DAY 4 (spoilers)

Doc Feral

At start the day looked bleak as I couldn't light a fire inside the cave after the storm hit. But a bug or change in wind direction has now let me to light both of the fires inside my cave. Now all that remains to be seen is if the fires go out again and what in earth will I think of then to survive the weather..

4daycave.png

53 minutes ago, Kiena said:

So I guess, if Hinterland is reading this, thanks for an amazing event, but I hope you tweak the last day next year!

That´s exactly what I thought. I´m sitting in the dam and wait. Really boring. :(

5 minutes ago, Kongo-Otto said:

Well, I had no other chance as to sit it out, with the crappy gear I had. Nevertheless I had fun and tomorrow I'll try the Nomad challenge. :)

I don't think any of us can do anything but wait it out. x) I too think it's a bit boring but I  have to blame myself a bit for the boredom, as I used days 2 and 3 preparing myself for the blizzard. And the result of the preparation is that there is no reason for me to leave the cave in which I got firewood for almost two weeks of ingame time. x)

Aaaaand, there it is! :D:D Suddenly feeling a lot braver now, think I'll go enjoy the storm for a bit ;)

To the fine folks at Hinterland, thank you so much for a great event! While I hope you tweek it a bit for next year, to force us to be a bit more brave, it has been a great experience! As others have mentioned, it has livened up both the game and the boards. While I have been actively playing the game for a long time, this event brought me into the community here on the forums, and I know I'm not the only one. Also, I hope we don't have to wait for haloween '19 for another event like this ;)

Good luck to everyone on the last day!

screen_6a405759-42db-4cbc-96ec-c69263276865.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Viking said:

Aaaaand, there it is! :D:D Suddenly feeling a lot braver now, think I'll go enjoy the storm for a bit ;)

That's pretty much my feeling on it.. once I've got my 2 hours in the bag, I'll see if I can make it from Trapper's to the Camp Office.. and maybe beyond.

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

While I have been actively playing the game for a long time, this event brought me into the community here on the forums, and I know I'm not the only one.

I must admit, it's been fun for us 'old hands' to see the big influx of new faces on the forums. I hope you all stick around.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JAFO said:

That's pretty much my feeling on it.. once I've got my 2 hours in the bag, I'll see if I can make it from Trapper's to the Camp Office.. and maybe beyond.

Doing the reverse run now, thought I'd try to map out some pie locations for those that need them. Never spent much time in nighttime snowstorms before, should be interesting :)

EDIT: Made it... did you leave the lights on, @JAFO? ;)

screen_58af508f-abca-468b-a565-3d02912f20c0.png

Edited by Viking

16 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

No pies in my camp office. Maybe it's because I had pots set down on all cooking surfaces.....

I wonder if my in-the-cave save is walkable to the lake cabins... maybe there's pie there.

I had searched all the cabins prior to day 4, and upon revisiting them found no pies. No pie either at Trapper's, which I hadn't searched.

Maybe they won't spawn once you're done? Was hoping to post a few locations for those in need. Also, I wanted a slice of pie, dammit! :)

17 minutes ago, Viking said:

I had searched all the cabins prior to day 4, and upon revisiting them found no pies. No pie either at Trapper's, which I hadn't searched.

Maybe they won't spawn once you're done? Was hoping to post a few locations for those in need. Also, I wanted a slice of pie, dammit! :)

I think it's completely random depending on your starting location and "loot roll" if it can be called that. But as a branch-off of this save, I'm situated in the ML cave by the cabins, and will see if there is pie for me there. I think I can make the walk, just down the hill before the first cabin.

• Like 1

My guess is that if one hadn't prepared by gathering a metric tonne of firewood, then this would be a very interesting challenge! However, since most of us seem to have stockpiled like mad, it's now just 2 hours of staring at a fire. I'm also planning on taking bold risks after it ends, to just to see what this new world is like. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

This is me in "decent, not great" gear standing next to 10-hour fire in upper camp office....

I think we worried too much. :D

Screenshot from 2018-10-31 08-16-14.png

I think you might be right :) As long as you have firewood, you'll make it no problem. 

32 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

It's... not that I forgot about that fact.......... it's that...... I..................................

image.jpeg.7a29aaab9ceb4b9d9699913fc832f327.jpeg

I ended up running left from the camp office toward the track where there were cedar limbs. after 90 minutes of hack-sawing, warmed by my lantern, I was an amber-flagged hypothermia risk.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Viking said:

Made it... did you leave the lights on, @JAFO? ;)

Yup.. mind you, I'm not home right now.. I'm hanging out at the nearby cave to MT. Got a roaring fire going and plenty of food and water.. you're welcome to join me..

• Like 1

So, with this comfortable indoor temperature (and -31°C outside wasn't too bad either, morning blizzards in TWM can get air temperature to -60°C; but the visibility was terrible), I waited out the final day at PV Farmstead, with an extra pumpkin pie to eat. I had some shooting practice - I got one of the flare guns down to 12% condition before I ran out of shells but it didn't break or otherwise show any problems. I'd never noticed before that flare shells survive in the world after they burn out:

screen_a42dc92c-4310-4bcd-8ab3-79b894627965.thumb.png.917c306dde1a3c6c0194ef5d0845e290.png

Rifle started jamming below 40% condition. I knew it would do things like this but never observed it myself as I hadn't held a rifle in my virtual hands in a very long time.

Anyway, the first day was fun, the other three were quite boring... still, I liked the atmosphere of the event and how many people showed up.

For those still fighting for their badge, best of luck! For those just waiting, well... I hope the wait will be over soon.

• Like 2

just -31C... that's kind of disappointing...I should breeze through tonight then and after my two hours explore. Looks like people were not driven from their homes after all... kinda disappointing, but great that it brought people together.. I hope we can have more events in the future, more often, that are more challenging

• Like 2