Trying my hand at the DEADMAN challenge!

Dan_

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, you contracted the parasites up front instead of the risk?

Not sure carrying bait ( as some do on Loper) is a good strategy, with the Deadman wolves detection range set to maximum. I personally have a mouse (I mean the computer one) that I cannot smash, so I always prefer avoidance (except Bareskin14, who paid with its life).

I guess it's gonna be hard. Just make sure you're out of the Skeg with enough medicine. Not sure you can make the whole travel in one shot, with the fatigue drain? Maybe Broken Railroad could be a shorter trip if you're near there already? Then survive there (the Shed) until you're healed?

Last time I had parasites I moved the collect shrooms as soon as I contracted it to benefit fully the full Fatigue bar. On the last day, you just can't move much. At least you have no CF the fear, if you're looking for some good news.

13 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I wish I was half of the flare gun sniper that you are!

I'm flattered, but I'm more of a hip-shooting desperado! :flaregun:

The trick is to aim with the center of the barrel, anything beyond five yards, you gotta aim even higher. Also, taking shots. I died so many times with 10 flare shots stored for bear prevention that I do not save them anymore, just spook the deer throwing a rock behind him and shoot him, you'll hit more often than not. They also bleed and die quickly if you hit his chest or torso. The wolf took my bait, it was more of a rage filled shot than anything. 

12 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Wait, you contracted the parasites up front instead of the risk?

Not sure carrying bait ( as some do on Loper) is a good strategy, with the Deadman wolves detection range set to maximum. I personally have a mouse (I mean the computer one) that I cannot smash, so I always prefer avoidance (except Bareskin14, who paid with its life).

I guess it's gonna be hard. Just make sure you're out of the Skeg with enough medicine. Not sure you can make the whole travel in one shot, with the fatigue drain? Maybe Broken Railroad could be a shorter trip if you're near there already? Then survive there (the Shed) until you're healed?

Last time I had parasites I moved the collect shrooms as soon as I contracted it to benefit fully the full Fatigue bar. On the last day, you just can't move much. At least you have no CF the fear, if you're looking for some good news.

Yep, if the chance gets to 100% you get parasites instantly and I was aware of that mechanic.

What I wasn't is that eating raw meat gets you 75% chance of parasites upfront! O.o I never ate raw meat, not even by accident before, well there is a first for everything, right? :D

I agree in regards to bait, wolves are very aggressive here somehow but this is the only way I like to play after I have a bow in hand. I was a bit cocky with how I handled the skeg, I'm forgetting I do not have firestarting 5 or a full set of awesome clothing in this run. 

I'm thinking of going either back to ML or to Marsh Ridge and then Milton Basin. BR would be a quick trip but the wolves there are brutal with all the choke points on the map, I don't even know where my arrows went and I'm down to two flare shells so I want to avoid the wolves from now on. I'm sure stamina will be still good the next three to four days, I need to move but I didn't even check on my clothes. Thinking about it, BR wouldn't be bad for the food that it has, I might go there. 

Yeah CF would be brutal in this mode, I have enough mushrooms for 9 treatments, I can pick up some more on the way back I'm sure. Had this been based on the full 20 days of loper, I'd consider the deadman D-E-D already. :D

I'm not sure what to do, I've played a bit of my loper save ( stockpiling rabbit pelts, of which I have little scattered through the maps ) and will resume deadman on monday or tuesday whenever I'm good. I can't get triggered when I eventually die, but I've been playing very methodically and stressed, I'm not sure how you guys do this so frequently. Hats off. :toque:

26 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

What I wasn't is that eating raw meat gets you 75% chance of parasites upfront! O.o I never ate raw meat, not even by accident before, well there is a first for everything, right? :D

Never seen that, played a lot with wolf meat on sleepwalker mode, always had Parasites up to 1% at first raw meat, then 4% on second, the iirc 9% total at the third.

28 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

stockpiling rabbit pelts

Readying for Rabbit hat? :D

1 hour ago, BareSkin said:

Never seen that, played a lot with wolf meat on sleepwalker mode, always had Parasites up to 1% at first raw meat, then 4% on second, the iirc 9% total at the third.

The wiki is referring to eating raw predator meat as a 75% instant chance of parasites, It's consistent with my only anecdotal experience on eating raw meat but the wiki has been very wrong way many times before, you are probably right. Eating cooked predator meat is consistent with what you report though. 

1 hour ago, BareSkin said:

Readying for Rabbit hat? :D

Oh yeah, Raph can throw any material cost at me, I'm getting a pair of rabbit hats. If I can only wear one the other can stand as decoration. :rabbit:

Guest jeffpeng

Raw predator meat has a 75% chance of parasites. Can confirm. Did eat it more than once pressing the wrong buttons before the update. In fact a long term Stalker of mine contracted it 3 times in 30 days. The only upside to that ... eat all the wolf/bear you want. It has no more negative effects after you actually got parasites. Especially on Stalker and I guess also on Deadman with its Stalker-esque waves of wolves eating them can be a surprisingly efficient way to sustain yourself :D

Guest jeffpeng
13 hours ago, BareSkin said:

I am not, my mistake. I didn't get we were speaking raw predator meat, never did that but thanks to your experience I might never try, it's death sentence.

Not sure if it's a death sentence. It isn't on Loper, that's for sure. It might be on Deadman. It's annoying, that's true, and it limits your mobility severely, especially after day 10. But on the other hand you can sleep 24 hours a day if that's something that you desire. It might help saving calories, not being able to starve yourself, and all.

2 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Raw predator meat has a 75% chance of parasites. Can confirm. Did eat it more than once pressing the wrong buttons before the update. In fact a long term Stalker of mine contracted it 3 times in 30 days. The only upside to that ... eat all the wolf/bear you want. It has no more negative effects after you actually got parasites. Especially on Stalker and I guess also on Deadman with its Stalker-esque waves of wolves eating them can be a surprisingly efficient way to sustain yourself :D

Yep, that's the positive about the situation. I ran out of firewood and yolo'd the raw meat, but now I can eat all the wolves/bears I want. I have this in mind for my deadman session today, if I survive leaving the skeg and recovering my arrows.

1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

You need to find a nice, safe place, trap rabbits and retire :)

I'll give trapping a try this run, it might just push me over the edge. Deer population is sparse on deadman.

Deadman 1 - Post disaster - Day ???

Back on the saddle after a brief hiatus, deadman is awake by the spence's cave in FM. Parasites are still there, no lucid nightmare I reckon. 

Weather is atrocious with a felt -25C, I run to nearest wolf carcass from before to try and locate my arrow, not there. Back and forth to the cave warming up and manage to locate just one wolf body and one of my arrows. Taking stock of my stuff, I realize I've got frostbite risk ( my driving gloves wore out at the forge ) and only one more flare shell? A screenshot recap and I realize I shot one flare just after being mauled by the wolf, there were two others closing in to finish me off. 

I make runs outside, trying to locate valuable pieces of firewood and warm myself up back in the cave, I run out of calories quickly and have to starve while waiting for better travelling weather. Gameplan is to loot the broken bunkhouse, complete with drawer and acquire coal to warm me up on the way back to ML.

20181112095918_1.thumb.jpg.9b50cec64172ddf527fc7479253a4ead.jpg

I considered going for marsh ridge and then milton basin but I have food by the Dam, I can craft arrows there and hunt by the ravine. For that I need to get out of FM alive, I stop making potentially unnecessary plans. 

The afternoon is warming up and I take the plunge and go, I've got enough sticks closer to the homestead that I can sustain two warming up fires without coal. I get a good amount of the black stuff by the bunkhouse, harvest the cattails around and set off. It's colder than what I desire but it will do for now. 

20181112100247_1.thumb.jpg.4c928b1cf792960604fca052f929b587.jpg

By peanut butter rock, a wolf is tracking me from a distance. I swerve around and manage to put the fire in my desired protected spot, cook up a bit of water,  and warm up with one piece of coal. From there, a bunch of 46% torches and I'm off again. 

20181112100836_1.thumb.jpg.5af3d8fddddc10044cd012abefcfec8c.jpg

Grandma fog materializes once again, I manage to grab a few more  cattails and rose hips ( no reishi ) and set away towards the rail tunnel, my warmth bar is a tiny sliver but I want to make a protected fire inside the tunnel. I take a bit more freezing damage before the fire is warm enough. It's kinda satisfying using the same fire spot, homely feel, but it's not over yet. 

20181112101512_1.thumb.jpg.3e2e8950eb7c0ce64f991da3bb26d819.jpg

I manage to make my way to the Camp Office in a lone walk, no threats. Inside, I eat all of my remaining cattails and set to sleep. Here are my food provisions before the night. It's not looking good, but I've got food at the Dam. 

20181112102115_1.thumb.jpg.87c47decee566a2d98bcd5b10cc13b1d.jpg

By morning, I'm checking the outside temps and crafting arrows while I wait the cold to be done with it's thing and leave. I've crafted three more arrows by the time the weather is tolerable, I've got sticks and coal to warm myself up, I'm walking towards the Dam, hungry as a junkyard dog. 

I take the hilltop route and pass by another previous warming fire, there's deer by the river so the wolves must not be here. I run down, stubborn in not making a warming fire close to my goal. I take a few more ticks of damage before reaching the trailer for a nap ( I lost track of condition, but it's not looking good ).

20181112103022_1.thumb.jpg.27b9470e9ff916e33d4e23fa413693f3.jpg

I grab my six steaks and run downstairs to cook them by the fire barrel, I can't any afford losing more condition to the cold. Steaks are cooked and water is left to boil on the fire. I go back up and craft some more arrows, night has fallen, I check my supplies by the dam, organize my stuff and go to sleep on a full belly, two steaks to spare. I can hunt and craft now, not sure how this luck stacks against my terrible condition, I still have one stim left. 

20181112103837_1.thumb.jpg.2d1847eee716cb4f17cfbef51c5fbcfc.jpg

Deadman 1 

Frigid morning, I test the weather but there is no way I'm going out. I retreat and set to work on my mitts, frostbite would suck right now. I craft in single hour sessions and check the weather outside, a blizzard is mounting up. I notice the weather is now varying between super cold snowfall, ultra windy and blizzard, with the occasional fog sprinkled in sparsely. I finish my mittens and they do make a good difference:

20181112104301_1.thumb.jpg.6d79e5c033e72e478a339522a70ad4db.jpg

20181112104754_1.thumb.jpg.e2ca01344b5a84f9e6c38ebeabd4652b.jpg

Felt big to me, at least. I repair my bedroll, put 3 hours onto my deer boots(I choose boots because my shoes are laughable) and check the weather once again and it's warm, down two final steaks and off I go to check on the wolves, not there again. The ravine is also very quiet and there are no deer around this time, unfortunately. I miss two rabbit stone shots and retreat back to warm up in the first cave, I have to nap two hours to stave off the cold and mounting fatigue. My mission is to acquire the mushrooms from the second cave, after the fallen tree bridge. I manage to do so and get a rabbit down there, sleep once more, grab a tomato soup and two pieces of coal, weather is turning on me. 

20181112110559_1.thumb.jpg.f697ae0a83e484908ab074a8ed672dcd.jpg

I barely make it back to the first cave in time, rabbit in hand. There I harvest the meat ( 1.1kg ) and prepare my reishi and rose hips. Weather turns cold very fast and I'm now stuck here, I cook up my rabbit and reishis and sleep by the fire with calories on my belly. By the end of the night I'm nearly out, it's felt -18C outside with no wind so I run back to the Dam and manage to make it safely. I'm frustrated by the lack of wolves, I can hunt them easily from the boulders. 

I take another 4 hour sleep and wake up to a blizzard, I have 24 calories left so I make my way towards winding river for the cattails but the blizzard is even worse on that side. I retreat and consider working on the boots, but I have another think and decide to run for the cattails under the bridge, I drop weight and manage to snatch three more, eat and sleep by the storage trailer. 

20181112112816_1.thumb.jpg.55c99fca0821f834ce5296d9edbc5a9b.jpg

I've had enough fun for now, but I need to sort my food situation out. Even if this means I'll have to actively hunt the wolves face to face. 

Deadman 1 - Continuation

I wake up from my warming up nap by the trailer, the wind has stopped singing outside, I peek out. 

20181112150110_1.thumb.jpg.568310aa6fdd33314325710afd3d95be.jpg

Weather is.... NICE! I walk down the river collecting a few more cattails and the deer have returned, hunting time. I wait around a good shot on a deer that's cresting a hill to my right and take a shot, I miss the headshot but hit on his ribcage. I confirm he's bleeding and try pursuiting it towards the trailers, I fail and he runs off in the direction of the train loading area. I'm off to warm up again. 

20181112150231_1.thumb.jpg.48d11813b589a6d7374b85770a009db1.jpg

By early afternoon, weather has improved further and I go back the same direction he was last seen.

20181112150541_1.thumb.jpg.c7848d3eadaef6b6eafe3bcd075ee73a.jpg

I locate the prey easily (*tips hat to them crows), grab my arrow back and start a fire, I manage to harvest most of the deer as the wind picks up, I sitck feed the fire and nab half kilo chunks with the hacksaw. The fire outlasts the wind and I cook a few more pieces and manage to harvest the hide and guts. The wolves from the loading area show up inquiring what's cooking, but they run away from the mighty god of fire. 

20181112151000_1.thumb.jpg.b58c3d10e8537d2a93e6c877094e050b.jpg

I bring my prize back safely to the dam yard and feast on fresh venison. My sports socks wear out as I'm sleeping, not even this small buzz killer can spoil my good spirits.

Next morning I climb onto my coward's ledge, bringing the stank, waiting for the wolf patrol to show up. They don't.

20181112151720_1.thumb.jpg.9aac1c1002e516d6c0c3f6203a742671.jpg

I go back inside and finish crafting my boots, checking on the wolves twice but they don't show up. Boots finished my clothing is starting to look much better, I reckon I neglected my clothing situation(plus bad clothig RNG) and that has costly me dearly in this first run. I'm not doing it again on the future. 

Afternoon arrives hands held with the sun and the wind. I can make a maglens fire if I find a spot, which I do:

20181112153030_1.thumb.jpg.b245cfebd489d947748e2a826b61d2d4.jpg

Water making and cooking of most of the steaks before fatigue takes hold of the deadman. I wake up next morning, missing only three more days of treatment to get my stamina back. Food supplies are decent for a couple days, I need wolf meat and pelts but I can't take a struggle.

20181112153446_1.thumb.jpg.744aa40756c2a6067e12ca056a2ef5fd.jpg

Playing session is over, crisis averted, for now. 

Deadman 1 - Continuation

Firing up deadman once again, I'm kinda enjoying the suffering and cursing that goes with it.

20181112195818_1.thumb.jpg.8afa867ddf56c9ea83bcc1006a086a9b.jpg

Deadman 1 has lasted 23 days so far. 

I make repairs to my sweatshirt and scarf, losing the socks had me at 11ºC. I had to earn that single degree back, plus there was a windstorm going on outside. 10AM'ish and the weather is decent, I look out for my furry friends but they failed to show up again. Water making time, sponsored by maglens.

20181112200744_1.thumb.jpg.4d8e81a3ed0380140ec9a038db1f4a29.jpg

I leave my water cooking and set out to the Ravine, there is no deer in sight and it is quite a bit colder in here. I resign to stoning two bunnies and retreat to my water making duties. I harvest their meat but I do not cook it, I still have deer meat to feed me and I'm planing on going to Winding River to get myself some resources and hopefully a wolf. 

20181112202150_1.thumb.jpg.62d23d82aac4ebc0cd3aa345c0ba303a.jpg

I scout from the edge of the cliffs, no bunny, no wolves. I make my way down still looking for that wolf, I stop by the cave to warm up and loot some lantern fuel and a ruined can of peaches. I'm starting to understand why it is so hard to find food in containers, everything has already decayed. The transition cave has a bunch of resources and I happily accept all of it. I'm heavily overencumbered by the time I'm done, a quick peek into PV show agreeable weather, but I know all about the day long blizzards and nastiness of that place, I'm not going in to find only ruined food, that ship has sailed. In a better equipped future, I'll pass through there on my way to the summit, RNGeezus willing. Loot haul from the region so far:

20181112203425_1.thumb.jpg.002cd8888ab26e4d82e3cc51f7731548.jpg

The looting operation took me the whole day, so I sleep on the transition cave and walk back to the Dam the next morning. Harvest two carcasses, one by the maple stand on that opposite ledge and another by the rock, wind blew out my fire as I was finishing with the pelt, no damage taken. Four guts, two pelts and a two kilos of meat, supplies are ok. I take a two hour nap to refill my fatigue eye a bit and take a nervous walk through the Dam at night, Fluffy suddenly comes to mind.

20181112205517_1.thumb.jpg.dab73ee49f5c1a68400f419afa975fd3.jpg

I make it back, eat my venison and sleep until daytime. I take my last dose of reishi and...

20181112205808_1.thumb.jpg.4e478c3ca2eb92c337b7e8ef830d05c4.jpg

There is no brandy or cigars in TLD, so I'll celebrate with a stim whenever a good opportunity presents itself. Outside, the sun is out but the weather is terrible, I make another maglens fire and cook the rabbits and a bit of water, they were quite wholesome and had a lot of meat. I'm out of food though.

As luck would have it, the wolves are finally here! I shoot and miss, typical. 

20181112210157_1.thumb.jpg.0abe3bced190c0d4e22a2f22f76ce2ff.jpg

It's way too cold for me to engage them, so I do what every sane hunter would in this situation, I clean and organize my room. I look at my supply of rabbit pelts and a hat comes to mind, I laugh at the naiveness of my own subconscious, I'm probably not making that far in this run. 

20181112210640_1.thumb.jpg.96c9bbdaca66dfd8c5f2fa054d7213f9.jpg

Weather has improved so I go outside to face my nemesis, I line up and shoot him in the chest, he runs away with my arrow. By the time I'm harvesting reishi from the trunks, another challenger appears. This time I line up and headshot him, cooking him up right on spot. I can't find my first arrow, maybe it is beneath the snow and will pop up sometime?

20181112211028_1.thumb.jpg.b81d1b597a470f442a0b667b864f9265.jpg

Scrawny little fella.

20181112211141_1.thumb.jpg.5f19af18d70f0669beb3b1d6dae10990.jpg

I harvest and cook him up(ate 2 kilograms of his flesh, after instantaneous parasites, I can deal with 4% chance of parasites), leaving water to use the remaining fire. Torch in hand and I'm off to harvest the rest of the cat tails ( two...) and reishi from the river. I venture out searching for my wolf and I find myself near the deer carcass near the train loading area, it's got two kilos of meat. I start harvesting and a beautiful aurora fills the night sky. 

20181112211922_1.thumb.jpg.1fccd181f22d9778cdb0f4932b8b04cb.jpg

Wind blows my fire out and I'm making my way back carrying raw meat, this little dude shows up:

20181112212217_1.thumb.jpg.a437700a074cca7c955b8e23a2a2e7ae.jpg

I shoot him and the arrow bounces off, he runs away scared. I grab the arrow and make my way to the dam(1% more freezing damage), the wolf will have to wait for another warm day. Got my first wolf pelt. Stats for this run so far, 27 days survived. 

20181112212734_1.thumb.jpg.e52c426abefb53f1ffeac41c9d48b7e9.jpg

Stay warm ( and fed )! :coffee:

I wonder if I should stop reading these stories were people manage to make it trough 10 times what I can hold. I wonder if anyone has ever brought his first deadman to 30 days. Mine was 24 minutes. Yes, in-game minutes :D.

15 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Not sure if it's a death sentence. It isn't on Loper, that's for sure. It might be on Deadman.

I didn't know you could get parasites without being poisoned, but that makes sense, I thought you had both and would be fighting constant exhaustion.

22 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

I look at my supply of rabbit pelts and a hat comes to mind

I just did the same with Bareskin 15: I was thinking the trip to the Stone Church would force me to spend a match and be dangerous, but that the rabbit hat would be needed very shortly to be able to stay outside against cabin fever. I realized I was dreaming only when I couldn't remember how many pelts I was missing for this craft. I'll have to go with my yellow-decay tuke a bit longer.

10 hours ago, BareSkin said:

I wonder if I should stop reading these stories were people manage to make it trough 10 times what I can hold. I wonder if anyone has ever brought his first deadman to 30 days. Mine was 24 minutes. Yes, in-game minutes :D.

Well, I think it's fair to say I have a bit of experience with interloper ( 500+) hours, excluding 200+h of playing time in an old notebook without internet, which steam does not compute, and crucially: I've been following the great players on the forum even before I registered, like Drifter Man and Selfless, I've watched quite a few good players over the years like LMG, GELTaz, Kimiota and now Atheenon. You kinda build a knowledge base that stays with you. 

None of that changes the fact that RNG is your overlord in deadman, you can be great and die in a few days, or you can make it kinda far without much knowledge. All it takes is a struggle or a ill-timed blizzard to break you. 

That said, the writing is a bit rushed and makes me look confident and in control, I can assure you it is not the case, there is a lot of cursing and facepalming going on in the background. :D

I didn't know you could get parasites without being poisoned, but that makes sense, I thought you had both and would be fighting constant exhaustion.

The exhaustion kicks in gradatively, Deadman is only 10 days which is a breeze. Interloper does you in with a brutal 20 days, I could barely walk out of my cave without being totally out of fatigue. If you have a stable situation with less than max condition, taking parasites is a legitimate strategy I'd say. 

I just did the same with Bareskin 15: I was thinking the trip to the Stone Church would force me to spend a match and be dangerous, but that the rabbit hat would be needed very shortly to be able to stay outside against cabin fever. I realized I was dreaming only when I couldn't remember how many pelts I was missing for this craft. I'll have to go with my yellow-decay tuke a bit longer.

I wonder if Hinterland is going to remove the touque from the game to balance out the rabbit hat.

1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

27 days... almost there!

I am! To be fair, I've been following your thread and that has helped me immensely, even though the strategy is different. The warming breaks, stocking up and managing firewood being the biggest tips. * Tips ( rabbit ) hat. :toque: 

After I die with this current dude I might make a Drifter style run, beelining the summit and then forging before settling down. Half-decent clothing is so helpful.

Deadman 1 - Day 27

Day starts with a hungry deadman, there's deer meat to cook outside but I can't get a maglens fire. Cook them up in the fire barrel and fill up. Weather improves as always by dusk, I search for my lost arrow ( found it ) and go on to harvest the dead wolf by the unloading area. He's still intact. Winds pick up and I can sense a blizzard incoming, I post up at the maintenance trolley and make a protected fire with two lumps of coal, small bit of freezing and I'm down one more percent, I take  this time to harvest all the reishi I've got and cook some water. 

20181113110757_1.thumb.jpg.f88ebaabc9d8024add19eda6c8dea930.jpg

Blizzard arrives in force.

20181113111041_1.thumb.jpg.77a9fd81b2dda55c86fd44853597e4ac.jpg

By nightfall the climate is milder and I can hear the crows, I manage to harvest and cook the whole wolf ( tiny, 3.4kg specimen ) and make my way back to the Dam, only being rudely interrupted by another challenger, I put him to sleep and enter the Dam.

20181113111809_1.thumb.jpg.b504666618fd13dbb2796cc3f47c72dc.jpg

With food  supplies sorted, I sleep and decide to take a trip to the ravine, checking for deer. They are here, I manage to put a shot on the first deer and confirm he's bleeding and then a small warming up break and onto the second one.  This one I put another side shot from a good distance ( it's hard to approach them in deadman ), from here I chase him into a corner and deliver the final blow.

20181113114004_1.thumb.jpg.22b0bd2136b979e9fa0b5203ce3f158b.jpg

I harvest him on spot and cook most of the meat, by now weather is turning on me and I'm tired. I preemptively move to the warm cave. Eat, drink and sleep in small intervals. 

Morning is very cold, but I manage to stay warm in my bedroll, I make trips outside to search for my deer but the snowfall doesn't allow the crows to show up, I have time to track the deer later. I grab everything from the cave and move back to the dam in a very cold morning, I stop by to warm up at the trailer and enter the dam yet again undisturbed by the wolves. I put a couple hours on the deerskin pants, waiting for better travelling weather. 

I drop the meat and guts/pelts by the dam, warm up, work some more on my pants and re-sharpen my knife. The weather is actually manageable, I make haste towards the ravine to retrieve my arrow and harvest my other deer. The crows bring me bad news...

20181113120509_1.thumb.jpg.943d70bdd5c1a89fcc66e20d9825a500.jpg

It has died on an inaccessible part of the transition zone, that deer and arrowhead are lost forever, down to 7 arrow points. 

I move back towards the train bridge, I harvest the wolf routinely and move the supplies back to the dam, only one wolf pelt missing now. 

20181113120749_1.thumb.jpg.ad03f6497b87222cb6f0ceb97478b9ab.jpg

This night I remember to stim up and sleep, I'm in presentable condition now and...

20181113124831_1.thumb.jpg.4b8925a7a0792c3c12ccb0506c760281.jpg

I claim my invisible deadman badge. :coffee:

I might keep this character going until he fades, I'm interested in retiring him by desolation point and using the three stims along the way, but the reports will be much shorter and less detailed. Thanks @Drifter Man and @BareSkin for the good pointers!

Dan

On 13/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, Stone said:

Congratulations! Great run, great following your story. Future aspiring rabbit hat wearing Deadmen will look upon you in awe. :coffee:

Thank you for following along! Hopefully he still has something on those legs. I'll continue the deadman save saturday, this time around I have no firm goal so I'll be a bit more daring with him. I need those stims and bear gear to survive the incoming cold. What can possibly go wrong, right? :D

6 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Welcome to the club of accomplished deadmen!

Thank you! As a trailblazer of the extreme TLD community, I'm sure you put good word for me around the campfire, I'll bring in some venison and herbal tea for the meeting. :coffee:

Still, RNG favoured me massively on this run I'm aware, but I'll take it regardless. 

Deadman 1 - Day 31

Deadman is back after a stress relief break, I take stock of what I have and where I am. I declare myself to be in good position. Weather is decent but the winds are vicious, I use this time to craft a few more arrows and organize my inventory. I go outside to check on wolves as the weather became decent and I can't see them, I plan on going to the ravine. As soon as I jump down the fence, I can hear wolf paws. I retreat back to the safety of my fence and the wolf shows up, lunchtime.

20181117102726_1.thumb.jpg.7b88c096f6067ae7cd3aa089bd647223.jpg

The last wolf pelt I needed for a nice jacket, with luck I can make it 7 more days although the weather might object. I repair my clothing and tear down old stuff ( windbreaker, hoodie, shoes ), weather gets worse outside and I'm looking at the abundance of guts laying on the ground. The synthetic voice of @Drifter Man ( how do I know you're not Hinterland's testing AI? ) mumbles something about trapping. I make a snare and I'm surprised by their lightness, I craft three more in the dark and call it a day, early night is stunning with a full moon. 

20181117104726_1.thumb.jpg.55a955fcc53cc126d4ce55e159ee8c3a.jpg

By morning, I cook the last three raw deer steaks I had laying around and make some water then off to the ravine to check on deer and deploy my new toys. There is no deer as expected and only one rabbit by the waterfall grove, I place my snares and will check whenever I can, no firm commitment as these guts were just laying around, I have no intention of going on a fishing trip. 

20181117105745_1.thumb.jpg.d68dc44df0de185747aedbf03e0560ec.jpg

I look for the wolves on the way back but no score, go back into the dam and put some hours on my last two cookbooks. The next morning the weather is terrible, so I finish reading the cookbooks and think about crafting a second pair of pants. My clothing is decent for now and that'd cost me calories, which would be better invested in a hunt, I'll pass for now. Weather finally clears out after a bit of crate breaking and I'm off to the ravine. Deer check: negative. Snare check: score!

20181117110704_1.thumb.jpg.3970689d6b479437345fb0c5f2831845.jpg

My calorie reserves are dwindling, rabbits will be great to help feed me and power level cooking, which I haven't done since single digit days on this run. I plan on killing a bear and I'd love to be able to sit on nice cabin and feast on bear meat, I need this luxury if I intend on travelling to far lands.

A storm is mounting up on the way back, so I stop and make a protected fire to warm me up and set to portion and cook the rabbits.

20181117111151_1.thumb.jpg.fead2efb952830dfc24e851adf5642df.jpg

A gentle dusky fog fills my vision and I go back to check if the other two snares triggered, I get one more bunny.

20181117111505_1.thumb.jpg.04e0dd043298547a1b301207cbbea8ff.jpg

I make my way back and bunny grind by the yard, cook up some water, take the guts, discard the pelts and go to sleep. Newest wolf pelt is 50% cured by the morning, stomach is full but food supplies have dwindled, I desperately need a good hunt. Skills are looking good. 

20181117111907_1.thumb.jpg.06923dccc882d168fdf93776aec7629e.jpg

Day 36, 34 days survived.

Guest jeffpeng

Scoring a bear would be tremendous for your efforts. I just hope you can cash in on the meat. What's your plan? Lake bear & fishing hut? Lure Clearcut bear to the logging camp?

That's a good question. I've only seen the lake bear in this run, I haven't ventured out far in ML early game. I'm probably sniping him outside the detection range or waiting on a good ledge opportunity, I have been mauled countless times inside the huts, got a bit of PTSD on those. :D 

A trip to the logging camp would be shorter and get me some more resources from those trailers, it would be nice if I got better headgear than the scarves I'm currently using. I'll have a think about it. As long as you pack enough firewood, you can travel well in this mode. I'm waiting to see you take the plunge and have a crack at it, I'm sure you'll fare better than me having conquered TWM like a boss. :coffee:

I'd love to play a bit more today but I will probably not be home in time. 

Deadman is Back! 

Yet again, I resume deadman's adventure and check supplies ( the thread actually helps! ). First task snare check, climate looks tolerable by mid-afternoon with two arrows down, off I go to the ravine after eating the last of my venison and some rabbit sliders. With another two rabbit scores I decide to pick up the snares. Winds change and I'm quickly getting out of warmth. Quick fire and I harvest and cook the two rabbits, by the time I'm finished cooking I realize I left my pots by the outside fire. A full blown blizzard arrives and I make my way back not even grabbing a single torch from the fire. 

Weather is reasonable again, it's near dusk and I decide to take jeffpeng's advice and check for bear by the clearcut. A wolf interrupts me by the train bridge, ( no screenie as he caught me off guard this time ), I miss the killshot but the arrow breaks and the doggo ran away leaving a blood trail. Winds pick up speed again and I decide to abort the bear hunt and retreat, it's just too cold and windy. Not a winning combination I'm afraid. I mend more clothing and check on the wind periodically, looking good by dusk. I locate the dead wolf easily.

20181121181950_1.thumb.jpg.53cc26ef26633e68dbdabeed72e13c93.jpg

I manage to harvest all the meat before the wind kills my fire, I go back to the dam to grill some wolf and enjoy some calories, big boy this one.

20181121182228_1.thumb.jpg.cda5c87437ce8d4894125a75bc7365f2.jpg

Aurora is good for a substitute arrow and I'm near archery 3, a point in which you get good skill perks. Cooking is nearing 5, but not quite there.

Early morning and the wind is back at it again, I risk checking the train bridge but there is no life here anymore, no deer or wolf ( or plant, for that matter ) but run back quickly, the cold is not manageable and I can't have a fire get blown out and waste my firewood. I go back inside, break more crates and check the other side, weather is better here but there is no wolf or rabbit in sight.... again. I never seen this little region without wolves or rabbits, could this be a glitch perhaps? Beautiful view, though. 

20181121184435_1.thumb.jpg.ffb8a099d385d68d0de33a6124b27563.jpg

I make my way back and eat some more of my wolf steaks and fix some clothes. Fatigue is good and the blizzard has stopped, dusk is warm enough to travel at a FL+9 ( stealing your notation style, @BareSkin ), I decide to move base. I grab six guts, a birch sapling, my two last steaks, four wolf pelts and walk to the camp office. I'm hunting bear tomorrow boys and girls.

20181121185255_1.thumb.jpg.12cec7cff71f713c04920a0094ac9b23.jpg

Plan is to stop by the derailment and check for that deer carcass, make  a warming fire there and eat,  but I get nowhere near and I'm already too cold. When the warmth meter dips to the rounded part of the thermometer it is time to stop and make a fire, which I do. I get to the derailment and there is nothing there ( the carcass is here, but I've got no firewood left ), no loot and no wolves. Winds turn up again and morph into a storm, torch is blown out, I take 1% more freezing damage before I reach the camp office.

20181121185842_1.thumb.jpg.d112eed8cc772095e641b94a5d65b705.jpg

I set my pelts to cure, eat my last two wolf steaks and sleep. Setting up snares and hunting tomorrow, mission is acquire a lot of meat, level up cooking to 5, craft wolf coat and survive. Maybe I should focus on that last one...deadman is just hard, I'm not actually enjoying the weather lately, should have looted and moved more by the early game, my clothing is just not warm enough, I need both animal coats to have a fighting chance. 

20181121190116_1.thumb.jpg.542006e7d3b9c5e387db76f5548fdb74.jpg

38 days survived, 43% condition.

:coffee:

Archived