Trying my hand at the DEADMAN challenge!

Dan_

Guest jeffpeng

You really have to keep ahead of the curve I guess - which is pretty damn hard I figure. @Drifter Manmade a legit speedrun in his early days. If you think about it: you have to make good 0.4°C per day just to stay even with the world. Sure, the wolf skins will help, but it's just a bandaid.

Decent headgear would help. There's chance for a balaclava at signal hill, and I believe a wool toque at the farmstead in PV. TWM has guaranteed wool toque and wraps on the summit. Not to mention at least 7 match spawns on that route. I guess you could / should take that journey once you have your wolf skins. 

Getting through winding river and the cave, in which you should find enough coal to spend the night at the Hilltop Cave. From there it's a short walk to signal hill, which still should have 2-3 edible cans and some candy / granola to keep you fueled to get to the farm. There you can actually stay 2-3 days fixing clothes and hunting wolves and deer. There's enough of both there for a few days. Then via Draft Dodgers to Skeeters picking up a few cattail on the way should be doable, maybe kill the wolf there if hungry. Then to the bunker, and if the weather permits to the hut in TWM in one day, two if not.

You will find a hacksaw there on your loot table, so you don't need to bring one. You can rest there 1-2 days again as you have like 50 cattails on the lake and two easy to hunt wolves plus a deer. If you followed Kermit and Thatch closely the ascent should be a piece of cake with a bedroll. You have so many warm caves on the way it's not even a challenge. Up and down in two days fueld by cattails, pit stop at Three Way Cave for extra matches and the clothes container with an extra wool sweater, you are in and out in 5-6 days and on the way to CH via farm, barn and rural houses in two more days if weather keeps playing into your hands. Then back via Quonset, Jackrabbit and Fishing Camp, up the creek and via the ravine back to the dam.

In any case you should be able to make that trip in 15 days if you make haste and don't encumber yourself, 20 days tops, which would you leave with probably 3 additional +C from headgear alone and enough cloth to keep your existing clothes in good working order for quite a long time. You should find enough food on the way to live off the land.

Just my thoughts on how to keep Deadman alive up until and past day 50 :) 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

You really have to keep ahead of the curve I guess - which is pretty damn hard I figure. @Drifter Manmade a legit speedrun in his early days. If you think about it: you have to make good 0.4°C per day just to stay even with the world. Sure, the wolf skins will help, but it's just a bandaid.

Decent headgear would help. There's chance for a balaclava at signal hill, and I believe a wool toque at the farmstead in PV. TWM has guaranteed wool toque and wraps on the summit. Not to mention at least 7 match spawns on that route. I guess you could / should take that journey once you have your wolf skins. 

Getting through winding river and the cave, in which you should find enough coal to spend the night at the Hilltop Cave. From there it's a short walk to signal hill, which still should have 2-3 edible cans and some candy / granola to keep you fueled to get to the farm. There you can actually stay 2-3 days fixing clothes and hunting wolves and deer. There's enough of both there for a few days. Then via Draft Dodgers to Skeeters picking up a few cattail on the way should be doable, maybe kill the wolf there if hungry. Then to the bunker, and if the weather permits to the hut in TWM in one day, two if not.

You will find a hacksaw there on your loot table, so you don't need to bring one. You can rest there 1-2 days again as you have like 50 cattails on the lake and two easy to hunt wolves plus a deer. If you followed Kermit and Thatch closely the ascent should be a piece of cake with a bedroll. You have so many warm caves on the way it's not even a challenge. Up and down in two days fueld by cattails, pit stop at Three Way Cave for extra matches and the clothes container with an extra wool sweater, you are in and out in 5-6 days and on the way to CH via farm, barn and rural houses in two more days if weather keeps playing into your hands. Then back via Quonset, Jackrabbit and Fishing Camp, up the creek and via the ravine back to the dam.

In any case you should be able to make that trip in 15 days if you make haste and don't encumber yourself, 20 days tops, which would you leave with probably 3 additional +C from headgear alone and enough cloth to keep your existing clothes in good working order for quite a long time. You should find enough food on the way to live off the land.

Just my thoughts on how to keep Deadman alive up until and past day 50 :) 

All much appreciated thoughts and tips :), I have taken many of these in consideration but the weather is just relentless, I looted a decent chunk of the world ( milton had no clothing for me.. ) and didn't find much. No balaclava on loper loot tables, remember? This ones reminds me of a loper run on which I found 2 toques on the entire world (I even made a thread about this if I'm not mistaken...). Coal by winding river is gone, I already took it and loose food spawns will all be ruined with the decay rates ( brutal, believe me ). I need cooking 5 and slightly better gear if I ever want to travel. There is no other way around it unfortunately, I'll try to summit with him but I need to prepare a bit better.

Deadman 1 

Morning is really cold and my calorie reserve is thin, I circle outside the building for sticks and return to warm up. I test to see if I can make it to the overlook to deploy my snares but the weather says no. I munch down my four last cattails, last pelt is 92% cured so I'm only missing the food to craft my jacket, I wait out the weather checking outside and testing to see which distance I can go before freezing nearly halfway, then retreat and sleep for 1 hour. 

As always, weather improves by the afternoon and I venture out to the lake, I can see a pair of wolves and some deer. The wolves quickly find me, I put one of them down and the other gets an arrow stuck in the ol'noggin. I get to archery level 3, yay!

20181122112104_1.thumb.jpg.8cd229c5924873223b2a9993ae82d528.jpg

I turn right to track the deer, I fail to land a shot from far away but make it to a cabin to warm up for a bit. Weather has improved dramatically when I awake from my nap and we have a customer:

20181122113406_1.thumb.jpg.821f16ad70d1c8119c506d5259b3f5d7.jpg

I try shooting from the ledge but my shot falls to the bear's feet ( or paws ), he backs away and I advance towards enemy territory, running in towards the fishing hut. From here I take a shot and retreat, the bear is getting a bit physical with the little hut. 

20181122113454_1.thumb.jpg.b638aae382a4d6b793cbe6dde7cbd12b.jpg

I wait until he is far enough away and put a shot on his ass, he darts in a frenzied gallop perhaps indigned by my lack of sportsmanship. He is bleeding, I run to the wolf carcass to have a deserved meal, I'm starved. Campfire is assembled on the ice, took 1% freezing damage for it.  I cut two big steaks, set them to cook and would you just look who turned up at the kitchen?

20181122131248_1.thumb.jpg.a80903d3af8890a37de16aeac0fe161b.jpg

I had no choice, I was cold and tired, and he charged me while I was having dinner, a matter of life and death. 

20181122131350_1.thumb.jpg.6b890d0dbddab51be1b53e0f643621a8.jpg

Weather is good, he is close enough to the fire so I harvest a ton of his meat and his hide. I retreat back to the cabin carrying some food, eat some sumptuous well marbled bear sirloin and rejoice the warrior's rest. One down, one more to go. 

20181122132157_1.thumb.jpg.25a8a71296cd07dd24291d86e16568d6.jpg

Next morning I go back to harvesting the rest of the steaks, some guts and cooking a few before the fog turns into a storm ( I hate the crazy weather variability, such a dishonorable mistress ), I take 4% more damage as I had just enough firewood to sustain that fire. Back at the camp office, I set to work on my wolf coat and put a few hours on it, finally making some progress. There's still an intact wolf carcass to harvest and a bucketload of meat to cook and eat. Cooking is nearly there, if I get cooking 5 I'm moving carrying all my steaks. 

I wake up the next day, put a few more hours into my wolf coat and document another milestone, 40 days survived. Deadman is hanging by a thin strand of cordage, I'm not sure he has a long and prosperous future...

20181122133811_1.thumb.jpg.fc8dd1eaf979035ad2742a1ef1d271be.jpg

4 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Good to see your Deadman going strong! Weather is always a struggle, the wind rarely stops and Day 38 is already very cold.

The wind is perhaps the worst of all factors, it blows always at my face. Taking freezing damage is a given, it was all looking reasonably easy in the early game, not so much right now. :D

That wolf attack ruined the run in all honesty. 

Archived