DAY 4 (spoilers)

Doc Feral

Spent day 3 in the Quonset Garage. Just put my head outside shortly and got back in. Drank some coffee and tea and nibbled on a chocolate bar. I also thought about leaving that place and try for a cave or maybe a fishing hut, but I was too afraid of the wolves. Never fought aurora wolfes before and didn't have a flashlight, so the choice was clear for me.

Day 4 finally the wolfes dissapeared, so I decided to visit the nearby houses to break down the furniture for reclaimed wood. I took almost 60 units and collected about 15 stick. Altogether I had about 100 units of reclaimed wood and 100 sticks in the garage. The blizzard was raging at -24°C or so, still I was more confident as on day 1. Made fire inside and cooked up some coffee. From time to time I left my little sauna to feel the blizzard outside. It took less than 30 secs to lose all the warmth and get hypothermia risk. So back inside, drank another hot coffee. 30 real time minutes to go for the badge, I decided to build a snow shelter outside near the backdoor. I spent the majority of the last 30 mins there at cool 1°C. In the end I still had 80 reclaimed wood and 60 sticks left.

I really liked the experience! Although it was more of a psychic pressure that a real in game threat for me. Day 1 was really thrilling, I almost got lost running from Quonset to fishing camp while freezing quite badly. The despair because I didn't manage to find a tool (prybar or hatchet or knife). Day 2: cooking a lot tea & coffee and finding the hatchet below tyre stack in the garage. Day 3: almost getting confident that I could make it. Worrying about possible extreme cabin feaver on Day 4. I really liked that I could avoid wolf encounters - only had one on day 2, didn't even see the wolf as I went to check the cars nearby the garage with a flare to see if I missed something in the legrooms. Thanks to Hinterland Studios for making it possible to average players as me to get both batches!

My home for the last 3 days:

screen_0538408b-3196-469f-b9f4-cf703e4ab9d9_hi.png

• Upvote 1

Tonight, my 4DON Mackenzie, which bravely fought wolves yesterday on hills around Milton, has been killed by my tiredness. I had a hard day at work and I forgot to dress him up before putting him to sleep for 12h. And the fire burned out... Why I undressed him? To conserve cothes, which generally is a good habbit in the long-term playing, but it occured a bad habbit tonight. :flaregun::/

To anyone who is bored awaiting a badge:

Try to finnish day 4 as a new game. It is very far from boredom(*)... but I finally got my Midnight Badge! B|

(*)OK, maybe last 30 min was a bit dull - I was cooking a cup of coffee every couple minutes (real time) and just stared at burning barrel, but belive me, it was a wonderful view after an hour and a half of panic searching for warmer clothes in houses around Quonset gas station.

Edited by Civrilios
  • Like 1

I've just played my first real-time hour of Day 4. The start of the Day was brutal. I was staying at the Radio Control Hut on Signal Hill, and had to move because I needed food and more fuel for the fire. Also, I needed an indoor fire. So the plan was to reach the nearest building from my position, and that's the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.

The moment I exited the fence of the radio tower, my status was already 'Numb' and my character was already complaining about the cold. I rushed down the slope but got disoriented quickly and couldn't find the main road that would have led me to the Farmstead. My overall condition was already terrible, barely five minutes into the game. Desperate times, desperate measures: I quit the game in the hope that my previous save hadn't already been overwritten, and luckily when I resumed I was back in the Control Hut. Tried again and this time I managed to go down the hill and take the right turn towards the main road. I marched on, looking for the fence of the Farmstead's property as reference, and you can't imagine my relief when I saw the Yield road sign that marks the main entrance to the property. When I entered the house, I was at 67% health condition, 74% risk of hypothermia, and my clothes were completely wet. Hell of a short stroll in the countryside!

I'm still exploring the house, but so far I found 3 flares, 2 candy bars, a pumpkin pie, 3 litres of lamp fuel, plus some firewood. Thankfully, the Farmhouse is full of breakable furniture and has plenty of books. Oh, funny moment: I wanted to make some coffee and… the horror! I left the recycled can on Signal Hill! I rushed to the kitchen and WHEW — a cooking pot! 

I've found very little pieces of clothing in the Farmhouse, which was a bit disappointing. I'll go have a look in the basement… Meanwhile, I'm glad I made it so far. I was rather ill-equipped, and dying of hypothermia 500 metres from a building was certainly an annoying and anticlimactic way to end my 4 Days of Night… 

–Rick

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 21.00.13.png

• Upvote 6
  • Like 1

Ahh, the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse is also rich in useful items, such as two magnifying lenses, a can opener, scrap metal, a new dress shirt (for my funeral, perhaps?), and a copy of the seminal tome The Frozen Angler, which I assume is required reading under these circumstances. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Well for the last day, seeing as how it's all blizzard and no wolves, I left my formidable arsenal behind, replaced it with cedar and coal, and decided to venture out into the storm.  I hadn't the time to check out Milton prior to Day 2, and I found myself wondering what goodies I had missed there.  Even in the open when the storm is raging at its strongest, I'm only at 2 bars in the cold.  And by pressing my back up against a tree to shelter from the wind, I'm one bar in the warm.  So I made my way through the forest, stopping periodically at a tree or rock to warm up a bit, and made my way to the transition cave with just a few points of condition loss.

Slept, warmed up, then took the rope down.  Made camp in that cave to warm up again, climbed up to Milton Park.  Stopped briefly at the park office, the gas station, then on into town where I started checking houses.  I was able to upgrade my heavy wool sweater to a Fisherman's Sweater, which I patched up to 100% with some cloth found on the floor and the sewing kit I had brought with.  Then on to Grey Mother's house, where I found a nice pumpkin pie waiting for me.  Still an hour and 14 minutes to go, but I think I will continue to explore the rest of this region, and finish 4DON the same way I began: Looting!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Started at Quonset.  Took the hike up to the Abandoned Lookout to check for a pie - none.  Made my way back down through the blinding snow.  Glad I know the map well!  Frostbite set in very quickly but it's progression seemed very slow.  That wind is howling like mad though!

Think I'll stoke up this fire and be glad I stocked all this wood.

screen_dfdc00f4-a49b-4245-b403-42ad916e15a8_hi.png

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

I can't last 20 minutes in the open without going into Hypotherm. Risk, but I did make it to Trapper's, just to see what's up. Seemed a cozy enough place to die as any, as I'm out of wood, only a few CBs left.. but there's a dead deer outside I'm going to check out, and then... I might as well go to Milton. If I can see in these conditions... which I can't always. I only made it to Trapper's because I've run that path a million times before.

Nope. The walk to Milton is just too damn long for my gear.... My only hope is to fish in ML, but I'm not going to bother because I have to do other things now. It's been cool, Hinterlanders! :fire:

Screenshot from 2018-10-31 19-40-56.png

Screenshot from 2018-10-31 19-40-31.png

Edited by reginaphalange
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I decided to go the distance, and using terrain for cover and tactical use of pumpkin pies and hot coffee, made it to the wrecked plane.  I acquired a nice moosehide cloak, 10 rounds of rifle ammo (not that I need it anymore), along with a bunch of candy bars and some coal.  None of which I really need anymore.  I went down and camped in the story mode starting cave, built a nice fire to warm up and dry my clothes, slept a bit, then made the return trip.  The wind shifted in an unfortunate direction that afforded no cover, so I was eventually brought down to freezing.  Just as I took shelter in the church and started a fire, the time was up.  I won.  4 days survived, same guy.

I feel obligated to get him back to the Camp Office, just to provide a nice conclusion to this story. But I kind of regret bidding this survivor farewell.  He accomplished so much, in so short a time.

20181031184230_1.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cullam said:

Did you just start? I found the temp to drop over time. I'm only half an hour in, but when I started for the day, my cave was warm enough. A cottage was just barely warm enough. By the time I got back to my cave, I needed a fire. 

There didn't seem to be a temp change over the 2-hrs.  -20C in the Cabin.  -22C in the back of the cave near the Lake cabins.  Then again, my badge seems muffed up, so who knows. :/

For those who were more timid with game than they'd like check out Turkeysteam's videos of it here

4 Days Of Night:

Especially his interactions with wolves while he's still searching for a rifle. If you like this series check out his Parasites ones where he gives himself "room mates"

He's got a really great dry Canadian Humour, gives all the dead bodies a present of a feather amid other wonderful random stuff.

At time of posting I do t think hes uploaded Day 4

Edited by DaveMcD

A bittersweet homecoming.  I feel like I have concluded this survivor's story, but I kind of don't want to say goodbye.  The first day was a mad rush to get as much done as possible.  I was set for life, I could've just sat down and done nothing the rest of the game.  Day 2, I kind of did just that.  I went out, saw a few wolves, was like...nah, don't need to deal with that.  Went back inside and waited out the clock.

Day 3, I started to get paranoid, and began gathering firewood.  Killed several wolves, one managed to jump me so I took him out in CQC.  Good on you man, you got farther than any of the others.  You actually managed to take a solid nip.  Day 4, I left everything behind and ventured into the one remaining region I had not yet visited.  Mostly catch-and-release looting, although I did take some ammo with me.  And two pies, one of which I ate, the other which I saved as a collector's item.  It's the principle of the thing.

And now, I have returned to the main base, my clothing banged up a bit, but with a brand spankin' new moosehide cloak that I will never wear.  Wondering what future adventures this survivor may have gotten up to, if 4DON were 10DON.  Farewell my friend.  I'm thankful I got to share your story, and wherever you go after this event concludes, I wish you the best.

• Like 2

I really feel bad for those who maybe just started out on Day 4, or who ended up somewhere with poor gear and couldn't build a fire. It seems utterly hopeless. Why do none of the houses in CH have fireplaces/usable stoves (at least the islands and the house by the lumber yard)? So silly. Let me start a fire in my bathtub, or something! I also find it odd that a house in Canada with no broken windows isn't better insulated and is below freezing inside. The cabins in ML were much better insulated.

Edited by reginaphalange

I commend all of you who dare the weather and keep exploring in this situation. I just thought "Let's make a quick trip to the car outside the Farmhouse, just to check the trunk". Hypothermia risk! All systems critical! Shields at 20%! — No wait, that's another game...

• Like 2

Done. If you were in a safe location and had enough fuel, staying put and literally doing nothing was the way to survive.
i did go to the camp office after getting the badge, and it was a little bit sad to leave my cave, knowing I will never be back.

But I wanted to check for a pie... of course there was none.  Of course there would not be in my crap-loot game.

Thanks everyone for the good company during this fun event! :)

20181031210600_1.jpg

Edited by stapeliad

4 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

I started three new games to see what I could find in CH and nope, no pie. Only misery and death. I never found one pie. I feel I missed out.

Try the fishing hut between the Log Sort and the Coastal Townsite.  Like smack in the middle, if you drew a line between the log sort and townsite, closest to the shore. I started a game as a test, and I don't know what compelled me to seek out that particular fishing hut, but it contained a pumpkin pie on my first try.

Started Day 4 in that cave in WR and decide to stay there until get the badge, but I got so bored.

So, I went to Carter Dam and looted the place, after I decide to go for a walk in ML and look for some pies. Found the first pie in that broken building near the trailers in logging camp and a JOL in Destroyed Lookout. There was nothing whorty in Camp Office and I found the second pie in Trappers. Now I'm going to Milton.

screen_ae5502c6-0059-47f7-b5bc-e5285c2204f4_hi.png

screen_0981c95a-0482-4c73-8245-dab2a17896ed_hi.png

screen_c6b30bb4-6531-4c32-b83b-4175d3996245_hi.png

screen_d94cdf0d-673d-48d8-a2c5-4e18b9e9e06b_hi.png

16 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Try the fishing hut between the Log Sort and the Coastal Townsite.  Like smack in the middle, if you drew a line between the log sort and townsite, closest to the shore. I started a game as a test, and I don't know what compelled me to seek out that particular fishing hut, but it contained a pumpkin pie on my first try.

What's odd is that twice I went there just now and both times all that was waiting for me was a newspaper. Both times. And I'm not seeing any candybars at the cabins either so I don't know. In any case I'm Done now. I tried. I'll have to have the real pumpkin pie soon to make up for it.