can somebody please explain this to me?

piddy3825

I was deer hunting with the bow and decided to take a shot at a buck that just suddenly stopped just within range.  I had plenty of time and got a good bead, released my arrow and watched it sail and strike it's intended target.  Blood spray puffed up in the air and the deer bolted away instantly.  As I covered the ground to the impact area, I noticed there was no blood splatter in the snow and my arrow was lying nearby.  The deer ran a fairly good distance away but then just reset and started it's grazing behaviour again.  I looked around for a blood trail but there was none.  what just happened?

The arrow only grazed the target, it's not unusual. The arrow scratched the target without actually wounding it, it didn't stick and the target won't bleed. Bad luck. You get experience but have to try again, maybe it caused condition damage but judging it is quite impossible.

Ah, thanks for asking and answering this question -- I'd seen this a few times and patiently waited for the prey to drop-dead.  And waited.  And waited.

When deer are injured (to the point where they will die) does their animation change?  Do they "hobble"?  Or am I imagining things?

17 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

The arrow only grazed the target, it's not unusual. The arrow scratched the target without actually wounding it, it didn't stick and the target won't bleed. Bad luck. You get experience but have to try again, maybe it caused condition damage but judging it is quite impossible.

"I was an adventurer like you until an arrow "grazed" my knee..."  lol

• 3 weeks later...

Archived