Wolf from the fog...

s7mar7in

So many times you experience something that works really well and it becomes apparent that the game has been updated and improved.
Today was a great day in TLD.
While disoriented in the fog, traveling from Jackrabbit Island back along the string of small islands that lead to shore and the Fishing Camps.
From the fog shrouded ice I could hear a wolf howling and following me as I was extremely overburdened with gear; this 'fog wolf' persistently resumed tracking after each small campfire scared him a short distance away. Unable to put more distance between us, my only option was to ready my weak survival bow. Then using my low archery skills, I quietly waited for the beast to show it's face. The bow shot placement was good but not critical, so the struggle began with the 'fog wolf' unaware of the arrow that remained planted deeply into it's powerful jaws...grabbing my hatchet I made a quick swing as the charging K9 bit deep into my left arm.

What happened next is what seemed to work so well: The 'fog wolf' instantly collapsed in front of my feet, there was a loud "yelp" as the beast fell lifeless to the ground and then breathed it's last frosty breath into the blood stained snow. I quickly bandaged my arm with lichen and a quick bandage. My condition loss was insignificant and my clothes had no damage except the ripped left sleeve of my coat. The fog began to roll out to sea with a warm off-shore breeze, so I relaxed while harvesting and then moved quickly to the safety of the nearest fishing camp.
Well done Hinterland. :coffee:

20181014142330_1.jpg

Wonderfully written.

Though i'm confused.
You shot the wolf, the wolf still attacked you, you wanted to attack back but it died during the attack?
I had that once occur too, about a year ago.
I shot the wolf, the wolf still charged for me, he attacked me and when i wanted to select a weapon and attack him, he died without me ever swinging for him.

I thought that was an ultra bad game design, i'l have to disagree with you on that one.
Shame that bug still isn't fixed :(
It even got worse, this happaned to me last week;
Same as before, i shot the wolf, the wolf still came at me (happens like once out of a 100 shots), the wolf attacked me and as i was choosing my weapon the wolf ran away (it attacked me for about 0.5 sec) and it kept on running and i never saw it again.

I'll have a glitch compliation video up soon ^^

~CGTv

4 hours ago, CGTv said:

I thought that was an ultra bad game design, i'l have to disagree with you on that one.
Shame that bug still isn't fixed :(

I actually love it.

Animals irl don't always die right away when you shoot them, even if it were a vital. This is especially true with an arrow! Even the brain can retain some function after trauma, especially if it only damaged the frontal lobe (the arrow looks like it probably didn't even touch the brain in this case). Also, the wolf is bleeding out + being damaged at a constant rate during the struggle so the likelyhood that it will die during the struggle is raised drastically, especially while using a hatchet or knife.

It adds a kind of cinematic moment when a character gets charged but saved at the last moment by death himself.

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

I actually love it.

Animals irl don't always die right away when you shoot them, even if it were a vital. This is especially true with an arrow! Even the brain can retain some function after trauma, especially if it only damaged the frontal lobe (the arrow looks like it probably didn't even touch the brain in this case). Also, the wolf is bleeding out + being damaged at a constant rate during the struggle so the likelyhood that it will die during the struggle is raised drastically, especially while using a hatchet or knife.

It adds a kind of cinematic moment when a character gets charged but saved at the last moment by death himself.

Wouldn't natural survival instincts kick in when you're mortally wounded? My natural instinct would be to get the hell out of there ASAP, not attack whatever just shot me, especially if i had an arrow lodged in between my lobes.
Perhaps that a bear would fight until it's dying breath, but a lone wolf? Naaah...
I respect the fact that you have a different opinion, but it doesn't changes mine.
I also stick by it that it's a bug, and an exploitable mechanic, if you shot it and it still attacks you, pick your weapon at the last moment.

~CGTv

Archived