circles. eventually ended up back on the railway and reached the lake house

- dropped a couple of items at the house. i'm going to climb the hill and travel parallel to the tail tracks past the red wagon

- it does work. i spot a wolf from the hill that's heading over the tracks in my direction. sprinted to avoid being cut off by him

- eventually got past the spot and reached the yellow wagon. it really does make flimsy shelter. got a cap

- there is a logging area behind the yellow wagon. wanted to go that way but saw a wolf and headed into opposite direction towards the bridge by the hydro dam

- wolfy woof!! uh oh run! this one chases me across the bridge and almost bites my leg off as i jump into the truck

- i'll craft rosehips waiting for him to go away

- he's still on the bridge when i come out. the trailer is really close so i get inside it

- cured deer hide and guts. checked for any food to make sure nothing spoils. the other trailer has more stuff

- so.... i do need to go in the direction of the camp office and that wolf is in my way. i see him hanging around under the bridge. he sees me too and hurries to eat me

- hid in the trailer again. i'm going to have to go back the way i came and attempt to sneak past that other wolf in the logging area

- walk walk this wind really is suckage. hello deer. could you be a deer and run ahead of me so the wolf can get busy?

- the deer complies and i sneak past the wolf to the three trailers

- not that much stuff inside, some food. i don't carry a knife but there are ruined bedrolls and pillows. if i badly need cloth in the future this is where to go, tore up some old junk too

- ate wolf meat for supper and slept full 12h

Edited by tulkawen

Hey guys,

I've been working on another Interloper run. Since this one turned out a bit longer than usual I'm going to write it a bit more story like and add the quotes as the game does.

Game 8 Survivor: Crow

A man said to the universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”

- Stephen Crane

Day 1

- The mellow wavelets gloss over the ice reaching out towards my toes and retreating at the last moment the same way the apocalypse had retreated from me when I had set but one foot into infinity.

- Everything is glittering white: the sea, the Little Island I stand on, the clouds drowned in the azure sky that's beautiful yet not warming in this -15C weather.

- The island cliffs stand apart revealing a path to an ice encrusted ship, mast and wooden hull trapped in desolation.

- I'm going past it towards Hibernia and the docks where a can of dogfood hides under one wooden support beam.

- The chain of trailers fencing the main structure are woefully empty and the zero temperature is interpreted against me.

- For an hour, it's tempting to find meagre warmth in the crookedly laid mattress over the iron frames, but who can waste sunshine.

- Just one clothing item would help me break this threshold and make my existence inside the buildings comfortable.

- I have big hopes for the big building, but I shouldn't get my hopes up, in my experience the bigger the wardrobe, the emptier it is when one's Interloping.

- The plant offers a can of tomato soup and coffee. Climbing out the window along a ledge leads me to an adventurer who has salty crackers and a torch.

- Reluctantly, I buckle down in bed after all for a couple of hours to remove the cold ailments.

- It got two degrees warmer greatly aiding my search of a sewing primer, whetstone and a flare. Matches of course can make anyone's day.

- Come now, give me a tool, any tool, hammery hammer or a hacksaw. Just a safe.

- I crouch next to the safe and listen for tiny clicks until the door goes ajar offering peaches and beans in excellent condition.

- I heard to the wind howl outside while searching, which seems to have died down, but now I'm thirsty.

- A nifty fire barrel offers means to live. I check the second floor while the water boils and take a moment to appreciate the fire bleaks gleaming through the floorboards.

- Having drank, I grab a torch and hurry to check around the building outside, concerned that the torch might go out. It will be dark when I go back inside. There are too many obstacles to find the bed in this maze at night.

- All there is, is a piece of reclaimed wood on the ice, which I take and return to the fire barrel to boil coffee and water.

- Broke a couple of green crates for firewood and to get tired before heading upstairs.

- Except for the salty crackers in great condition, all my food is canned without an opener. In hopes of finding one and preserving the precious calories I end up eating the crackers which otherwise would have been saved for last.

- I fall asleep with the thought, how did I get here?

- The Desolation Point, even in name, it is a point, a period after which another sentence begins.

Mnh4ZJu.png 

Edited by tulkawen
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

If you interlope that often, maybe you could split the threads? That's always on a the first things someone wants to know when reading a survival story: which level you play. So a "First interlopers" thread might be useful

I feel like when it comes to a very long voyager game it tends to get a bit tedious to read about, so, these short Loper runs make for a good intervention before returning to this voyager story.

I also tend to outline very distinctly: Game# and Level headers to avoid confusion. It's sort of the first of everything I suppose. :)

Also, I still haven't tried the story mode or stalker. I'd have to expand all over the forum to do them too. :D

Edited by tulkawen
  • Upvote 1

Day 2

- In the morning I went to explore the remaining trailers, gaining wool socks as a prize. 

- Coming out of the last one I heard a welcome bark and rushed back to the central building where the temperature floated in low negatives, prompting an hour of sleep to warm up before heading back to the trailers and exiting the yard through a truck.

- Once I crossed the bridge, I spotted a bear heading towards the mine. It was tempting to rush towards him and slip right under his nose into the mine. 

- Steady, steady! Come now hill, let me climb up! The hill was too steep and the bear got too close, prompting me to retreat to the car and sit there freezing while the bear unhurriedly followed the road past the car.

- Sitting in the car at -9C, twiddling thumbs and waiting for the bear to go away

- Is he gone yet? Exit car, look right, look left, no bear, walk four steps... ROAR!!!

- Ahh!! The bear comes over to rub his back against the car then goes away.

- More freezing and thumb twiddling, he better be gone now.

- Ruuuuun to the mine entrance! Oh a stick, let's take that. Run!

- Thirsty, we want fire, no tinder, harvest 2 sticks.

- Drink coffee while the water boils, nobody wants thirst penalty.

- Found 5 coal and broke a small crate before collecting my water and grabbing a torch to explore the dark tunnel.....

- I do love inner cave loot areas! Matches! Sardines, beef jerky, 3 metal pieces, 1 reclaimed wood and more coal.

- Hi exit, I'll start a fire again with this torch.

- Broke a stool and checked around, hi driving gloves, that's super helpful against frostbites, btw I have gotten two of this threat waiting in the car plus hypoth risk.

- More soup and a storm lantern at 23% thank you very much! That's a great find!

- Is this frontier shooting guide any use aside from fuel? It only improves rifle doesn't it? Maybe I can make a rifle out of a broom and shout bang bang really loud to convince the wolves to run away.

- Broke another crate while all ailments cured, lets go!

- Picking up lots of sticks and taking my time harvesting along an upper path above the highway.

- What does this church have in store for me? Matches, many thanks to the praying guy. This is the matches haven. Antiseptic in the med kit.

- Hit the road where the red car is parked. The weather is threatening, even blizzard like when I get in and find a brown hat, helpful vs frostbite too. It doesn't matter how poor an item is, having it greatly reduces the frostbite chances.

- Making a run for it to the lighthouse and hopefully a warm bed.

- I make it, but my health has taken a beating down to thirty percent, a perfect time to hide due to the sun declining while keeping good visibility indoors, this was a productive trip.

- Most lockers are barred, emergency stim, how many times I wanted that two steps from safety, kitchen wilderness book.

- Its -1C in here, I seem to be just a couple of degrees underdressed for all these nice indoor locations.

- Hello stove, let's do a fire especially since you've got 1 cedar log for little cute me

- I'm going to heat tomato soup and suffer 11% cal loss, don't want anymore health beating.

- I doubt I need to go to Riken tomorrow. Even if it has an unlikely hammer, I don't have enough resources to craft. As for loot I've been there after getting trampled by a moose and it had 1 metal and 1 coal on the entire ship, not worth it, plus highly cold interior. I should aim for Coastal instead.

- I'm done crafting and boiling water, smash another tomato soup, 23% loss and smash peaches, 37% loss. This is highway robbery! Do you 10% increase per opening until you get a can opener? Boo!

-  All right, I'll sleep with this little for 8h.

Night 2

- Woke fully rested.

- I knew it, I should have boiled another portion of water before resting, but I also didn't want to mess up sleeping cycles, didn't want to get a late start during the day either.

- Minus 1 inside, losing warmth but very slowly.

-  Busted a chair and a crate to get tired, slept 1h and woke up not fully warmed up, sleep again? not tired

- Drank coffee and tried reading, got interrupted by hunger, that was super silly.

- I really want to read wilderness kitchen, maybe it will make my can smash skill better.

- The dawn is breaking.

A nice bear paw print through the window.

85hVuHf.png

• Upvote 1

Hehe, now you get how Rest is a resource like mushrooms? It's nice to see your decisions. I would have tried my luck in the Riken for clothing (sometimes cargo pants or sweater), but sure Coastal Highway is a high-resources place.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BareSkin said:

Hehe, now you get how Rest is a resource like mushrooms? It's nice to see your decisions. I would have tried my luck in the Riken for clothing (sometimes cargo pants or sweater), but sure Coastal Highway is a high-resources place.

:P Those stick diagrams weren't completely hopeless.

With Riken I think it depends on the situation since you might take extra hypoth beating for nothing, and not find sweater or pants. For now my clothing finds on Riken equal to zero, it's good to know about a possibility nonetheless. ^_^

• Upvote 1

Day 3

- I'm going to stash coal and metal pieces because I will be coming back to the forge, keep the rest for the road.

- Checked the roof hatch, empty of course.

- The weather is decent. There are at least three wolves on the ice. I wander if they're capable of spotting me on the bridges leading to the lighthouse.

- Once I reach the highway I hear an over-excited bark and run for the red car.

- Aghhh!!! Let me in dang it! Why is it so difficult to click doors standing next to them!

- The wolf pounces. I kick him, having no defensive weapon. Let go! Let go!!!

- He runs off with my clothes. The world is red.

- Stabbed myself with an emergency stim. I must make it back to the lighthouse!

- That wolf gave me sprains, but no other injuries.

- The effect wore off as I entered the lighthouse and began building a fire.

- At least fighting him wore me out. I eat to last 10h and fall into restless sleep.

Night 3

- Fumbled my way to the stove, boiled 2 cups of the mushroom tea, heated coffee and drank all before resting more.

- The wolf has destroyed my shoes, hat, gloves, hoodie and left my jeans at 2%

- I can't brag fancy health nor do I have much left. My wardrobe consists of the blue underwear and two pairs of socks, all at least half ruined.

- It's still a wander how I'm alive having survived when initially I had half health and no weapon to defend myself.

- I feel like I got pvped by a much higher level who ran off with my loot.

- It must be really cold at the Desolation Point if the wolves raid survivors for clothes.

- I'm going to take my entire coal stash because I need all resources after that raid and hit the road once more.

• Upvote 1

Day 4

- Here I go again. Taking the same route and meeting the same wolf.

- This time I manage to hide in the car. He sniffs the car and trots off lazily back to the lake.

- Is he gone yet? I'm freezing. Sneak out and start walking uphill when happy woof woof comes about.

- You again? Oh get a hobby! Have you ever heard of reading?

- Making a run for it to the church, dived towards the fire barrel and built flames, waiting to be allowed to drop coal and freezing.

- The wolf is mad, he takes down a rabbit in front of a hole in the wall where I can see and begins chowing it; stinker.

- Once the coal is added and hypoth goes away the wolf is gone, I sneak outside and check the rabbit; he left absolutely nothing to harvest.

- Back to the barrel, the heat bar is filling so slowly, once it's up I heat another coffee and drink for the road, grab the torch and run.

- It's no longer snowing, I cannot remember too well which way I should be going. I'm taking the upper path intuitively hopeful the exit is in that area.

- Intuition leads me right and the connecting mine entrance appears.

- Dropped the torch, from it lit the quality one found on an adventurer to explore the mine.

- Hurray, I found a prybar in a red drawer. A metal shelf near has a summit soda and fuel book.

- Following the tunnel and picking up a lot of coal along the way, the central area has a workbench and a sewing primer.

- Light ahead, extinguished the torch and checked two lockers. I'll leave 20 coal and metal pieces in them.

- The crumbling highway is like my shoeless life. The warmth bar hadn't recovered, but this clear weather must be taken advantage of.

- Let's leap over this fence and keep to the path since the lake has too many wolves.

- Woof!! Eek! Run for it! I have changed my mind, the lake is just fine!

- Nothing in the truck, careful down the bank, not seeing wolves on ice yet, hurray.

- There are snow isles around the ice, one of them opens to an Arch and a comfortable cave that has beans for me. I am concerned about the fatigue, otherwise, I may have started a fire.

- No threats ahead, I believe there is a way up the bank. Oh good, I can make it!

- Greetings Coastal Highway!

- The first car has no goodies for me, it's ok shelter soon, at the waterfront cottages that's what's important!

- The shelter that used to be here... all right who burned down these extremely useful transition zone cottages? oh hardy har har you got me so good... er nuts I think this joke might get me dead.

- Good news, the frozen guy has a field dressing book for me. Bad news, fatigue, frostbite, hypoth... health around 20% a bed would have helped so much right now.

- The nearest house is on the bear island and the bear is walking around the isle towards this bank.

- It can't be helped, I have to run towards the bear and hope I make it to the island before he curves around it.

- run run run please tell me this bank can be climbed, shoved myself uphill somehow before the bear saw me.

- I think one more tick and my health will be in red. Zoom into the house on top of the hill.

- Phew! This very nice house has matches and its big wardrobe has worn leather shoes! Victory! I am no longer socksfoot!

- I also get another pair of blue undies and a decent cotton scarf.

- Beans and dogfood on the menu. 10h of rest in this comfy and warm bed.

PBlgP8I.png

Edited by tulkawen

12 hours ago, tulkawen said:

The shelter that used to be here... all right who burned down these extremely useful transition zone cottages? oh hardy har har you got me so good... er nuts I think this joke might get me dead.

Welcome to Interloper :D. I nearly died around here once, I was so sure to find at least 1 house... lost a lot of health to hypo this day.

• Like 1