What's the best route off the Summit walking down over encumbered?

piddy3825

Just finished looting the summit and have roughly 4 separate 45 kilo loads of salvage.  Looking down from the tail section you can barely make out the Mountaineers Hut.  Is there any good way to go down the mountain on that side and come down close to Crystal Lake.  I would love to be able to finess my way down the mountain side to save all that walking time.   Otherwise I have walked down the trail side that leads you down the backside fairly easily, but it dumps you off out practically on the other side of the map as compared to where you want to go.

any suggestions?  

Yep, if you head a little west of the tail section (to the right of the tail, if you're facing the lake), there's a place where you can get started.  It starts off on some steep hilly terrain, which you can bunny hop down if you take it slow.  Once you run out of hill and end up on the grey rocks, you'll have to start moving more westward, and eventually you'll get to a point where you have to make some tactical drops from some rocky cliffs.  You might take some damage, but if you just tap tap tap tap your way down, you should be alright.  This will deposit you near that really steep foot trail that you can use to bypass the rope climb by the engine.  From there you can continue to head southwest, follow the gap in the rocks down the hill to lead to the stream, follow that back to the mountaineer's hut.  And boom, you've descended from the summit without using a single rope.

I STRONGLY recommend doing this on a crystal clear sunny day.  This is not a trip you want to attempt in thick fog.

And...might not want to get your hopes up on your first attempt.  When I was finding this out, I had a very scary fall that took me from 100% straight down to about 15%, damaged a bunch of my stuff, sprained my everything, and I think I ruined my underwear for a reason that didn't involve damage.  Had I not been on a Pilgrim run, I'm pretty sure that would've offed me outright.

Edit: This video shows it off pretty well.  Spoiler, obviously, so don't watch if you intend to find your own way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuor2NJJ5jw

@ajb1978,  watched the video and was inspired... started off pretty decent on the descent, but it quickly went awry.  had to "fall" down a couple of times and was thankful I didn't die.  Ended up at coming to ground just up the from the fishing shack and took approx. 65% damage.  Was exceptionally quick coming down for sure.

Hard to describe the route exactly but after doing similar pathing to what @ajb1978  described I've figured the twists and turns to where I never have to drop at all and don't have any risky traverses.  Leaves me on the trail up to the first cave above the closest rope to MH.  Then descend a bit west of the rope puts me right at the lake. 47-49kg per run but I generally only make one trip.  I log what I leave up there and can go back if I need it. Took it all out of the crates and arranged in inside the plane.

Archived