Exploration Game Achievement

piddy3825

I have been trying to complete this achievement since I started playing the game.  The instructions are simple: explore every interior location on the Mystery Lake map and the Coastal Highway map.  Doesn't sound so difficult, but I am exhausted from covering the same two maps over and over and still coming up short. 

Although this current play through I did stumble on a previously undiscovered clearing with a cave high up on the hill looking down onto camp office that I hadn't found before.  In this particular play through I have also found the prepper bunker in ML, so I figured I must have found all the interior locations.  So are caves with a warmth bonus considered interior locations, because the only thing that could be hindering me from completing that achievement is maybe I have missed a cave?  I know I have entered every physical interior space that generates a load screen, or at least I think I have.  Does interior space include cars? I kinda would expect that it does.  

any help, ideas, suggestions?  

I did it a couple years back, but I haven't heard that it's changed.  Back then, only structures were required -- no caves or cars.  I think ranger stations do count, however, despite no loading screen.

As for suggestions:  Do it on pilgrim.  Not to make the play easy, but to avoid burned-out buildings.  AFAIK, those will prevent you from finishing the achievement.

For me, the last location I found was that little cabin tucked back into the hills northwest of the Log Sort in CH.  Never knew it was there.

Edited by Ruruwawa

10 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

:  Do it on pilgrim.  Not to make the play easy, but to avoid burned-out buildings.  AFAIK, those will prevent you from finishing the achievement.

I have launched in Pilgrim mode more than once and there are always burned out buildings on either CH or ML maps.  If what your saying is correct then there is no way to complete the achievement in any evolution where a building has been burned down.  Maybe @admin, would care to comment on this question?  At least they should Know if this achievement is still viable and if the burned out house theory is sound.  Ok, for me still looking for any place I could have missed since I started playing this game back in 2015. 

I did complete this achievement a few months back and as far as I recall, I did it even with burned out buildings.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:25 PM, Ruruwawa said:

Back then, only structures were required -- no caves or cars.

This is true. And I also checked that only buildings with loading screens apply - no outlooks needed, then.

For what is worth, I'm pasting below the checklist that I followed. Of course, spoilers ahead ;)

Mystery Lake

- Camp Office.

- Lake Cabins south of the office, by the lake shore. Two sets of buildings plus a last cabin near the bear cave at the far end of the lake.

- Trapper’s Homestead.

- Cabin between Unnamed Pond and Clearcut, as you walk from the first to the latter with the cliffs at the edge of the map to your left. It has a rabbit grove next to it.

- Logging Camp, three trailers.

- Carter Hydro Dam & Environs. The dam itself plus the two trailers by the fence.

Coastal Highway

- Train Unloading. Trailer next to the collapsed tunnel, as you enter from the Ravine. The road downhill from this trailer will get you to another trailer (after the first right-turn curve, check on the low side to your left). From this trailer start walking with the logs to your right and the slope that you came from to your left, and behind a brief slope you will find a cabin in a small clearing.

- Rabbit Grove cabin.

- Fishing Camp cabins. Also, there is another cabin within walking distance: go uphill leaving the workbench and the coast to your back, and you will find such cabin to your left, after the steep slope.

- Log Sort trailer.

- Jackrabbit Island’s house.

- Misanthrope’s Homestead.

- Waterfront Cottages (those that are not burned).

- Coastal Townsite. Quonset Garage plus all available cabins in the vicinity, i.e., between the main road (next to the garage front door) and the back road (parallel to the previous). Also, all cabins that might be still standing by the shore line, plus the house uphill tucked away from the town, as you go up the road to Silent Clearing, on the first bend, in a small clearing to the right.

- Silent Clearing’s nearby trailer. Next to a bear cave.

- Group of cabins at the bottom of the climbing spot, downhill from the Abandoned Lookout. Can be reached from the trailer near Silent Clearing, or the one close to the Cinder Hills Mine entrance.

- Cinder Hills Mine’s trailer. As you exit the mine, head down the first path to your right.

This did it for me. Hope it helps!

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Good to know I was wrong about that.  Thanks (and phew!). 

Let's say I am almost sure (many survival experiences have happened since then and I may get a bit mixed up!). Hopefully @piddy3825 will get the achievement and may share with us his experience on burned out buildings.

18 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

@Senauer, thanks for the list.  Although I am almost certain that I've hit each of these spaces, I do it over again when I get home from work tonight.  Appreciate your detailed list of destinations, you assistance here greatly appreciated!

You're welcome! Best of luck :):coffee:

On 6-10-2018 at 10:12 PM, NardoLoopa said:

Hmm, can someone confirm this?  Kinda annoying to have to play in carebear mode to click this one off.

I didn't knew burned down buildings would prevent a player from getting the achievement.
Good thing i haven't gone for that one yet.
I play on carebear mode quite a lot to try things out, i discovered that i always have one or more burned out buildings in ML and CH.
So i'm thinking this is false.

~CGTv

Edit: Oh i shuld have read the replies earier, i see this has already been confirmed, good ^^

Edited by CGTv
Marmalade

I strongly suspect (although I haven't diligently tracked this) that there are a couple of possible preset configurations for ML and CH (Edit: And PV too...I seem to recall the layout of the rural crossroads varying from game to game, though I don't often spend much time there to say that with any conviction), and the game selects a template when you start.  Sort of like how there are different loot spawn templates, such as if you find a hammer at the mountaineer's hut on Interloper, you're guaranteed to find a hacksaw at the summit.  So I think the total number of interior locations remains the same in each game, it's just that the entrances to those locations move around on the map depending on how the intact and destroyed houses are arranged based on the template used for that run.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

So I think the total number of interior locations remains the same in each game, it's just that the entrances to those locations move around on the map depending on how the intact and destroyed houses are arranged based on the template used for that run.

This definitely makes a lot of sense. I guess it would require a bit more study from TLD scientific community.

This is the checklist I followed... might be overkill but it worked... it actually takes less time than you might think.

Also note that if you spawn in in one of these locations it won't count...you will have to re-enter it later

Mystery Lake

• (E) Tunnel Collapse
  • (E) Dave's Quiet Clearing
  • (E) Mystery Lake (Western Access)
  • (E) Lake Cabins
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (E) Lake Cabins
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Upper Dam
  • (I) Lower Dam
  • (E) Trapper's Homestead
  • (I) Trapper's Cabin
  • (E) Winding River
  • (E) Train Bridge
  • (E) River (Southern Access)
  • (E) Ice Fishing Huts
  • (E) Max's Last Stand
  • (E) Unnamed Pond
  • (E) Frozen Creek
  • (E) Logging Camp
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Trailer
  • (E) Train Loading Area
  • (E) Forestry Lookout
  • (E) Clearcut
  • (E) Deadfall Area
  • (I) Cabin
  • (E) Alan's Cave
  • (I) Camp Office
  • (E) Mystery Lake
  • (I) Lone Lake Cabin
  • (E) Derailment
  • (E) Ravine

Total locations: 31
Interior locations: 13

Coastal Highway

• (E) Coastal Highway
  • (E) Train Unloading
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (E) Bear Creek Campground
  • (E) Rabbit Grove
  • (I) Cabin
  • (E) Rockfall
  • (E) Fishing Camp
  • (I) Fishing Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Fishing Cabin
  • (E) Jackrabbit Island
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (E) The Tooth
  • (E) Log Sort
  • (I) Trailer
  • (E) Coastal Townsite
  • (I) Quonset Gas Station
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House (6)
  • (E) Waterfront Cottages
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Costal House
  • (E) Commuter's Lament
  • (E) Misanthrope's Homestead
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (E) Silent Clearing
  • (I) Trailer
  • (E) Abandoned Lookout
  • (I) Cinder Hills Abandoned Mine
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin

Total locations: 70
Interior locations: 27

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cr41g said:

This is the checklist I followed... might be overkill but it worked... it actually takes less time than you might think.

Also note that if you spawn in in one of these locations it won't count...you will have to re-enter it later

Mystery Lake

• (E) Tunnel Collapse
  • (E) Dave's Quiet Clearing
  • (E) Mystery Lake (Western Access)
  • (E) Lake Cabins
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (E) Lake Cabins
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Upper Dam
  • (I) Lower Dam
  • (E) Trapper's Homestead
  • (I) Trapper's Cabin
  • (E) Winding River
  • (E) Train Bridge
  • (E) River (Southern Access)
  • (E) Ice Fishing Huts
  • (E) Max's Last Stand
  • (E) Unnamed Pond
  • (E) Frozen Creek
  • (E) Logging Camp
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Trailer
  • (E) Train Loading Area
  • (E) Forestry Lookout
  • (E) Clearcut
  • (E) Deadfall Area
  • (I) Cabin
  • (E) Alan's Cave
  • (I) Camp Office
  • (E) Mystery Lake
  • (I) Lone Lake Cabin
  • (E) Derailment
  • (E) Ravine

Total locations: 31
Interior locations: 13

Coastal Highway

• (E) Coastal Highway
  • (E) Train Unloading
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (E) Bear Creek Campground
  • (E) Rabbit Grove
  • (I) Cabin
  • (E) Rockfall
  • (E) Fishing Camp
  • (I) Fishing Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Fishing Cabin
  • (E) Jackrabbit Island
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (E) The Tooth
  • (E) Log Sort
  • (I) Trailer
  • (E) Coastal Townsite
  • (I) Quonset Gas Station
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Coastal House (6)
  • (E) Waterfront Cottages
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (I) Costal House
  • (E) Commuter's Lament
  • (E) Misanthrope's Homestead
  • (I) Coastal House
  • (E) Silent Clearing
  • (I) Trailer
  • (E) Abandoned Lookout
  • (I) Cinder Hills Abandoned Mine
  • (I) Trailer
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin
  • (I) Cabin

Total locations: 70
Interior locations: 27

And a damned fine checklist at that! Thank you for sharing.  I was just in the process of penciling a list together and now you've saved me significant time and effort.  cut, paste and print.  boom!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 8:25 AM, Ruruwawa said:

For me, the last location I found was that little cabin tucked back into the hills northwest of the Log Sort in CH.  Never knew it was there.

Same here... took me forever to find it and then I finally got the achievement as well.

It was very frustrating!

On 10/25/2018 at 3:53 PM, NardoLoopa said:

Just in case there was any doubt remaining, the ruined buildings do not count.  I got this achievement on V w/o doing anything more special than being ultra curious.

I was going to state I asked for an official response about this back when I started playing and Hinterland said burned buildings don't affect the achievement. I also completed it on Voyager. 

Either you missed a building you were not aware of (consult a map), or there was a bug.

If you used a map and you definitely went inside all interiors including the mine in CH (I believe the mine was necessary), the only bug I can think of is the ML lake cabin teleportation bug that I believe they have patched...Where you go inside one lake cabin, but you are actually teleported to the interior of the wrong lake cabin.... (Yes, this was an actual bug I'm not making this up...)

• 1 month later...

I've recently restarted playing this game again a while back, and just completed this Achievement a week ago.  So its definitely not bugged in the current version.  I went  everywhere I could even places not on the list (like destroyed Lookout) Unnecessary I know, but I didnt want to try again.

Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2018 at 7:39 PM, piddy3825 said:

I have been trying to complete this achievement since I started playing the game.  The instructions are simple: explore every interior location on the Mystery Lake map and the Coastal Highway map.  Doesn't sound so difficult, but I am exhausted from covering the same two maps over and over and still coming up short. 

Although this current play through I did stumble on a previously undiscovered clearing with a cave high up on the hill looking down onto camp office that I hadn't found before.  In this particular play through I have also found the prepper bunker in ML, so I figured I must have found all the interior locations.  So are caves with a warmth bonus considered interior locations, because the only thing that could be hindering me from completing that achievement is maybe I have missed a cave?  I know I have entered every physical interior space that generates a load screen, or at least I think I have.  Does interior space include cars? I kinda would expect that it does.  

any help, ideas, suggestions?  

Did you consider prepper cache's?

Edit: all of the possible places

Edited by XLWatercube
Clarification