4DON: Post-Mortem

TheEldritchGod

To restate what @Raphael van Lierop said we are happy with the outcome of this year's 4 Days of Night.

We saw a good increase in players during the event across all platforms and saw a significant increase in the conversation around the game during this period. Nothing is perfect and we appreciate the feedback, though try to keep it focused on what you thought ("I liked the pies." or "I didn't like the pies.") as that gives us a sense where we can change things (cakes instead of pies!) next time or increase and lean into things (more pies!) next time.

Just now, admin said:

try to keep it focused on what you thought

I thought after 2h looting of CH: "Wait a minute, so now I just have to stand still for 6 more hours?" OK, I guess I'll write some BareSkin adventure in the in-game Journal, for once.

In-game time challenge might have been more interesting to me.

44 minutes ago, admin said:

. . .  try to keep it focused on what you thought ("I liked the pies." or "I didn't like the pies.") as that gives us a sense where we can change things (cakes instead of pies!) next time or increase and lean into things (more pies!) next time.

-- I loved the JOL (both the art, and the idea).  Would prefer if two on the same map would not yield the same special item (2x on PV gave Satchel . . . which were the only two I found for a long time).

-- Loved the first day "peaceful" challenge to prepare for the rest.

-- Red-eyed demon wolves were fun.  Slightly better if it gave you a "black demon wolf jacket" (just a black jacket instead of the normal grey would have been sufficiently fun)

-- Having said black jacket interact in some way with glowy wolves, would have been fun.

-- Blizzard wasn't my thing for exploring.  Would have liked it be more of a challenge to have the fire burning no matter where, in order to stay alive.  Maybe should be in-game time, rather than real-time based: survive 4 more days!

On the whole, I loved the event.

You know, it occurred to me I think your sequence of days was off. Follow my logic:

Day 1: No wolves.

Day 2: Wolves

Day 3: Super Wolves

Day 4: No wolves.

I think it would have been better to have No wolves, wolves, no wolves, Super Wolves.

I think combined with my suggestion of the maps becoming sequentially open to the player, it would be far more interesting.

Day 1: No wolves (CH, Ravine, ML Only)

Day 2: Demon Wolves (Add MT, and PV)

Day 3: Blizzard forces the wolves to hibernate: No Wolves (Everything but TWM opens up)

Day 4: Aurora: Super Wolves, (TWM) Because getting to the top of TWM should be pure murder.

And add some odd stuff to find in the maps for the dedicated player. The PumpKing Achievement for finding all the pumpkins, or something like that.

Overall I thought that it was perhaps too punishing if you were a person who didn't have much time to play and died on particularly the 3rd or 4th day. In saying that if it didn't matter at all if you died then this game wouldn't be enjoyable, it's a bit like Dark Souls where the threat of death and loss of progress makes the game enjoyable and memorable.

[Edit] I did love looking for the pumpkin caches!

I enjoyed it. Real life kept me from being able to play enough to get the badges, but I enjoyed what I did get to do.

I might tweak my machine's date so I can check out day 4, which I had to completely miss. Aurora night was awesome.

An aurora blizzard night where the whiteout gets lit up in different colours thanks to the aurora would be really sweet, esp. if the wolves were out. Glowing demon-eyed wolves in a multicoloured blizzard... I mean, what's not to like?

16 hours ago, BareSkin said:

The one in which you can name your Hacksaw?

I said or Easter. Easter would probably be better because there are bunnies in the game....

Maybe when we throw rocks at them instead of being stunned they can crap easter eggs that have prizes in them like chocolate bars or bullets....lol!

The direction to simply talk about what you like was fairly soft as I had hoped people would pick up on it without prompting. 

Please focus your feedback in statements about what you enjoyed or did not enjoy. Keep the feedback constructive and framed as your personal opinion. 

Thank you. 

• Admin locked this topic

Archived