Need a rope

Skelegutplays

I am right now at trappers cabin on mystery lake, about day 15 on voyager and have been to camp office, derailment, train tunnel, ravine, logging camp, forestry lookout, lake overlook, train loading area, dave’s clearing, alan’s cave, max’s last stand, deadfall are and carter dam (i did not have a prybar so i could not open the lockers) i want to have a flare gun before going to the unnamed pond. Thing is i need a rope where can i find one? I dont want to go to the old lookout due to many hostile animals.

I could always steal the first rope from the lake overlook but will it be unaccessible for the rest of the game if i do that?

10 hours ago, Skelegutplays said:

Thing is i need a rope where can i find one? I dont want to go to the old lookout due to many hostile animals.

@Skelegutplays, If you are ready to attempt the Ravine Basin, you may want to first learn an important location near the Ravine climbing area.
Search above the Ravine climbing area first, (possible minor spoiler hint below).

You will know you have found the important location when you find a RR-Switch marker on the main tracks...this will help you notice a "spur-line" with some abandoned train cars parked on the spur-line tracks. I will leave the rest of the exploring up to you!

Good Luck and enjoy exploring the Ravine Basin! :coffee:

19 hours ago, Skelegutplays said:

I could always steal the first rope from the lake overlook but will it be unaccessible for the rest of the game if i do that?

You can walk right up to the lake overlook, if you approach it from the tracks by the camp office.  You can walk right up the hill, although it's a bit steep.

Also the rope south of Mystery Lake, that leads to the southernmost part of the map immediately east of the tracks, you can walk up there too.  Although it takes a bit of clever mountain goating.

13 hours ago, Skelegutplays said:

Never heard of that area can someone explain it?

This is a really fun one @Skelegutplays, and I'll do my best to provide guidance without spoilers.

Exit the backdoor of the Camp Office, to your left is a ridgeline/elevated walkable ground, (at the top of the steep slope), that ridgeline runs parallel to the RR tracks that lead West towards the tunnel.

Begin by following the RR tracks West and keep looking for your first opportunity to walk up the steep slope on your left. Once at the top of the slope you will find some easy walking along the ridge as you continue walking West and parallel to the RR tracks, (RR tracks are visible at times below you on the right...a good landmark).
Keep walking west, (feel free to pause for mapping from the high elevation to fill-in missing/black areas of your map).

Important Hint: As you approach the western-edge of the region you will need to "mountain goat" some easy flat ice/rock to stay up on the high ground of the ridge, (if you stray left/South you will travel downhill to 'Dave's Quiet Clearing' and if you stray right/North you will travel downhill to the RR tunnel).

Just stay on the high-ground and you will get to the West edge of the ML region, you will find a most peaceful grove of birch trees in a small valley, this valley area is the West-most extreme of the ML region, (very easy to find once you have made the journey along the ridge one time).

Most importantly: This peaceful valley has a lot to offer, no doubt one of my favorite location discoveries, (screenshot shows view after arriving at the valley, turning and looking back up the slope to the ridgeline), behind the deer is where the RR tracks enter the tunnel. It is best to let you find, enjoy, and explore the small peaceful valley for yourself.

And for your purposes, (it is also at the top of the rope-climb from the ML 'Lake Trail-Western Access').

Have fun exploring...it is a very nice area of the ML map! :coffee:

20180517174114_1.jpg

To sort of tag off what @s7mar7in said, cartography can help you find the way up there.  Terrain sufficiently higher than your current position will show up as black smudges when you attempt to map it.  By zeroing in on those black smudges and exploring ways to sidestep and mountain-goat your way high enough to fill them in, you can find all kinds of new ways to get to hard-to-reach locations.  That's how I found my way up there initially--I really, really hate black smudges so I just kept kind of wandering back and forth around the rocky crags by the camp office until I found a way up.  You just have to walk up high enough on the snowy hill next to the tracks so that you can sidestep onto the black rocky outcropping, and keep sidestepping until you find a spot where you can walk uphill again.  Rinse, repeat, until you are on stable ground.  Once you figure it out, you can walk around that uneven terrain up there to help fill in the map if you are so inclined.  Or just grab the sapling that sometimes spawns up there, take the rope if you need it, and make your exit by carefully walking down one of those steep slopes by Dave's clearing, or straight down the other side back to the tracks.

Archived