Moose killing wolves....

Wintermut

Thanks for your post, Wintermut. Not a feature, no. Moose, while dangerous, don't generally attack other wildlife in The Long Dark.

From the looks of the thread, nobody has reported actually seeing this happen. That said, we'll keep an eye out for issues with moose behaviour! If you at any point see a case of this happening in your game, we'd be really interested in seeing a screenshot or video!

On 10/29/2018 at 12:22 PM, Support said:

Thanks for your post, Wintermut. Not a feature, no. Moose, while dangerous, don't generally attack other wildlife in The Long Dark.

From the looks of the thread, nobody has reported actually seeing this happen. That said, we'll keep an eye out for issues with moose behaviour! If you at any point see a case of this happening in your game, we'd be really interested in seeing a screenshot or video!

Thank you for your reply. I myself have not yet noticed anything like this. However, I haven't been playing an awful lot since moose were added. On an Interloper run I saw a moose north of the PV Farmstead near a bear. They were ignoring each other as expected. There were no wolves near either of them that I could see.

On a custom Stalker-ish run I saw and killed a moose with one arrow just to the north of Moose Overlook in HRV. While there are sometimes supposed to be wolves over by the waterfalls in that general area I didn't see any wolves. I didn't notice any dead wolves though either (except for maybe a dead one in a cave that might have been static). Once I killed and harvested the moose, a couple days later a wolf showed up in the area near the waterfalls. 

I'll keep an eye on this going forward and update if I see any clearer evidence. I just played the 4DON event pretty heavily, unfortunately there were no moose present in the event....

Can't help but wondering if the found carcasses are a resurfacing of the "all-things-killed-reappearing" bug, where carcasses of all wildlife people had killed in long-running games had started suddenly reappearing and littering the the landscape? Though, if I remember correctly those carcasses would all be non-harvestable. Perhaps a new variation on that previous bug?

If mystery carcasses are appearing, we certainly want to be aware of it! We haven't seen anything like this happen in recent versions of the game on our side, but we're keeping an eye out.

Please do let us know if you see this in a version of the game that is up-to-date and verifying your files doesn't seem to have an impact!

On 11/7/2018 at 10:49 AM, Support said:

If mystery carcasses are appearing, we certainly want to be aware of it! We haven't seen anything like this happen in recent versions of the game on our side, but we're keeping an eye out.

Please do let us know if you see this in a version of the game that is up-to-date and verifying your files doesn't seem to have an impact!

As I read this thread I'm reminded of something I experienced quite a few versions ago. For whatever reason, I had to alt+F4 out of the game and when I started it back up and loaded my last save, I would find duplicates of items I had yet to pick up. So in this case the save was inside Quonset, I picked up a firestriker that I missed during my first pass and was surprised when I found another one that I could pick up from the exact same spot. With that I was able to stockpile like a half dozen firestrikers.

I'm not a programmer/developer so I don't know how or why that happened. I guess it could be an exploit but again this happened a few years ago, so maybe its not even possible to do anymore.

Archived