Add landmark items to mapping...

Kauffy

I recently started my first new sandbox game since Wintermute was released, and this is the first time I've made any use of the mapping mechanic. It's really excellent, though something seems to be missing/expected, which is to record the locations of particular wilderness landmarks. Buildings and resources are mapped, but what I was expecting to see were indications for the large, set-piece trees. For example, the isolated, denuded tree, or those enormous trees that are bent-over and broken. Even a distinct rock-formation might help to place the player on the map. It's very odd that in the real-world, I have a very good sense of direction, but I don't benefit from it in-game, and can never ever walk a straight line. Landmarks would help.

I like this idea. Maybe even let us add notes to the map when we are looking at it in game. For example if I was standing outside a trailer in the hills in CH I could look at it with the center dot and use the charcoal and the game would give me the option to add a note to the map so that when I looked at the map (1) the trailer would be drawn and (2) if I click on it my note would come up "stash house, has bed, dropped bunch of hides and lantern" or "looted, has bed, outside fire pit" etc.

Archived