Tbone555

Just another list of small problems that NEED to be fixed

12 posts in this topic

Alrighty here we go again

Blood trails and prints don't work. You can't see the blood or footprints until you're RIGHT up on it. This makes hunting a very very annoying, tedious task when the animal you're tracking decides to change direction. This problem didn't exist in previous versions.

The grass. Oh god the grass. I figured this would have been fixed by now, as the issue has been present since before launch. But when you walk past grass you get this weird issue where the 2d model for it doesn't face you and you end up looking at it from the side. It's immersion breaking and just plain weird

Flares are now worthless. At least in stalker and up. No I'm not saying flares should work EVERY TIME. Especially on harder difficulties. But they don't work at all anymore. I can't remember the last time I got a flare to actually scare a wolf away in stalker mode. I can understand this as an interloper mechanic. But not in stalker. They should at least work SOMETIMES in stalker.

 

This all being said, I don't make these to bash the game at all. I love this game and I see it as a work of art. But it has some very very annoying little kinks that really need to be worked out.

Edited by Tbone555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved to Support as that's a better venue for technical issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, admin said:

Moved to Support as that's a better venue for technical issues.

I appreciate it! :) I've been here for two years and I still sometimes get confused where to post haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank for your post, @Tbone555 . Most of these are known issues we are looking into, but additional reports and information is appreciated.

Can you tell us what system you play on? (Steam, Xbox One PS4, etc).

Thrown flares should be effective (although not all the time) at scaring wolves in all gameplay modes, however we'll take a look into this mechanic. Don't forget that a Wolf's behaviour can be influenced by other factors, such as how accurately the flare is thrown, your Survivor's Scent, etc!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

Flares are now worthless. At least in stalker and up. No I'm not saying flares should work EVERY TIME. Especially on harder difficulties. But they don't work at all anymore. I can't remember the last time I got a flare to actually scare a wolf away in stalker mode. I can understand this as an interloper mechanic. But not in stalker. They should at least work SOMETIMES in stalker.

Used correctly, thrown flares and torches work every time.

The trick is, don't try to hit the wolf with it. The only time it's effective that way is if you hit the wolf directly in the face with it. And even then, it may not always work, especially if he's already too close.

Instead, aim to land the flare/torch on the ground, some distance ahead of the wolf. Strafe your character left/right as necessary to place the flare/torch directly between you and the wolf. When the wolf steps on it, it will burn his paw, and he'll run away. Every time.

Edited by JAFO
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 7:46 PM, JAFO said:

Used correctly, thrown flares and torches work every time.

The trick is, don't try to hit the wolf with it. The only time it's effective that way is if you hit the wolf directly in the face with it. And even then, it may not always work, especially if he's already too close.

Instead, aim to land the flare/torch on the ground, some distance ahead of the wolf. Strafe your character left/right as necessary to place the flare/torch directly between you and the wolf. When the wolf steps on it, it will burn his paw, and he'll run away. Every time.

Thats exactly what I do. And it just doesn't ever work for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, Support said:

Thank for your post, @Tbone555 . Most of these are known issues we are looking into, but additional reports and information is appreciated.

Can you tell us what system you play on? (Steam, Xbox One PS4, etc).

Thrown flares should be effective (although not all the time) at scaring wolves in all gameplay modes, however we'll take a look into this mechanic. Don't forget that a Wolf's behaviour can be influenced by other factors, such as how accurately the flare is thrown, your Survivor's Scent, etc!

Oh sorry about that, I forgot to include my platform. I'm on Xbox One. And yeah, flares used to be very effective for me up until the last update, using the tactic that @JAFO mentioned above. Since the last update the wolf will simply walk right over the lit flare or torch without flinching. That's with no scent at all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Tbone555 said:

You can't see the blood or footprints until you're RIGHT up on it. This makes hunting a very very annoying, tedious task when the animal you're tracking decides to change direction

I have to agree, that's a lot of frustration when you have to walk back for the blood textures to load. I'm on Linux.

 

On 10/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Tbone555 said:

Flares are now worthless. At least in stalker and up.

They work for me. I just don't throw them.

But I agree, a torch or a flare, even roughly thrown near a wolf (say, a 10° cone?), should scare it more often than "never".

Edited by BareSkin
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, Tbone555 said:

Since the last update the wolf will simply walk right over the lit flare or torch without flinching. That's with no scent at all.

I'd report that as a bug, if I were you..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2018 at 7:29 PM, JAFO said:

I'd report that as a bug, if I were you..

Not to butt in, but I've had the same issue with torches @JAFO.

I used your method of having the wolf step on a lit burning torch in front of them, and they just step on it and then I get to fight the wolf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wintermut said:

Not to butt in, but I've had the same issue with torches @JAFO.

I used your method of having the wolf step on a lit burning torch in front of them, and they just step on it and then I get to fight the wolf.

Sounding more and more like a bug...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2018 at 3:46 AM, JAFO said:

Used correctly, thrown flares and torches work every time.

The trick is, don't try to hit the wolf with it. The only time it's effective that way is if you hit the wolf directly in the face with it. And even then, it may not always work, especially if he's already too close.

Instead, aim to land the flare/torch on the ground, some distance ahead of the wolf. Strafe your character left/right as necessary to place the flare/torch directly between you and the wolf. When the wolf steps on it, it will burn his paw, and he'll run away. Every time.

I would actually report THIS as a bug :P Game mechanics is really stupid at times.

This said, flares are useful for other things. Flares can start fire, which is life saving on interloper starts when you haven't found matches yet. Flares are never blown out by the wind, even in the most dire storm. Along with the fire starting capabilities it's providing some travel safety on windy/stormy weather: in case of a sudden wolf quickly find a wind defense and drop a fire. When on flat terrain use the drop-trick as the last resort, but I personally don't rely much on it. Maybe for stalker the odds are fair, because a wolf attack doesn't cost as much as your life on interloper. On interloper I never rely on this dropping mechanic (with trick or without).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now