Quartering the Carcass Do I need a lesson in fractions?

piddy3825

Ok, so I am out doing a little fishing on CH across the way from the island with the bear den on it.  I come out of the fishing shack and launch a long range Hail Mary shot just hoping to draw his attention so I can lure him in as I back pedal towards the shack.  Next thing I know....screen_9094a72b-dc91-48d2-8051-cdf79f5f617a_hi.thumb.png.293a4a0cea64786080fcbbe88fd65e80.png

I was late in the afternoon so I decided the quickest thing to do would be to quarter this beast, knowing it would be a struggle getting home.

Two hours later, I am done quartering.  Here's where I am gonna need some help understanding fractions...

screen_887fda17-0cb6-45d9-8cdf-8ab4331b867f_hi.thumb.png.517a611796d73e86e8181aaf084637fa.png

Yeah, I ended up with 7 bags of "quarters."  Each bag weighed 9.7 kilo.  Just shy of 68 kilos total.  shouldn't there have just been 4 bags of 17 kilos each?  

But wait, at harvest each bag yields a mere 4.7 kilos totaling roughly 33 kilos.  Since I left those leg stumps behind, what ever became of the other 35 kilos harvested.  

Anyway, loving the game despite the math.

"Quartering" doesn't actually cut the animal in four pieces. I never tried to figure out the rule, but it simply chops the beast in big pieces, weighting less than 10 kilos. And they're twice as heavy as the actual meat you'll get from them, the extra weight is discarded by harvesting, bones and such. I'm not sure about the minimum number of pieces, but eight or nine are not unlikely for moose or bear.

10 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

But wait, at harvest each bag yields a mere 4.7 kilos totaling roughly 33 kilos.  Since I left those leg stumps behind, what ever became of the other 35 kilos harvested.  

When you quarter it into bags you are simply hacking it into chunks... including bone and cartilage.   When you "harvest" it you are cutting out the edible meat. So after discarding the bone and other undesirables you are left with half or less than half the original weight of the sacks.

BTW, nice shot.

Something to remember.

If you've just quartered a carcass and you're carrying all your precious quarters and guts be careful when you try to drop a decoy to avoid wolves. I just dropped a whole sack of meat and a wolf gobbled it up in an instant before I managed to hit it with an arrow. Talk about hunger.

Straddle the line in discord and rhyme
I'm on the hunt down I'm after you
Mouth is alive with juices like wine
And I'm hungry like the wolf
Stalked in the forest too close to hide
I'll be upon you by the moonlight side
Do do do do do do do dodo dododo dodo...

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Wolves quarter into 2 bags around 3-4kg.  Deer quarter into four, with each weighing between 4 and 5kg.  Bear and Moose can end up with up to 7 bags (at least I've never seen one produce 8), each one between 9 and 10kg.

I just quartered a moose on Timberwolf Mt.  got 9 bags of meat.  Check out my post called DinnerCraft 101, got a pic in there of the bags post butchering.  Most amount of meat I have ever harvested in the game ever...

Side note, each bag took 20 minutes to harvest and the quartering time took 2 hours.  So basically 5 hours total completely dressed out.  That does seem significantly faster than harvesting in place or is that just my imagination.  Havent butchered a moose yet otherwise.

Archived