BareSkins Are Sleepwalking

BareSkin

BareSkin11- D72 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Routine day, shroom dose, and at dusk I hear footsteps: I go check, 3 deers at my doorstep! Shoot one arrow, too long, next one hits, deer bleeds out, of course it finishes on a slope.. but not too far, that’s OK. Lose 1% to cold while tracking the blood. Harvesting will be for tomorrow.

screen_72da91fa-3b2c-4ac1-82ae-dc90e12c2e05_hi.thumb.png.09341c6a3fd5e01e7351bfca05759eea.png

BareSkin11- D73 [Sleepwalker level 1]

I headshot another deer and wait one hour to quarter the first one. I can’t use a fire, so I don’t use one: I manage to quarter it, with an indoor warmup in between the two tries. I think it’s my level 5 carcassing that allows me that quarter it frozen, maybe? Haul the bags back to my doorstep.

screen_631aa05c-2706-4d9e-8f93-c926ead7b988.thumb.png.8c937bbb2db90464360368f83ce57174.png

Same process for the second one, in a wonderful day of FL-12, but when going for the quartering finish, the Moose has spawned just right here, in front of my door! Decide I finish what I began, then warmup, then I’ll try to long shoot the moose maybe? The only protected place is in the green shack, and it has no view on the Moose place.

screen_b792caf6-752d-4ae4-8351-b86d1a20cc04.thumb.png.0ff4fbb6380e91f3478976a3778900ca.png

I’ll shoot from my door, I miss 4 arrows before hitting, the beast charges! OK, same behavior as the bear, let’s just go inside. I warm up a bit, when I go outside the Moose is here as if nothing ever happened. Try to shoot it again, but miss and have to go inside, too cold.

Next time I head outside, the Moose is just here, like literally where I dropped the deer bags, he’s angry at me and charges. I experience once more this strange kinda-bug: the UI says I have sprained wrist before the game loads the indoors, and when indoors, I have nothing. Now, I’m too afraid to go outside! I drink my reishi cold (3 doses left) and sleep 1h for warmup.

When I head out, same thing: the moose is perfectly fine at its spawn point. Hum, that’s frustrating. I hit it again, it charges again, go indoors again. After maybe 2 or 3 more attempts, I headshot it.

I spent my night going quartering it a bit, and coming back to warmup/sleep 1h. That’s an aurora night, it makes it very festive, but I can’t finish quartering it before it makes the process not fun due to coldness of the late night.

screen_ae44146d-035e-43d7-b2f8-9c4213a486f0_hi.thumb.png.8739e679794d1e51694394ab818787cb.png

• Upvote 3

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, BareSkin said:

I think it’s my level 5 carcassing that allows me that quarter it frozen, maybe?

I think you "can" always quarter frozen animals since it requires a tool anyways. 

3 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

I experience once more this strange kinda-bug: the UI says I have sprained wrist before the game loads the indoors, and when indoors, I have nothing.

I think that's actually a racing condition in the code. Your "state" is passed to the indoor scene, which then begins loading, but the outdoor scene isn't yet "destroyed" and still running. So if anything happens to your state after that, the indoor scene isn't aware of that. Then once returning the outdoor scene is created again with the state passed from indoors. It's a bit like beaming in Star Trek. It's you afterwards, but it's not really you

7 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

After maybe 2 or 3 more attempts, I headshot it.

Quite a kill! Congrats! That's like how much days of food? 10?

Just now, jeffpeng said:

I think you "can" always quarter frozen animals since it requires a tool anyways. 

I'm sure you can't, some days before that in the same run I couldn't quarter a frozen wolf on a slope. Very frustrating.

1 minute ago, jeffpeng said:

Quite a kill! Congrats! That's like how much days of food? 10?

Stay tuned! Sure the food will  not be a problem anymore, but that was the case with the deers already. To me the Moose is a potential very high gain on my fuel trips: much more sticks for each warmth bar.

Edited by BareSkin
  • Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

I'm sure you can't, some days before that in the same run I couldn't quarter a frozen wolf on a slope. Very frustrating.

Guess I gotta check. I actually didn't succumb to the usefulness of quarterning until you enlightened me. And now I have no tools living the homeless life on TWM :D

Just now, jeffpeng said:

Guess I gotta check. I actually didn't succumb to the usefulness of quarterning until you enlightened me.

It's rarely used on stalker, because the temperatures are quite nice, there's more food and fuel, etc... On Loper it's rarely used because it's hard enough to only survive, even without going to a Forge. Quartering is useful IMO only on Interloper late game (which is rare, by definition). That's when the cold/weather and the fuel becomes a bigger problem than food, and you have the tools, and can can afford more Scent cause wildlife is on vacation.

On 19/11/2018 at 7:37 PM, Sito said:

Your adventures make for a very good read! Keep them up. I'm sure many others enjoy them also but are shy to post.

* Nods in agreement. 

I call this mode Interloper as it should've been, which frankly it is. Loper is a breeze, I wonder if Hinterland could rebalance loper to account for excessive sleep healing and starving or even expand to another standard hardened difficulty mode(call it spetsnaz). I'd vote for sleepwalker SW3 with a very high calorie burn rate added as a modifier. 

Grats on that moose! And yes, any carcass that is more than 50% frozen cannot be quartered, regardless of your skill level I'm afraid. 

Keep churning out the episodes, I know they take time to write and organize but it's been a great read.  :coffee:

Edited by Dan_
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

I call this mode Interloper as it should've been

This is the definition of a compliment, thanks!

46 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

expand to another standard hardened difficulty mode(call it spetsnaz). I'd vote for sleepwalker SW3 with a very high calorie burn rate added as a modifier. 

I'm actually thinking of an SWx.5 mode, with all Interloper except the recovery rates (none+low). Having High fatigue instead of Medium is penalizing, but less than the Calorie burn so yes, I might call it SW3.5-Spetsnaz if you accept being the godfather of this mode. For sure the next sleepwalker will try such mode! If Bareskin11 ever stop :D

Edited by BareSkin

BareSkin11- D74 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Quartering finished: 12 guts, one moose hide, some meat bags. I didn’t even begin processing the deer bags, OMG… There’s some work to do: 5 rabbits, 2 deers, 1 moose to harvest.

screen_6c9aea09-2b1b-4692-970c-53c762067d9d.thumb.png.0c104b787844246fb458a7a9c9011e04.png

Start with the rabbits. Harvesting guts? Ain’t nobody got time for this! Sunlight at noon, but foggy 10 seconds later when I come back with some sticks… A third deer is here, but I see no reason to kill it. I spend a match since it’s medium fog (no mag lens, but no winds), the fist deer meat is at 50% decay already, I have to cook it. 1h later, blizzard is here and I’m exhausted anyway, the Fatigue penalty from the pararsites becomes a handicap. Took my daily dose, good boy.

2n5jx1.jpg.4d4781179afbe22908b26d28290d51f2.jpg

BareSkin11- D75 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Regular morning blizzard (36th ), I begin harvesting moose bags while fearing the comeback of cabin fever. Spent the day harvesting moose bags, took my shrooms like a good boy. The deer is till around, I like to have something alive near me. 2 ruined snares have been replaced. 40% of my fatigue bar is missing. And 10% of health one of course, but nobody cares. Lost 3% for forgetting to eat, total 28%. The place is a real mess.

screen_e4eeea7b-58aa-41ea-af77-856e8a40ab0e_hi.thumb.png.da9b298e490c4e8f1ddd775e9ee062c8.png

screen_d47c8b4d-2a00-4ab3-a26f-b4c7bdb99045.thumb.png.f70ad5bc94655c97e83f7281e0c5bc83.png

BareSkin11- D76 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Take my last shroom tea early in the morning to start healing again asap. Both red bars on health and fatigue vanish instantaneously, nice! Few moments later… +1% health! I’m not on deadman mode anymore, and it feels great. Blizzard all day long, like yesterday, only 2L of water left.

screen_7aed6662-7aef-476c-82c3-73bb68d55bca.thumb.png.1366281b3780f989d3336951b1a06dc3.pngscreen_012d29c1-fa65-4220-97a7-672ebe13405c.thumb.png.0857551a6840ca7ed6986834401bcc91.png

BareSkin11- D77 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Wake up with 39% health in a sunny afternoon. I make 4L water, then cook, cook, cook… the winds are strong but the fire holds,I’m lucky today. Winds end up killing the fire just before midnight. Cooked nearly everything.

screen_0e2cfde6-95ef-4373-94c4-9b5da78f544e_hi.thumb.png.eed2c59e3986394c6944525809a92777.png

I immediately Whatsapp this pic to my fellow deadmens. Troll, you say?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BareSkin said:

This is the definition of a compliment, thanks!

I'm actually thinking of an SWx.5 mode, with all Interloper except the recovery rates (none+low). Having High fatigue instead of Medium is penalizing, but less than the Calorie burn so yes, I might call it SW3.5-Spetsnaz if you accept being the godfather of this mode. For sure the next sleepwalker will try such mode! If Bareskin11 ever stop :D

I'm flattered but the honor and credit should be always bestowed upon the creative mind, sleepwalker it is. 

I'm not gonna lie, I'm envious of your moose kill, my deadman is starving like a street dog. :D

• Upvote 1

BareSkin11- D78 [Sleepwalker level 1]

49% health, I wake up at noon in a beautiful sunny day, I finish cooking the raw meat chunks. Mid-afternoon blizzard put my fire down to 9 minutes, but turns and let me finish, just lost some fuel. Fire ends up as expected, killed in early night by the blizzard: only 7ks uncooked left. Wonder if cooking level 5 protects from food poisoning even if the meat is uncooked. That’d be nonsense.

screen_76fe4566-5bdf-426a-94d6-09975db5be9b_hi.thumb.png.e5463630d1151a4177ce275fb767f3aa.png

Pedro is doing fine

BareSkin11- D79 [Sleepwalker level 1]

As usual, wake up at noon, 60% health, I have no more fuel. Cured wolves, 3 cured deers, 33 cured guts, 18 cloths: clothing should be OK. 7 arrows, 16 arrowheads, 5 cured maple, 6 cured birchs and 22 arrow shafts: weapons should be OK. 35+ kg of cooked meat (+10 uncooked): stomach should be OK. 4 whetstones, 4 sewing kits, 2 knives, 2hammers 1 hatchet, 1 toolbox, 33matches, mag lens: tooling should be OK.

The thing that the game still refused me is a wolfskin Jacket. Grandma’s fog is back: 30 sticks in the hills, plus 16 on next tempbar toward the wolf place (empty).

screen_0f7334b5-6879-46c7-b00b-23cddd4f0492_hi.thumb.png.eeecc5781303bf44e39a44ff83e2c939.png

Hotel California

BareSkin11- D80 [Sleepwalker level 1]

70% health, sunny noon: let’s try to maglens the rest of the raw moose. Everything goes as planned, very sunny and warm day. Live rabbit at the wolf site: maybe there’s a wolf too? FL-12, I can go check moonwalking. A rabbit, a deer, but no wolf. Wildlife is so rare now, I screenshot everything that is alive.

I’m swimming in cured gut and meat so I don’t even replace the two ruined snares. I have only one left, and I’ll keep one to have rabbit carcasses wolfbaits. My brain tells me to go back to the Lake to hunt wolves, but my heart says no – I remember BareSkin7.

BareSkin11- D81 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Health back to 80%, I transfer to the Pond Cabin in hopes a finding some fuel, and letting the Trapper’s one renew, and maybe find something alive? I transfer at noon without cold damage, since the strong winds come from behind the map border mountains. Nothing alive, but I come back with 34 sticks. They are golden.

• Upvote 3

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, BareSkin said:

Wonder if cooking level 5 protects from food poisoning even if the meat is uncooked. That’d be nonsense.

It doesn't. Had the same idea once, tried it, got sick - for science.

Pedro is doing fine

:D

BareSkin11- D82 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Craft a new bow through a blizzard, 91% health. Grab the 2 new snares, plus the one that is active, some cured guts, many calories, repair the Light Shell and head for Camp Office in the evening.

I drive a deer until until the railway, but of course I get chased just after, by a wolf that makes me drop my meat, it’s afraid by my arrow, but the meat has become inaccessible on a slope, I was coming from high ground and now I can’t go back. Blizzard kicks in, so I run towards Camp office with only a part of my meat, but got barked at again. Arriving at Camp Office: lost 7% to cold, left 3kg of food outside but still have 1.5k, lost 1 arrow I could find back on the first wolf.

Can’t go check the old snares of putting new ones due to blizzard, but I took enough materials to craft 3 more arrows (total 10).

BareSkin11- D83 [Sleepwalker level 1]

2 wolves are patrolling the entry of the lake, and I left 2 ruined rabbit meat here: that’s perfect. I miss 3 shots before needing a warmup pause. At noon, once warm, sun is here and I’ll get dehydrated, so I postpone the wolf hunt to use another weapon: my mag lens. Any way, the wolves have left the place, but there’s a deer. I herd it a bit, then shoot, the deer bleeds but go die in direction of the Dam.

I spent the rest of the day unsuccessfully hunting wolves. In the evening the deer carcass spawns where I shot it, my arrow does the same. I start quartering it but can’t finish, I sleep on my last piece of rabbit meat., and cabin fever is back.

screen_50e5c171-f245-4832-9af3-550616675b27_hi.thumb.png.4e89912bf434506fb95cccee701298e1.png

BareSkin11- D84 [Sleepwalker level 1]

CF 28% risk, health 90%, but I’m starved. Morning blizzard, the 43rd. More than 1 every two days. I begin harvesting the deer bags (for free, I’m starved) while switching indoor/outdoors. Back to hunting wolves, I wait for a maglens occasion to start a fire for cooking and benefit the fire protection while harvesting outside. It’s snowing all day long, I spend a match in the evening while fog is dropping on us all (me, the wolves), spend a fir firewood I stocked here in the early game.

I kill one wolf with head shot, the second one by bleeding, no idea where it is. When the fire dies 1h later, my wolf kills count goes to up to 5. Hope it’s not too far, it has an arrow of mine!

screen_e47109b0-8ec7-4f31-9796-bb843b6b9c25_hi.thumb.png.0c78240e07374716bf812e7c6a25a3e8.png

• Upvote 2

BareSkin11- D85 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Go grab the 3 snares at Overlook (1 ruined), cause I'm a mean guy but I’m environment-friendly and don’t want to pollute the place, hear crows: that 5th wolf is dead at the river entry, and there’s another wolf patrolling the area. In the warm evening I grab back the meat I dropped to save my life near the railway, no more wolves in the railway/deadfall area.

screen_fcb595b0-9773-4ec7-85a6-6a339b65d02c_hi.thumb.png.332f8644f02a4c1902838dfda126a123.png

The crows of that stupid 5th wolf (must be his spawn point I guess), made me lose an arrow for nothing!

Warmed up, I take wolf meat as wolfbait and head to the Cabins. Some cattails on the way, shoot a wolf while grandm’as fog is wrapping me, FL-12 the wolf doesn’t come back, I suppose he’s dead, can’t check the journal while outside. In the cabin, there’s 32 sticks, a rifle book and work boots. Love the sticks, and I’ll take the rifle Book too, to add to my Trapper’s collection, for when I have visitors stay overnight.

screen_637c1722-1839-4e77-9e47-f426ee9e9d85.thumb.png.9d2ab32f26582ba1ea262b2c9c45615a.png

Find some blood on a sticks run, check the Journal: 6 wolves killed. The traces end up nowhere, but there are unusual crows on the lake, needs to be checked tomorrow. 80 sticks in the trunk, I should be able the manage the carcass fire.

BareSkin11- D86 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Wake up with 92%, bad weather, can’t go at the carcass with this blizzard menace over my head. Late afternoon, still light snow but no winds, I try my luck. Everything goes fine, here is my 4th wolf pelt. Crafting a wolfskin Jacket would make BareSkin11 a better survivor than his older brother, the mythical Seventh.

screen_e87d7b1c-7306-46ea-81d7-d849d512160c_hi.thumb.png.0d79adf01b473f732ee9838e7171cc6d.png

Back at Camp Office I read Advanced Guns Gun Guns by M.L. Fisher (=fisherman of Mystery Lake?) just for the fun of it. OMG it’s a 25h book, a nice find for blizzard days, better than Tolstoï.

BareSkin11- D87 [Sleepwalker level 1]

At noon, there’s a blizzard outside and the book helped me go to ...100% health! Cabin fever is at 37%

BareSkin11- D88 [Sleepwalker level 1]

I’m at the bear cabin. The lake is silent now. It feels good. New blizzard, 47th. More reading. It’s all about routine now, I pass time on filled stomachs with 100% health, waiting for some pelts to cure. Back to Camp Office with lots of fuel. There’s a wolf on the railroad. Maglens fire at noon, was dehydrated. Hope I can draw the nearby wolf to me with all my smelly wolf meat.

I miss a hundred times at put my bow at 38% with absolutely zero hits. Doesn't really matter, as I don't need any part of this wolf, just fighting boredom.

BareSkin11- D89 [Sleepwalker level 1] - No entry in the Journal. When you can miss a day, it says something

BareSkin11- D90 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Just got Achievement: Living Off the Land during 4DON. Funny, there's nearly no wildlife anymore anyway in Bareskin11 run. Hit the railroad wolf: the arrow breaks. Change strategy when the sun offers me to make a campfire in a more open area: results are here, wolf drops dead on the first shot. But it did win the right to die with a ruined piece of raw rabbit in his mouth, that's something.

screen_c7a595da-d01a-457f-a615-7a60cca871c7_hi.thumb.png.86615cdb623569969036f866e4db08af.png

BareSkin11- D91 [Sleepwalker level 1] - No entry in the Journal. When you can miss two days, it says something. It's hard to track, there's no calendar anymore, all days are the same, the weeks are a pure human concept. Only days and years are natural units. I should start counting the moons, like in 4DON, and all ancient civilizations.

BareSkin11- D92 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Get an other railroad wolf in a perfect evening weather. 4 pelts since I arrive at Camp Office. Evening maglens to finish cooking and making some water, to leave the place welcoming if I ever come back.

BareSkin11- D93 [Sleepwalker level 1]

The small colored Christmas festive LEDs in Camp Office don’t light up during an aurora. I fell very sad about it but still read the 21st hour of “Guns, Guns, Guns”.

screen_18b1b6d2-874e-4fa6-a664-7f3574ce12e8_hi.thumb.png.375f2c08e1420cb4103c1a2c84cdc4fc.png

BareSkin11- D94 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Trapped in the Office by blizzards, I finish the book. Good thing I made excessive water, there’s no sun for 48h.

• Upvote 2

BareSkin11- D95 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Transfer to the bear cabin on the other side of the make, running in the cold morning, starved. I run with 2 fresh guts on me, but nobody cares.

screen_36f3b36f-c94c-4ff6-9917-0378693ad26f_hi.thumb.png.408d0eccb49307de624659d379b44a72.png

I am now truly alone

Beautiful day, I go grab the rope on far Lake that brings you to Rail Tunnel. Harvest a Maple, some OMBLs and a rabbit I harvest in the cave (2 hardwoods). 1h sleep later, the weather is pre-blizzardy and I don’t have much left on water bar: I decide I leave every smelly here and get the hell outta here before being trapped in a cave night with no sticks.

I drive a deer toward Trapper’s, then hear a wolf complaining very near, I guess in its regular patrol zone around Max: sorry dude, no time for you right now, I’m freezing. We’ll be introduced later, don’t worry.

screen_adf76147-e188-4623-8e45-bc2cc565c459.thumb.png.9df404f98f7a2d0abb7ac112500eb177.png

Arrived at Trapper’s, I decorate my home a bit: drop the second maglens near my pillow, I’m getting old and those books are written so small… I also give a second pairs of socks to Pedro, my fellow companion that never leaves the chair. “Survive the Outdoors” is our favorite book. He refuses the baseball cap, he prefers the Tuke that has been bear-blessed. Pedro is of Russian origins but like the Maple leaf better than the Yankee sport. He started being named Pedro in Cuba, sometimes he wakes up in his sleep shouting “Viva la revolución!”, his left fist in the air.

screen_114aaeba-e4b9-4133-a553-7f7ade462b25_hi.thumb.png.caa045d98b26e77293d5b5d4a5b4d8e3.png

Faithful Pedro. We often make jokes about the women that left us alone.

BareSkin11- D96 [Sleepwalker level 1]

I start crafting my wolf jacket, it will heal me since I’m on calories. And in the evening I’ll try to take care of the deer/wolf combo. Sunny noon, I head outside for maglens water, and clear cabin fever. Everything is so easy when you have fuel…

In the evening, stick and wolf run, I push the rabbit towards the wolf… oooops, that’s TWO wolves. Same mistakes again and again, right? Immediately go back to my home to take what’s needed for a defensive fire. Two deers have spawned, I just look at how they beautifully move, with majesty. It’s nightfall, I hope the wolves will be here again tomorrow.

BareSkin11- D97 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Morning snare rabbit, that’s perfect, I have one more wolfbait. Cabin Fever back, of course, the indoor crafting… Going outside with the rabbit carcass, it immediately draws the 2 wolves from behind the hill. OK, drop the rabbit, start a maglens defensive fire in the burned barn for protection.

First shot hits, the wolf runs away with my arrow. Second hit (second wolf) misses. Second try on the second wolf is a perfect shot. The 2 deer at looking at the scene with passion: they like to see wolves being hunted. They applaud and post the video on Deerstagram, #YouTooCanGetHunted.

screen_bc8e2952-cad1-4cf5-85ab-f7760fc78f7a_hi.thumb.png.28add798e8bf380c5d6ed95bcfdacaac.png

1h later the second wolf dies according to my journal, and I understand why it doesn’t come back to me despite the rabbit carcass and the fresh gut. The winds are too strong to go find it, but I clear cabin fever and stockpile water with the fire.

BareSkin11- D98 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Morning blizzard: continue crafting the jacket. Quarter the second wold, identify crows at the rabbit place: I find it, take a selfie and send it on rabbitchat to the 2 rabbits that are still alive. Sleep 9h then craft in the aurora: “requires light to craft”...OK I guess the aurora is not enough, you need an electrical light. More sleeping.

screen_e8e0e766-d059-4f50-b8fb-b4f0f659c44e_hi.thumb.png.75e560508a93aa50bfe3a3849706cfeb.png

BareSkin11- D99 [Sleepwalker level 1] - This day is all about crafting, and commemorating the ones who fell before us on Day 100 to protect a nameless fishing hut from evil assaults. Namely Bareskin7

Edited by BareSkin
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

BareSkin11- D100 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Happy Birthday! According to my freshly-made rules, you're completed SW1 challenge! You’re officially as old as the great BareSkin7! Here’s your present: the WolfSkin Jacket. Straight +4°C bonus compared to your light shell. Don’t worry about your 24% knife buddy, we have whetstones (and another knife, just in case)!

screen_0c91f27e-21bc-46b5-8dae-20c862178185.thumb.png.ed34ed0c86da645d2e64cac50fc8089d.png

70% whetstone gives you roughly 65% of your knife back, so I will recall 1 stone= 1 knife. Tomorrow, we start the Moose Satchel.

BareSkin11- D101 [Sleepwalker level 1] No entry- Satchel crafting, most probably

BareSkin11- D102 [Sleepwalker level 1]

I’m so warm now in a grandma’s fog that I can harvest the branches near Max, it’s always been out of reach till today. More than 100 sticks in the locker now, 20+L of water, 30+kg meat.

BareSkin11- D103 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Moose Hide Satchel finished! Sunny day, cook and clear Cabin Fever, start the second deer pants. The Combat pants are better and I have tons of cloth and hooks, but I want to feel like the Mad Max of the North.

screen_ff02c6b3-55d6-4917-9dad-24a28fe53e8f.thumb.png.f3532c488688e3568d1c53c197c36a64.png

BareSkin11- D106 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Finished the second pants, total +26°C (+17+9) bonus temperature. Still 20kg of meat. Can’t start the next jacket yet, waiting for last pelt (97%).

BareSkin11- D109 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Finished the second wolf coat. Pedro feels much better not that he somehow has a torso. CF 52%. Next step: bear hunt?

screen_8dffa0ea-83c5-4ee8-94cb-212d7c46416a.thumb.png.9e3cc5c3d24b0ed55fb1520d78c64cad.png

BareSkin11- D111 [Sleepwalker level 1]

I’m literally sleepwalking to clear Cabin Fever risk: 1h sleeping, 1h passing time outside. Cabin Fever likes indoor crafting. I’m smoothing my indoor/outdoor proportion curve.

BareSkin11- D112 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Water stockpile is over, I shouldn’t miss next sunlight. CF down to 7%. Oops, forgot I had 12L on a shelf. No hurry. Good news, cause I face my 58th blizzard the rest of the day. Cleared CF, meat stocks are nearly over, back to 10 arrows, time for bear hunting! Nice FL-10 afternoon fog, let’s go! The Force is still with me, good news.

screen_cb3984f7-32b1-43a7-bdb5-6bb740f09507.thumb.png.f8a3af578367b0058bb374b3bf7e1b61.png

"Do, or do not. There is no try"

At the pond, I find wildlife, I like it. I feel less alone. Only rabbits and deers. Drive a deer near the Pond Cabin, and miss it 4 times, and pay it with -26% health to freezing and lose 1 arrow in the process. I’m really a bad hunter.

• Upvote 1

BareSkin11- D113 [Sleepwalker level 1]

59th blizzard. Evening is calm, back to the pond I find an arrow. I guess the one that killed the bear that mauled me a long time ago. I end up shooting the deer, and it runs away. Back a the cabin, match-torch-fire for water.

BareSkin11- D114 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Find 2 live deers at the pond, but yesterday one was bleeding out… well, this hunting is really broken with indoor/outdoors transitions. I wonder were is my arrow.

BareSkin11- D115 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Still no bear today, but this time the poor deer looses. My new animal clothes and a nice Grandma’s fog let me quarter the poor beast without even suffering hyporisk. Knife is down to 30%, but both pants and both coats are crafted now so it’s not that bad.

screen_28343229-37bf-4455-bfef-be5e8f5b5bb0_hi.thumb.png.75463ea6301b9c28d1c52393bdbba18a.png

BareSkin11- D116 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Morning sticks run, I find a broken arrow near the toilets next to the Cabin. The one I sent to the deer that didn’t bleed out to death? I politely salute the corpse here, put back his frozen pants: assbite is not funny. I’ll remember to continue peeing (and else) in the metal bucket of the cabin. Bow is at 26%., health 82%. No bear at the pond today, but maglens available just before noon, just right when I was starting to starve.

I’ll at last be able to cook the deer. I love the meat sound when I put it in the pot. When the fire dies in early afternoon, I have a little second base, with food, water and sticks: maybe I could go check the bear north towards logging camp?

This is a true fiasco: I explore the map limit but don’t find any cave, I end up frozen at Clearcut with double sprain (I heal the wrist to keep my bow), seen rabbits and deers, decide to head back against the winds with a maple and a birch to cure. Rabbit and wolf in front of my cabin when I get back. Warm up in bed, then try to introduce the 2 of them, I take 2 fresh guts with me.

Of course the bunny disappeared (good for him). The wolf aligns perfectly while coming for the fresh gut, headshot on second arrow. The bunny is back, it was hiding somewhere. Clever guy/gal. Wolf of 3.2kg only, it’s economic crisis for everyone.

screen_2b4909ef-04dc-434a-85b5-ece8fd3120d3_hi.thumb.png.3627f727e8fd09ef1088a279d2b39eb7.png

See this little fella in the background, he came back from god knows where the very second the wolf dropped dead

BareSkin11- D116 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Medium fog, light snow: Bear weather. Is it bear day? FL-32 in the morning, but I go check the Pond. I hear bear walking (I think), but can’t see it, just like when I ended up mauled… I’ll come back in warm hours and check if the blind does protect you or not.

Spend tempbar braking branches to fight the come back of CF. Sunny noon, cook the wolf. The bunny comes near the fire to look at his old friend in my cooking pots. He’ll have to wait a bit for more hide and seek.

While I cook, another friend of the wolf shows up: his patrol brother. I take the fresh gut, drop one 25m in front of the cabin, second arrow is a headshot.

screen_db541ce4-6711-4b3c-b193-376d94c3a818_hi.thumb.png.b25f6fffcbfd149e976f078aadfab913.png

Start a fire at the blind, spend a coal, and wait. My 60th blizzard drops on me before any bear shows up, kills my fire. The winds push me towards Trapper’s. FL-45, I’m freezing even before I clear the first hill. All this animal skin on me have eaten half my sprint bar, but it’s a good deal. I arrive with 14% hyporisk, but three more pelts are curing at Pond Cabin (2 wolf, 1 deer) along with both saplings.

screen_f3ccb7b3-5428-400a-ae32-e07c9274c6b2_hi.thumb.png.144a1346e65eb980fd3bd8d4fcaa1afb.png

I left with 10 arrowheads, come back with 10 arrowheads. Overall, not a bad day.

• Upvote 1

BareSkin11- D117 [Sleepwalker level 1]

End of the cooked meat at Trapper’s, but no sun to cook more. Find 2 coals in the Milton Cave. FL-8, it’s a good time to go for the Max branches. I crouch to check wolfiness, it’s OK. But in fact, it’s not. There was this sneaky one along the crest but just behind my LOS, the one that nearly got me the other time, when I had to sacrifice a rabbit. The arrow doesn’t scare the wolf, where did it come from?! How can I have missed him? Struggle with a kinfe, it lasts an eternity. I see the end of this pretty nice run and don’t feel bitter.

screen_c7b576d3-e25c-4e3e-9ec8-0274e088d860_hi.thumb.png.c9a930278e54e970e420857462f12377.png

Was it how Max ended up in here?

I think total 38% protection did save my life. Once patched with bandages and OMB, I’m down to 14% health (from 80+), and I have nothing to eat tonight, which becomes a real problem now with my 112 calories in stomach. I immediately spend a match to cook raw rabbits, and look for my old snares in the workbench drawer: I left them in Camp Office it seems, but I brought back some reclaimed from there, I recall. I’ll craft new ones, no problem.

The wool scarf I patched like, 1h ago, is down to 4%. I hesitated to keep the other one in the safe, but it seems like a good practice in case you “lose” one. Pants lost 26%, but I have a cured deer hide. The mitts are at 22% (from 88), I’ll need to harvest more pelts, I don’t want to use Pedro’s torso. I grab a new bandage and OMB in the safe.

screen_866fd55a-f2b6-4010-bfcf-d448e4e6165c.thumb.png.66cda5cfb7e7db3b910b7f5f420dd9fd.png

My clothing bonus took a serious hit

BareSkin11- D118 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Craft the snares and repair the clothing (+15°+9°), I’ll have to go grab the pelts at Pond Cabin. Eat the last rabbit chunks. Can’t use warm hours, 62nd blizzard. Health 28%. Tomorrow, I’ll go check for the precious arrow and not-precious carcass, just to show my respect by warming it up with renal liquids. 35% health before sleeping.

BareSkin11- D119 [Sleepwalker level 1]

2 rabbits and a ruined snare. Snares definitely get ruined due to blizzard and not how many times they’ve been triggered: this one was new from yesterday. I lose health to starvation while harvesting the rabbits. Strong winds and snow during warm hours, I have to spend a match for not sleeping starved.

Wind die: medium fog, FL-10. Should I go back to the calories at Pond Cabin? I decide yes, I’ll finish cooking, drop cooked meat here, and go there. I can’t starve, and I can’t spend the calories on harvesting rabbits if I want to recover. I need to rest without sleeping, and eat pre-cooked meat.

I fail to drive a deer to the Cabin, my clothes are not as good as before and I can’t herd it and lose health to freezing. I eat cooked wolf as soon as I arrive, and smile while doing so. Same when I look at the curing wolf pelts. The deer hide, birch and 3 guts are cured. I also left 6L of water, 5kg cooked venison and some uncooked wolf. I harvest the 3 pillows.

BareSkin11- D121 [Sleepwalker level 1]

40% health, maglens opportunity on morning, I cook the remaining raw wolf and boil some unsafe water I left there. I could break stuff since I brought my hatchet, but it’s not worth the calories. Snowstorm in the supposedly warm hours, FL-20. I stone the rabbit I left alive for so many days. Sorry my friend. Just in case I see the sun before going away, you're a collateral damage of the bad weather that makes me stay here.

BareSkin11- D122 [Sleepwalker level 1]

53% health, the psychological threshold is nice. I’m more alive than dead according to Schrödinger. Morning maglens for the rabbit and boiling some unsafe water again. Now that I have a fire, I pick up rabbit carcass just in case a wolf is near and wants to taste an arrowhead. Snow starts to fall before mid-morning.

Nice afternoon ,no winds and light snow, FL-11, health 59%. I grab the uncured wolf pelts, the cured maple, and back to Trapper’s where many rabbits must be waiting for me. I leave only 1 cooked steak, just in case I’m back here in an unplanned way. No bear at the Pond despite the bear-weather.

Upon arrival at Trapper’s, I lose 1% to blizzard but grab 5 rabbits (1 ruined snare). Use pillow-cloth to repair the 3% wool scarf and put it back in the safe, one less fishing tackle. Cabin Fever is back, nice attention at nightfall in a blizzard. The 64th by the way, yes on average it’s one every two days. Back of CF is not a surprise, 7 days before now I was outside looking for bear hunt (not counted anymore), the next day I was wolfed. Sleep 9h.

screen_c7186dfd-8e1b-425f-b954-ea87b7d06866.thumb.png.db6936d3cd4e88039dc286957c42c221.png

Home sweet home

• Upvote 1

BareSkin11- D123 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Surprisingly, CF is only at 36% when I wake up. My precedent CF hygiene pays off, with no huge spikes of indoor times. Health 60%. yesterday upon arrival I’ve seen deers, Let’s hope they’ll still be here today.

There are not, but the cold is present: -48°C in the air. Rabbits, no ruined snare. At noon, the deers are back! Sounds like I go back to routine life quite soon, weather permitting. I use my last cured deer skin to repair my boots from 51 to 81. Clothing goes up to +16+9.

At noon, I go for the deers: I miss once, then headshot. Another deer ends up near my home, but I’ve already lost to much to cold (health 57) on the first one. Sun appears as I hunt second deer, it’s so hard to miss a free fire… I miss a lot, the bow is down to 6%, next shot is the end of bow and strong winds pick up. I have to abandon the hunting for today, and go quarter the dead one on next temp bar.

screen_22a7f354-3929-485b-b535-a68bb7f46db0_hi.thumb.png.896cddd27364aa2591ffb8df6b3a5e7a.png

Oh, please, don't look me in the eyes. I beg you.

Warmup harvesting rabbits, the maglens fire. I can’t finish quartering tonight, too cold, too hungry. Before I finish cooking all the rabbit, new try with the spare bow I had prepared: miss again, and once more shortly after. Now I’m exhausted from all this archery shame, but I have cooked rabbit for at least the whole next day.

Sleep 1h, then I finish the quartering before sleeping, CF is down to 19%.

BareSkin11- D124 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Harvest the deer bags, and two rabbits: still blizzard so I start a new bow.

BareSkin11- D125 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Heavy fog, no more cooked food: I’m tempted to put to the test the definition of level 5 cooking: “Never gets parasites or food poisoning” (note from the future: @jeffpeng tried, for science. Don't do this). With all this raw meat laying around… but sun comes at noon, as if it had pity of me. Even before the first raw rabbit finish cooking, strong winds kill my fire, I babysit it.

screen_418b6143-0484-4d30-81b8-5a0a0a07a498.thumb.png.e50e5613c526c08ad56d8bfb9ed9646a.png

BareSkin11- D126 [Sleepwalker level 1]

77% health, starved, CF 18%. I go cautiously grab the arrow back from Max, the one that didn’t scare my wolf friend. I even find a metal container I didn’t check: empty, of course. I now have the initial 10 arrowheads, and I’m a decimal man, you know…

The thin wool sweaters are under 60%, so I repair them both to above 90%. 1 fail, 27 cloths left in the safe. It’s blizzard now, but tomorrow morning if no maglens I’ll have to spend a match in order not to add dehydration to starving. 26 matches left, can’t remember if I left some at Camp Office. Oh, 24 more on shelves, I’m fine.

It’s been a long time I didn’t have the luxury to sleep starved just for keeping a match.

BareSkin11- D127 [Sleepwalker level 1]

At dawn, the blizzard is still going on. Spend my match in the evening, after 3 new fails on hunting (1hit, broken arrow) and just before dehydration. The fire warms me up so I try again, and end up with one arrow running around attached to a deer, plus 2 broken arrows, but I clear cabin fever.

1 fire warmup later, headshot on the third deer. I’ll go quarter it tomorrow, right now my fire cooking is more precious.

screen_a4fa4d92-c55b-4161-915f-5173a34da1fb.thumb.png.aa21987932518483b21dd31c16902762.pngscreen_735e2cb3-c070-4e04-9f18-fbf9af776371.thumb.png.7237c1fb671e75c91d0a0e727a276f4c.png

• Upvote 1

BareSkin11- D128 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Second bow is at 36% already… I wake up at noon, harvest 1 rabbit, and then… wait for it… blizzard of course! 67th. I compose some rap lyrics in which “blizzard doesn’t ends” rhymes with “arrowheads”.

BareSkin11- D129 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Routine morning: grab the rabbits, spent a temp bar harvesting it outside, sheltered by the house. Behind the harvesting "countdown logo”, I can see the blurred scene in fast forward. I already had my finger on “escape” key to avoid freezing when I see, at the snares… wait for it… a WOLF. At the rabbit run near Trapper’s, can you believe it? I smash the key twice, once to stop the harvesting, another one to pause the game.

The wolf didn’t see me, it shows me his back and heads towards the position I was when I became smelly grabbing the rabbits. I’ll hit “Back to game” thinking the game’s gonna be short, but I manage the sneak indoors, and hear the wolf crying.

My bet is this wolf was patrolling near Max, and sometimes they come on my side of the hill, and maybe when they patrol this side, if you grab 3 rabbits, they’re close enough to detect it and come to you? I harvested 0.98kg, which means a 15minutes travel for the wolf, sounds reasonable since they approach quite slowly when picking up Scent but with no line of sight. Or maybe the wolf from just after the hill to the Pond?

That’s the equivalent of deadly-wolf-cause-never-here behind Mountaineer’s Hut. Anyway, I finish harvesting everything inside of course, I prefer CF risk than another wolf struggle.

OK, this friend came from the Pond side: I hear its footspteps just before reaching the top of the hill on a sticks run (and looking for the deer carcass that went away with an arrow but with no great hopes), I run down to Trapper’s, and here it crying. From my doorstep I can see it patrolling my side of the hill. I’ll never congratulate myself enough for maintaining this habit of pausing and listening.

Before nightfall, I teach him a lesson his mother should have told him: do not follow scent blindly, you might end up being headshot by the mean humans. This one is so stupid he came back even after I broke an arrow on him.

screen_e1e1f566-a201-4ec8-9076-73350758c036.thumb.png.5058b0cd3471c1ef0d15a61cae377191.png

Before

screen_26846a95-9866-4866-b760-0aad7a366da4.thumb.png.7dcd44928849b1d8e7ffa53955dca6e8.png

After

BareSkin11- D130 [Sleepwalker level 1]

For science: both my bedrolls decay at the same rate: one is in the safe, the other is just on the floor inside. I’m pretty sure being in a container or not does not change anything on decay rate, only indoor/outdoor. Maglens fire around noon, finish cooking the last deer and the wolf.

BareSkin11- D131 [Sleepwalker level 1]

78% health. I’m thinking with all the meat I cooked yesterday, I could stay here and earn Efficient Machine quite easily, I’m at 85% of the 500 survived days. Note from the future: feats do not progress in Custom Settings.

screen_152f7ad6-cb35-4f84-9e97-545873ddaddc.png

• Upvote 2

BareSkin11- D132 [Sleepwalker level 1]

90% health, that’s when I get too confident and die stupidly, right? I head towards the Pond in a light snow, FL-9 can’t be refused and I know there’s no more wolf there, since I killed it. There’s a deer, but I don’t shoot it, I have enough food and prefer using it as decoy. I enter the Pond cabin with 26 sticks in my pocket without losing any health.

BareSkin11- D133 [Sleepwalker level 1]

Morning blizzard, 69th, I pass time in bed and reach 99% health before getting starved, I eat the 1000 calories steak I left here last time. I start the trip back to Trapper’s in pre-blizzard and with lots of sticks (66) which was the main goal of the trip, no more calorie to sustain me here. No bear at the Pond. Man, where is this bear? The Lake maybe?

I make it to Trapper’s with only 2% hyporisk thanks to nice shielding. 157 sticks in the Locker, Jeremiah would be proud of me, if only he had some consideration for human life.

I repair my deer pants, since they are at 69%. I don’t need the calories since I’m at 100% health, but I play the game as if I was on a harder sleepwalker level with less recovery and eat my 2500 calories that could be better spent after a starved night. This 100% health allows me to alternate 1h sleeping with passing time outside to smooth my cabin fever curve.

BareSkin11- D135 [Sleepwalker level 1]

How is Pedro, you ask me? He’s fine, he even made a bow.

screen_c109b46e-23d2-4b2d-879a-9c90dead82c0_hi.thumb.png.51305370000e92b374b4dbe330a96267.png

---------------------

That's the end of Bareskin11 journal. I'm quite happy to achieve SW1 on my 11th  run (+Story, +4DON, + challenges). I'd like to retire Bareskin11 if there is no objection. I hope you've liked reading his adventures. Now after 135 days the weather gets better and warmer, he has maybe 30 matches, 100+sticks, coals, he'll soon be taking flowers and smiling at deers, eating roots and snared rabbits in a wonderful green Spring landscape.

Edited by BareSkin
  • Upvote 3

Welcome to the forums! And thanks for your kind words, I won't lie it's always encouraging knowing there are actually some people reading this.

40 minutes ago, LostCoyote said:

I need more practice (and to find something to start a fire...)

That's the main first problem to everyone! The veterans know by heart where to find guaranteed ignition (I don't), and now you know why: they learned it from suffering!

In my opinion the starts are similarly hardcore on interloper/SW/deadman. SW0 just allows you to heal after you managed your life in the first days, instead of running to the Stims. I hope you'll give it another try when you feel more confident :D. I made a new post in the general section with some Custom codes of sleepwalking Pilgrim/voyager/Stalker, maybe the last one could help you get the reflexes needed for a SW0. You can also tweak the Needs rates of SW0 to all "Medium" for example.