BareSkins are dying

BareSkin

20 hours ago, BareSkin said:

(...) I shout at the skies all my anger. As soon as I stop shouting, beautiful sunshine allows me to cook fish and make water without a match. Conclusion, the shouting technique works well.

The Thu’um Master glitch! That’s definitely cheating, please nerf ;)

Pity that you did not head to the summit, it would have been good to pay the Greybeards a visit.

Btw, great piece of reading! Keep those pages coming :coffee:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Senauer said:

Pity that you did not head to the summit

I must say I reluctantly abandoned this goal.

But I thought with no bedroll that was suicide, and since this run is going somewhat well, I made the choice to expend my life expectancy.

Stay tuned, maybe on another BareSkinX adventure?...

BaSk7-D28 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Full temp bar, outside is light fog, I hear crows, I find them down, 1.7kg meat on a deer carcass, the place sounds like a wolf site, I check there is an indoor nearby (yes! A trailer), hacksaw it and run into the trailer. Zero loot, of course another old bedroll. I decide it’s a better trailer as a coal stock, drop all my fuel (and of course the raw meat) here and go up to the first trailer, too move everything here on my next tempbar. Raw meat is rancid 30%, I should cookeat it today. I also want the deerskin. For pants. I'm getting greedy.

On the way up, other crows to the left, to be checked later. Going down fire at the dear carcass cause I need heat, water and deerskin (no mag lens, clouds). I realize I also want the guts, but that’s a mistake. There are guts in rabbits, and they can be harvest inside. While I wait the carcass to saw, I hear the crows, I dream the other team nearby is hovering over a dead Bobby next to a bedroll, and it starts snowing slowly as if Santa Claus heard me well. Jingle Bells, Jingle bells

screen_cfd11c0d-07a7-4535-9ef9-6695a1a7c71d.thumb.png.92ef36bfcd73e7e470ed1458047e0392.png

Because I’m a penitent scholar, I can harvest the carcass with bare-hands of a bare skin at 50% frozen state. Then I hear wolves, they must be on the ice today. Find a hammer in a car? Well… thank you. Lots of fishing gear, and maybe no fir? Place was called Log Sort, in the past… The others crows? An empty Bobby under a bridge, Santa is also a sadistic bast**d. But the crows are not there anymore. Maybe they leave the place when it starts snowing?

screen_c910959a-51f8-4eca-907f-3b056248d79b.thumb.png.5074ab37a6e4066fc69ec3619c6e48f3.pngscreen_08c29e7a-f8af-4cfe-94ae-afd5739a543c.thumb.png.daf8e3bb7c3979ff2a2c48e595de89c4.png

Warm hours, I go out check the place.. another deer carcass! Well, near the ice, so you’ll have to pray for the wind not to blow your fire while it thaws, else, the wolves… I cooked its brother’s meat while waiting for its skin to thaw. They'll soon be reunited in the afterlife: my stomach.

I fear for my fire, could start it anywhere shielded. Cooking takes meat from 20% to 70%, nice. Eat it right away, I hate being smelly, drop a coal in fire for temperature and process the carcass bare-hands.

screen_b1c044b8-038e-4280-972b-6dc5d4bf5fad.thumb.png.6f8bcb5ee87aaa73cce037ad7bc80820.png

Pick up everything (cooked meat, pots, and several torches) and sprint to Log Sort trailer, drops 2 steaks in front of the door, 1h reading before its too dark, 10h sleep.

2 deerskins, that was a good day. First time I sleep without needing the heal.

BaSk7-D29 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

CF is back. Of course. Grab one of the steaks, and finish “Survive the Outdoors” before noon. Cabin Fever 99%? Oh, sh*t! Rush outside, but it’s too late. That was a matter of microseconds. So tonight I have to sleep in a snow shelter…

Grab a hammer, many coals as it’s fuel for fishing night session and head towards the ice, I know there’s a house somewhere. Hum, I think, a night fishing session could be a good idea. One portion of the lake is owned by deers, the other by wolves, I wnder which side to go, the choice is so hard… On the island with a house on it, I drive a deer in front of me, but find only three moving guts I snap away and harvest inside before they freeze, and it brings me the late afternoon, perfect timing to grab curtains for a shelter, drop my fuel in the fridge because it’s near the door. The cotton toque is already at 95%, I repaired to 100% yesterday! Not sure it’s good if you’re short on cloth.

The house gives soda and sardines (34%), 12 matches, accelerant, pork and beans, 29% dog food that I drop outside, and of course toilet water.

Can’t find a f**king place to place this snow shelter even if the ground is flat and clear near the house. Seems the problem is that the ground is flat, and the shelter must be on a slope, its entrance towards "downside". Lose around 15% condition building it in the cold winds. Confirm it’s flat+15°C bonus. Drop my snares in front of it, where I found the 3 walking guts.

Eat the sardines, go to sleep until midnight to check temperatures, then 3 more hours, and pass time during late night cold hours until temp bar goes diving.

BaSk7-D30 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up greeted by 2 rabbits, unfortunately they can’t speak anymore due to snare presence. Harvest them inside and warm up. Clear cabin fever passing time in the shelter, get out and hear crows – my last deerskin ? Now just a dead empty Bobby, but yesterday the snow forbid the crows I guess. Rinse and repeat with crows behind the house.

screen_e25efefb-fcac-464c-8ff3-0d4f722cc712.thumb.png.f7fc5b846fddd6867a4b29e60ecdf062.png

screen_fdd5c9d8-8fb8-4bec-8e87-3e740ebf9954.thumb.png.923faea8aa248802c5ac7f5118c45371.png

No wolves, I go loot a fishing hut (flare, reclaimed wood) and another house nearby. 2 rabbits before the house, but I’m too cold and already have quantities of uncooked meat I’ve never seen before. Misanthrope, it was called (sardines, crackers, tinderbook, leather shoes, cloth, crackers again, soda, water) and it has a +8 bed. Grab the two bunnies when going back to my first island which I learn is called Jackrabbit. Fair name for a place where rabbits died themselves in front of your shelter!

screen_39abf244-4511-4869-8b50-25b571f59cfa.thumb.png.9dc29bb8b9193fc736bc04985a32c14d.png

Didn’t find/see any deer nor wolf today, and I can say that was actually the first day I enjoyed. No mission pressure, and no threat, nice sunset on the ocean? Paradise!

screen_41c373af-391f-4993-9207-a5964964a550.thumb.png.66093ff36cbc0b069af4d2e01a2748db.png

Just now, Drifter Man said:

I'm cautious to post anything here because anything could be a hint/clue :)

Do I understand correctly you're harvesting carcasses with bare hands? Any special reason for that?

Clues about the places I go are not a problem, I'm keeping at least a real-life week delay between adventures and posting the journal, so that I'm usually far away in the run (or in a new run) compared to when I posted.

I use my hands mostly because they don't decay. IIRC, the hands also take less time maybe, or maybe only on guts and hides?

Only other option would be the hacksaw. That's what I do every time the carcass is frozen (always) and I don't want to build a fire, cause a FL>0 fire is really expensive in fuel, and will be more and more with the temperatures drop in late Loper. One more reason for these last 2 carcasses is that there's no "cooking tool" nearby, so I'd have to build a fire anyway, thinking about it I prefer spending the fuel never the carcass, it's good cabin-fever-fighting and it makes my game more entertaining, a bit more "immersive".

Anyway the harvesting/hacksawing times to me are anecdotal, the question is "do I build a fire here" or not. If answer is yes, hands, if not, hacksaw. The mag lens availability, proximity of wolf-protection (distance I should walk smelly without a knife), air temperatures (time in the day), the easiness of protecting a fire, and proximity of a cooking place are the main factors in my decision, in that order.

I'm paranoid about my tools and the most efficient way to use them. Same with matches: once I have a mag lens the matches become a desperate solution, on several occasions I prefered to starve whole night waiting for sun next day. But suffering dehydration is worse than spending a match.

Also, If I'm really low on condition (<20%), I could decide I want to get rid of that red bar right here and now, for both technical and psychological reasons.

15 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

I'm paranoid about my tools and the most efficient way to use them. Same with matches: once I have a mag lens the matches become a desperate solution, on several occasions I prefered to starve whole night waiting for sun next day. But suffering dehydration is worse than spending a match.

I see - thanks. My hacksaw habit (even on fresh carcasses) is also just a habit. Hacksaw are easy to maintain - literally, it will be one of the last things to break before you die on day 20,000 - but one never knows :)

BaSk7-D31 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Blizzard today, I harvest 2 pelts for the sake of carcass harvesting training. When tempbar is full, I continue in the Shelter, and back and forth. At 11am, the sunny weather asks for mag lens cooking of all this meat I could literally dive into. While I start the fire a wolf barks at me. I smash ESC, with no results obviously, as I hear the wolf approaching I’m thinking, well, 30days is already quite nice dude. I so much avoid wolves, I forgot they fear the fire! It goes away, crying to its parents.

Still, I’m a bit shocked, I thought the island was safe, maybe a wolf from down below that came because of Scent? 2h later the wolf is back again, I have no scent, so it’s just a patrolled area. Not a good news.

Just as I finish all my cooking, blizzard forces me to sleep inside.

Note from future: I was so shocked on that day that I didn't realize the wolf did fear an unfinished fire. Later, it will seem like a broken mechanic but for now I couldn't care less.

screen_a67584e5-271b-4f84-b4ef-aec65150a0e8.thumb.png.805a4cc3779328e21f9607c325e6c645.pngscreen_7bcdec31-1ded-4d63-88c1-c2be4d99cc18.thumb.png.f4a5af330851f3d22eb60b26f20fa6b3.pngscreen_3424e1bb-3005-4974-8213-775b616c2b5f.thumb.png.4956bade801d49cf6ce46c009a4cbd62.png

We did, Nino. We did.

(and yes, thank you Backer)

BaSk7-D32 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up dehydrated and have no water. It’s cloudy but I like my condition better than my matches. It’s deer day today, I want these pants. Check the ice, I see only wolves. Skies clear up in later afternoon, head "north" towards a fishing hut that has nothing.  While herding a deer, I discover a Salmon right on the shore! Free food! Remove it from weak ice and drop it asap because it's smelly. A deer is near, and a wolf too. There are few things they don’t agree on, and the wolf wins.

screen_80da6498-99c4-474d-95e3-c21497f496db.thumb.png.8cc8ab45c834c1f7fc7b81c3e1e81ca7.png

screen_556f51f7-2e16-4eff-b131-8ea290dc65ca.thumb.png.105ad6c173df9a8f52146be9facd36c8.png

I head towards the cabins nearby cause I’m freezing, there’s a workench, and the cabins have beds, which is good news since it’ll be dark in 1h and I went pretty far herding the deer. I loot dog food, leather gloves, 2 granola, Frozen Angler and whetstone at the bench, some fuel and cloth at the nearby fishut. I’ve never found any pills yet on this run, unbeleivable. Eat the dog food and a granola and go for a 10h sleep-heal back to 100% condi. In what was a “Fishing Camp” cabin.

screen_ff348b0a-57d5-4a91-836a-c5cf63d357af.thumb.png.6e6a7b3abbc788b4718d9220af6b7d41.png

Still no Nirvana. Bouddha, you religion is a scam.

Just now, Drifter Man said:

I see - thanks. My hacksaw habit (even on fresh carcasses) is also just a habit. Hacksaw are easy to maintain - literally, it will be one of the last things to break before you die on day 20,000 - but one never knows :)

I have feelings for my hacksaw, I call it Catherine. First tool I had, and she's been faithful since then. She's pure, I wouldn't "mix" her with other metal scraps. (Truth is, I did)

I think hacksawing fresh meat is a better mathematical option time-wise. But since I'm not very good at getting fuel (wolves around, low condition, no knife) I usually spend time doing nothing, just waiting the fire to die making water, in order not to have to burn fuel only because of cabin fever. I value every hour I spend outside, so the time spent on my "carcassing" isn't relevant to me as soon as I have built a FL>0 fire.

There's also this thing that I wanted to hacksaw containers and became paranoid about hacksaw condition, then forget I didn't have to be paranoid anymore...

Negan_Luciell_shot!.jpg.2fa19b49c47721ddcad000246c10233e.jpg

1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

Throw away all those material things you believe to be important [...] Then you shall be free.

Can we make a deal on clothes? They're useless once you have around -80°C outside, a +20° bonus won't make any difference, plus I wouldn't have to spend cloth to repair my... bare skin.

BaSk7-D32 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Full temp bar, I go outside check the wolfiness of deer carcass, result: 200% wolfiness. Head back, use curtains for repairing while waiting warm hours, and brake crate for my future deer protective-fire. I notice 1% hammer per reclaimed wood. Sorry, 1% per breaking, so better brake multi-wood items. Blizzard at noon, I go to sleep for 3h. The 6-wood shelf doesn’t drop even 1% of the hammer, strange, I really don’t get how this tool works. I would have thought the coding was on a per-hour basis.

I face dehydration while waiting the blizzard to end, but it doesn’t so I have no choice but to go outside and start a shielded fire just for water. I miss my rabbit island which seems so far away now in the blizzard. At midnight the blizzard stops, but the winds blow torches and the wolves are still there. 14% granola bar and a hidden soda, sleep-heal until morning.

screen_feea0898-bf35-4ba0-8638-c02d93d5c2f3.thumb.png.1c7e1cb6f70f73e5e7fa3ce80be3ee3e.png

I've seen more productive days

screen_ba65ebad-75ce-45d7-af19-133f213c1f59.thumb.png.c673d877bfb336c5d73cd3f4e7ad5d5a.png

screen_a9b5e08f-5041-458a-bf7a-5dc10b2f835d.thumb.png.6cbaee0f299a3f718ee0a98b5f1aceb0.png

BaSk7-D33 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

I look for a long time at the emptiness of the kill spot. The deer carcass disappeared. All these efforts and waiting… for nothing.Wolves everywhere on the ice, I go back to Rabbits’ thinking that was not all for nothing, I found a workbench. Clos-able fishut produces only 1 reclaimed.

screen_49696af4-95e5-46af-9c5d-04bae510bda8.thumb.png.4bf2cafb041af8bbe45cf7d9e7f2099e.png

Have you ever seen so much nothing before?

But this place doesn’t have anything more to give, I should move towards after Misanthrope, there was some house next to it. Grab the cattails and 3 coals and go as soon as the fog goes out, late afternoon like usual? No wolves at all one the ice. I got a heart attack on the way because of Running Badge screaming alarm. Bear on my right, I continue to think there’s a link between bear presence and wolfiness.

screen_11e643e9-801c-4cc2-a0a7-ac58620a5ee7.thumb.png.4df57918fef105ea6ae4f33c8d1d426d.png

Nearly died in real life because of its sound

screen_03b9dc6f-52ac-49bb-aae1-9a73b961650e.thumb.png.710f05409f36e15edc78f5ab9b67b280.png

"Waterfront cottages", some crows, a deer carcass!, Maglens fire nearby, water making, thawing wait, reishi warmup cause I’m already in hyporisk, Carcassing 4 thanks to reading and tons of rabbits last week, hacksaw the meat (yeah @Drifter Man, I hacksawed with a nearby fire -last week)  and drop it right away. During sawing the snow started to drop on us (me and the deer), just before I take the hide bare hands I realize I’m a stupid man so much wanting a deerskin pants who didn’t make sure those houses actually had a bed for me tonight. I dive into pure fear when I can’t even find and indoor place in those burnt houses, and the bear is nearby, heading to my fire.

My blood stops circulating, my heart misses a beat, and my brain totally forgets about screenshots. I run towards Misanthrope before heavy fog, hyporisk doesn’t appear cause I already had it while sawing, I make it to the the house with 41% condition and heavy hyporisk, but I’m alive. Careless and alive means lucky. I hate when I owe my life to luck. I forgot a cooking pot, a can, a reishi and 1.2kg raw meat.

screen_08c23582-a0d5-4022-8dbf-eec26b7681a1.thumb.png.1725a2934a5ee6823c775197dfcad90b.png

"I just want to lay down for a bit"

I still have more than 1000 calories thanks to morning rabbits, so I fall into the bed for 10h, then 2 more hours.

10 hours ago, BareSkin said:

just before I take the hide bare hands I realize I’m a stupid man so much wanting a deerskin pants who didn’t make sure those houses actually had a bed for me tonight. I dive into pure fear when I can’t even find and indoor place in those burnt houses, and the bear is nearby, heading to my fire.

I had a very similar experience there - working on a deer kill, surprised by a blizzard, finding out that none of the houses actually stands.

BaSk7-D34 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Morning blizzard shared with dead sardines reading again a copy of Frozen Angler. Director’s cut version. Noon, clear sunny skies but strong winds from where I left a potential deerskin and a cooking pot. Winds drop around 15pm, FL-7 I wish I had a swimsuit! I head towards the carcass. Maglens fire, take the hide barehands and everything else without the slightest problem except I don’t manage to kill the nearby bunnies.

screen_57ea1879-d986-4ad7-9884-85cebc862b40.thumb.png.149a66cf0e4bbbd392d04f3d48366377.png

Found it as I left it

Inspect the place again, there is really no indoor despite the 3 houses. But lots of shrooms and empty dead Bobby, and a bunny proposes itself again to my stomach. 1h till darkness, quickly cook-eat the rabbits and venison (30%, no food poisoning) head back to Misanthrope facing a -17 wind with my third deerskin.

BaSk7-D35 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

I’d like to let excessive water in the toilet before leaving, but I can’t, so I magically craft some plastic bottles. Morning blizzard coming from Rabbit’s, pass time… Make it there in the morning, two snare rabbits and 7 cured guts waiting for me, go indoor drop the Skin to cure and repair the shelter thanks to good sticks on the way and lots of curtains. Cook meat, water, sleep. I’m so full of calories, tomorrow I’ll be at 100% health, Loper sounds easy, for once.

Checking the cooked rabbits condition, I understand you have to keep it in freezing area, including when there is a nearby fire. That’s the only reason I see to explain why freshly cooked rabbit dropped nearby fire can be at less condition than the ones cooked 2 days ago, stored near the shelter.

screen_c1c258c7-d453-4cf4-bb76-4f01e022edd6.thumb.png.4aa36d1159d4bdfa224e99af42ec9d0f.png

BaSk7-D36 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Beautiful day, that would be a crime not to use it. I have to find the trailer with the 2 other skins, and bring the 3 of them and cured guts near the workbench. The last of them will be ready in 4 days, in the meantime I have time for exploration. Evening blizzard forces me to stay near the workbench, without food so I’ll have to pick in my cattails stock I always have on me. There’s a venison waiting for me in the snow at Log Sort, I dream about it for 10h.

screen_c11505db-7756-4872-ae26-481a1b2a3314.thumb.png.e2b6bb63b1d8653fafe1413acefd5b5c.png

BaSk7-D37 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

The cotton toque wears out much more rapidly than the tuke, despite being inner layer. Full temp bar, I drag some craftable stuff from Rabbit’s to the workbench, next tempbar an exploration run teaches me the Fishing Camp is just under a Bear’s home. Next temp bar, explo run ends on a dead end road, crows uphill, a deer carcass. Maglens fire, harvest and eat 1.3kg and take the hide of course, in exchange for a coal. Back to fishing camp at dusk, 1000 calories, 3rd deer hide @44%cured, will be ready on Day 40. 10H sleep-heal brings me 31% health and back into cabin fever territory.

screen_0b6a41b2-5214-4ced-a450-ff10d602123b.thumb.png.2d8b5ce4d7159f31f662c06963f7a6ea.png

BaSk7-D38 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Plan: Late night to Rabbits, morning to Misanthrope and exploration beyond the no-indoor cottages. Beautiful morning, very clear skies, I head to the last 2 fishuts I didn’t explore yet, and see a wooden structure uphill.

screen_068b8792-5414-4501-a2fa-606793fb4341.thumb.png.2e24d7f34a2cfb2459b9dee6b16e9d70.png

The access to there is near a set of houses, I get barked at as soon as I approach. I run back towards Misanthrope, and see there’s a carcass also, near the house but on the ice.

Late afternnoon, the winds are strong and would push be towards the wooden structure. But that also means if I need to turn back or can’t sleep there, I’m dead. 1h later the winds stop and I head towards the carcass, FL-13. Hacksaw-cook meat chunks while waiting a 75% frozen to take to hide with my hands. Run towards "Coastal Townsite" as they called it, hear a lot of wolves sounds (footsteps, crying away for what reason?…). I enter the first indoor place I see, it’s too late to get to the wooden structure. The house has a bed, woot! Plus salty crackers, running shoes, granola bar, soda, sport socks!!!

Go out get some sticks, I really don’t like the place. No visibility, it sounds like you’ll get wolfed as soon as you step outside.

BaSk7-D39 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Today we’ll try to reach the wood thing, while not risking to get wolfed, quite a challenge. Well, I get barked at as soon as as I set foot outside… run back and think. No scent, was crouched and I just had time to check a mailbox, this place must be a full time patrol.

screen_915f3f37-b414-4459-8011-57cd0cb04c7d.thumb.png.e4c6f3b1c9887ee627970f08323f8897.png

OK, pass time 1h to let the wolf go away, go out with the backdoor of the house, crouch, wait… nothing. Go up the small crest still crouched, ooooohhh…. I’m at the garage! Loot a car before the wolf barks again, get inside the car, let it go away, then sprint to the garage when I know it can’t reach me.

Once inside, I realize there’s nowhere to sleep here, but don’t panic, at worst there are the cars, but that would require lots of fuel, and we’re still in the morning hours. Loot produces: recycled can, granola, crackers, under the fridge a green soda that you can’t take it’s part of decoration, disinfectant I drop, 2 indoor workbenches, hacksaw, reclaimed wood, 1.5L jerrycan (useless?), A BED (forgot about it), rifle training tinderbook, 0.4L lamp oil, 22% wool scarf that I suspect will be better than my cotton once repaired, crackers again, quality tools, summit soda, another recycled can, a whetstone I still having nothing to use on. Good loot place, no surprise the wolves patrol it, must be a good human-meat spawn for them.

screen_a87f906a-8c35-49a6-b365-26b18a66c186.thumb.png.98d44d88be205ba222f9ed58bc9fb179.png

Yes that's where we're headed

The wool scarf and cotton toque are identical except wool is more waterproof, so I switch. I also hope the wool will decay slower than its cotton counterpart. Repairing brings me to noon, nice light, I double check the place, nothing more. Loot a nearby house I reach crouched: tinderbook. Warmed up, go uphill with my fellow flare. We spend a lot of time together, I should name it.

Mid afternoon, outside snow-before-blizzard, but I keep pushing since I have two beds to back me up. The blizzard arrives 2 RL minutes later, I’m heading towards the local bear, but find shelter in a trailer: herbal tea, another old bedroll that enrages me, another pair of jeans - I already have 2. Sleep 2h waiting for the blizzard to end, cabin fever is back but the blizzard is still here at nightfall, CF 40%.

I don’t have enough cloth/sticks for a Shelter so I decide I might go to destination under moonlight. 1Granola, 1 soda, 5h sleep-heal. Wake up with lesser cabin fever, I arrive at “Abandoned Lookout” without meeting a wolf, but with a close bear encounter, 4 birch and 1 maple: cooking book, matches, 0% Peaches, 0% cotton toque for making a shelter, 1 rope that must be usable somewhere near I guess.

screen_4f191a11-b846-4a78-93f1-75b9544a2e87.thumb.png.91c0a1d9b5b69b970bf85ffc5c714256.png

Bedtime. FL is still positive after midnight but I fear that’s the kind of place like Mhut that could freeze me to death if I go for long sleep without fire. 1 soda, 3h sleep. Still stable -3 Air temp, that seems like a constant. Can’t sleep more, go around check the place, it’s aurora night, deploy the rope for what could be a way to go back “home” avoiding the garage.

screen_62e0a6d3-5913-42ee-a2d7-48c40541aa31.thumb.png.6f8c8888161f2ed68cf4f65a3860fbea.png

Oh, did I mention about not finding the bedroll I came for?

BaSk7-D40 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

At dawn I go checks the crows sounds under the rope: another rope, and 2 destroyed houses. I place my bets on an empty dead Bobby. Go warm up in the bed, take hide and saplings, leave some water and sticks, but blizzard kicks in, shutting up crows beaks. I see I’m just above Log Sort, so finding a shelter after these two ropes should be easy, I go out late afternoon.

Down one rope, empty Bobby and backpack as expected, down the other rope, another empty Bobby, plus two intact houses I couldn’t see from above, and some rabbits nearby, and a bed! Sounds nice. Both houses produces no loot, I go exchange warmth for food (=hunt rabbit), harvest inside, fire, cook, sleep. I did map the place while waiting the rabbits to cook, can you believe it? First zone since I’m in CH. Cooking 4. I have so much wood, cloth, and cabin fever that the Shelter became obvious, but I’m at negative FL inside right after dusk so I switch to the house with 46% condition but few Fatigue to spend on healing so I run like a retard in the cabin.

screen_315a932b-4a46-45d5-8f8c-3379d8244b2b.thumb.png.bbdb63b81e8d1890ccdda3f7ad4c6d65.png

BaSk7-D41 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Arriving at Log Sort with difficulty in a medium fog (can still see the power lines), I’m greeted by a wolf, but I make it to the trailer door before him. Left some sticks and coal in here, nice. In time, I’ll get them to the open workbench where I have my skins. I don’t want to go near the Garage ever again. I drop here the additional hacksaw and toolbox, loot the coal. Head to Fishing camp via the road, outrun a wolf, find the camp, where I left a lot of loot (prybar, hammer, storm lamp, 1.5 kg of calories items, 22 coals, 70+sticks, many craftables). The fourth hide is at 76% so I’ll have to wait a bit more. I laugh seeing a small green backpack is 15kg, and a big drawers is 5kg. Refuel the lamp with oil found at the garage, take a fresh sewing kit.

I realize while reorganizing the place that I can also craft deerskin boots. That’s a good day, even if the blizzard keeps me in. At the workbench, I understand the pants will be 12.5 hours, I’m a positivist today so I tell myself I don’t have to find something to do to kill time while the boots are curing inside.

The game proposes me to spend time outdoors, but when I head out its -50°C, mid-afternoon. I spend time running stupidly in the cabin, and get a bit of real cabin fever. Thinking I braved the cold morning to be able to craft in warm hours...

screen_245c07de-97ac-4fb4-837f-e461134c5aa2.thumb.png.577bda8e4e18f857558f05d504fbb348.png

At nightfall the blizzard stops, match-torch, torch-fire, cedar and sticks near the workbench, FL positive with 3hr fire, I’ll have to add coal during the night if the winds stay still. Condition 39%, CF 65%. That’s 2% sewing kit for 30min crafting. In late night, I calculate a ~100% outside fire bonus, since I craft 30min in a 32 min fire, and there was still 16min remaining after that.

screen_80c7d4b6-91c8-4cae-a8c7-c6c76e24683a.thumb.png.c9b3559d325e33ec1ae6d7e78c18fb9f.png

Just before dawn, a blizzard kills my fire. That’s a good thing, I couldn’t stop crafting (5.5h remaining, +9L water), was starved and exhausted (but CF back to 5%) with only 25% condition. I head indoors, eat some of the stacked calories (granola, chocolate, sardines), and sleep-heal for 10h back to 57%. My mnemo-remembering switches from 4 to 3 full sleepheals for a full condition bar.

BaSk7-D42 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Soda on morning evening, finish my calories with 2h reading on cooking. Late afternoon blizzard seems like a routine. Looking at backpack, hum, seems like I’m doing the pants and the boots (11.5h remaining on boots) at the same time. Wonder if I can finish at least the pants with 1 less skin than the total needed. At midnight, scientific curiosity: it’s -58°C outside.

The blizzard ends, I go back to workbench, forgot my cooking pot there in the blizzard, it’s down to 63% condition. Sewing kit usage on workbench is 10% for 2h, so that’s actually 2.5%/30m, not 2% from previous measure. Finish the pants, and there’s a strange game mechanic going on: I have no cured gut left, despite not having done the boots, we’ll see… I still have cured guts so there’s no big deal.

screen_f7e04631-f93d-4807-a236-e26ff542bb93.thumb.png.846928e0c7a81e7632de5193febdea04.png

BaSk7-D43 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Morning blizzard, pushing towards Rabbit’s. But I’m exhausted, so it’s eat-sleepheal for 10h, from 46% to 78%. 32% for 10h confirmed again, I’ll stop watching it. Finish my calories on reading, evening blizzard anyway. Notice a bug where scrap metal quantities in a drawer won’t display: you put three, it appears like one graphically (the weight is 3x). When you select it, the “x3" indicator appears.

screen_3afb7481-7fea-489e-9f25-12c505e1c305.thumb.png.0dc33d0a6cfdc25beb661ed677db3740.png

Can’t go to Rabbit’s in the night, no moon. Last deer skin is at 72%, I pass time until morning. At rabbit’s in light fog, I find my shelter at 10%. Thank you, curtains and nice sticks respawn. Cooked rabbits are at 78%, the freezing works really well. I use some to read and finish again “Field dressing your kill, vol.1” and wonder why nobody in the island bought the vol.2 ? My 3 snares have been triggered but no carcass, I guess they disappeared frozen.

On Day 38 I wanted to explore after the no-indoors spot, but changed my mind to check the wooden structure uphill which is now “Abandoned Lookout”. I really need a clear and warm day to go so far without a bedroll. For the time being, I prefer going into the renewed shelter to clear CF, since it’s “only” -14°C outside.

screen_25246d4e-6775-49de-8b2c-e0191e6ae172.thumb.png.6f0bd2af3375c4063bbabdb0354739d2.png

screen_659e1955-b5d4-4daa-8135-13fc59947a08.thumb.png.4ec28673f18cfd7c0d8d70c4dc4325fc.png

BaSk7-D47 (I’ll adopt the game counting from now on, got lost cause of night crafting [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Beautiful morning is -53°C at 10am, how I am supposed to travel? A ruined raw meat becomes a 50% cooked meat, nice. I look at the world map, I’m supposed to find part of a railway in Coastal Highway, but all I’ve seen when going this side is a dead end, then got distracted by a deer carcass uphill. I have bad souvenirs from Crumbling Highway in Nomad, several near-death experiences involving weak ice and wolves.

Plus the forge in Forlorn Muskeg could be nice in the long run, since crafting more than deer requires a knife I couldn’t find anywhere, and killing for the pelts requires arrowheads. Mystery Lake is a known place too.

I get food poisoning eating 50% rabbit meat… I actually see it nicely, it’s giving me free Fatigue and I don’t need to decide where to go next, yet. Answer is my bed/shelter. Even in the afternoon the Shelter barely makes it to positive FL.

BaSk7-D48 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

I sprint within the cabin after clearing food poisoning, cause sleeping on it doesn't heal and I’m at 28%, so I need another sleep. I leave Rabbit’s hopefully for good with a full stomach on a warm late afternoon, at FL-27.  I have no other choice than using my flare to protect myself from some unheared/unseen wolf during the transfer.

screen_7c52d39a-4fd2-4862-b4e3-aadd1c118946.thumb.png.36684f2959a1a8eca5b110145c82be58.png

Start a shielded fire at nightfall and start to craft, shielded too. After 1.5h of course the winds turn, I’m glad I didn’t put coal in it yet. Switch position, continue crafting the boots.

screen_fb9e30a4-62db-4294-b960-1fb1e91ea97f.thumb.png.c12a275072d61359dffd83e9e9be4809.png

BaSk7-D49 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Boots finished, I must pack before leaving, I have a ton of potential scrap metal I can’t carry. I prefer hauling fuel in case I have to sleep "outside". I spend a lot of time waiting for the morning blizzard to end and I have difficulty choosing what to leave here, between scrap metal and fuel. My heart goes to keeping the coal, cause I won’t craft arrowheads once I’m dead frozen. I also keep only the best of my two hammers, it can be repaired with fir (If I ever need to repair it, it means I can have a hatchet) and I take the tools.

Winds stop, it’s noon, I go outdoors towards “north” to find the railway. At the dead end, I can go to the sea on the left (water, weak ice) or uphill on the right towards where I found a carcass. I explore all the way up keeping the map end on my left hand, end up at “Bear Creek”, drop a fire near a carcass cause I’m already at 57% hyporisk, I’ll eat and drink rose hips tea (of course I got sprained) before continuing up.

I leave cattail stalks and rabbits alone, cause strong winds welcome me after I eat and drink. I didn’t even warm up much, it’s too cold. I enter an indoor place with a bed called Rabbit Grove (useless sweatshirt). Lost 50% health on the trip (which explains why I didn't take screenshots, sry guys) I’m at 36%. But I have a bed and a full stomach. Just need to run stupidly to get fatigue. I sprint outside to get fatigue, hear a waterfall, go see and find a railroad and a tunnel which I guess leads towards the Ravine, looking at the world map. It's really late, I wonder if I should go for it now. Decide it’s too late, but I still have time to explore a bit before going back down for sleeping. I’ll recall Coastal Highway can be entered only from “above”.

I see a trailer in the distance, I’ll go check if it has a bed. It has, and the empty Bobby won’t use it tonight. Old bedroll, again. Spend my tempbar to build fatigue, but is takes my precious calories, I hate it. Go sleep with herbal tea, wake up before the 10h at 70% condition, make a late night fire cause I’ll be dehydrating soon, spending a coal since I’m too heavy to pick up more than few sticks.

screen_594875f8-63e4-4e5f-95f1-08cfe9d56573.thumb.png.f81035eb279c821342f30ea7b3273424.png

I didn't think the late interloper temperatures would be so brutal. The mere fact that you have/want to move is risky, so imagine you don't have a bedroll, don't know the map to make sure you'll find a bed... this is authentic survival feeling, throwing yourself into the void!

I'm usually pretty detached when playing, but on this occasion I was really thinking I'd be dying and forgot everything else, just before I found the cabin. Usually hitting F9 is really not that much of an effort. Usually... Don't worry, I have screenshots later on ;)

BaSk7-D51 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Silent Hunter achievement in interloper. ""Survive 50 days without using any firearm" ... as if I HAD A CHOICE. Wonder how many people unlocked this on Loper, that's pretty challenging thinking about it.

No winds, I head in the night towards the tunnel. Can’t lose any clear weather in such a long trip. Of course after 10m in the outside morning cold, I'm already frozen.

screen_628772e0-4fcc-46d0-a6b2-963edebe293f.thumb.png.8af4e86c9e33902bd10c2a93169ceea6.png

I go through another tunnel (no loading screen) before the wind picks up, I see reishi on the right side after a bridge, and a cave. I stop here for a maglens fire which I bring inside after. Warmup a bit then quickly go outside for the 2 rabbits I’ve seen, in case a blizzard kicks in later. 26% condition, lost to freezing of course. A coal fire needs 3 sticks, and I will remember it, I promise. At noon the sun disappears and I fear having to spent a night in the cave with Deadman3 (not very talkative), eat the last rabbit before fire dies out, then go out with a reishi warmup and a torch.

See this rope fixing point other side of the valley ,go across the tree bridge, hide in a second cave in order not to freeze to death. There’s a blizzard outside. Use the cedar I find here (Deadman3?), prepare my new reishi warmup, condition 25% when I go out hacksaw the outside carcass, come back at 23%. I do hope mystery lake is not far. Good point is, I head towards warm hours.

screen_8395726c-573f-4b96-a212-b68128adf5b8.thumb.png.adefb72e6077497034e877f2567b7e71.png

Exhaustion is a menace, outside strong winds and snow, but no blizzard, I try my luck and go out warmed-up with an instantly blown torch. I need to find the railroad again, and follow it to the left since I was on its left at the tree bridge. I find it, the winds are pushing me towards the exit. I refrain from taking sticks and running, that’s hard.

Loading screen “Mystery Lake”. Alleluia! Quite sure the Dam wolf is here but still have half a temp bar. Can’t go to the dam immediately since there is no bed in it, I must aim for the outside trailers. Can’t see the wold, he’s a day off, good news. Or maybe it’s too cold even for him? Drop a lot of stuff in the trailer, keep prybar and lantern for obvious reasons and head to the Dam.

screen_c531a247-e99e-4915-9247-c0889cda9831.thumb.png.2197fa3c48328f05ab31fe392bb1ad7f.png

I pick the nearby shrooms, the wolf is patrolling. Deer carcase inside the fences. But for later. Upper Dam loot: fleece mittens, aqua tablets,wool ear wrap in the safe (more about that later), simple tools, trail boots, leather shoes, matches, wool toque, granola, cloth. Make it back to the trailer outrunning the wolf. Both head gear are very nice finds.

screen_14391896-d223-43a5-b768-ca190afd1682.thumb.png.a8cda291993662141fa16403d2ee756e.png

About the safe, I told myself “hey, you’ve never seen any note or mean whatsoever with safe codes”. In wintermute you open one because you are told the code. It means you have to open it without knowing the code. Playing with it a bit, I notice it makes a sound when you have it right. Just need to remember the starting direction. Nice reward :D

BaSk7-D52 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Lower Dam loot: disinfectant, cloth, bandage, disinfectant again, my third hammer, wool scarf, sewing kit (nice, all this craft was costly on previous ones), soda, cooking book, sewing kit again. Outside, maglens fire near carcass, harvest it and back to the trailer to organize loot. It’s a beautiful day, but I planned on healing in the tailer, since I’ve eaten. Anyway, the weather turns bad, so it’s a 10h sleep-heal under herbal substances influence (4.3%/h).

BaSk7-D53 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Plan: difficult choices for <30kg backpack, and finish the day at Camp Office, using the side-road ending on the lake.

Crackers, read cooking book towards noon, .5kg less. Had to leave the second (third) hammer behind. It’s so hard to leave the river with all the sticks and cattails untouched. I arrive at the blind, the wolf is feeding on a rabbit, I take my chance.

screen_ba314d47-07d5-4243-9537-d1104fcb54c9.thumb.png.0f9b6ab693ed75acdf11ff66966d87df.png

Prybar in there, and of course the wolf finishes its dinner as soon as I arrive. I say byebye to looting Alan Cave, I light my last flare I wanted to keep for the lake, can’t outrun the beast, have to think quickly.  Idea: maybe the torch would allow me the 5 minutes needed to light a fire. Good news, you can light it with the flare. Wolf cries away as soon as I start the fire, for now. I sprint to the opposite river bank hills and pray I don’t see another one after my flare ends, but it doesn’t even end.

screen_5d071be5-8e11-4696-9d4e-0ab804fcfb8e.thumb.png.4435d68a5977a5a9ffcca55120665e88.png

I make it fine to Camp Office. Science braimstorming: the wolf attacked me as soon as I start the fire with the flare, which means it considered me "without flare" then, but it did cry away when close to the starting fire. Defensive fires don’t need to be real fires, you just need to be trying to start it, a new lesson that doesn’t make sense.

Head upstairs to drop all the coal... OH MY GOD, NEARBY THE BED !!!!!

screen_e98bbcf8-3b2b-4805-a242-79a5fb95b919.thumb.png.2a751be8051042b4a611ce4f312b88ca.png

A B.E.D.R.O.L.L !!!

I find it in a god-light halo, stars are shining around it. Or maybe that’s just my vision. I put it back to 96%, I hug it, I ****** on it, I thank the gods, I name it (Sophie), then, the hype goes down a bit. “That will come in handy”. For once, you’re right Mackie. My BedLoper will end soon, after 54 days.

Loot Cotton toque, Jerry Can 1.5L, tomato soup, hook, water tablets, third useless whetstone, useless recycled cans, useless rifle book, pork and beans. Dropped the cooking pot in CH to travel, but don’t find a new one in here. Can’t have everything, uh?

Reclaimed wood fire (95% with stick start, 1 fail cause I'm too stupid to use a torch), water, pork and beans, sleep.

BaSk7-D54 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Plan: loot the lake and find rabbits, plus place snares.

The "Lake Trail" is very poor with sticks, first and last time I take it intentionally. Lake cabins give herbal tea and lot of emptiness. After 3 houses, then 2 more houses, I stop in a cabin because of heavy fog, I don’t want to get wolf-jumped while following the shores to the next cabins.

Next tempbar is spend on harvesting nearby cattail stalks, since it seems I’ll be sleeping here. I don’t forget to run on the shore to get enough fatigue. The fog lifts a bit, I continue around the shore, bear on the lake. Next cabin gives nothing, I’ll sleep here, so I spend a match on fire-water. Snow instead of fog, more cattails on the way to nearby fishut loot, but bear patrols so that’s a U-turn sprint.

screen_e18be5c0-b923-4464-bdf0-893a4e7ab4d3.thumb.png.aaa2cbd1baff180aa1b0de2d472eabd5.png

30minutes later, the path is clear to the fishut, I find in the cabin 1 cedar, 1 whetstone, 1 sewing kit, and guess what? Another bedroll. So, I spent 50 days unsuccessfully looking for one, then find one everyday? The game likes irony.

screen_8fd518f5-8098-4539-b2aa-b3e6c1917a12_hi.thumb.png.94d1f4f9edb3a102e1e9f5faa408ee6c.png

Next day, I stare at these two bedrolls, not believing my eyes

Cattails then sleep in the cabin for 10h, blizzard outside.

BaSk7-D55 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up with cabin fever back. Medium fod, can’t see any wildlife so I head back to Camp Office via the middle island cattails. Fishut with Frozen Angler, reclaimed, cloth, hook. Another one gives tomato soup. I exchange some health for cattails stalks, cause they are the traveler’s friend.

I enter Camp Office. I forgot my snares at the cabin I slept in. Plan: Forestry Lookout and back before night, but snow begins with white fog. I’d not be surprised if a blizzard begins. 1h later the fog dissipates but not the snow, I go outside. At the derailment, no wolf, but matches and cotton scarf. I also find hypothermia. As soon as I arrive at the Lookout, blizzard. 29% condition. Water tablets, sewing kit, cooking pot and a new mag lens. Not that mine one was decaying, anyway.

screen_bcbe2598-7eee-4931-9e67-880eb5c80a24.thumb.png.b61db0ad71ef570d47874482f20cdf92.png

Eat cattails and sleep for 4 hours (back to 36%) until warm evening, but the blizzard doesn’t stop. The cotton scarf found of course doesn’t beat double-tuke setup, harvested. I spend tempbars running in the stairs and around the lookout top floor until it’s too dark. Cattails, herbal, sleep-heal.

screen_ef0c3905-c541-4f44-95fb-b270180e4022.thumb.png.8c8c1650fdb7c12afe49520157c7e34c.png

On 04/10/2018 at 11:23 PM, BareSkin said:

Use the cedar I find here (Deadman3?)

I'm afraid I took all my supplies with me when I jumped. I left two cooking pots in the Dam, in the lockers on the left just after you enter. Feel free to take them, I have no use for them anymore.

BaSk7-D56 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up in an aurora morning, no fuel no water, so straight to Camp Office. Shielded maglens fire for matches and bonus, water. It’s so cold outside, I don’t see how to reduce CF without burning a lot of fuel. Fishing would mitigate the loss but still be quite inefficient on my rare sticks. Another cooking pot in Camp Office I didn’t find before.

screen_28c7a9ae-c1d3-4cb8-9fc2-aab9e6dcd5a7.thumb.png.7dc216656da768c34cc01b64bc3706bf.png

At noon the winds stop, I plan to go to Trapper’s, and maybe back. Take 3 sticks, 2L water and 14 cattails for the trip, which is 2 nights. I leave the place under the bright noon sun but against the winds, with 42% health. I have to stop at the Tunnel for a warmup pause, reishi tea on a maglens fire and push. The temperatures are brutal even in noon sunshine. No loot except rose hips. 1h shielded fire in sunshine brings me at FL-9. I wonder if it’s still efficient to stop for warmup, I think I won’t do it anymore.

Before arriving at Trapper’s, there a very warm (-1) cave on the left you can’t enter in Wintermute Ep2, it’s written ‘Leave Mystery Lake”, so I guess I goes to the ropes under the gas station in Milton from when you finished Ep1. Will explore it later, but I have no reason to go to Milton anyway. Arrive at Trappers around 1am, deer carcass in the nearby barn, stone a rabbit (need new snares) and enter the cabin with 26% health.

To my surprise, Jeremiah is not here, and this dumbass let the infinite fire die! I wonder why I was confident some guy who escaped a prison could be somehow reliable… Harvest the full rabbit, then loot the place: cooking pot, hacksaw, sewing kit, cloth, sardines, cooking book. Patience on the safe gives me peaches and jeans...

It takes me a lot of willpower not to head to the unnamed pond at 24% and 2h left before dark. I’ll go for the nearby carcass instead. Only for the meat even if I need the guts. Once the fresh meat is in the cabin, I change my mind, it’s not everyday you can have a hide and guts with a mag lens, and it’s only -27°C FL outside. I spend a coal I looted on the way for the rest of the carcass when it drops at 75% while making water, take torch and reach Trapper’s to grab raw food, come back to fire to cook-eat it.

screen_b55f14ce-8a6b-4152-bcfe-809f74da74e3.thumb.png.cc9af99e71478d4bfc834e0163056979.png

When going back, light can been seen inside Trapper’s, is Jeremiah back for the night? That’d be great, we could play cards and speak about the past. I enter Trapper’s at night with 17% health for a well deserved and needed sleep, thinking I left the Outlook this morning.

screen_6399f78f-8cc9-462a-af1c-64823985b225.thumb.png.1832b75fc2f4fd762d9c3a37f7741c73.png

Jeremiah's back with its mighty infinite fire

It’s empty of humans. But this third deer hide means a second deer pants.

Archived