Dev Diary - November 2018

Admin

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pillock said:

But it does look like it could be a playable level, as opposed to a backdrop for a cutscene. Which leads me towards thinking that maybe the cutscenes in the redux are going to be more  interactive  - maybe we'll be able to move and look around from a first person perspective while the NPC speaks to us? Like in Half Life. Maybe we'll be able to 'play' in the hangar level around the cinematic sequence? 

There was the mention of the new camera angles, with the NPC look following you  as you move around in a dialogue scene. (Shown in the February 2018 Dev Diary.) The video clips were WIP, but I wonder if they were able to make this work, and even make it better than those clips show. Being able to move through scenes the dialogue and perhaps interact with objects, or the NPC while having a conversation would be great. Interactive cutscenes would be even better, but I am not sure how that would work? Perhaps it hints at new playable scenes or locations, to give a bit more story and lore. 

We'll see, eh? The new HUD looks really good, and the new subtitles, with backgrounds should really help folks who choose or need to use them. 

Just a whole lotta changes to look forward to, and maybe wonder and worry about, just a tad. Worry, like... how many times will i die while staring in awe at xxx while Fluffy's nephew tries to eat my face off? Lol! I am sure it will happen a few times, while I get used to the new stuff. But, I am excited for it, and don;t mind dying a few times while discovering new things in the game. :)

On 11/23/2018 at 7:22 AM, ThePancakeLady said:

Honestly, I get that you find it annoying. I think anyone who reads this thread gets that. Look how annoying your repeated posts are, honestly. I do find the fact that you expect everyone to feel the same way you do and throw tantrums like you are, a wee bit annoying.

Ironic, considering how aggressive you are when disagreeing with other members of this community and on the Steam forums 9_9

I am happy with the spoilers shown on Raph's Twitter feed of the new UI and what seems to be new material for survival mode in this dev diary. However, the development of Story Mode has simply been a disaster since the Kickstarter was finished: simply waiting, and saying that "I am being patient because I know the game will be great" is just wishful confidence in a product that had tripped its customers every step of the way. And yet it has nothing to do with how "honest" they may have been: they have been taking a massive amount of time developing story mode and after months of waiting, they say that they want to add "something new" and again we wait 1 more year. It's frankly become a joke in and of itself.

I bought this game back in 2016, when I was midway through highschool. By the time this game is finished, I would have finished my CEGEP, gotten a bachelors degree from University, and had a couple of years on my first job. The amount of delay taking to finish Story Mode is simply nonsense 

13 hours ago, Le Petit Prince said:

If it goes like this and nobody complains we will see the end of the story in 6 years. 

OK, since they have threatened to lock the thread now, this is my last comment on this. I get your passion. No one doubts you love Hinterland and this game. No one. But to extrapolate from them going back and re-doing all the work for episodes 1 and 2 that it means episodes 3-5 will take just as long is being hyperbolic. I'd bet good money that's not going to happen. They've already said Sandbox is basically done and now Story Mode is the focus. It won't take six years. If it does, I'll eat my bear-skinned coat... If I ever get to make one... :)

Okay... I am  also interested in what folks think the Bear Spear will be like? 

(Yes... trying to stop the flow of the circling topic already, to prevent the thread from being locked... work with me here folks...)

Do you think the Spear will be massive, and only used as a "traditional" Bear spear would be? Planted in the ground, for a rushing animal to impale itself on? Will it be too heavy to be thrown and used as a ranged weapon? Will it be smaller, still sturdy enough to be planted, but also thrown or used to stabby stabby a bear or moose or wolf? Or deer or poor Bunny FooFoo? Will it also act as a tool, like the hatchet, and allow us to open ice holes with it? What will the recipe be? Will we be able to pick up branches to be able to make it? Meaning a new mechanic to allow branches to be carried, instead of only broken down on spot? (I can't see making it from sticks, that seems a bit far-fetched, and making it from chunks of fir or cedar seems implausible too. Making the shaft, r shafts from a split limb... perhaps? Long process, new mechanic needed to allow harvesting rough shafts instead of chunks...). 

Curious what others think it will be like, or what they hope it will be like. The more I think about it, I see that adding the spear may have been much more complex in the sense of coding it and working with what Unity and the game itself allow, than I, and possibly others, may have thought.

I am personally hoping for a large, but not massive spear, that can be planted and used to impale, but can also be used to stab or slash, but not thrown, or only thrown very short distances, with a great chance of not causing serious injury (bounces off or missed quite often) if thrown. I think picking up and carrying branches and using a branch to make the shaft makes more sense.I am really interested to see how they pulled this off, and how it will go over with a wide variety of players. 

Locking thread. 

At this point, if you want to break out discussion of aspects of the Dev Diary into their own threads feel free to do that. However, we've been through the discussion the Episode 3 delay extensively at this point. As noted everyone has made excellent points both for and against and registered their approval/disapproval. We continue not to get any new points being made on the topic and so it's done being discussed for now.

• Admin locked this topic
  • Admin unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Archived