Top 5 things i want for christmas

Atheenon

1. Craftable headgear(see item 2)

2. Beavers to make said headgear. These would be a trappable only animal. You would have to locate their habitat on a river and set up traps for them. You would never see a live one.

3. A way to preserve meat. Take collecting salt from certain mines to combine with meat and make it last longer, but it would make you more thirsty

4. Alternativly a way to create a smoker that you could smoke fish in.

5. Craftable containers.

What would you wish for????

1 everyone agrees

2 Why bother with beavers when we have hundreds of unused wolf and rabbit pelts? The most frequently killed animals in the game (apart from interloper characters) only have one use.

3 This is popular too and for good reasons, but there's something many people fail to notice. The ocean. It's not like we'd lack salt.

Since we're getting an entire new region and probably the bear spear, I'd be happy with a Rabbit hat.

If anything more, an overhaul of the fishing and forging mechanics would be ace. I'm sure I've heard before that Raph has some of these in mind.

Preserving food would entail a revamp of the cooking skill to remove the ability to eat ruined meat and probably the 50% condition gain back from cooking. Otherwise, there's little point in the mechanic.

1) Craftable stick-storage - kinda done with dropping 60 sticks on the ground and then clicking to pick them up

2) Better ability to place items (closer), rotate, etc. (I know there's a [beep] for this, but I don't like [beep]s).

For a hat, maybe it's a raccoon hat.  You have to leave food in garbage cans outside your abode, then spot them at night by their reflective eyes.  Too smart to trap, you need to hit them with an arrow.

I'm pretty simple...

1.  more uses for rabbit, deer and wolf pelts... Annuraaq, hats, pants, cloak, gloves, bedroll....no reason why a wolf skin can only make a coat, or moose a cloak.... animal hide snow shelter, teepee.. placeable immovable storage container/sack

1. The hat slot is the only one without an animal-crafted gear (frostbite-able).  The Rabbit and the Wolf are the only two wildlife with only one use ( the Mitts, the Jacket) I propose [Rabbit pelt *2 + 1 Wolf pelt + 2 Cured Gut]. Which means on Loper you can't craft it before being able to kill a wolf. It'd have same stats as a Tuke, but of course more weight (1kg?), and a slower decay.

2. If Santa Claus could allow us to make jerky, that's be great. To replace cattails as non-smelly travel food. You take Raw Venison, Cook it, and let it "cure" inside for 15 days. Same calories, less weight, less decay.

3. A thermos system, not relying on teas and coffees to get the warmup bonus.

3 hours ago, BareSkin said:

1. The hat slot is the only one without an animal-crafted gear (frostbite-able).

I would just like to offer: if the stated intent of a non-craftable head-slot is that the game is supposed to be terminally harder, rather than perpetually survivable, then I'm all for there not being a craftable head-slot.

I'm sure this is not a popular opinion, as a self-elected champion of the artistic/philosophical vision of the game, my vote is for whatever the creators had in mind.

Just now, NardoLoopa said:

my vote is for whatever the creators had in mind.

We completely agree. If it was said it's made on purpose to make sure Cloth is still of value, good for me. But I don't think so, and I'm pretty sure they'd be happy with a survival game in which you could continue to live forever without relying on "civilized" stuff.

A new animal would be lovely
More crafted clothing options, yes please
Triumphant return of Burning Brands and ABOLITION of campfire-harvested torches, hurrah!
Ability to break down cans into scrap, maybe?
Ability to choose cardboard matches for lighting torches, even if you have wood matches in your inventory at the same time: Crazy!
Ability to cancel the firestarting process - why was this ever changed, why?

All that said, we're going to be getting a new episode of Wintermute and (I think?) a new map to go with it, so that's pretty good already.

1 minute ago, gnomegnine said:

because the fact that you could cancel firestarting and have the fire magically disappear is dumb

Why is it dumb?
The fire magically disappears if the ignition is a failure. How would canceling it be any different from that?

On 23/10/2018 at 10:51 PM, Pillock said:

More crafted clothing options, yes please
Triumphant return of Burning Brands and ABOLITION of campfire-harvested torches, hurrah!
Ability to break down cans into scrap, maybe?
Ability to choose cardboard matches for lighting torches, even if you have wood matches in your inventory at the same time: Crazy!
Ability to cancel the firestarting process - why was this ever changed, why?

All that said, we're going to be getting a new episode of Wintermute and (I think?) a new map to go with it, so that's pretty good already.

Agree on all counts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Ralph...er...I mean Santa

Here is my Christmas list for this coming year of TLD:

1.  More items to forage (for food and crafting).
2.  More staple items - cans of peaches are great but a 25 lb sack of rice or beans would be awesome!
3.  The Golden Axe/Knife - it never degrades and is always 100% sharp!
4.  Snow shoes/cross country skiis - makes you move faster, something you could craft, maybe move more swiftly across thin ice.
5.  A pull sledge - you can put deer/wolf carcasses in it and haul a ton  of wood. Again, maybe something you can craft.
I hope you find the plate of warm cookies and cold milk I set out for you. The carrots are for the reindeer!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

1.Luckily the craftable headgear is coming. :D

2.I doubt that Hinterland would want to enable beavers for hunting in TLD. Beavers in north america are endangered, because they were once hunted almost into extinction. And much of the canadian ecosystem is dependant on them. And its a canadian national symbolic animal. Yea, I dont think this one will fly :D and as much as I am one for realism, I dont think I would want to see beavers hunted, even if their fur was once widely used for caps. But othervise, a very interesting idea :) I never even considered beavers as an animal to be used for caps, and in a way, it makes a LOT of sense. So props to you, OP.

3.I see no issue with adding salt. Though boiling it out of sea water would make more sense. But I dont think it is neccesary addition right now. It is not that long ago since cooking was refurbished. Adding salt and meat preservation sounds like it could be a part of some bigger cooking overhaul in my opinion. I would love to see it one day, though :)

4.Same goes for being able to craft a smoker. And other simple constructs to cure and smoke meat, maybe other kinds of shelters, different kinds of campfires, etc. There is so much potential there. Naturally, in order to craft these, you would need to reach a certain level in the respective skill - like lets say level 3 cooking would allow the player to build smoke stacks for smoking meat and fish, etc. Firestarting could create more elaborate fireplaces which would either consume less firewood, or create more heat, or would be more wind-resistant, etc. So much potential :)

5.I absolutedly agree! Be it baskets, or just some primitive dug-up ice&stick outside box for storing meat in the outside conditions, those would be really nice to have. Additionally, I would like to see predators steal non-stored meat outside some day. To force players to build these ice boxes by their bases and protect the meat, and since the space in these boxes would be limited, they would need to be repaired once in a while, it would limit the ability of players to hoard loads of meat for long time.

I wish for a looooooooot of things. :D Most of all, I think I would like to see some Medical overhaul to the game. Making some afflictions be less common "cough, cough, sprains" but also make some affliction become more of a "progressive" thing. As in, if you dont heal some of your afflictions, they would worsen over the time, and eventually would become a permanent damage, or deadly dangerous. Maybe combine it with some new "condition" that the player would have to be careful about - "sanity" - which would be damaged if the player is not doing too well, is miserable for a long time, gets attacked by animals a lot etc - and something that would be regained by reading (even casual reading of books), succesful completion of tasks like cooking, harvesting, skinning, crafting, etc. Something like this could solve a LOT of the current issues with the game, starting with the "ever starving" strategies, ending with "people getting bored in the endgame".

• 1 month later...

Now that Xmas is over and I have my hats...

1, I'd love a craftable wood box. 2-4 reclaimed wood, 2-4 metal, and you make a wood frame for sticks and lumber. Outside only, like fire or snowshelters. Just something to manage my sticks. Pic below of a sample, but obviously only a 1/4 or less of the size. Enough for 200 sticks.

2, Ability to remove fires and ruined snow shelters. My number 1 thing that I wish could be done to add more fun is to allow the player more freedom to move about the world, but unfortunately snow shelters are so hard to place and find locations that are out of path of predators that once you set one up that location is sometimes a deadzone once you leave long enough to have your shelter ruined. Maybe I just need to get better at always taking them down.... 

669ebfd25f333b913cb0d88a564ebb1e

Yeah, when it comes to shelters, once I'm ready to move on I dismantle them. Sure, it's costly in terms of cloth, but it beats coming back four months later and not being able to use the old one because it's done or build a new one because the space is no longer available due to the old one.

Being able to dismantle a ruined shelter without getting any resources back out would go a long way to resolving this. However, until it starts to work that way... I'm takin' 'em apart when I'm done with 'em.

Guest hoasd1
On 10/24/2018 at 3:51 AM, Pillock said:

i agree with this,but i think the cougar is a planned wildlife :D

Archived