I'm starting to like Forlorn Muskeg

Doc Feral

Let's make it clear from the beginning: Forlorn Muskeg is scary. There are so many wolves that I always expect to meet Leman Russ throwing bloody tidbits of ork flesh to His faithful pets. And there's thin ice everywhere. But apart from the abundance of deadly perils there's a forge. And many caves. And hollow trees. Lots of cat tails. And saplings. I'm really starting to like it.
On the other hand, the Broken Railroad is deceiving. You can find plenty of loot and good shelter between the hunter's lodge and the repair shed, but try leaving it. Two thirds of the map consist in a forced route with no decent shelter, and wolves waiting for you. As you may guess, I've started a run in BR and as I reached a cave in FM comfortably close to the forge I was quite happy.

Yes Forlorn Muskeg does have many benefits, but it comes with A lot of risk. On harder difficulties like Stalker and Interloper, the temperature there is extremely cold, and if you are fallowing the rails, there is very little cover from the wind, and the rails are the fastest way to get from one end to another. If you don't fallow the roads, you are mainly met with a game of hopscotch across the islands of snow, wolves, and occasional bears. 

But hey, if you like it, that's your opinion.

Archived