ZachG2018

I was thinking that maybe bullets could be broken down and we could use the gunpowder inside for tinder or accelerant.

also maybe bear traps that you could only find at the Hunting Lodge? 

And I think that when you get attacked by a wolf, using your gun as a blunt weapon to either push it off or injure it should be possible but at the cost of severely damaging the rifle.

13 hours ago, ZachG2018 said:

I was thinking that maybe bullets could be broken down and we could use the gunpowder inside for tinder or accelerant.

also maybe bear traps that you could only find at the Hunting Lodge?

And I think that when you get attacked by a wolf, using your gun as a blunt weapon to either push it off or injure it should be possible but at the cost of severely damaging the rifle.

My take regarding gunpowder is that: if we get another weapon that can make use of it then yes otherwise why bother. Better to get accelerant from cars.

Having a makeshift bayonetwould certainly be something, could potentially substitude the bear spear which is to come. But then again we already have lots of options vs. wolves.

On the bear trap i am a bit torn. As such a thing would be very powerful and durable with little to none risk involved. Such a trap could also fit the setting well.

But then again you would make hunting bears (or w/e you trap) so trivial, that you'd have to adjust game difficulty somewhere else. This would be the same with poisoned bait or shotguns - trivializing the difficulty and fear such an animal should invoke.

Also since some of us wish for useable fats and bones - having easy access to a dead bears could give you such a big boosts of resources for no investment, which can be both a good and a bad thing. I would certainly enjoy spending more time on activities other than hunting, but gameplay dynamics would be totally different. However once more recepies are added and systems are fleshed out this line of argumentation might be irrelevant.

5 hours ago, Dawnshift said:

My take regarding gunpowder is that: if we get another weapon that can make use of it then yes otherwise why bother. Better to get accelerant from cars.

Having a makeshift bayonetwould certainly be something, could potentially substitude the bear spear which is to come. But then again we already have lots of options vs. wolves.

On the bear trap i am a bit torn. As such a thing would be very powerful and durable with little to none risk involved. Such a trap could also fit the setting well.

But then again you would make hunting bears (or w/e you trap) so trivial, that you'd have to adjust game difficulty somewhere else. This would be the same with poisoned bait or shotguns - trivializing the difficulty and fear such an animal should invoke.

Also since some of us wish for useable fats and bones - having easy access to a dead bears could give you such a big boosts of resources for no investment, which can be both a good and a bad thing. I would certainly enjoy spending more time on activities other than hunting, but gameplay dynamics would be totally different. However once more recepies are added and systems are fleshed out this line of argumentation might be irrelevant.

Maybe in the way of bear traps, they don’t necessarily stop the bear permanently. They definitely stop it, but only for a short amount time. Maybe the constant freezing and melting of water has weakened the metal, making it easy to break? It could also be that there are only around 2 bear traps in the game and once they’re used, they’re broken and require a lot of metal and resources to repair! Or rather maybe they aren’t reparable and are one time use. Then they could be used as a last ditch effort to score some meat or to slow down a bear for a few seconds should you find yourself in a bind. They could also be quite heavy and take a bit of time to set up making you question whether or not using that extra time and energy to retrieve and set one is worth it in the long run. I think they could work it would just obviously need a lot of tweaking and balancing.

Or maybe it is a one hit bear kill with one use but retrieving one would require you to/set it off without it killing you outright (bleeding damage, broken leg, held in place,  the long dark). You dont have to hunt the bear (or whatever animal it catches) but getting it would be even more dangerous. And probably weighs 20+ lbs in real life.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived