The hyper-efficient hunter! 16kg of meat from one arrow with zero risk..

Kauffy

I'm sure other people have had this experience, but this also seems like a mechanic that could be honed into something on its own. This happened to me today.

I was out hunting with a bow, and I spotted a deer near Trapper's. I spooked the deer and it ran over the hill to the (map) North. I reached the peak of the hill, and spotted the deer again, back to grazing.

I was creeping up on it and nearly had a shot when I spotted a wolf, who started moving in my direction and then (seemingly) spotted the deer (I'm not sure what actually happened under the hood). The deer didn't make it two paces before the wolf brought it down, and then I just plinked off an arrow and brought down the wolf. I quartered both animals, and of course, couldn't move, but I was fortunate that I could actually harvest them completely and head back without any issue.

Now... if I could get a bear to spot a moose that's spotting a wolf that's spotted a deer.....

Also, landmines.

3 minutes ago, Kauffy said:

... I spotted a wolf, who started moving in my direction and then (seemingly) spotted the deer (I'm not sure what actually happened under the hood). The deer didn't make it two paces before the wolf brought it down, and then I just plinked off an arrow and brought down the wolf. 

You got yourself a 2fer...  two for one as it were.  I find hunting wolves in Pilgrim mode especially challenging using a bow since their behavior mechanic for flight seems to be super sensitive to the players proximity more so where there is an open line of sight.   Unless your character progression has allowed you to use the bow from a crouching mode, waiting in stealth is often necessary in order to get close enough to place a good shot when trying to harvest a wolf.  So much easier to do so however if you've managed to steer a deer in the wolves direction and allowed him to make the kill and you subsequently are able to get close enough as it eats in order to shoot him using the bow.   You can spend just a few hours out on the ice near the log jamb on the Coastal Highway steering deer or even wolves to set up those great 2 for one harvest opportunities.  Good way to spend some quality time playing TLD!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived