Your Hopes For The Long Dark

Tri13

We all have high hopes for this game it was my first survival game and I can't thank it enough for the amazing introduction to them. It really compelled me into playing games like Subnautica, Astroneer, and funnily enough Cuphead. So my hopes for it are new guns, better graphics, (and that includes textures) and more interactive features like to sit down or kick down doors. And a big part of my wish list is the ability to go through doors without the big loading sequence. Me and my brother used to joke about it, when the loading was happening we would say Open door, Close door, Look around, Slam head in the door, and then when it loaded we stopped. So what are your guy's hopes for this amazing game? And also is this an indie game or a AAA id like to know.

Hi. This is an indie game, developed by Hinterland studio. The people in charge are however experienced game developers who used to work for some of the AAA game dev companies and for that reason, they have a lot of experience in the game development industry. It is also for that reason why The Long Dark is such an incredible game, even though their development budget was initially very limited. The game itself owes its existence to a Kickstarter campaign which succesfully launched it off.

If you would like to find out more about history of the game, I am sure you can find it somewhere on the forums in here. :)

Also very happy to meet a fellow survival game fan. I admit I havent played the games you mentioned - but I really enjoy this genre. I am a big survival enthusiasist since young age, always dreamed of living of the land and one day hopefully, I will. 

If you have any hopes for the game, you should really discuss them in the "wishlist" section of the forums :) the Hinterland developers are unique in a way because they pay close attention to the Forums and what the players actually want. 

Now, I am sorry to say I dont think that your wish of no loading screens is likely - I believe the game actually works by loading individual indoor and outdoor locations separatedly, to decrease the "strain" on the PC. Basically, I dont think that "no loading screens" is possible for TLD the way it is programmed. But, I could be wrong :)

Players always want more guns. I admit that I like guns myself - but I dont think that TLD neccesarily needs to have a lot of them. There have been talks of a possibility of a revolver, as some busybodies were able to look through old files in the TLD game directory folders and found evidence of files named "revolver". 

I also think it is possible that we will see a shotgun one day. Maybe. 

Personally, I am a big fan of using a bow and arrows, and I dont think I will be using anything else much. Just love the added difficulty of hunting with that primitive weapon :)

You asked for what my "wishes" for the game are.
My biggest wish is that the Hinterland never stop taking into the consideration of their players. It is really what makes them unique in gaming industry, and why I have an absolute respect for the work they did, and why The Long Dark is my most favorite game of all time, and has been for the past 5 years of me, playing it.

I would like to see some more intelligent cooking system in the game one day. And more "survival" options - like different shelters, campfires, more craftable things, more harvestable plants, different animals, that sort of thing. 
Recently, I was hoping that the Hinterland would re-work the illnesses and injuries and make them more interesting, realistic and challenging.

Happy to see more of your ideas in the future :) Just remember to put em in the Wishlist section of the forums. More people will see it there. 
And dont be discouraged if people disagree with you - every idea has a merit. It took me a long time to learn that.

On November 10, 2018 at 4:02 PM, Mroz4k said:

My biggest wish is that the Hinterland never stop taking into the consideration of their players. It is really what makes them unique in gaming industry, and why I have an absolute respect for the work they did, and why The Long Dark is my most favorite game of all time, and has been for the past 5 years of me, playing it.

There are a lot of different companies out there that have great relations with customers, the one I am thinking of in particular being Paradox Studios.

Still, your point about them being "unique" by taking consideration of players is highly debatable.... 

2 hours ago, White_SnowTree said:

There are a lot of different companies out there that have great relations with customers, the one I am thinking of in particular being Paradox Studios.

Still, your point about them being "unique" by taking consideration of players is highly debatable.... 

Dont know bout the Paradox Studios. And frankly, that was really just my own opinion - if you dissagree, that is your opinion, and I respect that.

I have never, never seen a dev company to work so closely with their community. An indie studio at that. Basically just about everything that has been included in the TLD for the past 5 years has been at behest of the players. They add their own content too, sure, but at a very, very limited amounts, and always accompanied by a bunch of community requested content.

I have seen studios ignore its community. I have seen devs who took the idea of the community and did it their own way. I have seen studios who pretend to care for community while running their game just to cash it or meet their favorite celebrity YouTubers. Seen devs lie to their community, giving free passes on rulebreaking to VIPs and banning people who protested against this. Seen it all.

None of it is true for Hinterland. I have yet to see a studio this dedicated to its community, and working so closely, even adding things they might have not implemented othervise simply because the community wants it. So they are unique, in my opinion at the very least.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 5:32 PM, Mroz4k said:

Dont know bout the Paradox Studios. And frankly, that was really just my own opinion - if you dissagree, that is your opinion, and I respect that.

I have never, never seen a dev company to work so closely with their community. An indie studio at that. Basically just about everything that has been included in the TLD for the past 5 years has been at behest of the players. They add their own content too, sure, but at a very, very limited amounts, and always accompanied by a bunch of community requested content.

I have seen studios ignore its community. I have seen devs who took the idea of the community and did it their own way. I have seen studios who pretend to care for community while running their game just to cash it or meet their favorite celebrity YouTubers. Seen devs lie to their community, giving free passes on rulebreaking to VIPs and banning people who protested against this. Seen it all.

None of it is true for Hinterland. I have yet to see a studio this dedicated to its community, and working so closely, even adding things they might have not implemented othervise simply because the community wants it. So they are unique, in my opinion at the very least.

Agreed, I have no fear that Hinterland will do what Bethesda did with the Power Armor Edition of Fallout 76, I was about to pull the trigger on one, but the availability was spotty at the time. Today you couldn't give it away with the controversy surrounding it. 

Archived