Loss of hides on repair failure. Loss of fuel on wind-blown fire.

Kauffy

While this isn't technically broken, it does feel (game-) mechanically broken and almost play-breaking.

1) When doing a repair with a hide, if the repair fails, you lose the hide completely. Depending upon your circumstances, this could be devastating.

2) This one is more pervasive and odd: if you build a fire and, say, throw 12 hours' fuel into it, and then at minute 6, the wind picks up. The fire's lifespan then drops to ~9 minutes, and it winds down until the fire is dead. However, all that fuel that is necessarily unburnt is now gone. This, also, could be unjustifiably devastating.

2 hours ago, Hawk said:
  • When trying to cook on a barrel, pointing the cursor at the cooking circles doesn't work. You have to move your mouse around the outside circumference of the barrel until the cursor jumps to a circle.

That's only a recent bug, hopefully it will be fixed.

10 hours ago, Kauffy said:

1) When doing a repair with a hide, if the repair fails, you lose the hide completely. Depending upon your circumstances, this could be devastating.

2) This one is more pervasive and odd: if you build a fire and, say, throw 12 hours' fuel into it, and then at minute 6, the wind picks up. The fire's lifespan then drops to ~9 minutes, and it winds down until the fire is dead. However, all that fuel that is necessarily unburnt is now gone. This, also, could be unjustifiably devastating.

The botched repairs are annoying as a moose fart, particularly when caused by silly causes like growing darkness or spent sowing kit (can't you just leave the thing as it is and wait for the morning or pick another kit?!). Losing leather or hide like this is really bad.

On the other hand, it was previously suggested that a hide should be cut in three or four pieces for repairs.

About fire and wind, it's generally unwise to dump a truckload of firewood in an exposed campfire. Using many sticks one at a time allows to add them one after another and to keep the fire burning, if at least partial cover is available. I've done much cooking under heavy wind with the scarce protection of a few rocks or a wall, patiently resetting the 9 minutes as much as needed.

That said, having a truckload of firewood stolen by the wind fairies is horrible.

12 minutes ago, Hawk said:

That would be great if they did something like that.

On the other hand, deerskin boots and bearskin stuff give back a full hide when harvested and cost two for crafting, so it's safer to use a new hide to craft a new one instead of repairing, even if it's very costly in time and tool condition. A moosehide cloak can be recycled indefinitely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2018 at 7:47 AM, Doc Feral said:

About fire and wind, it's generally unwise to dump a truckload of firewood in an exposed campfire. Using many sticks one at a time allows to add them one after another and to keep the fire burning, if at least partial cover is available. I've done much cooking under heavy wind with the scarce protection of a few rocks or a wall, patiently resetting the 9 minutes as much as needed.

That said, having a truckload of firewood stolen by the wind fairies is horrible.

I've done this (dumping in fuel) in two situations. 1) Where I have to sleep somewhat rough for an extended period of time-- like, if I actually can not stay awake long enough to keep feeding it every nine minutes, and 2) when I've got 3 fires going because I'm doing a ton of cooking at once; it saves me having to keep track of the fuel as well as the meat. 12 hours' fuel was an exaggeration, but it makes the point that much more. Even if it's one log, it doesn't make sense.

On 28/9/2018 at 8:05 PM, romerabr said:

When gets dark, everything you are using returns to your inventory. 

That's good news, but I don't think it avoids condition loss for the sowing kit. That said, I also hate when I'm studying a book and around 57 minutes it turns out I'm too thirsty or it got too dark to finish the hour of reading.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived