Let's try Meaterloper

fauxjargon

The rules:  No food that didn't have a face.  This means that my only manufactured food choices are sardines, dog food and beef jerky.  Reishi and Rose Hip tea are allowed, but only to treat conditions.  Coffee and Herbal Tea don't treat conditions, so they aren't allowed.  You don't eat Old Man's Beard so that's allowed, and of course cattail heads can be tinder.  Other than that, this is vanilla Interloper.  We're taking Snow Walker and Cold Fusion.  We're going to be stoning a lot of bunnies.

Day 1 - A Fistful of Rabbits - I spawn at dusk on Timberwolf Mountain.  The spawn near the rope up to the deer clearing.  Not my preferred start, but we'll try.  I stone a bunny on the way to the Y-cave, where I find the matches and a 100% torch.  I light up my torch in the Cave of Engines and make my way through.  I don't look thoroughly for coal - it is foggy and close to nightfall, there's no time to waste.  I still find six coals though.  The trip down the ramp to the rope above the lake is uneventful - but the fog is as thick as it gets and I am carrying a bunny - probably not a great strategy, but it works out.  I start a fire and warm up before checking out the fishing hut - I find beef jerky, some wood and some driving gloves.  The Mountaineer's Hut yields a magnifying lens, a sport vest and the usual matches and sewing kit.

I stone three bunnies at the end of the lake and spend a few hours boiling water and cooking bunnies - I store them in my stomach.  Each bunny, not counting the calories used to catch and carry it, yields roughly as many calories as 2 cattails.  I only found enough rose hips for one tea - if I get the dreaded double random sprain on the way to the rope I am going to have a bad time.  I sleep without a fire to save fuel in case I am trapped by a blizzard tomorrow.

20181001075217_1.thumb.jpg.65c87d9890301620ae0288f2b448aca6.jpg

Day 2 - Where's the beef? - I wake up after a risky 6 hour sleep (needed the consecutive sleep bonus to heal from yesterday).  My heat bar is half empty - a blizzard is starting - so I boil water, gather sticks, the usual.  I leave at midday - I want to get to Draft Dodgers cabin.  I have enough calories in my stomach for the day, but to get enough calories for a full nights sleep I am going to need either a bunny or another food find.  The wind picks up on the way down the mountain and I lose my torch and arrive cold to the bunker - where I find another beef jerky AND a 65% dog food.  I burn off a bunch of sticks lighting a hot fire in the burned out shack - with my current clothing the bed in the bunker will take hours to warm me up.  I torch chain my way to Skeeters and light a defensive fire outside the basement. 

20181001092302_1.thumb.jpg.f1c96e104f8e7aa3df3b1b93a6b164b7.jpg

I make more rose hips, and find a t-shirt and 36% dog food in the basement.  Great.  I put more sticks on the fire, and about an hour later, am warmed up.  It is getting late.  I take the ropes down - I have mountain goated this section without issue before, but don't want to try it today.  I lose my torch to the wind at the bottom and gather some reishi and rose hips in the cold.  I only need a bit - I won't be chugging these for warmth like I usually do.  I harvest the curtains, prep my tea ingredients for my next fire, eat a dog food and a beef jerky and sleep.

Day 3 - Iron Chef - dawns bright and cold.  Feels like -30.  I spend the morning and noon making short trips out to gather bunnies and sticks.  I get three bunnies, which I process into meat.  Fearing another night in the Draft Dodger's cabin, I set out in -15, taking a slightly indirect route to the Farmhouse to hopefully avoid wolves while carrying the flesh of three bunnies.  I get a fourth one on the way.  YOLO.  Inside, I find a cotton toque, some very questionable venison (!) and some sundries.  Hacksaw in the basement.  At least I won't get frostbite.
20181001223950_1.thumb.jpg.6f27229f415934aa459c47d86db05dee.jpg

I eat, saving 3 kg of bunny meat for tomorrow.  The Venison cooks up to 60%, but doesn't give me food poisoning.  I read The Frozen Angler (best book I have :/) until dark then alternate sprinting around in a blizzard and tearing down curtains until I am tired enough for a big sleep.

Day 4 - Can't Stop the Signal -  I set out immediately on an empty stomach for the barn.  The plan is to return to the farmhouse for the night, and then do Signal Hill and Carter Hydro the next day.  Some wolves are near the barn, but I am in no danger.  I find a heavy hammer, some 21% trail boots, work gloves, a stim and my 3rd Simple Tools in the barn.  I boil some water while I'm at it.  I have decided that I am going to rock 2 cooking pots (which I found in the Farmhouse) this game.  I go back to the farmhouse, and warm up at the stove while cooking up some more rose hip tea.  I haven't found any painkillers yet.  I test out my new hacksaw on a deer carcass, cooking it as I work.  I eat 1.5 kg of venison and 3 kg of rabbit - a full stomach.  
20181001232755_1.thumb.jpg.b1a6c00413bd63b83c072b0db579f128.jpg

I spare a rabbit on the way to the hill.  There's no deer carcass by the cave and no deer carcass at the radio tower.  Oh well.  I find another sewing kit and some good trail boots.  I finish reading The Frozen Angler and make three consecutive failed attempts to fix my thermal underwear before it gets dark.  I make three more attempts in the morning before I finally fix it.

Day 5 - I'd buy that for a buck - I leave Signal hill in the cold of the mid-afternoon.  I don't stop at the deer carcass on the way to the cave - it is too cold - but thankfully, there is one waiting for me in the cave.  After I'm done cooking the meat, I leave - into a blizzard.  I go back in, take the hide and guts, and go back out - bad weather but not an actual blizzard.  I warm back up in the cave, where I find sardines and lantern fuel.  I go up the hill on the right (facing the dam) side of the river, and find three maples and a deer carcass.  I take everything.

I take the next deer, then the next deer.  I have four deer hides, 8 guts and a bunch of meat.  I travel through Carter Hydro at dawn, not bothering to loot anything that isn't on the floor right in front of me.  I drop my maples, guts and hides in the lower dam - my fatigue bar is empty and I am grossly overburdened with bambi bits, coal and water.  And two kilograms of pot.

I make my way to the trailer, thankfully without being hassled by wolves - noting that the deer corpse outside of Carter Hydro is there - lots of food, and without even venturing into the ravine, enough hides to make pants and boots.  I sleep for 10 hours.20181002194348_1.thumb.jpg.efc1c2ac32987c8215ea17aa59c54d07.jpg

Archived