DAY 3 (spoilers)

Doc Feral

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm done for Day 3. I'm in ML cave by camp office, have ~25 game hours of fire fuel (plus 5 books, 30 tinder, 1 firestarter, 3 accelerants), 5 candybars and about 15 coffees and 25 green teas so I think I'll be okay for 2 more play hours tomorrow. Campfire in cave is lit with 2+ hours of life on current save. So unless I have to flee the cave for some reason... I will just play Solitaire by the fire as the clock runs down.

Short-game gameplay in TLD is very different... 

ETA: I'm carrying all my fire fuel in case I have to run. 

1 minute ago, reginaphalange said:

Short-game gameplay in TLD is very different... 

Agreed.  I actually chop firewood in short games, since I don't have to worry about hatchet condition on day 500 or whatever.  I find short games are a lot more liberating in that way.  I feel more free to fire my weapons, more free to use my equipment.  It's for this reason I really hope we get more Challenge modes added to the game.  A LOT more.  Like dozens.  Short purpose-driven gameplay is a lot of fun.

17 minutes ago, Mixxut said:

I... just died.....

Don't go in the dam on this day. I entered the dam and walked around it normally. And the all of a sudden I'm starting to burn! I go in to a panic mode and try to  escape, but the burning continues and I die... what a bullshit way to die, I swear I wasn't touching any wires... That's it for 4don for me.

I was afraid this would be the case day 3 which is why I passed right on by without even giving it a glance.. but you are right...it sucks to go that way... sorry that you are done.

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

It's for this reason I really hope we get more Challenge modes added to the game.  A LOT more.  Like dozens.  Short purpose-driven gameplay is a lot of fun.

I couldn't agree more... and maybe more future online events.. as this has really increased the conversation here

28 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

Has anyone actually found a flashlight? I admit I haven't explored much except the ML cabins near camp office.

I brought 1 with me to the cave. But honestly, I think I am too chicken shit to use it if I encounter a Demon Wolf - I'll just be shooting and missing with my rifle ;)

day 4 thoughts ?....

I am really expecting day 4 to get really cold... like I mean really cold.. like coldest recorded temperature in Canada cold -63 C (-81 F).. this would mean that even with a good fire going and reaching the maximum +40 C ambient air temp... you would still need to be dressed to make up the extra +23C.... for the full last day... throw in some clothing shredding wolves and bears... and it smells like fun

7 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Agreed.  I actually chop firewood in short games, since I don't have to worry about hatchet condition on day 500 or whatever.  I find short games are a lot more liberating in that way.  I feel more free to fire my weapons, more free to use my equipment.  It's for this reason I really hope we get more Challenge modes added to the game.  A LOT more.  Like dozens.  Short purpose-driven gameplay is a lot of fun.

I don't even have a hatchet... or a knife.... but I do have 2 whetstones!....  <.<   left those behind at camp office as well as 10 books, 3 pair of trail boots, 2 jerry cans, sewing kits. That's about it. If this was real life I'd've screwed myself by not making 2-3 round trips to stockpile in a cave, but in reality who would think to leave a house like that? Not me. 

37 minutes ago, Mixxut said:

I... just died.....

Don't go in the dam on this day. I entered the dam and walked around it normally. And the all of a sudden I'm starting to burn! I go in to a panic mode and try to  escape, but the burning continues and I die... what a bullshit way to die, I swear I wasn't touching any wires... That's it for 4don for me.

Wow, that sucks, I'm sorry.

I have been a chicken during this event, hiding inside the camp office for day 2 and 3. I really want there to be an extra, hidden reward for those that were braver and explored more during the event.

2 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

day 4 thoughts ?....

I am really expecting day 4 to get really cold... like I mean really cold.. like coldest recorded temperature in Canada cold -63 C (-81 F).. this would mean that even with a good fire going and reaching the maximum +40 C ambient air temp... you would still need to be dressed to make up the extra +23C.... for the full last day... throw in some clothing shredding wolves and bears... and it smells like fun

I say there's a great chance of that happening. Maybe +0 warmth from fires. Maybe starting a fire is extra hard. 

Maybe going to a cave is the absolute worst decision LOL

You know I was thinking... wasn't the patch just like 300MB? Can the game be programmed for all houses to burn down with only 300MB? I guess it could, if it's just programming and no added graphics....

Additional Challenges would be awesome!  I've only been brave enough to work on Nomad and Whiteout but after this 4 Days of Night challenge I just might start one of the more "threatening" ones where I might actually have to confront and kill wolves and bears.  Yikes!  I'm a whimp.  I do love going at my own pace and finding ways to survive.  It's the little achievements that I enjoy like exploring an entire area and still finding something new, or getting enough deer skins to make a pair of pants. 

I have found a flashlight but I have never used one.  Do you just point it at the wolf and hope it runs away?

1 minute ago, Ardawna said:

I have found a flashlight but I have never used one.  Do you just point it at the wolf and hope it runs away?

It provides a cone of light by default, but if you hold RMB it turns into a high powered floodlight.  If you keep that pointed at an aurora wolf for a few seconds if they're close by, they flee for a little while.  But the batteries drain pretty fast when you use the high power mode.

I've been gathering firewood to bring to stash in the Cave to the South of Dave's Quiet Clearing. Today has provided a most harrowing experience! Walking backwards towards a Lake Cabin with three aurora wolves stalking me. Flashlight held in a quivering hand. Turning on the high beams for just an instant, each time one charges. Watching the battery take a dip with each flash, hoping it will last as I desperately try to peak over my should and make sure I'm going the right way... 
Good stuff! 

2 minutes ago, cullam said:

I've been gathering firewood to bring to stash in the Cave to the South of Dave's Quiet Clearing. Today has provided a most harrowing experience! Walking backwards towards a Lake Cabin with three aurora wolves stalking me. Flashlight held in a quivering hand. Turning on the high beams for just an instant, each time one charges. Watching the battery take a dip with each flash, hoping it will last as I desperately try to peak over my should and make sure I'm going the right way... 
Good stuff! 

How do you walk backwards?

15 minutes ago, Ardawna said:

Additional Challenges would be awesome!  I've only been brave enough to work on Nomad and Whiteout but after this 4 Days of Night challenge I just might start one of the more "threatening" ones where I might actually have to confront and kill wolves and bears.  Yikes!  I'm a whimp.  I do love going at my own pace and finding ways to survive.  It's the little achievements that I enjoy like exploring an entire area and still finding something new, or getting enough deer skins to make a pair of pants. 

I was the same for a long time, with the challenges - but they really are SO much fun, do yourself a favor and play them :) Personally, I found Whiteout and Hopeless Rescue the most challenging - because I got cocky and overextended myself near the end :)

36 minutes ago, Mixxut said:

I... just died.....

Oh man.. that really sucks.. so sorry for you, mate.

And that's also why I didn't consider the dam for a base... (up to) 24 hours of non-stop aurora and moving around in the dam just don't go well together.

Speaking of wolves and caves, I apologise in advance for the newbie question, but I was wondering — if a wolf is chasing you and you manage to enter a cave by sprinting away from the wolf, will it follow you inside the cave? Or is there some sort of 'indoor threshold'? Thanks!

–Rick

3 minutes ago, Viking said:

I was the same for a long time, with the challenges - but they really are SO much fun, do yourself a favor and play them :) Personally, I found Whiteout and Hopeless Rescue the most challenging - because I got cocky and overextended myself near the end :)

@Ardawna

yes play Hopeless Rescue... your way...at your own pace. Then play it again... to beat your previous time.. and again to beat that time.. then  play it again after making all the coffee and running always while sloshing down coffees and shoving stims in your arms... to beat that time

Took on a few wolves. Played chicken with one on the bridge. Standing in a spotlight holding the torch and sending him into  panic by flashing the light from time to time and trying to figure out how to shoot him. Funny thing happens though. The aurora isnt quite constant. you can be outside standing in it and it ends abruptly then builds up again. I think I was trying to see how much leeway I had with flashing the torch at the wolf when the light I'm standing in is dimmed and I left the flash a little too late. Bit of a struggle and about 50% condition lost but no bleeding just bruising. Wolf ran about and died from his hatchet wounds.

I then crawled my way to the camp office using ankle sprain ridge to the left of the tracks. The tracks looked like it had about 10 green wolves all up and as I was crawling along one popped his way up along some of the large trackside cliffs near the rail cars so I was pretty glad I wasn't walking upright at that point.

Holed up in the camp office for a bit then went out onto the ice to see if I could peg some green wolves from a distance with the rifle. Wasted about 10 rounds for about 3 kills, was shooting from way too far away but their detection distance even while crouched is rather far. Looks like they can pick you up at about teh distance you start to feel like you might actually be able to pull the trigger.

While out on the ice watched the aurora loop through its cycle and hard stop about 3 or 4 times. when it ends if you're far enough from the wolves they instantly despawn and start from their original cycle again. freaked me out the first time... damn teleporting wolves.

Here's a few screen shots.

20181030214114_1.jpg

20181030210038_1.jpg

20181030195429_1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Morrick said:

Speaking of wolves and caves, I apologise in advance for the newbie question, but I was wondering — if a wolf is chasing you and you manage to enter a cave by sprinting away from the wolf, will it follow you inside the cave? Or is there some sort of 'indoor threshold'? Thanks!

–Rick

No need to apologise.. if you don't know, you don't know.

My understanding is that yes, they can follow you into a cave and attack you.. unless it's a loading-screen cave, of course.

12 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Oh man.. that really sucks.. so sorry for you, mate.

And that's also why I didn't consider the dam for a base... (up to) 24 hours of non-stop aurora and moving around in the dam just don't go well together.

I've been living in the dam since end of day 1. You can walk about the upper levels fine during an aurora, its only down in the generator room and beyond that its a bit electrifying so no going through to PV.  It's ok as a base as it has a large outdoor enclosed area with a couple of semi protected areas for a fire. Inside kind of sucks as its always dark before the aurora that is (can still read and craft though in this mode) but for you to find your way about you need to use your lantern or torches etc - I have 2 Jerry cans of fuel tho so its not a problem or me.

Best thing about it is crawling up to the ledge near the fence and taking pot shots at the wolf as it does its rounds. If I get kicked out of the dam for day 4 the ravine is nice and close with some nice cozy caves

6 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

@Ardawna

yes play Hopeless Rescue... your way...at your own pace. Then play it again... to beat your previous time.. and again to beat that time.. then  play it again after making all the coffee and running always while sloshing down coffees and shoving stims in your arms... to beat that time

I'll do it!  During 4DoN I actually attempted to get to Timberwolf Mountain but there was no rope. :-(  Wasted an entire in game day doing that but it was on Day 1 so I just wasted time and resources. This challenge is really making me much braver and more willing to get out of my comfort zone because ... you have to. I hope to survive today but if I don't, I have learned a ton and am excited to put my new ideas into play.  Thanks for all the comments and ideas everyone!

4 minutes ago, DaveMcD said:

You can walk about the upper levels fine during an aurora, its only down in the generator room and beyond that its a bit electrifying

Hmm.. coulda sworn I'd seen at least a couple of spots on the upper level that had sparking cables during aurora. But then, it's been a good six months since I played TLD, until this event came along.

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Hmm.. coulda sworn I'd seen at least a couple of spots on the upper level that had sparking cables during aurora. But then, it's been a good six months since I played TLD, until this event came along.

I don't think it's the cables, I think it's the generator.

Archived