New Types of Afflictions from Work Bench/Forge

bois vert

I would like to see clothing articles to put into a good use in related to prevention of injures.  For example, you are working on forging a metal, higher chance of finger injury or a toe injury if you are not wearing a proper gloves or work boots.   Maybe 10% chance of getting toes broken because you are not wearing work boots while using a heavy hammer on work bench or if you are using heavy hammer, maybe chance of accidently having hammer hit your finger or any heavy metals falling to the floor and you are not wearing work boots, higher chance of broken toes.   If you are forging something and not wearing a work glove, maybe getting higher chance of getting burnt and unable to continue the work for a few days.  No amount of medicine can instant cure anything.  Sprain ankles or wrist can heal but broken bones takes a while to heal, making survival game more of a challenge.    Wearing work boots give 100% protection from any broken toes and work gloves protects you from burnt hand from the forge.  If you are in any type of pain, you cannot use work bench or forge until you are 100% pain-free. 

I would like to see more types of affliction.    I consider hunger an affliction to your body so if you are starved, you wouldn't function normally.  So chance of injures from any type of activities are higher due to starvation.  You wouldn't even do some work when you are thinking of food.  Eating food half-way to stop hunger would not prevent you from curing any type of affliction from the hunger so a good full meal would recover your afflictions similar to hypothermia affliction system that requires 24 hours of warmth so if you are at 2500 calories, you would have recovered from your afflictions.  So let's say, if I found only 1000 calories of food and it may solve temporarily stopping the condition from deteriorates but not necessarily heal from your afflictions but once it reaches starved state, then calories intake would start over.  I see many players are exploiting the hunger system and ability to recover the conditions so maybe being starved is not a good thing to go through, maybe giving them headaches as one of several symptoms.  When you are in stage of migraine headaches, your vision might not be good or cannot think twice and using a UI in a delay manner so you are not that quick when situation that called for it, for example, quickly grab your weapon when you see wolf attacking right at you but delayed reaction due to headaches affliction.  The price to pay for rationing the food.

I'm not sure how I feel about having to manually put on a different set of gloves and boots every time, let alone find/have them with me for working. What about, instead of broken toes/burns etc. you get tendinitis in your wrist/hands from working for extended periods of time at the workbench or forge within a short time period. Say 4+ hrs within a day starts the risk low, and it increases for every .5 hrs you work. Pain meds will prevent further condition loss, but the ailment lasts 3 days. Attempting to work within those 3 days is possible, but it only allows .5 hrs to happen and then returns the pain factor and condition loss, requiring you take pain meds again. (doesn't reset the 3 days though)

While I get what you are saying about starving, in reality a person can go considerably longer without food. (over 2 weeks, even over 3) And during that time they can still accomplish things that are needed. In TLD we are "starving" within a single day, and the condition would kill us well before 14-21 days. Which is why I feel that somehow making starvation worse when, in all technicality, we shouldn't be starving at all, seems like too much. Switch the idea over to dehydration and you have my support. 

Also, perhaps, a semi-rare common cold affliction could be an option, I'm just not sure how they'd want to implement that and doing so would have to be just a bout of bad luck, kind of like sprains are in the first place. No condition loss, but increased fatigue, reduced sleep effectiveness, audible sneezing/coughing/sniffling, and sometimes sore throat treatable with rose hip tea.

I know from the Milton Mailbag, that they are planning a new and eventual affliction of some kind that will require birch bark as part of the healing agent. Which leads me to believe that birch bark will be another natural healing item eventually. Personally, I'd like to see a natural replacement for sleepy time tea, maybe even a coffee alternative/equivalent.

I understand the hassle of putting on and take off the boots or gloves, it doesn't stop you from working without having them and you could pass through the work without any accidents.   Maybe 10% chance might be too high, maybe 5% chance would be better especially with early game strategy.   As for forging, maybe a common sense indicates that you need some kind of gloves but the higher quality, you get higher protection and not getting burn and only one type of glove is 100% protection.   I mean, you are working with hot metal and chance of touching a glove if you are spooked by a strong gust of wind or wolf seeing you nearby while working outdoor at FM region.   Accidents are bound to happen.   It takes a few seconds of using clothing UI, similar to real life, putting on shoes takes a few seconds.   Not a big deal. 

I like the idea of dehydration.  Maybe if you are dehydrated, you cannot really run that fast for a few hours , something like that.   Maybe your backpack feels heavy if you are dehydrated and even after drinking water,  you don't really restore from dehydrated for a few hours.

I'm sure that Hinterlands have the affliction in mind already but would like to see some "accident" from working too long in a day.  If you work on something all day, 16 hours, you are bound to get tired faster and chance of injury should increase, forcing players to manage their time in a day.   If you are cutting a carcasses then maybe you get cut from it if you aren't paying attention, and loss of blood and bandage is required.   Just adding spices to make the game interesting with variety injuries you may have other than usual wrist/ankle sprains and food poisoning.  Most players are able to avoid burning themselves to the fire even if the game has burn affliction in it but what if you are cooking, you could burn yourself.    Burns doesn't happen unless you deliberately cross the fireplace or broken electricity wires.   Maybe throwing random afflictions while we are at it to throw players off the track sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived