Kermit the Timberwolf Hermit

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 53 - Detours II

I sleep in, and finally get up at around 8, sporting 90% condition. First stop is the dam where I remember to have left a gut that should be cured by now. Then I contemplate. If I want to visit the logging camp it's now or never. I think to remember a possible spawn for both birches and maples nearby. Especially maples would be great. I've got 8 birch saplings, but still no candidate for a bow. Throwing some my strategizing overboard yet again I decide to make the trip

I reach the logging camp with 77% and without contest, but fail to find any saplings. None of the trailers yields anything except a bit of firewood, which is welcome, but certainly not worth the trip. I sleep an hour to warm up. Waking up I have either the chance to make my way back or double down for clear cut. Weather's remain favorable, and I need that maple. So double down it is. I am not disappointed.

screen_f4db0701-2d6a-4103-8f54-438c66a58794.thumb.png.2e70a5a175385004c2fbc6545961a0bc.png

However now the dice turn against me and I have to make a huge detour around clear cut as Harvey's cousin is patrolling the place. I give the area a wide birth, but lose a lot of condition doing so. Also I find no further saplings. I make my way up to the broken lookout. Up there I find nothing of value. Being down to 59% condition I see little choice than to make a fire right here unless I want to lose more of it. Considering this spot safe I chance an hour of sleep. I awake.

screen_96a83f8b-284d-4522-9286-511937406ca4.thumb.png.7aa88550408efc219319a04dd40c9a1b.png

From up here the Cabin north of Unnamed Pond is actually the closest shelter. Now that I am here already I can make the trip now and save on it later. The plan changes to Unnamed Pond Cabin to Unnamed Pond to Trapper's. Harsh winds brush up. I smell blizzard. I make haste. I goat down a little bit off, my torch dies, and I sprain wrists left, right and center messing up a step. Winds become unbearably hard to fight, but I see the cabin. I'm in the clear. At the outhouse I find the real price of this gruesome trip.

screen_97651d4f-61e7-4a22-b9fa-b939bc551550.thumb.png.d8a71f9fd69e85974d0a1a4636f393fe.png

Inside I find nothing to write home about. I tear down some cloth to warm up and take a hobblywobbly look outside for the maple spawn I remember can be here, but I am disappointed. I turn back in, knowing I'm grounded for the day. 

I'm not very satisfied with today's trip. It was good to check for the saplings, and that I found the maple that I would have missed otherwise kinda-sorta justifies the journey, but it cost me dearly yet again. I have yet a few other spawns to look at. I would like to have at least two bows going into HRV, and 20 arrows if I can afford it. I've got birches for 24 arrows, and also a good supply of scrap metal so that one is met. The two bows however are still 50% away, and more would never be bad. 

Finding the pry bar might warrant yet another trip to the dam. I've left around 10 to 12 lockers there, plus the one in the trailer. I use the remaining light to fix my underwear and ear wraps with the cloth from the cabin. I also tear up the sports vest that is rotting away on the bed. Finally I take the hammer to some furniture. It's firewood I can store at trappers if nothing else. I eat cattails for dinner and sleep 9 hours. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 54 - A trap to the Tripper's Homestead

I sleep in for a total of 11 hours of sleep, 85% condition, still in the green - but it cost me a herbal tea yesterday to maintain it that well. 7 am it's -41°C FL in heavy winds outside, so an early trip to Trappers is not an option. I ram the hammer into yet another shelf. When I'm done a blizzard is raging outside. I am thirsty and my water reserves are void, so I eat my sardines I kept since Skeeter's Ridge and sleep another hour. When I wake up winds are still brutal, but I think I can make it. -33 °C. It's not gonna be nice.

screen_5de0d48c-0f7f-4d81-a4ac-90d6cc184b5d.thumb.png.0b8a4799ce45433f93f67b323b76ee7e.png

When I already had planned to skip looting the pond because of the weather I suddenly have another very good reason to keep going.

screen_9ad096e6-3faa-4bb5-9cc3-fd1d892c1169.thumb.png.b692c3a8f4002023fcbb965d722bab31.png

Despite the harsh weather I take the time to saw down a singular birch sapling - and only then see a maple not far from it. We're making serious progress. Cold reishi tea keeps me from being entirely parched as I push on. Then I see so much joy at once.

screen_43f80517-1005-4894-b505-a95738114247.thumb.png.fd79dd979fb0c0af906a4c6946dbe4d7.png

The saving cabin plus 5 more birch saplings. I leave them be for now as they are one of the few things that don't run away and get inside. I find the mag lens, which remedies my blunder from the farmhouse where I simply forgot it in the basement, another book about shooting rifles, 19% dog poison, 92% crackers, a sewing kit, 9% pinnacle poison, and 33% jeans plus the elusive mackinaw at 63% in the safe. Good times! I drink another cold reishi and sleep an hour, hoping for the weather to stop acting out. When I wake up it calmed down a bit. I hammer down the gun rack as its presence simply annoys me.

I go out in more than passable weather and start my (Kermit's) first maglens fire at the deer carcass. So that's what those books are for ! :D

screen_50686a6a-49a1-4636-a890-1bdcff7b60ff.thumb.png.405a6037468abb0f475b7879f48d9ed8.png

I make some water and harvest and cook the venison, but I am surprised by a blizzard that kills my fire, so I only get the hide and one of the two guts. Not happy.  Not tired whatsoever I take the hammer to the washing table. Already engulfed by darkness I get out and get the saplings with the help of my underutilized lantern. Nothing else to do I eat a pound of venison and try to sleep as much as I can.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 55 - The night is cold and full of terrors

I wake up at 4 am, 71%. Nothing to do I prepare some rose hips and stare into the dark for 2 hours.

Only now I realize that "just existing" takes 125, not 150 calories. Why was I under the impression it was 150? So fishing actually is a zero sum game. Meh. Me no smartz.

Anyways. I sleep some more, and then repair my newly acquired mackinaw and retire the parka. I do a whole lot of nothing and finally take a peek outside at 11 am. 

screen_2f9c1a1d-2a16-4e94-af14-d4ee56dc3f6b.thumb.png.670e752f62d57f5c554f9160025c5e33.png

-28 °C FL let me reconsider aspirations to get going just yet. Hoping that the weather would improve I get disappointed yet again - the opposite is the case with a harsh winds just a notch below blizzard. Not wanting to waste the entire day I decide to raid the Milton transition cave for coal. I find 7 lumps and once I get back weather has finally tuned down to pretty damn passable -12°C FL. I get going - finally. But not even halfway to Deadfall disaster strikes twice at the same time. Out of the blue the weather turns blizzard, and if that wasn't enough I get barked at. The only way for me is back. I hear the wolf already charging when I enter the cabin. No damage - lucky!

Out of water and going thirsty all I can do is make fire and cook water, and meanwhile hammer down more furniture. The winds down calm down until 6 pm. Against better judgment I try the northern route towards Deadfall. I'm simply tired of wasting every other day.

screen_ddf4a469-4bf0-4b2d-b082-4cbcad45749c.thumb.png.8c217aa0f9bf132be98c126a07d4eaf6.png

I make headway, but not having come far I need to divert yet again. That wolf (I think it is the same) is getting on my nerves. I turn right, pass what I think is a bear cave and head towards the tunnel. I make another birch sapling on the way, but it's getting darker fast and upon reaching the tunnel my torch dies and a blizzard batters my face.

I stick to the hills but every shade makes my anxious, and I am freezing hard. The only good thing, I think, is that wolves are as blind in this mess as I am. I keep my flare gun ready and almost shoot a tree trunk because I though I heard it growl. As I thought it couldn't get darker it gets darker yet and I almost overshoot for the camp office barely missing a power line pole, which I finally follow to arrive at the office.

I keep cursing myself to try to make this break in already unfavorable weather conditions, and can't really blame RNG or Interloper Karma for arriving at only 40% condition. Impatience brought this on me, I brought this on myself. Dang it Kermit! Apparently one has to be reminded of the grim dangers of this world once in a while and every so often. Lucky I made it disregarding caution and better judgement I eat and drink, and fall asleep dreaming of glowing eyes and fangs plunging into my throat in the deepest of nights.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 56 - Plunging into the Deep ... again!

I wake up at 67%. Cabin fever risk makes yet another return. Making it to the dam today would be not the best of ideas, and waiting till noon would be detrimental. 48% already. I pick up all the firewood I have at the office, take the second hammer that has been waiting for this occasion, pull out my lantern and head into the dark yet again. Now, all of a sudden, my nightly travel seems all the less of a bad idea.

screen_e1040dbe-5268-4e69-94ee-fc7f3b702799.thumb.png.ffcd0f97466f843f94b2eb27f6dd53eb.png

The morning is cold but clear, and the lake seems free of wolves as well. Approaching the fishing hut I see wolves at the second one. I don't dare lighting a torch just yet. Arriving at the hut I'm already freezing hard. No time to lose - another book goes. Now the plethora of water I have stored in the hut comes in handy - because I left most at Trapper's. I eat a cattail to stave off starvation and get to work on the ice hole. 

The rest of the day is uneventful. I catch 4 small fish until midnight and a boatload of firewood and a broken fishing tackle later and eating all of the fish on the spot I turn home to sleep 9 hours. At least I brought some water this time.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 57 - Foolish Endeavors

I wake up at 11 am, 87%. My plan for the day is taking it to the dam one last time.

A quick peek out of the door reveals that while it is a rather clear day, it's way too windy and cold to make headway anywhere. So, instead of getting almost killed in the weather again, I do the sensible thing and read two hours. Since I'm not sure I will ever have the opportunity to fish again I skip The Frozen Angler. Field Dressing Your Kill, Vol. I it is. Tearing apart mammals is something I will have a lot of opportunity. Hopefully.

Meanwhile the storm matures into a blizzard, and what started with 2 hours become seven. Once it finally stops it's almost 7. I still get going. The route should be safe, and I have a lot to do at the dam.

screen_3d8b717c-b6c7-4968-863d-4414810a5605.thumb.png.d98f9094b7852f008ef7b3140bd02d57.png

Coming up on the dam I find yet 5 more cattails I missed before. Well at least in terms of food the trip already paid for itself. Then ... barks. I make a fire - the wolf takes off in sheer panic. But I cannot keep the flame alive in the winds that stir up. So much for paying for itself. Grumpy I get into the trailer. The locked locker yields nothing. I get out and get into the dam yard and smash the door behind me before the wolf has a chance to make his move.

Inside the dam I light a torch and get to work. I'm already leaving the upper dam and with nothing worth reporting that it dawns on me that I might have embarked on a futile and equally foolish endeavor. In the end all I have to show for are some 24% crackers and a wool scarf. The most valuable loot I make is a whetstone in a corner and some quality tools under a shelf, both which I had missed before. You might ask what I expected, and I cannot really answer that. Maybe the off chance for some amazing loot like ear wraps. But from a risk/cost/reward standpoint of view ... not a good call. That the trip was worthwhile still due to loot I missed .... it's ironic.

I eat my crackers and sleep.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 58 - Tales Of A Lonely Traveler, Part II

I wake up at 7 am, first light. Nothing to do I decide to at least collect on some scrap metal. I make some decent loot, and it's already past 1 am when I leave.

Thick green fog puts his embrace around me. -14°C are excellent travelling temperatures, especially this early in the day. I get barked at yet again, but making a beeline over the bridge and into the hills I manage to walk the wolf off. When I arrive back at the office it's 4 pm and I'm at 79% condition. Still enough time and juice to make the day worthwhile. 1 spend an hour putting to repair attempts into my hacksaw - one win, one loss - and pack up stuff. It's going to be my fire haul to trappers. 45 kilogram of stuff, and I take off.

screen_6a59aef5-7432-481c-91ba-b74ea42181a8.thumb.png.f0cbc39af0a08b86708661a2a601181e.png

Making it through the hill I evade one of the wolves on the rails, the other however sits at a rather peculiar place that makes me crouch and wait for him to walk by. Losing valuable time doing so I start to freeze yet again. But I am almost at the tunnel. None of the containers there yields anything. It's a slow and uneventful journey from there. I arrive at Trapper's in warm, light grandma fog.

screen_61817dfe-4960-47a7-b0a4-0abfa66ee899.thumb.png.83b475ae792a05136d74711c6b6e64b7.png

I read an hour, then I go place my total 3 snares outside. But that really is it for the day. I eat the cooked venison that's still sitting on my porch, add some cattails and sleep 9 hours.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 59 - Moving Out

Another day starting in darkness, and with 85%. I wait and prepare tea until it's six and somehow no longer too dark to read. I finish Field Dressing Your Kill, Vol. I yet again and take some good new pointers. Now that I can actually see I unburden myself and  organize my riches as this home will serve as my base of operations until I finished my venture to Spence's. Even before 11 am I am on the road despite cold and windy weathers.

I make haste quick, but get spotted by a wolf near the tunnel. Dodging through to Forlorn Muskeg is my only option. Little surprise: I am freezing my butt off. I go back through the tunnel and try to circumvent my canine friend through the hills, but I am spotted yet again.

screen_c53dac3d-c0c4-49fb-8b5f-a732d1c118f4.thumb.png.e661283eb4fcc74a779f4cb186e0cd92.png

He is persistent and comes dangerously close when I can't take a slope I thought I could take - but I lose him eventually. Down to 65% but otherwise unscathed I reach the Camp Office. Maybe for the last time.

The items I leave behind are inconsequential. A pot, my issue of The Frozen Angler, two issues of The Frontier Shooting guide, some sticks and torches, a few cans, four liters of water. I warm up tearing up the spare lantern I've got and get moving again. This time I plan to make it through Deadfall and over the hills. Maybe I've got more luck there. Totaling 47 kilos I won't be running anywhere. Clear weathers and -16°C FL give me no reason to stave off my trip. I make my farewells and leave.

screen_a07c51b0-4930-4f62-a1dd-a910c589e894.thumb.png.cfb3f165085fd7adc581ddc3ab288752.png

Reaching Deadfall the area seems quiet. I find a pot but leave it here. I'm not scarce on scrap metal. I climb the hill. It's slow and takes a lot of patience and condition, but at least now I have all the high ground I can wish for. Looks like I'm good to go. A quick detour to Max yields nothing but a feather. I arrive at Trapper's at just 40% condition, but in one piece, uncontested and happy I'm done with moving for now. Unpacking and looking at the sheer amounts of riches I acquired, I find the sight almost obscene, compared to what I had to scrape by on Timberwolf Mountain.

screen_17d63b07-1964-440d-a87f-e6d0268ede08_hi.thumb.png.40a20365c5acdda8013a34ab1f2654a3.png

I call it a day, read an hour, build two more snares and place them with the others. All that's left now is to eat and sleep.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 60 - Staring Contest

I wake up at 5 am, 76% condition. A quick peek at the snares reveals a whole lot of nothing. I sleep another hour and read a page in Stay On Target until I can see again.

My food reserves are far from critical, but deserve improvement. On the other hand I want to avoid losing condition today. Tomorrow is slated to be the first day of the trip to Spence's. Deciding it would be best to make an afternoon trip to the Pond, collect on cattails and the deer carcass and return I keep eating cattails and reading. However a blizzard setting in at 11 am threatens to foil my plans.

It's already 4 pm when it ends. By that time I have finished the first book and already started the second. At this rate I'll be hitting flies in the eyes in no time - or so I hope. I maglens a fire outside, carry it in, warm up some tea and get going. I reach the pond and make a fire and get to work on the carcass, taking 0.8 kg of meat. Then I collect a few cattails on the lake, come back, harvest the hide and almost start harvesting the guts when I look up. I make a huge step back.

screen_16022d71-9b5e-47bc-92de-8ea03b653fd7.thumb.png.3b81538c8121f9eaa954e77dd58212dc.png

I watch the bear run around on the campsite, and fireproof and all (:D @BareSkin) even walks right though the fire twice. When he eventually leaves I carefully return and warm up again, keeping a sharp eye out. Almost ready to start harvesting the guts the bear turns around yet again and I do the sensible thing and leave after I pull some torches while the bear stares me down. On the way out I have one of my rare misses with a rabbit, and freezing and out of stones he lives. I return home at 77% condition, make a fire with the same flame that was lit by the mag lens and set some water to boil.

screen_3a6b7aa9-2895-496d-a87d-8dc88549f8a3.thumb.png.16ebbc8a46a146cde99f76edbf1d0c39.png

After finally reaching Fire Starting IV and putting on enough fire to boil 4 liters of water I eat my venison and go to sleep.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 61 - A Song Of Ice And Fire. Mostly Ice.

Of all the dreads that Great Bear holds for me, the Forlorn Muskeg is the worst of them. Many (of my other games) have found their end here in a maze of thin ice and hordes of wolves. I remember the words of my Brother Timbergrim: "Rawfl, why would I go there. Freezing deathtrap!", he always said. Will he be right once again?

I wake up shortly before 6 am. 100%. Little do I know that I will need it all. My trip has to be meticulously planned, no oversights. No margin for error. I see what the snares have yielded. Nothing again. I pack them and store them inside. I won't be back for a few days. Damn, I would have loved me some rabbit to start my journey. I craft some tea while I wait for light inside the cabin. Weather outside doesn't favor me. Cold harsh winds with -43°C FL don't invite me to try and wrestle with the cold. I sleep two hours.

Randomly I notice that my Windbreaker has miraculously disappeared. It's not the worst loss ever, but certainly not cool. Not cool at all. I break down the shelf it was resting on, leave and enter, but it is lost forever. Really guys, please fix such things :(

Outside the weather has cleared up. I maglens a fire and carry it inside. I precook a plethora of tea, warm up some tomato soup, eat it and go. It's 2 am already, and I need to cover a lot of ground.

screen_481d8c0a-ff08-4720-9f24-cb3d0e012ba7.thumb.png.6b3beb13df2bc6536a8671eb1f6ebdb5.png

Winds are not on my side at first and make my advance painfully slow. But soon winds subside, and I'm faced with probably the best possible travel weather I could have hoped for: still winds, clear skies, -7°C FL with torch in hand. Near the tunnel I see the wolf again. I kill the torch and ready a stone. 

screen_07aa37be-5b0b-4bb1-b2de-e3b527bb10d8.thumb.png.af003e5a06403499e9926f480b2139bc.png

The wolf turns around on his own. I wait a few more moments, then head for the tunnel. He never sees me. 

Arriving at the Muskeg my first way point has to be the Poacher's Camp. I keep right from the tracks to give the wolf in the woods a wide birth, and even pick some cattails - and another birch sapling. I see the bear roaming the ice plains north (to the side of Milton) of the Camp. At least he won't be crossing my paths this time.

At the camp I find a flare and some coal. Also a sport vest, but I don't even look at it. I maglens a fire to warm up. As soon as I can I dump a lump of coal into it. Now the warming goes much faster. And already past 5 pm time is of the essence. I spend a short while in my bedroll, but then get going again, no more time to lose. To the High Blind.

screen_a9424318-4639-41d6-be89-187abc2e728e.thumb.png.e04f6be4792329faf9dbe032446b050c.png

Stiff winds brush up. My torch survives for now, but yet again I'm crossing the winds. Everywhere I turn, the wind turns with me, just as if it wants me not to reach Spence's in time. It's getting dangerously late, and I'm not covering enough ground. I reach the High Blind at 7 pm - at least a full hour late - and down to 68%. MY torch dies, and I am freezing. Another book about carcass harvesting and some accellerant are a sorry compensation. I actually consider to stay the night, but decide against it since I don't think I will be able to maintain the fire. I consider turning back, really hard actually, but decide against it, also. I will live to regret it.

The wind is killing me. I cross it, like a sailor to make any ground, while night falls around me. Then somehow a wolf spots me, and I have to turn much more east than I wanted to before he lets go. Almost losing my bearing I fight weak ice at spots I want to but cannot cross. I'm way past the point of no return and already I feel like the Muskeg should be my end yet again. Everything since leaving the poachers camp has gone wrong. When I finally find a spot where I can make a break I hear paws.

screen_6e2a8b1c-1ed8-4de2-adca-5726f2f77fe9.thumb.png.7cb1b1690d0c28bf847838622e2850af.png

Again I lose valuable time crossing the winds to gain ground. I escape weak Ice by a hairline. I lose the bear, and I already see Spence's when my body finally succumbs to hypothermia. I make it to the Farmstead, and light a fire, and panicking I drop as much firewood as I can into the fire. I stave off further degradation at 14% condition. Cursing winds, the Muskeg and myself I eat and drink and body that wreck I call body to sleep.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 62 - Groundhog Day

I awake at 41% condition, and with 15 more hours of hypothermia in me. For the first time I take stock of my actual situation, but it's not good, that much I can say already.

screen_d9ccb89e-00b6-4800-8038-578a1a8ffa29.thumb.png.67dcbfadeb9f4e5e313e02e96d9303b4.png

The furnace has still 6 hours left in it, however my firewood reserves are down to 7 reclaimed wood and 16 sticks, plus 9 coal. I check the place out. 5 more coal, a hacksaw, a simple parka, a book about Fire Starting, a lump of cedar, matches, 2 reclaimed wood (at lots more of it in crates and planks), a very welcome chocolate bar (I ate mine yesterday), a pry bar, an arrow head and some leather. The amount of firewood I have should get me through this and the better part of the next day. But any longer stays are out of the question. I warm up some herbal tea. I'll need it.

The biggest "upside" of hypothermia is that you can sleep a metric snow ton of time. I have 3 tomato soup, crackers, jerk beefy and 29 cattails. I should be able to make it, but I will use up way more of it than I had anticipated. Then again .... at least I get to profit from my good planning and bringing all this food. Despite my predicament I begin warming up the furnace. I will get my work done here. Then I eat and get some more sleep. I'm tired already. 

I wake at 6 pm and have regained condition to now 74%. I put on some water and get started on the first arrow head.

screen_0406cd0c-0e45-4f0e-89af-4e7fe6198371.thumb.png.481e528d76683944d594021cded3dc0e.png

An hour later I am already so tired again that more sleep is heavily warranted. I eat crackers and cat stalk and pass out for another 9 hours.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 63 - The Embers Of Creation

5 am, I am fully rested, and back to 100%. Hypothermia isn't so bad after all. You just lose a day. And firewood. And food. And time. Actually it's bad. But I take it over being hugged by a bear or eaten by a wolf any day of the week.

I get to work on my hatchet first. I might need to use it earlier than I expected to keep my fires running. Finally, on Day 63, I have my first hatchet. I'm amazed. The day is exceptionally clear and I plan to make a very short trip to the nearby barn. Maybe I'm lucky and find some firewood? Nah just kidding. Nothing there.

I make an arrowhead to warm up. Then I make a quick trip to the ruined huts close by. 5 more coal and 1.2 kg of venison relief both food and firewood situation. A wolf finds the meat very interesting as well, but I make it to Spence's in time. 

screen_a209be27-e835-4979-8db7-55760794549c.thumb.png.6fc705120087459d5aa327dee27f9b60.png

After getting my knife done I work on some more arrow heads. I break the crate that holds accellerants just to get some more firewood. 10 arrow heads done in total, plus the knife and the hatchet, I eat my calories and get to sleep with the fires raging below me.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 64 - The Embers Of Creation II

Just past 6 am, perfect condition. The fire: still going hot and strong. I lose no time and get to work. Maybe I can make my break today? I'm doubtful, but let's see.

I actually overshoot my goal and end up with 27 arrow heads, but the weather never recovers until 6pm and night already beckons. I break the crate in front of the safe - jeans and down vest. Underwhelming. I also break the crate with dog food, and actually chance both cans. I have enough firewood for the day. Nothing happens. Another day of food saved.

screen_0fdafc91-b2d4-4c4b-9a6b-219d70811c3f.thumb.png.bd22e92a84c2ca2649a48e9b5e764c77.png

The biggest problem I have is the wolf outside that just won't go. No idea how I will solve this tomorrow. In any case I store the meat in a box. Maybe he'll lose interest then. Finally I spend my last scrap metal for my 28th and 29th arrow head. If I ever need more I'll be an old and happy Kermit.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 65 - Calm Waters, Safe Havens 

5:30 am, still perfect condition, the weather is just as bad as it was 9 hours ago. Will this ever stop? Today it has to, or I'll be seriously screwed. I eat the remaining meat I have and spend some time reading while a blizzard rages "outside". My theoretical knowledge about archery is impeccable. I just never held a bow. How hard can it be?

screen_864b3684-cfc5-4185-bccf-2a6eda768041.thumb.png.2619a2be489639e6ec340df341bb219b.png

I actually finish the issue of Survive the Outdoors as well. It's noon when the weather clears: light snow, now winds, mediocre temperatures. The wolf is nowhere to be seen. I don't hesitate. The time ... is now. I leave behind my pry bar and keep the new one, and also leave the hacksaw I found, plus the useless jeans and down yest. I head to the old shack I missed evading the wolf when I arrived here. I can also see the bear in safe distance. Please, just let me leave, Muskeg.

I find 1.36l of lamp fuel, hesitate ... but then take it with me. I see myself crawling through caves in HRV and the thought of a well fueled lamp is a nice one. 43 kg. Not good, but still bearable. I reach the High Blind without contest, picking cattails on the way, and still well above freezing. The hard part is done. I feel relieved. While I need to detour slightly to avoid two wolves that are dangerously close to my route I reach the Camp in one piece - and with 30 more cattails than I left Spence's with. The Muskeg really is one big cattail farm. Behind the Camp I find some dog food but leave it. Food Poisoning now and here would be my death, and I'm overloaded already.

screen_3a6ee228-b0f7-4494-b037-48eae61462b1.thumb.png.981a1f0ecbcc4959c29d48d2a62541d3.png

Warming up I'm not greedy. I found so much food I deserve some quality soup to get me warm. I dump another lump of coal into the fire as soon as I can and warm up in my bedroll. I pull high quality 50% torches and go. I reach the tunnel safe and sound. Joy floods my body as I leave this godforsaken hell hole which I don't plan to return to - except Marsh Ridge, maybe. I don't look back.

The journey home is uneventful and I arrive at Trapper's at 68%, and with the same flame I ignited day ago in such distress. It will die today, but not before it yielded me some water. I place my snares outside, and hope that they will help sustain me through the next two days which I will spend mostly crafting and making some hard choices about what to keep and what not.

screen_1633d87a-90ec-42a4-8ff2-6da208db0377.thumb.png.d39cfce0cc08b9d5eafc5fbbf7cf1529.png

Back in the cabin I gaze at a total of 15 birch saplings, including the one I found in The Muskeg. Only now I realize, that I didn't keep guts for my bow. And making it without bows through Milton with all this stuff? Unrealistic. Splendid. Well. Looks like we'll be here a bit longer than I planned. Maybe I can do part of the haul anyways. And if it's just to the cave below Milton. Inspired by this immense mismanagement I go out and kill two rabbits the old fashioned way. Who knows, Kermit 7 might never get to snare a single rabbit.

Back at home I harvest both immediately, put the guts to dry, cook the meat and eat most of it to sleep 9 hours.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 66 - No Kicks On Day 66

7 am, perfect condition. Let's check the snares, not that I expect anything.

screen_f7f1e614-9a3d-4807-8ab9-3222e8f71097.thumb.png.cef3ac38b2471fbd78f165e191574ab9.png

Look at that! Two sweet little bunnies. But I also lose a snare. Still: I've caught my first rabbits with a snare! Inside I harvest the guts and hang them to dry, while the meat goes on the porch for now. 

After that I get to work on my first arrow shafts. At 2 pm I take a look outside and deem the weather well enough to pack up my first batch and make my way towards the Milton Cave. It always stuns me that this cave is so well lit you don't even need a light source to navigate it at day. Outside I fight heavy winds, but I push on. Upon reaching the valley I goat down - which is one of the harder goats in the game, but I am well versed in it by now. Been here, done that. 

I get into the cave, drop cloth, coal, scraps, my pry bar, hacksaw, hatchet and even 40 of my by now over 60 cattails and make the climb back up. Narrowly, but without issues. Back through the cave with night already falling. I light a torch and make it to the other side.

screen_a4972d46-4577-43af-b1b0-1a66ba1b188b.thumb.png.dfc26fd16c61a51240865b1924551ba3.png

I collect another rabbit, plus the meat on the porch, get inside and make a fire. I harvest and cook the rabbit and the meat from this morning, eat and sleep nine hours.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 67 - Errand Boy

7 am, 100%, rabbits: 0, but a ruined snare. I pack up, but cold weathers let me sleep two more hours. Then I head out in light green fog, traverse the cave, and exit in a deep green soup. I make the goat regardless.

screen_74eeea82-1f7c-4375-b597-bfa1b99608b3.thumb.png.77dbea7abca35fe2229c14831716fccf.png

In the cave I unload yet again, warm up fixing my two toques (2 out 3 tries) and head back to the rope. I've got everything I don't need to craft my basic weaponry in the cave now. Only one more trip left after I get the crafting done - and then hauling all of this stuff up the rope. The though of it fills me with dread already.

Back home yet another rabbit greets me. Good times. While I've got still light I get to work on more arrow shafts. I finish 15 more. When light gives out I harvest the rabbit, sharpen my knife, eat and sleep. A boring day, with many more ahead.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 68 - Pointy Things

Up shortly after 6. 100%. Still dark, but apparently not to dark to make some arrow shafts. With a blizzard raging outside there isn't much else to do, anyways. I finish all of them until before 11 am - a total of 45. I take a peek outside to see if more rabbits have off(er)ed themselves. I can't believe what I see.

screen_fdc8d97b-fb00-4548-9365-1b7b70d8eafb.thumb.png.c7d61adf72b653ec2bf1f2fa58f4bff3.png

Apparently the local rabbit death cult has decided to chime in and help me through these days. They didn't even break a snare. How nice! On the other side of the hut I see another very peculiar thing.

screen_3bd3ca4b-7443-44ef-aa2c-d9ce83168559.thumb.png.19d0e1d32ae61b39a578c58d40a7bafb.png

Having no bow ready yet I'm not sure I can use this opportunity. It'll be two and a half more days. Inside I harvest the rabbits, drop the meat outside and hang the guts to dry. After that I begin working on the first arrows. My quality tools make work a breeze. I finish 8 until the light dies on me. Eat and sleep. It's been a quiet day.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 69 - More Pointy Things

I wake up shortly before 6 am. I sharpen my knife until I can get back to work on the arrows. I expect cabin fever to strike any second now. When I run out of feathers I've got 7 more arrows ready. That's as much as I'll get for now - they should be more than enough for a long time. But I still have over a day left on the guts.

screen_0ee76826-b54a-42c6-9099-7a145d8b3e8f.thumb.png.1f719b4ab6280765cfb86450f495a3c8.png

Outside the moose is still waiting for me to get armed. Two more rabbits wait for me at the run, again no breaks. I could sustain myself here forever if it wasn't for cabin fever. I take the rabbits in, but then take out into the forest. I need firewood. Running around picking up sticks I remember my days on TWM. This seems so long ago. It's a hard love I feel for that time.

I harvest the rabbit and maglens a fire outside while there is still enough light. With almost 80 matches I wouldn't have to play so conservative on them, but habits die hard. And every match I save is a match I can brag for in retirement. I end up cooking over 6 kilograms of rabbit. Enough for 4 days. Eating some of it I read two hours then see the aurora is out.

screen_e7639b49-796a-4a5b-bec3-c6ddd62e7eec.thumb.png.15b780f697a0299602e2a234210b1bf9.png

Being hardly tired enough I wait skinning a few rabbits if maybe the cabin gets bright enough to read. It doesn't, so I get to sleep.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 70 - Lonely Day

I wake up at 10 in the middle of a blizzard. Outside I find a new rabbit, but also two dead snares. The moose is also gone. Nothing to do but to wait. Such a lonely day - and it's mine. I do all I can - tear up the rabbit and read.

screen_a9a907b3-4960-4c15-84d2-3f8c0734428a.thumb.png.eddd8cc7c548c7605935463fb09edf05.png

I know everything about archery now. I just don't have anything to actually do it with. But I will tomorrow. I wait on two 96% cured guts reading more about guts and how to get them. When it gets to dark to read I get out 4 dead rabbits from my garbage box and harvest their pelts as well. What else to do?

The most loneliest day of my life. It's a day I'm glad I survived.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 71 - Garbage Compactor

The walls are closing in, and cabin fever races at 55% when I wake up at 5 am. I get out, just trying to get a breath of cold air, and cold it is at -57°C. It's just mere moments until I have to turn back in. I wait about an hour - 61%. I will have to work quick if I want my bow done - and even then I will probably have to spend considerable time outside.  I craft in one-hour increments. 71%. 77%. 84%. 91%. The blizzard stops and I head out shortly before 11 am.

I break the scrub brush in front of the house and head over to the barn. I make a fire in the corner. I'm not sure if it's guaranteed safe, but it's the best bet I have right now. All my sticks go, and I get measly 2:30 hours. I warm up tea to stop freezing damage and dump my last lump of coal I have kept here as soon as I can. I spend an hour reading. Cabin fever doesn't increase, but also doesn't lower, all I'm doing for now is staving off the hopefully not inevitable. But I'll need firewood. I sprint over to the cabin, get inside shortly and collect the broken snares and the reclaimed wood I had planned on using for more. That short while alone yields me another % of cabin fever.

I would even just live through it, but with cabin fever you cannot time lapse inside. That also means I cannot finish my bow. I'm literally short 90 minutes of time to spend inside.

screen_2a59cf22-1d37-4939-8eac-ae821b21e0de.thumb.png.2bd0e74568c63c880c4025ced5b27ec9.png

I cook the remaining rabbit and read two more hours. Cabin fever doesn't budge a bit and I head into the forest. Right now I wish I would have kept my hatchet so I could have harvested a fir limb. In the forest .... I run into the wolf that is almost never there. Instead I head to Max's. I find a few sticks and break branches, feed them to the fire, warm up and head back out immediately. I return with 2 more broken branches and read an hour. Finally cabin fever moves - 87%.

I head back out to the cave and see what I can find there. Just one stick, so another scrub bush goes. Another hour of reading. 77%, but it's too dark to work inside now. I stay - for now, and keep at the book, and finish it in two more hours. I'm just shy of being a true Animal Destruction Master. I bank on the fire not being blown out prematurely and sleep in one hour increments. 

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 72 - Divine Intervention

Yesterday and today have no clear border. I slumber through the night, not very efficiently, but the fire survives. Shortly after 6 am cabin fever is down to 11%. I pull a torch and move inside - almost running into the moose. He's back. My last snare stands broken. I pick it up and enter the cabin and finish the bow.

When I'm done outside all I can see is green. As thick as it gets. I contemplate if I want to attempt killing the moose. I won't be able to take much of the meat, but the hide would be nigh invaluable. I plan to try it. Hard not to jump in a well when there's a bar of gold at the bottom. I sleep two hours, peek out to see no progress, and sleep some more.

Outside I see the moose, and ready to dodge back into the cabin I take aim forever, redraw my bow twice, and just as the moose sees me I release.

screen_32c4f906-be8c-4bbb-9616-539e2c2e94fa.thumb.png.90be5f86c2cbcb1b436139589c044601.png

RNGeezuz reaches down his hand and guides my arrow. The moose dies on the spot. Never having fired an arrow the first shot .... kills a moose in one hit. I laugh loud and hard and can hardly believe this. Kermit 7 indeed is blessed by the gods. I mean really: That's a perfect shot.

screen_ffd396d2-5c68-40c8-821f-0d9e81d3e686.thumb.png.6700f5f5462316fb7cb8d2f44ddf58d8.png

I take the hide, go inside to warm up and harvest my broken snares. I dump all the firewood I have left and get to work on the meat. I won't be able to take it all, but some. 39.7 kilograms. What a whopper. 

screen_bc2cd227-04bd-4c68-8891-066f4e7ec397.thumb.png.8513e7f602537523ff899c5d014149ea.png

I harvest this mountain of protein until midnight, taking 21 kilogram of high calorie yield meat, cooking over the half of it on the spot. Again: Vigilant Flame was so great for The Long Dark! At this point I know I won't be taking all of it. But just for the skills it's worth it. I eat like an emperor with his private All-You-Can-Eat-Buffet and sleep.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 73 - Exodus II

I wake up at 7, back to 100%, and thanks to my moose butchering extravaganza yesterday no residual cabin fever. Today is the day. It breaks my heart to leave the moose outside, but honestly: I'm already way past what I can carry. I pack up all my things, pick up the cooked moose and even some of the raw meat, stuff as much meat as I can into my mouth and get going just shy of 53 kg - and being officially the stinkiest person alive. The rationale for taking all this meat is rather simple minded: I will spend days hauling stuff up to the Park Office. Not having to worry about food while doing so is actually a good thing and might even save me a day or two. 

screen_7018fddc-dc84-4220-8b85-464fbeab61fc.thumb.png.62ee7b5bf352f3fb071c818125f31139.png

I leave Mystery Lake behind. Chances are I won't come back. 40 days after my exodus from Timberwolf Mountain I am saying goodbye to a familiar place yet again.

In several games I now played I have noticed the magnetism of this place. Just one more day doing this, getting that, waiting here, recovering there. Never have I managed to stick to my goals when it comes to making it swift through Mystery Lake. That being said: hardly ever have I overshot my stay this bad.

Through the transition cave and down into the valley. I almost expect the wolf to come and look for me - but he doesn't. I organize my stuff. The small and light things go into the backpack, but the cave still turns out to resemble a warehouse more than I care for.

screen_09983c64-fc11-43a1-b147-e46d252d5161.thumb.png.b88b20b47a489cac9fa478d3a103914b.png

I take a quick peek, and as I don't see the wolf (does he even exist here on Interloper? I'm not sure) I decide to sleep an hour and then make the first of 4 or even 5 trips up the rope. The Registration Office yields literally nothing. I unload what I can - about 13 kilograms - and make my way back. I tear down the two blue tool boxes I brought since it dawns on me that they are completely redundant now that I have two quality tools. After that it's sleepy time.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 74 - Errand Boy II

I wake up at 5 am, but wait two more hours so I can do something with the day. I pack things, but first make a fire to warm up. I don't want to mess around in Milton in sub 50% condition. I warm up making some tea and water, and then cook some of the raw moose I brought. There really is no reason to starve right now. I keep the fire burning and get going into deep green fog.

I make the trip up and down in no time. As long as bunnies are playing joyfully in my path I'm not worried about any wolves. But I'm losing more condition than I'd like to the cold. I get back to the cave, cook some coffee and sleep 4 hours. 

screen_725a33c1-4c50-4065-8725-3abe54ccd145.thumb.png.bd45d50399a5e1e625ff8964188f9db3.png

Waking up the day is clear and calm, almost unreal. Milton weather really is something else. I get going and make the trip without even getting cold. Remarkable. But eventually I see the wolf on the prowl. So .... he does exist. I get barked at just before entering the cave. With the fire still burning he suffers a panic attack and leaves. I decide that I will not make another ascend today, and instead get rid of the wolf. I pick up a piece of raw moose, but when I finally see the wolf, he has already baited himself.

screen_187d432e-022a-4477-a388-5ac6b005c5d5.thumb.png.af99cb19219d867a900e303aa45f9683.png

I take the hide and the bunny, but leave the rest. With the wolf gone I feel much safer. I cook some meat and water, but then go to sleep.

Guest jeffpeng

Kermit 7 / Day 75 - New Sheriff In Town

After a total of 11 hours I'm done sleeping at 8 am. I pick up things and go. It's going to be 5 runs, but that's okay. -45°C FL are no slouch, but I want to get this done. Now. I make it up, unload more than I usually would, and am light as a feather on my final descent: less than 12 kg. I can afford it. No wolf down there.

With the fire still 3 official hours life in it I sleep 4. Storing some more moose in my belly I actually manage to take all I brought with me. I make sure I left nothing behind, take my coffee, pull a torch, and go. I get up the rope saving even my coffee and make haste to get into the office. Stinky as I am I am afraid I might attract wolves all the way up here from Orca's.

screen_7caed6c0-83b4-4725-a317-34b7be11ca7a.thumb.png.526e9cfca50d09d118ae1fd25bbb81eb.png

I've got enough food to hold out a week in my very airy B'n'B easily. And if metrics and strategies from the TWM hut can be applied here as well - also enough firewood. Not that I plan to stay this long. Only the pot belly stove is a huge downer.

4 pm I want to use the remaining daylight to make a short trip down to the gas station. I gear up an get going. Orca's seems quiet.

screen_ce9b992b-ddc9-4412-b1cc-8db443e50dd6.thumb.png.44991918d6987ba6ff1318c5d6d6ca85.png

Coming closer I notice deer patrolling the yard in front of it. No signs of wolves. I go, pry open the door, and enter. Looting the place yields 46% beef jerky, a 26% granola bar, 2 tins of sardines, 80 and 52%. Another granola bar and 2 cans of dog food are donezo. I take a look out of the front door. The car and the little hut yield nothing. Back to the Office I take a quick look towards the Farm. The way seems clear as well. I will make my first trip there tomorrow. As I really want to avoid urban warfare in Milton, it's my ultimate stop before the Trailer next to the Hushed River Valley Cave.

I finish the day improving my socks and mittens, and then sleep. 

Guest jeffpeng

At this point I have to admit that the run has become a rather usual Interloper run. My most succesful so far - and with the sheer riches I amassed by far! - but certainly not as special at it used to be. The snowball got fat and slow, one could say.

That being said I will (try to) take Kermit 7 to the Monolith Lake. It will probably be around Day 100 at his current pace :coffee: .... but he won't just disappear. I'll continue his journey here in this thread, but I need some .... adrenalin, some .... desperation! Yes, I know. I'm weird that way. So I will start a new TWM thread quite soon with slightly different - but yet more challenging - rules.

Archived