Water containers

Civrilios

I'm not sure if nobody suggested something like that before, I've checked only the last year.

So, we have a pretty nice and quite realistic cooking system. I believe it's time to take a step forward.

I think water containers should add more realism to the game. I find it riddiculous to obtain dozens of litres of water just by melting the snow or by collecting it from toilet. Where am I keeping it?

I'd be happy to see in the future the plastic bottles filled with water to find as a new object, not just a water... 0,5l and 1l seems to be ok, as we can find water as an item right now. But the bottles shoud degrade in time, or when you use it. Not because the plastic biodegrades, let's be serious... Stored inside, they should be virtually indestructible (infinite lifetime or really low degradation speed), but when used by filling it/drinking from it (crampling (just a thought - a bear/moose attack?...), which eventually results in leakage, completely destroying the bottle and losing water), or when stored outside (beacuse frost can make plastic brittle) they should lose condition.

And, according to above, I find reasonable to be able to craft a water containers from (for example) rabbit skins. Which will lose its condition much faster, will be heavier, but will be a lot easier to obtain in very large amount to gather water supplies in a basecamp.

I believe this idea is a good way to deepen the TLD realism, and, for example, add even more thrill to the bear/moose encounters... just imagine losing your last water container by bear or moose struggle... Thirsty? Start a fire, boil some water in the pot or can, drink it (HOT water to drink straight from pot/can, or, despite the realism, it will be too easy to get warmth?... a new cooking option needed: fill container) - and go find some rabbits. Just imagine the new stories about it!

PS. It will be a nice way to keep the oil gathered from cooked fishes as well. I've asked myself the same question: how did I get the metal can for all this oil? High capacity containers (already existing metal canister, which could be repaired with metal scraps just as pot) or rabbit skin containers sounds good to me.

PPS. 5l wolfskin canister for water/oil supplies sounds reasonable to me as well.

Just a thought after over 500h of gameplay... pls, be forgiving :)

Guest Gamer935

Very awesome idea my favorite bit is that they get damaged like you said when you get attacked by animals or falling down a steep hill or mountain there is water containers in the game (water bottles) but it just adds the water to the big amount of water it would be awesome to see him or her using the bottle 

• 5 months later...

Has this mechanic changed since OP posted or are containers still magically created? I am new to forums so i have not had chance to catch up on mechanics (other than playing) pertaining to versions after 1.0.0.  I had "found" said version and was very (times a million) glad to purchase newest release once i had the opportunity. I am a little boggled as to why, out of what i have read, that this topic has but one response. what am i missing? 

Oh yeah, this is an excellent idea imho. 

I suggested this idea (you need bottles to store water) long ago. But majority of answers are that plastic bottles are easy to get and they are abundant in world, so no problem to get them. Same logic with tea and coffee cups. You have infinite amount of them and can store them in backpack directly. Just gameplay shortcut. 

Also if you cant find bottle for your water, you dead. You can start with one small bottle but you cant save more water in rural areas, where are no human shelters to get a plastic bottles.

Guest kristaok

@ogreranger I don't think it's that Water Bottles or the Water Jug are "magically created", I just think it's more so that they when needed already exist in your characters backpack. For instance when splitting up or dropping some Water to store (whatever) your character drops Water Bottles, instead of dropping their one and only Jug that's used to store their Water from melted snow. 

I see nothing wrong with the system we already have in place, not saying making a Water Container out of Leather is a bad idea or anything, but the system we have now is simpler. I mean I am all for options, I love options, but I do think that adding all of this could complicate things too much, and that's probably why not many people have commented. Either way sometimes people don't comment on every topic for different reasons, maybe they didn't know what to say? or didn't have an opinion on this topic? I am not sure... It could also be that this post is like 6 months old. :P 

On 10/27/2018 at 3:45 PM, Civrilios said:

Where am I keeping it?

As others have said before, plastic bottles would be in no short supply in great bear and implementing a requirement for water bottles (Something I strongly disagree with) adds nothing but monotony to an otherwise well-developed system. All coding challenges aside, TLD isn't the most realistic survival sim out there and nor should it be, my feel for it is that it's a simplified version of survival and adding a requirement for water bottles does nothing for the game.

Archived