BareSkins are dying

BareSkin

BaSk7-D9 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion] part2

[...]I nearly kill my keyboard. I think quickly, I have clear weather and mild temperatures (-22), I lost 10% when coming, but I made a 14m hacksaw stop on a deer and harvested 20+ sticks. I should theoretically be able to make it back to the farm, and into its BED. Drink the herbal that was waiting for it from when I started the fire, and run for my life in midnight lights, blurred vision and flare in my hand, cause I would arrive to the farm from wolf territory. I sprint everything I can, exhaustion is not as bad as freezing. I see the farm orchards.

screen_1ead3039-8523-42e7-ba75-272561c7814a_hi.thumb.png.f7ab7492b8908485dca79b400d2c4b23.png

I’m barked at from somewhere on the left, can’t see due to blurred vision. I light up the torch, look again while heading to the farm, 2 wolves approaching. I prefer not to look at them, I look at the farm door, and hold my flare as if I was an old ultra-catholic grandmother in front of the altar at Christmas. I pass the door just before freezing and exhaustion become red.

screen_64af1b40-ccdb-459a-a67a-f92e6250cce1_hi.thumb.png.d72cb86cd1f286a2491bd47fb36248e1.png

screen_d19b8bb9-ce56-40e4-8c30-23acbab32b82_hi.thumb.png.b49d2898fa5f020ea0f4013229e8132b.png

screen_319f968f-5621-4099-8bc7-95598cc091e8_hi.thumb.png.6930d90e0dae4b6da78f662f86649a74.png

I dance with my flare just behind the closed door, show fingers towards the wolves, sing a bit, and head to the stairs. Thinking of it, that’s strange we can’t sleep on the floor (with less recovery and no warmth bonus of course). Drink a cold Herbal, I wake up at 42%, just before dehydration (from full) so the 9h sleep might be the sweet spot before dehydration diminishing return. Maybe 10h. Anyway, that’s +34%/9 h =3.8%/h, we end up with 26% herbal-bonus on a 9h sleep, not as crappy as I thought before...

With no bedroll I can’t go TWM to use my hacksaw, with no hatchet I can’t harvest the saplings for a bow to long-term survive in here, I’ll have to make a call soon.

Looks like I survived another night, plus starting at 18% and ending at 42% doesn’t seem like a failure, even if still no bedroll, and 12hr fuel burnt for nothing. I realize it is actually still burning. I’m exhausted in real life from all this struggle to survive. Good news it’s a saving point. I need a break, I love this game.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BaSk7-D10 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

I open the journal to look at the number 10, I’m a philosophical decimal man (12hrs on a clock? Why?) full of self-satisfaction.

New day IRL, I realize my brain unconsciously removed the existence of Skeeter "Thing" and the cabin just at the down of the rope. Maybe there are still places where I can find a bedroll, but after checking these and maybe pushing it to the Cache for all these locked lockers where maybe I could find a decent coat, I swear I’ll get out of PV if I’m still alive. Because even if I found a hatchet to make a bow, I found absolutely no arrowhead in the red barn.

I hate Skeeter, you go out of the basement only to get jumped by a wolf. I swore during Nomad Challenge that I would never again go back there... But now I need to check for a bedroll there. Plus I remember there’s a washing machine that could produce maybe a pair of socks? I locate this place roughly opposite of Signal, just behind a river, since when you arrive from TWM and go straight you end up at the barn. Go out, light fog ,FL-19. Arrive at the cabin at 36% health, “Draft Dodger’s”, they call it. Granola bar, chocolate bar, and woooot a second pair of jeans in decent state. There’s a bed also. It’s noon, I use it to warm up before the climb.

Wake up 2h later, go outside, strong wings from PV, I wouldn’t be shielded during the climb, I grab a ton of nearby shrooms and stick, can’t see the bunny that was there when I arrived, head back to the cabin cause temp bar is already over. I’m now starved so I eat the chocolate before going back to bed for 1h. I drop the hammer, 20 sticks and 4 cedars before going up with 15.06kg pack. Fatigue 70%, I’ll have to loot the basement fast and head to the cache if I don’t find a bedroll, or risk the climb down in near-exhaustion.

Go out, the winds died, go for the climb. F**k man, it’s a two-ropes climb! No idea if I will make it to the top, start the second one with 50% fatigue. Stupid as I am, I didn’t recover stamina before second climb, mid-rope I have no other choice than going down and wait. While I wait I pick some sticks and examine the place, it seems the ropes are not necessary to go down if you go left from the top, which is an important information. The second rope is long (twice the first?) and takes out my stamina and fatigue bars entirely. And now, I’ll have to check for wolves…

I take high ground to check the place, no wolf? Seems strange, I’d bet one is hidden behind something, laughing silently¬¬. I sprint and enter the basement literally 1 second after hyporisk starts. Cedar, fir, metal, a SWEATSHIRT!, cloth, oil, purification tablets and bandages, tomato soup. No bedroll, of course. I need to get out of this trap fast. I’ll process some shrooms inside, go outside, make a fire, make a tea while I loot around, and head to the cache slightly over-weighted with 19.6kg. I think I can use the lamp oil as accelerant. I should find the cache continuing to the north, then keep the mountain on my left hand. Before going out I remember to light a torch before. But I end up extinguishing it and use my mag lens.

The other house loot produces 22% pinnacle peaches that I just can’t drop, and a simple tools box I don’t even bother to loot. I cook tomato soup cause I’m too heavy and need a warmup to the cache, I end up at 15.00kg, but can’t sprint due to exhaustion. I get out just before the light goes out, with a new torch. Find another burnt house and an empty dead Bobby, I'm in a great fear to encounter a wolf, cause I dropped the hammer at the cabin before the climb, and can’t sprint. I prefer risking my ankle for getting high ground, won’t be losing the sprinting capability anyway.

Can’t go check the blind, even if it’s so close, my temp bar goes down fast in the orange pre-dusk skies. I’ll check it when I’ll head back, I manage to arrive at the cache just before hyporisk, and I’m ready with my prybar for the loot! After 1h sleep to clear this red bar. All lockers are empty, I forced 5 of them! I’m so despaired I don’t even try to read before sleeping. Granola bar, drink, 9h.

BaSk7-D11 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Morning winds are present but pushing towards Skeeter’s, I check the blind -carcassing book- and head to Skeeter’s somewhat shielded, driving a deer in front of me. Lost 5% to freezing when I run inside the Basement. Repair my new sweatshirt with my found cloth while waiting temp bar to go up, then when the inevitable blizzard ends after a lot of reishi crafting I go out to try my “no rope down” theory, but before I grab the wood I left there yesterday evening, since now I can carry 30kg. Works fine for the equivalent of first rope down, I crouch and zigzag my way to the other rope, next equivalent one OK too, same technique. Head towards the Cabin, my heart misses one beat – wolves! Two of them! I’m doomed for good! Like everyday...

Wait, those moving dark things are rabbits! And they are three. I kill two and head back to the cabin with empty tempbar. I wanted to push for the farm, but there’s a bed in here, I’m exhausted and I have fuel, and meat! The farm can wait for tomorrow. I harvest bot rabbits’ meat, go out for the third one and start of fire with all the fuel I left there before climbing. I feel like it’s a gift from the game, and decide to drop the 22% peaches in the snow.

While cooking, I wonder how in this damn hell is it possible not to get a bedroll and a hatchet for making a bow, since you’ll never have any rifle? Long term survival is impossible here, the game forces you to move. Tomorrow plan: after a good sleep in here with a 1300ish stomach, I head to the farm, try to survive long enough for the Mits, and then leave this hell. TWM idea doesn’t even cross my mind anymore, I feel like bedroll don’t spawn on Loper. I heard legends about snowballs fiunding bedrolls, but that’s legends made to make the kids sleep well, obviously.

Challenge Proposal: NoBedrolLoper / BedLoper. Simple rules: Loper, but can’t loot/use a bedroll. My record so far is 11days. I have no doubt it’s easy to break, but would still be a great challenge to any kinda-experienced player. Snow shelters will become fashionable, while caves are Hell. Other Idea: NoCoatLoper (inner-only coats allowed)

BaSk7-D12 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Read cooking book for 3 hrs before stomach is empty again instead of “stupidly” losing calories walking (this mechanic is really broken - either reading or the stomach), condi 44%. I’m about to go out when my first ever cabin fever risk pops up. That actually makes me happy, I’ve lived long enough to get CF like the pros! I think it’s funny the condition exclamation mark appears on the head.

Today, go back to the farm and the Mits should be craftable. Of course finding calories will again be an issue (I'll check nearby rabbit spot on the way), and I don’t have any flare left. Right on my path there’s a sapling, I approach it slowly to make a screenshot to share my frustration with you fellow readers. Gods know why – maybe my real life frustration not to be able to harvest it- I click on the thing once the screenshot is made. And… ooohhhh MADAFAKA, I’ve harvested it? How can that be, with no hatchet? My brain use some sugar and makes me aware I’ve heard the sound of a saw, not a hatchet. Oh man, that MUST be it! Heavy-duty saw made to cut through metal”, yeah, made to, but I can also use it on saplings. My scientific brain takes note to try on limbs, I didn’t even try limbs since I’m never on positive FL when outside.

screen_f230d94d-beda-4aa0-bac3-a1200622e898_hi.thumb.png.dcfb6519a314c0c67083533afe1cc453.png

I think “well, those guys reading on the forums will have a fun time reading this newbie discovery”. Actually it doesn’t change a thing, since unfortunately I didn’t find any arrowhead. I hear crows on the way, It’s far but have to go get that meat. Get some cattails on the way, the crows where for a Bobby. Start a warmup fire with mag lens since the weather is really nice, take the shrooms, loot the Booby, of course empty.

Think I recognize the place, I’m not far from the Three Strikes where I nearly died few days ago, remember I left some rabbits live out there. Wait, rabbits just right here actually! I feel like the game likes me today. Grab some shrooms and go hunt them with the warmup effect. The first one revives before I grab it, the second one benefits from a “sticky” stone that stopped right in front of him, planted in the snow. First time I’ve seen this “effect” (bug?), usually it bounces. Couple fails later, I, for once, don’t hesitate to snap these rebels. Total 2.5kg rabbit meat. I cook-eat all, I can’t afford neither the weight nor Scent @31% with no knife.

screen_96d27a40-ef8c-4549-a04b-915ec67df37a_hi.thumb.png.68684adfee5c8efbfef6aa98da89a494.png

It's so hard not to call it "home"

Fatigue-ressource, I’ll have plenty tonight. I begin to see the Code (“Code is Law”) behind the game, and make a decision not to go begin the rabbitskin mits, but reading while it’s till daylight and I have calories, then use the rest of calories to sleep-heal, then go to the workbench tomorrow when I’ll be starved. “Wilderness Kitchen” from M Hunter is moved in the tinderbooks cabinet. The left calories allow me to sleep for 8h, back to 51%. When I wake up, I’m not sure if I need to be angry at myself for forgetting to eat a cattail in order to sleep 9h.

screen_192a5554-40db-4f90-a775-de67f286b55c_hi.thumb.png.fec5ff1b9c30bd5db09a7318358b51be.png

It took me 12 Loper days to revise my moral judgment from the Mountaineer Hut. I couldn’t care less right now if it’s abuse or not. The Code allows? I do. I survive. Screw everything else, anyway there’s no candle in the churches anymore.

BaSk7-D13 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Day 13 begins with late night darkness. And since revising judgment is fashionable these days, I switch my trail boots for the combat ones because hey, any warmth is worth it, and that’s a +5°C, period. Weight is a problem only when you do have something to eat.

Cabin Fever builds up, but reading the forums I learnt that was an indoor/outdoor moving average over a week. I check my Journal (you’re reading it), Day 6 was about, sardines and food poisoning. So I have some confidence I spent some time outside in the meantime. Enough or not is the question, I’ll have to think about going on the barrel outside in late afternoon to melt some water.

I put to profit the cold night morning hours in the basement, I caress the workbench slowly, we speak together, and I make an offering: 6 guts and 5 rabbit pelts. I was right, crafting doesn’t requires calories (but breaking a branch or reading a book does, go figure…). The game likes me again, after half hour crafting, it’s blizzard time outside. I thank the Game for guiding my decisions and go finish the Mitts.

screen_3abc9585-64a0-46d8-b607-86e2878ff0da_hi.thumb.png.bdff267e0e73697a1d2c178f1560e791.png

The blizzard ends exactly one hour after finishing the Mitts (was doing fish lines), thank you, Game. Got 8 lines and 6 hooks, I wonder if we recover the hook when a line snaps while fishing? That’d be strange. I should scrap the blue tool box for 3 more hooks, lines are easier to get.

Late afternoon I go to the barrel, make water while practicing fire starting with torches in a safe environment - without using precious matches - until the wind doesn’t permits firestarting anymore.

screen_eeee0f4c-872f-422c-949a-ac119b43a40c.thumb.png.c29a4217bd2fcfabedad8638ee58e7b0.png

The Fever clears rapidly, and confirms the importance of keeping some kind of log. I guess it would have dropped even if I stayed inside. Crouched behind the snowed barrel, I’m not windshielded, I wait the fire to die while crafting fishing lines, eat cattails before sleeping with CF reduced to 26% (from 35 iirc).

BaSk7-D14 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Oh, My! 70% condition? Who’s the boss now, Loper? I regret my words as soon as they’re out, the game will have revenge soon.

I slept with my new mits, I now have to choose between going to the fish hut in TWM and check the caves for bedroll now that I have better clothing, or leave PV the Coastal Highway (or Ravine? can’t remember) via the coal mine behind Rural.

While transiting to the basement workench, I see there’s a deer in the orchard in front of the Farmstead (I nearly said my house), note to self: go check wolf activity in the other orchard.

screen_da473816-46a5-4a53-85ca-31cf87d7b799.thumb.png.9d6a02bd56ec31a8c1769060f469a95a.png

and wolf activity there is, indeed

Make metal from a blue tool box, hacksaw is 78% and the wiki tells me a repair is 25%, so I go for it with the blue toolbox I found at Skeeter’s on my way back. I had on metal (3toolboxes 2 prybars) what I lacked on coats and bedroll it seems. Failed twice, but I still have one metal for hooks, and the last gut has cured overnight, it’s becoming a snare. I am now the proud owner of a 100% hacksaw, 8 fishing tackle, 1 snare plus one additional hook in case I run out of sewing kits. TWM calls me. Else why would I be given hammer and 2 prybars? Siren call.

I go on a double mission outside, which is both a good way to survive, and luxury: stick round plus driving the deer in wolf territory. It’s too cold to look at the results, but I gather information that rabbits did reproduce near the bridge (lost my two stones and drop the idea of eating some) and gather 10 sticks. But I forgot I had a snare so I came back home with it.

Process shrooms, one one later I find three wolves but no deer carcass, and no living deer. Hum. Rince and repeat in the hay field nearby, 15 sticks, and about the deer we’ll see tomorrow. Time for fighting off Fever at the barrel, and fire starting training. Tomorrow, if no deer carcass, I’ll go for the rabbits at the waterfall. A blizzard stops CF reduction and firestarting traning after the first torch-fire.

10 hours sleeping from 56% you wake up dehydrated, at 87%. That’s a no-herbal base of 3.1%/hr, which is slightly better than the 3% from 9h, but only shortly. Since you wake up dehydrated 11h must be less productive, so since the number of slept hours is an integer, 10h is the best spot.

I spend the whole night and a blizzard inside, and CF drops to 16%. That must be confusing to a lot of people, I guess the should indicate “during the last week” in the condition description, so that at least player can guess why.

Outside, no deer, no wolf, it’s bear day. At the waterfall I snap two bunnies and make a warmup mag lens fire at the bridge, I intend to come back with Scent as I didn’t spot any wolf near the farm. And it works.

screen_2aa217fc-f8f6-4e2b-b9a4-49b65c038711_hi.thumb.png.fa559e835e9bbd174476b93a3855747e.png

Cookeat the bunnies at the barrel, go sleep 10h.

BaSk7-D15 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Condi 90%!

Today: eat the calories, read books to starvation until late afternoon, repair boots, take lots of cloth, get my pack under 30kg, then decide if I want the “easier” way to the cave and CH fishing huts or the “harder” way back in TWM and its fishing hut. Cabin Fever 55%, I have to spent some TempBars outside anyway.

Go out, Maglens fire at the barrel to heat Reishi, and head opposite to the signal tower. My choice is TWN containers. Encounter a fat rabbit just before arriving at the cabin under Skeeter’s, we talk a bit but he stops arguing after 3 stones, tempbar 15% so anyway, fire. The abandoned peaches are still there, at 5%. This rabbit was again the game speaking to me. Sleep here or push towards the cabin? Too exhausted to get to the rope, but I’m sure there’s a way around and the weather is warm even if cloudy and with light winds.

Reishi warmup, I head out keeping the mountain left had, arrive at the waterfall/bridge under the Cache encumbered, 20% fatigue, the winds against me, and wolves ahead. I take the shrooms and head back to the Cabin, good timing hyporisk appears 20m away from the door. Conclusion: I’ll go up tomorrow, via the ropes. That was a net loss of calories, but hey, price to be paid for bad decisions. Wake up 6h later with 96% health, oh my! I’m starting to get it! Midnight climb Is a no-no, strong winds and snow.

I sleep one hour chunks (now un-fatigueness / awakness?- has become my resource), between each I spend my temp bar outside crafting reishis and harvest torches in order to lose weight.

screen_fdd29896-6fda-4e44-bb98-17f6948b4a4b.thumb.png.3a521a6d6bc0d2f3feadd76559ffa568.pngscreen_66ee4342-a3ac-4b0e-a20b-15685990c180_hi.thumb.png.9b60b9368dd91dfac57f26081994d8b8.png

BaSk7-D16 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Late night, blizzard outside (-55° air+wind) . We’ll try to go to the cache in late afternoon, prepare transfer to TWM. Let some wood in the cache, just in case. Or maybe I can go the long way, keeping fatigue and make the TWM climb tonight? Weather dependent anyway. I drop 2L of water and 10of my sticks, in case I end up back here.

After confused mechanic understanding, I realize you gain the bonus from books only when you’ve finished it. Just like you get an items only after completing a multi-hours workbench craft. I complete “Survive the outdoors” by SJ Adams, it brings me to nearly Firestarting3, and nearly noon.

Blizzard dies out slowly around 11pm, I go to the rope, losing 20% temp bar on the way so I change my mind, grab-snap-cook-eat a new rabbit at the cabin (no mag lens possibility), drop 2 cedars and read “Frozen Angler” for two hours outside, tripling the stakes since I get rid of some CF and warm up in the meantime. In the warm late afternoon hours when the fire dies, I’m ready for the rope, but new blizzard… Crap! I go back inside and let my Reishi lose its warmup bonus in my backpack.

Last hour daylight, the blizzard is still raging, and I wouldn’t be shielded during the climbs to Skeeter's. I’m tired of this cabin, it’s small and there’s no one to speak with, seems I contracted cabin fever IRL. I sleep/pass time1h chunks, checking weather, at midnight I see a red “minus” above my fatigue bar, think it’s because I’m been starved for too long, realize it doesn’t make sense since I’ve seen far worse, and eventually understand it’s Cabin Fever risk 50%. I suppose when CF is 99%, you get only 50% fatigue bar available. I really need a fishing hut.

Midnight light, light snow telling me the climb is windshielded, I go to the rope in hope for Skeeter’s, but can’t find the rope and come back. See that Cabin Fever is back to 45% but still have the red Minus. I wonder if the penalty disappears only when you clear the risk, that’d be bad news.

screen_e3df51c0-bfec-48bd-b06b-dc52f17bd580.thumb.png.7a80686dbfb7f51d68c615b78f97cf00.png

Why would you want to "Reset Stats"?

BaSk7-D17 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Day break, clear weather, sprint to the rope and discover the rope and sprint share the same stamina, hate myslef, go back to the cabin to warm up. On my way up, start freezing between the two ropes, start a mag lens fire, it fails, get the second rope and head to Skeeter’s for warmup in the basement. I walk in order to keep this precious fatigue bar not empty, arrive at 71 health. Pass time, head outside as soon as temp bar is full.

screen_b8168716-aa0d-48f8-9ec2-2e642ef503bb.thumb.png.e0eb5df089dc11fa2dc5459956a6eaf3.png

Head out, light fog and – surprisingly - no wolf at Skeeter’s today. My goal is to make it to the cache, build fatigue up before dusk and sleep at Mountaineer Hut tonight. At the destroyed house on the way, I find a cooked rabbit piece. Is there another player on the map? Did I drop it myself another dayto get rid of Scent? Why not simply it eat? Well, I grab-eat it and stop asking questions, “the cold is making my head feel thick”. Get hyporisk passing by the blind, go sleep in the cache @ 67% condition. Calories from rabbit make sleeping heal for 4hours, which is perfect timing since it’s now around 10am.

When I wake up, red minus disappeared, so I guess it builds up above CF risk 50% threshold, like, maybe how long you’ve been above that value or something like that.

Head out, winds are strong, man, a blizzard AGAIN, really? I go rest some more in 1h chunks checking weather, the climb is not windshielded. Late afternoon, good weather and shielded climb, I run (walking) to the rope.

screen_c7b1d76b-975f-472c-a286-651a3d949de7.thumb.png.8b3ddb3aa7be599467d2d85ba7405662.png

At the top, check a wood limb remembering this hacksaw discovery on saplings, we can harvest it with the hacksaw! I just didn’t try it thinking the hacksaw was only on metals, like in game description lets you think.

When I arrive at TWM, FL is still @-10, like in PV, so my first observation of a -3 drop is not confirmed. Maybe I came from TWM unshielded and arrive at PV shielded? At that time my wind protection was 3° iirc, that would make sense. Grab tons of sticks, I try to take everything before the Landing Gear as it’s often out of reach from the Hut, on the hill just before the Hut I see rabbit fingerprints, I follow them and talk briefly with some cute wildlife, then sprint back to the Hut, with fuel and meat? Paradise!

screen_883ddfb2-2d5b-41bc-9463-944a4923793c.thumb.png.b85ab49c8f3b0ed45da69401eab0d2bf.png

screen_5722d16a-a62b-4ba4-b610-7d99bb0f4a87.thumb.png.25f1339020043e4610fc69d207b10b08.png

I left the door open in my midnight rush, 65% condition, 2h before night fall, the weather is clear and no wildlife on the lake, I drop the rabbit, warm up and trigger a save after 1h in the bed, and go to the fishing hut, dropping lines and fuel. Forgot to bring the hammer in the hut, but come back with 2 rabbits @60% condition. Tomorrow morning, The Frozen Angler by Ann Smith will help me wait the cold morning to pass while my calorie store goes to zero once more.

Can’t go to sleep, since I’m dehydrated and have no water left. Decide t go on a fishing/water session, this time with the hammer. I change my mind when I head out and get hyporisk instantly. Tonight, it’s the fireplace, and screw you, Cabin Fever. The mere fact that you can go on 10h sleeping safely is an achievement.

screen_6a2d479f-fba2-4669-9244-12384d523377.thumb.png.6e7806df2db157221d847bb9b907ede2.png

Bouddha said: "Get rid of you needs". I did, but didn't found the Nirvana.

BaSk7-D18 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up at 87%, FL-5 inside the hut, left calories let me study ice fishing for 1h, then I sleep two more hours in my bed not to lose a match, at 11am the FL inside the hut is positive. I’ll check the engine cave today with my full fatigue bar, hopefully just on sticks and mag lens, and come back in the evening to the fishing hut, cooking my last piece of rabbit before night.

I take the hacksaw and the additional rope I stashed in the hatch on day1, plus shrooms and hips in case I find a bedroll, I drop the hammer at the fish hut before leaving. I just have to follow the river upstream, there’s a rope there iirc that brings me near the Engine and its cave, and there are rabbits there. Light fog, I like it. Since there is no wolf I grab the cattails opposite shore and upstream. Locate a passage on the right before a fallen tree, but can’t afford to explore it before warming up. Light a fire, can’t warm up on it since I picked cattails instead of sticks, wait for a reishi to be ready and continue to push into this passage. Its ends up being useless, it takes me back to the initial rope target, but with a double sprain and there’s a bear in the area.

Heal the double sprain with the two rose tea I took with me (never found painkillers by the way), climb, hear wolves in the background, miss 2 bunnies and arrive inside the cave, light up a torch and go inside to a corpse, empty backpack, 1 bandage, no bedroll. Since I only have 15 fatigue left and no bedroll I don’t push more, grab 3 coals and back to the entry. There’s a container upstream iirc, but if I go there I won’t be able to climb the rope down to safety. That’s where coffee would be useful, but I used them all for my survival struggle arriving in PV.

I’ll have to find my way rock-downclimbing somewhere. Since I brought a rope up I’ll deploy it near the engine. While checking a way down and looting sticks. Rope deployed, there’s some kind of “ice edge” nearby, I follow it towards crows. They’re here for a deer carcass. Start a fire (2nd attemp, no mag lens possibility), drop all the sticks I just grabbed in it to achieve positive FL. Firestarting 3, thank you. Water, sawing carcass, cooking. Tons of shrooms and sticks nearby, but can’t afford to go 3 meters away from the fire.

Snow starts falling, 2hr till dark, my last tea warming up and my temp and fatigue bar empty, I’m getting nervous. I follow the path down, it takes me to the previous place I checked, the passage, and I see the rope I just deployed under the engine. It means there might be a way to climb there with no rope, if the slopes are walkable the other way up. I think I see a rope down on my left but anyway it’s out of question, I head back to the river.

I’m relieved to see the river and the hut, but the wolf is back. Detouring is too long, and I can’t sprint because exhausted. I’ll have to wait and sneak in, losing life is worse than losing more condition which I already lack a bit. When it gets close I stop moving and wait. I throw a stone upstream to make it go faster, but this dumbass makes a U-turn. OK, wait some more then and sneak behind.

screen_a155643f-044c-4ac2-ac90-5d4ab96b5f89.thumb.png.633e92ea334b24bf300ba8bdeda13084.png

It takes me two eternities to reach the Hut with 23% condition. I learnt today that even in a fog, the best hours are still not warm enough for my clothing to be at the Wing containers without a fire. Let’s hope tomorrow will be bright. I immediately go to bed for calories and herbal benefits. The deer was poor (.7kg) so I use the granola bar found near the corpse and cattails to make it to a 10h sleep, which brings me from 23% to 61% (3.8%/h w/ herbal, nice!)

I think if I had pushed more in the cave, I would have died frozen before arriving at the lake, either on same evening or in the next morning cold. Or maybe I would have found a bedroll? Who knows.

7 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Nice to see you snowballing in TWM :) Keep on keeping on!

I fear I'll have to disappoint you quite soon, TWM is harsh for a 7th Loper :D

BaSk7-D19 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Eat some cattails to finish the Frozen Angler on late night. There is no light but it’s allowed to read, maybe night restriction applies only to real “indoors”, or that’s the true purpose of the hole in the Mountaineer Hut’s roof? Anyway, “8% chance of line break on catch” sounds awful, but I guess it means it’s an untold 10% base when level one.

screen_999d1fa5-080a-4dc6-977d-0893cb989e24.thumb.png.ef5d4d81c78e58617b0f3ac7582a2e03.png

Bring my second prybar to the fish-hut

Today's plan, driving deer in the wolf, fishing, weather permitting expedition to the Wing. I really need some better clothing. And matches could become an issue, 15 left. Never thought that could actually happen... Grab raw rabbit meat in the hatch and go drop it in the giant freezer outside. The day is clear, I see the tail section but don’t think of going there anymore after yesterday near-death experience. I think going for the arrowheads in FM is less risky than this distress pistol, and I’m now pretty sure I could -hypothetically- go up there and not find a single piece of good clothing.

Start a 85% mag lens fire outside, success, put all my 9 sticks left in it and 1cedar, start melting some water or it’s dehydration next hour, pure and simple. Plus I have this chunk of rabbit left to cook. Discover there’s a nice position where you can have outside fire duration bonus AND inside hut temperature. BareSkin1 would have said it’s cheating, BareSkin 7 answers “Code is Law”.

screen_1da7f9ba-6bf0-4f74-b56b-3dcb58b435c0.thumb.png.b6d28ac585ca1d5a94357e80b9107e09.png

Only problem, it’s not windshielded. I’m on the threshold with Cabin Fever risk, its been between 40% and 55% for several days now. Go out for cattails and sticks, see a deer right side of the lake, set up my snare where I killed the rabbit the evening I was back to the Hut (was it yesterday? The day before? Who cares).

I now have a ton of cattail heads I’ll never use, I drop them in the hatch to help another survivor, along with 4 stones. The 19 cattails stalks will be for me, I can drop them here since I use them to adjust sleeping calories, and I have no bedroll.

Tempbar full, that’s the resource for cabin fever clearing so I use it on some multi-mission, the way I like to: go out on the right side towards the kind of marsh at the end of the lake, grabbing sticks (I leave birch), at the marsh add another mission grabbing cattails and rose hips, add another mission driving the deer towards the lake while heading to the cabin to get rid of the sticks and a prybar. Hyporisk makes me abandon the cabin mission and head back sprinting to the Hut. From my open door I check the deer and wolf position, deer is at my doorstep and wolf is opposite shore.

5 minutes later the wolf head towards lake center, I decide to get out on a very low tempbar to “help” the deer go the same way. It fails immensely, the deer is now behind the Hut cause it couldn't run through a rock. The fog makes this useless move expensive on tempbar. I achieve another useless move on the deer that ends up pushing it towards Landing Gear, I fail on a bunny and grab only 4 sticks.  That's a lot of fails.

My next tempbar is supposed to be sprinting to the fish hut for dropping stuff there and building fatigue, then the cooked rabbit from yesterday, and bed. But I double sprain literally 1m after passing the Hut door. I decide it’s enough frustration for today. I misclick the workbench and go to sleep dreaming of me at the fashion weak in deerskin pants instead of jeans. PETA girls strike the place with topless inscriptions, that's nice to see.

BaSk7-D20 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Back to 83% from 51% (3.2%/h w/o Herbal, no matter if sprained or not), blizzard morning, FL -5 inside the Hut (sounds like a constant?), pass time 1hr in bed warmth. FL-11 now, that’s obviously not a constant, have to spend a match so let’s say it’s water making time. Looking at the fire I think about a technique involving going to bed at midnight to wake up later in the day warmth. At noon the Hut becomes positive again.

Spend my temp bar driving the deer back to the Hut, and missing twice again the goddam rabbit, he’s tough! Rabbits carcass are freezing even with positive inside inside air temp, and in my backpack, can’t figure out why, I wanted the guts. Winds stop, head towards right side lake for deer driving again, it seems to work after few attemps, there’s some kind of “fatigue” involved in deer-code, at each iteration of it running, the less far away it goes. Me and the wolf make a fine team, but since he’s the boss he’s eating first, and near everything I guess, we’ll see later.

I sprint-fatigue to the hut to drop sticks there, and since the wolf is occupied, I grab the last opposite shore cattails, and also drop some markers between the “hut” and the “Hut” in case a fishing session ends in a blizzard (experience learned from Nomad, Camp Office).

But before that, one more attempt on the rebel bunny nearby. It took me a total, of 8 shots to knock him. I check its belly, it’s tattooed “Energizer”. It’s 1.5kg fat, nice catch. I’m at 67% condi, a 10h sleep is 32%, maths are OK so I’m glad to spend these 750 cattails-calories and go to sleep.

Tomorrow, maybe fishing session in the cold morning since I need water and bring fire and the hammer (protection) to harvest deer carcass?

screen_7ff2d717-62b3-46cd-878e-5a52f6ef96ed.thumb.png.c06d6057ae8a949708b1981b8330d82b.png

screen_90cdf7c6-3380-4a78-add0-2be2a50e4394.thumb.png.820dcee156b6bc639ff784d98fb975c0.png

On 9/24/2018 at 8:39 AM, BareSkin said:

Gods know why – maybe my real life frustration not to be able to harvest it- I click on the thing once the screenshot is made. And… ooohhhh MADAFAKA, I’ve harvested it? How can that be, with no hatchet? My brain use some sugar and makes me aware I’ve heard the sound of a saw, not a hatchet. Oh man, that MUST be it! Heavy-duty saw made to cut through metal”, yeah, made to, but I can also use it on saplings. My scientific brain takes note to try on limbs, I didn’t even try limbs since I’m never on positive FL when outside.

I think “well, those guys reading on the forums will have a fun time reading this newbie discovery”.

"Fun" nothing... hell, I was practically cheering for you!  Serendipitous discoveries are just great, aren't they?

On 9/24/2018 at 8:39 AM, BareSkin said:

Couple fails later, I, for once, don’t hesitate to snap these rebels.
It took me 12 Loper days to revise my moral judgment from the Mountaineer Hut. I couldn’t care less right now if it’s abuse or not. The Code allows? I do. I survive. Screw everything else, anyway there’s no candle in the churches anymore.
Discover there’s a nice position where you can have outside fire duration bonus AND inside hut temperature
. BareSkin1 would have said it’s cheating, BareSkin 7 answers “Code is Law”.

So you finally got to the mindset that "survival > moral sensibilities". Congratulations, young Padawan! B|

Now you've got what it takes to go the distance.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:03 AM, FunkyFuggerson said:

Interloper is a mathematical journey, a juggling act of hundreds of factors, A losing fight against nature, a scramble for supplies that aren't there, a pathetic cling to life that will soon slip out of your hands, all combined into a neat, tidy package that shoves a red hot catheter iron up your ass. 

So poetic a description.. somebody should really write that down somewhere..

10 hours ago, JAFO said:

"Fun" nothing... hell, I was practically cheering for you!  Serendipitous discoveries are just great, aren't they?

They are indeed. I totally not regret to "refuse" tips for my firsts Lopers.

BaSk7-D21 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

I wake up at 65%, what the --- ? Is it the cabin fever risk talking (62%), hypothermia during night? Anyway, I use my last calories for “Field dressing your kill”, then pass time 1h to warm up, since it’s foggy outside and I can’t start a mag lens fire.

Today's Plan: mag lens fire outside the hut once the clouds go away, bring fire in the stove, cooking pot for 2L water and fish till late afternoon and try to check the carcass. At 1pm I decide it will be a cloudy day, I go directly to the hut and prepare to spend a match-torch to light up the stove.

screen_bfe5a1cb-f7b7-405d-a503-45fe0aaac93c.thumb.png.9be09aa22e6160ee2bcfd9ebf45c81fc.png

The plan produces 2 fishes in 4h, but I can’t head out with raw fish, the wolf is patrolling really near. Sadly, I nearly abandon the idea of the deer, it’s been killed right in wolf zone, where the river joins the Lake, right in patrolling area. I decide to cook the fish here since the water is finished and I can’t go out. While waiting for the fish, the wolf goes “kind of away” and the snow turns into a blizzard rapidly. I grab a torch, the 2 uncooked fishes and sprint the the Hut with CFR@49%.

Tonight I’ll spend one more match in the fireplace to cook both fish and rabbits meats, total 4 pieces. The deer failure makes it more difficult to stay in TWM for long, but I’d really like to check the Wing containers for a better coat.

screen_dfed89e5-b974-4865-a2d0-59789b22441d.thumb.png.6789817044fb4c345243b3456f083a53.png

I’m afraid to go to sleep in a blizzard, I fear last time was a hypothermia problem. I don’t want to learn the hard way a mechanic that maybe makes no sense, so I fire up the wiki. Sleeping outdoors can cause the player to freeze” and “If all needs are not met or become unmet, condition loss will continue or begin. It is quite possible to die in one's sleep if not interrupted”. Hum, OK, is the Hut outdoor since there is no loading screen and the door doesn’t actually do anything? Previous observations showed that temperature dropped during a blizzard down to -10 and less. So I guess the Hut is actually, technically, a cave but with a fireplace and two fixed bedrolls giving +5°C and not wearing out.

Which means I have to burn fuel to survive every night? Makes sense in such a precarious shack. I should saw the wing containers and GTFO ASAP. But wait, my calories are quite good with fishing so maybe I can spend more time getting sticks?
I’ll let the fire die and see what happens. With fire: Air temp-2, FL7. Without fire: dropping quickly to -15°. Sounds safer to pass time during the night and sleep-heal in the morning. Without Blizzard, positive FL out of the bed, seems safe. Sleep for 10h but don’t get much back, I suspect Cabin Fever to have a role in it.

BaSk7-D22 ? (I messed it up a bit)

Sounds like MH is a scam, it's indoor for CF but outdoor for temperatures? Hum… Since I have no bedroll the snow shelter would be my only alternative.

Finish my calories reading. First temp bar spent on stick run behind the MH, on the hilltop above it. Go up the crest, sounds there’s nothing after that and it looks like a map edge.

screen_bee0e7d1-ec24-47f9-b595-cedce2db9628.thumb.png.a83d81f1511740bdafb50ce942f33646.png

Waiting for the winds to calm down it seems the wolf is on vacation today. Go on the place, there’s no carcass. I feel so sad. I fish until late afternoon and warm hours, outside it’s snowing, so I grab my only fish (3h fishing) and go back walking to to MH, since there’s no wolf. CF is at 75%, I decide to test the snow shelter since my death ETA is approaching and I have cloth. I build it in front of MH with curtain-cloth I brought from the Farmstead. I see this little bedroll icon inside the shleter, and even if I'm a tough big boy, I start to cry. I eat the cooked fish and go for 10hr sleep.

screen_2d3e7e84-155f-45fa-82d2-225e1feee412.thumb.png.ea1d0487a10e58cb88e60c84cf02846d.png

Surprinsingly, I wake up. But before the 10h are passed due to lack of fatigue-resource. I check the temp, FL-1, so it seems the snow shelter (can’t say SS, right?) is just just MH equivalent, but not counting towards cabin fever since I completely got rid of it. That’s a good option if you don’t have a bedroll. I read out my last calories. It’s been a busy day for Interloper Science.

BaSk7-D23 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Pass time until clear day around 10am, -8°C, it’s very warm I decide to head for the Wing. Have difficulties exiting my shelter, head to the Wing, see multiple down arrows on tempbar, check the temp, it’s -23°C! Run back to the shelter, check temp again, OK the shelter is a flat 15°C bonus. At first I find it strange that you can pass time in two different ways, but that makes sense after all if you think of the shelter as an outdoors movable MHut with a bed that grants only +3°. I laugh thinking that yeah, MH is really roughly 15 sticks and 5 cloth too, looking at the hole in the roof.

Temp bar full, I go check my snare and get a frozen rabbit! Back to MH I check the lake wolf is far, I decide harvesting the rabbit in the shelter is smarter. But it’s not, on the 10 meters way to the shelter, I sprain an ankle, make it to the shelter then once inside, get barked at by a wolf. Like, another wolf. How is it possible? That the other one supposed to be far away near the bear? Was it chasing a respawned deer? For science, the shelter really is outdoors! I go out immediately, forget to drop the rabbit – I earned it, I keep it – and make it to MH after a bit more of barking. For once I close to door!

screen_89f10dce-f692-462a-bfd8-0e024cb1e7b3.thumb.png.0e5cfc9fb952638b928c03d81a365f0a.png

It’s noon so I’d better rest for 4h and get a chance for the warm hours. I wake up with my ankle healed but it’s snowing; and I fear it means blizzard again. I head out with my full temp bar for a stick run behind the Hut, and I literally run into a wolf (the wolf, I guess), it barks, I U-turn as fast as I can to the hut, it’s too late for him. The wolf seems bugged, first the strange location and I hear it “crying” once I go inside.

Eat enough calories for a 10h sleep, wake up before midnight cause I slept-healed my ankle, I spend the night reading completely “Field dressing your kill, vol. 1” by B.T. Lowes, and it brings me to Carcassing 3.

2 hours ago, codfish107 said:

You sir are a constant source of quality reading during boring night shift hours.

Thanks for your feedback, I still have 17 pages to publish so don't worry for your next night shifts B|

BaSk7-D24  [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Man, does it stop snowing sometimes in TWM? I can’t decently get out of here without sawing any container! During the blizzard I stupidly sprinted from the fireplace, to the door in order to be able to sleep tonight, and can’t even remember the last time I was able to use my mag lens. No wolf and full temp bar, I go for stick round opposite shore, hyporisk on the way back as I shout at the skies all my anger. As soon as I stop shouting, beautiful sunshine allows me to cook fish and make water without a match. Conclusion, the shouting technique works well.

I head to the Wing, there’s a deer carcass halfway with 1.7kg, Maglens Fire, begin to saw the thing, during the process strong winds arrive and blows the fire out, I head back to the Hut with the meat, facing the wind but I make it OK thanks to a Reishi that was heated up at the carcass. I definitely abandon any hope of sawing a container and want to get out of this hell I soon as I have finish curing the two guts that are around 80%, I kept 2 reclaimed wood for them. I go out and dismantle the shelter to force myself out of this map (sorry @Drifter Man, but I need to survive, hope you'll understand), 10 matches left after tonight’s cooking.

Heal-sleep well, 63% condi.

BaSk7-D25 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Run to the hut to get the prybar and cedar back (the last Snowball is fine, but he lost sense of humor), run in the MH to build fatigue while waiting the last gut to be turned into a snare. Take advantage of killing time and excessive calories to begin “A sewing Primer” by L. LL Kingley during 3h. Use a rabbit legs to mark the page and run stupidly inside MH. I ruin a match not using it on a torch, and hate myself. Fire will be tomorrow morning, for warmup tea before leaving. Finish the book at night in the Outdoor MH, last gut cured, snare it, eat venison, sleep-heal 10h.

screen_3ba3e977-8198-49a2-b3ce-3bcf5d2d8aaf.thumb.png.2d0f52425e584768f31f629e0dc27589.png

BaSk7-D26 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up at 97% ! Finish preparing/cooking, at 11am the weather is clear, the winds are blowing towards Landing Gear, the Reishi is ready. Eat/drink everything, go out, grab my first snare on the way. Hyporisk when grabbing the rope down, lose 3% to freezing before entering the Cache.

screen_81d1e3ca-603f-4e6a-bdf7-9f37f449d1d6.thumb.png.6d5381bd68e3b632d334e2ba921e6fe1.png

Sleep-heal 3h at the cache then take advantage of nice weather and get out when temp bar is full towards Rural bed, Loot point of Disagrement to find golden matches, 24 of them! The winds are strong but lateral. Maglens fire outside the barn, bring it it inside to the barrel, heat up 1h and push to Rural before night. Prepare a lot of torches for the cave, find an invaluable Flare in the nearby truck. It will save my life later.

screen_6a9b9bf4-0139-4c5a-87d0-d41c72516e69.thumb.png.b00b7de52d1ad7a2c38b73c3a5cc6194.png

I want to get out of PV as fast as possible, as there are few things left to loot anyway and I’m low on matches. Towards Coastal Highway or Crumbling Highway, can’t remember. Recheck the barn for arrowheads while waiting water, then head outside at dusk to Rural with an half temp bar, facing the winds, misjudged where Rural is, I arrive one bridge away, and it’s very cold! FL-31. I arrive at the bedhouse in Rural @59% condi, it’s aurora night, its rare but I have no idea how to take advantage of it in case it’s even possible.

screen_6bfcc7f6-3940-4407-aeb9-78d05ec2810a.thumb.png.1810613e90b7fa22c5dfc3bf7e42ab86.pngscreen_13b62c14-ec49-4fdb-a6a7-4214851ab384.thumb.png.98adba3b05258f9b7cdf87d749fc0355.png

BaSk7-D27 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Healed to 90%. That’s the moment I don’t like, I’ve had multiple struggles with wolves behind Rural towards the mine in the past. Bingo, as soon as catch red tempbar, I got barked at. Since I stopped often to hear at wolf sounds, I ‘m not surprised and head back to the bed house, sprinting.

It’s hard to get out of PV, 50% because of comfort, 50% because of the wolves.

I can’t get to the exit from some other point, this way is the only one I’m sure of, I’ll have to outmaneuver this wolf later, but can’t wait too much because I have to find a bed after the cave. I'm getting nervous while building my new tempbar. Make it the the coal mine, there’s actually a broken tree that points you towards the entrance. The game likes me, the wolf disappeared thanks to a teddy bear.

screen_eca5dafc-99cc-4d1f-883f-6e40e5fc4b76.thumb.png.3531518183714681306a626bdaa87455.png

Chocolate bar, Dog food, metal, toolbox and Survive the Outdoors at the workench place, matches in a box before that, wood torch near a corpse after that. In a dead end, I find a Lantern near a corpse. Maybe he died here for not having a bedroll, just like me?

screen_3c1c6b0e-00ec-4158-a205-968f730585ab.thumb.png.c09fe6200facceee55eb1de7d3bd7fba.png

Second room, nothing. Exit room, a Stim and cotton toque. Of course no bedroll, but a ton of coal. Before exiting, I remember Nomad, I found a trailer on the right after exiting, can’t remember if it has a bed. I remember there was no bed in the stone church though, if that’s on the same map to the left.

I exit to Coastal Highway, alte afternoon light fog, overloaded with coal. Head into the fog thinking I’ll die if I didn’t remember correctly, but I have to trust myself and don’t have the option to go back anyway. Find the trailer thanks to my prayers, and thank god there is a bed. I’ll live another night. Maybe.

screen_5977ae7b-7688-4c66-a41c-fff2a4917e78.thumb.png.92c9eefadfdb68e13b98d01059b42094.png

Loot the place while I have daylight: nothing except a metal scrap and… an OLD bedroll, looking at me with the devil’s eyes. Drop 4 cedars and 30 coals (keep 3) in container and harvest torches to be able to take the sticks on my way down, notice my mag lens is still at 48%. Does this thing never wears out with uses like other tools? That would make sense, and not overpowered since it’s use is only situational.

screen_6eaa93f1-23d8-4293-b65e-d625c59e18bc.thumb.png.9f98f09d57c24c3b3aa0ea0ca8daa622.png

Repair the cotton toque, equip it then remember this stupid thing that the outer hat is actually towards the avatar, unlike all others clothes. Thank you, Nomad Balaclava. At least the graphics on the avatar are right, so I guess a curious player could guess. Repair the lamp with recently found metal and toolbox, plus fuel it with fishoil from Crystal Lake. Oh, dog food was actually porks and beans, it makes me happy only because it is a human food, I’m not an animal. Not yet. Not exhausted enough to waste food on a short sleep, so I go to bed to pass time, and start sleeping around midnight.

screen_f083836a-8c33-4087-9626-eb3b6f083cf0.thumb.png.a4dc711ae80fc7f4d4786335d2bd4a44.png

Archived