Dev Diary - November 2018

Admin

Good news, even when Episode 3 will be delayed, but there are good reasons for that. I like that Hinterland was able to help some former Telltale members by employing them :)

And i'm exited: new Challenges! I didn't pay too much attention on the Challenges (only on Nomad and Whiteout), because the other ones were too "stressfull" (:D) for me until now, i'm glad to hear about new ones. I'm exited what they will be :)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know there's more additions to the team! That will make development a hell of a lot easier. While the redux of the episodes is what I was looking forward to the most, I'm still wondering why episode 3 will take another YEAR than intended? Surely it shouldn't take that long even with the new tools at your disposal. But alas, I can wait.

Well done Hinterland for assisting the employees and companies affected by closures - I'm looking forward to what the extra resources will allow you to create.

As others, I am a little disappointed about the chapter 3 delay, but know it'll arrive when it's ready.

One question about the survival mode though - there was no mention in the announcement ... will recipe-based cooking be arriving in December as was teased earlier this year?  It's one of the aspects I was looking forward to, especially if it brings with it the need to find and harvest herbs, etc.  This would add a new swathe of activity within the game.

Honestly I'm not disappointed in episode 3 being delayed. Survival mode is getting new goodies, and a new challenge mode to boot? This is great news! And I've logged two orders of magnitude more hours in survival mode over  story mode anyway so in terms of speed-to-value, this wins easily. 

I'd like to say two things:

First, I desperately look forward to hunting wolves et al with a spear whilst flying an airplane.  Good times!

Second, I hope you didn't hire Bob.  He's a bit of a drama queen and tended to annoy others by waddling furiously through the office, waving his hands above his head and babbling incessantly about how John Cena should've been cast in Game of Thrones.

Seriously though, this is all great news; I'm never disappointed in a wait as long as the finished product is quality and you guys have produced nothing but so far.  Thank you for the news.

Thanks for the update HL - always very eager to read them!

TBH, I'm okay with ep3 being delayed because I was looking forward to re-playing redux before moving on to 3.  I have 3 achievements left to do from Wintermute!

@admin, don't suppose you have a date in December when this will roll out?  I'd like to plan on taking a day off work to play when it comes out :)

14 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

@admin, don't suppose you have a date in December when this will roll out?  I'd like to plan on taking a day off work to play when it comes out :)

If we were giving out a date we'd have included it in the Dev Diary. At this point, December is as specific as we're going to be.

Don't worry, we'll let you know.

Терпение, друзья мои), Рим был построен не сразу, но выдержал века, Колизей это доказательство, надеюсь разработчики придумают что-то увлекательное).
Но лично я бы хотел играть в игру, что выжившие уже за 50, но что еще более сложно, если персонаж старше 60 лет, хотя я думаю, что есть люди в мире, которые уже на протяжении многих лет, но они сильнее, чем молодые парни;)

Thanks for the update! As many others, I can't wait for the results.
It's great that you've managed to hire some talent from Telltale and other studios. I love their work, amazing stuff they've done. It's tragic to see a company that arose from the ashes of Lucasarts has now collapsed again. Thanks for offering them a home.

That bear spear looks like something off a medieval battlefield! I guess that settles any speculation over whether it would be a thrusting or a throwing weapon...
One question: will we be able to open cans of soup with it?

Looking forward to getting back into Wintermute in December after a long break and sampling all the new elements. The screenshot of (presumably) Will's hangar before the ill-fated trip to Great Bear has me wondering if they've gone for Half-Life style in-character cutscenes for the Redux? (Which would be awesome)

14 minutes ago, Pillock said:

That bear spear looks like something off a medieval battlefield! I guess that settles any speculation over whether it would be a thrusting or a throwing weapon...

"Bear spear" is a clearly defined tool if they take the name literally:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_spear

The idea was that you let the bear charge you, but the spear (when braced against the ground) would prevent it from closing fully. The cross shaped guard below the blade is to prevent the bear from sinking down the shaft all the way

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Also known as boar spear, it works exactly the same against big angry wild boars.

The principle is the same, but a boar spear is smaller since boars aren't as big

Those spears also used leather on the shaft to increase the grip. So I could see wood, metal and deer leather as a crafting ingredient

Kinda disappointing to hear that EP 3 was delayed, but i'm very glad to hear about the survival mode goodies, and a new challenge. Especially happpy to hear about rabbit hats! :rabbit: I'm glad Hinterland listened to the community, unlike a lot of other game developers. It feels rude to say this, knowing nothing about game design, but keep up the great work! Cheers! :coffee:

Disappointed that episode 3 is delayed, yet very excited to replay episodes 1&2. To be honest, I probably won't even be done before episode 3....so I guess it doesn't matter that much :P. I'm stoked to explore the Redux version and will be milking it for all its worth, not to mention survival mode. Also enjoying the amazing steam sale right now! I got two more friends about ready to start their journey. Love the work guys, keep it up!

Congratulation new team members on joining Hinterland and congratulations Hinterland on the crew expansion! :D
Sounds really cool to work for such an creative game developing studio.

I started to feel really disappointed by the episode 3 delay but it fits with the same reasons of the redux. I was going to says that this too much delay BUT, the reasoning behind it makes perfect sense. Well done! :D

Also I see the soundtrack now is available on Bandcamp! :D:D
That's the best! I'm going to throw some money in your direction for some drinks by buying the soundtrack. I'm especially looking forward to the soundtracks from Sascha Dikiciyan, I LOVE those!

Archived