Lookout interior temperatures

ajb1978

So I stumbled upon something I figured I'd share.  On the coastal highway, the abandoned lookout has an interior temperature of either -1C or -3C.  Why?  Well I did some experimenting, and my current theory is that the interior temperature of the abandoned lookout depends on whether or not you last exited the Cinder Hills Coal Mine.  If you enter the Coastal Highway via the mine, the temperature inside the abandoned lookout is -1C.  If you enter the region from anywhere else, for example from the ravine, from the crumbling highway, or even just exiting a house or trailer that's on the Coastal Highway map, the lookout's interior temperature is -3C.  I also tried walking all the way to the No. 3 Coal Mine linking the crumbling highway to desolation point, entering/exiting, and walking back to the lookout.  The temp was still -3C.  The trigger to set it to -1C seems to be specifically Cinder Hills Coal Mine.

I just find this kind of thing interesting.  It's like a physics experiment on the alternate universe of TLD.

Edit: This does not appear to work for the Forestry Lookout in Mystery Lake.  I entered/exited the Cinder Hills mine, then walked all the way to that lookout specifically to check the temperature.  No dice.  This seems to be specific to the Abandoned Lookout on the Coastal Highway.

1 hour ago, Silverhour said:

Sounds like an oversight on the developers part, but it is interesting. Of course that is only useful if you feel like hitting the mines before you rely on slight warmth increase, but in some cases that 2 degrees might make the difference.

Indeed, especially early on when you're ill-equipped against the cold.  Also the bed in that lookout doesn't add any warmth, so that extra +2C can mean the difference between life and death.  Incidentally, I have Cold Fusion active--I just tested this with a new throwaway game without Cold Fusion, and the temps are either -5C or -3C depending on whether or not I visit the mine.

On 16.9.2018 at 4:49 PM, ajb1978 said:

So I stumbled upon something I figured I'd share.  On the coastal highway, the abandoned lookout has an interior temperature of either -1C or -3C.  Why?  Well I did some experimenting, and my current theory is that the interior temperature of the abandoned lookout depends on whether or not you last exited the Cinder Hills Coal Mine.  If you enter the Coastal Highway via the mine, the temperature inside the abandoned lookout is -1C.  If you enter the region from anywhere else, for example from the ravine, from the crumbling highway, or even just exiting a house or trailer that's on the Coastal Highway map, the lookout's interior temperature is -3C.  I also tried walking all the way to the No. 3 Coal Mine linking the crumbling highway to desolation point, entering/exiting, and walking back to the lookout.  The temp was still -3C.  The trigger to set it to -1C seems to be specifically Cinder Hills Coal Mine.

I just find this kind of thing interesting.  It's like a physics experiment on the alternate universe of TLD.

Edit: This does not appear to work for the Forestry Lookout in Mystery Lake.  I entered/exited the Cinder Hills mine, then walked all the way to that lookout specifically to check the temperature.  No dice.  This seems to be specific to the Abandoned Lookout on the Coastal Highway.

Weird. Are you sure the temperature in the lookout tower depends on 'triggers' from other locations and not something else, maybe current outside temperature? I dimly remember waaay back in a much earlier version (when blizzards were still great) the lookout tower could become a deathtrap, as the inside temperature would drop with the outside temperature during a blizzard (not as much, but considerably iirc - a fire would become necessary). Is that not a thing anymore? Or is my memory garbage and I'm mixing things up?

I'm 100% positive that at least the abandoned lookout is not affected by external temperature. That was my first thought, but spending a few weeks up there showed that not the case.  Every time I visit the lookout after coming out of the mine or the quonset garage, the temp is -1C.  You can even try it yourself--visit the tower, then take brief jaunt to the mine, and back to the tower to witness the temperature change.  (Assuming it was the colder of the two to begin with.)

On 18.9.2018 at 9:24 PM, ajb1978 said:

I'm 100% positive that at least the abandoned lookout is not affected by external temperature. That was my first thought, but spending a few weeks up there showed that not the case.  Every time I visit the lookout after coming out of the mine or the quonset garage, the temp is -1C.  You can even try it yourself--visit the tower, then take brief jaunt to the mine, and back to the tower to witness the temperature change.  (Assuming it was the colder of the two to begin with.)

Thanks for the info. Hm. The tower does not count among viable bases for me, so might as well be dangerous territory. I would like it to potentially contain valuable loot, but in return be a dangerous place to visit. Plummeting temperatures in a blizzard could serve that purpose.

Archived