BareSkins are dying

BareSkin

13 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I'm afraid I took all my supplies with me when I jumped. I left two cooking pots in the Dam, in the lockers on the left just after you enter. Feel free to take them, I have no use for them anymore.

Seen the rope point, but I had no rope to pay my respects, sorry about that :(

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I barely respect myself when snapping rabbits or waiting to eat after a wolf. But surviving comes first!

BaSk7-D57 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Spend peaches and sardines on a 5h reading of the cooking book. I have a little bit of déjà vu impression. Or more precisely déjà lu (already read) – glad my keyboard have these accents. 69% CF, I wait for my tempbar to slowly go out (FL-13), outside, shielded near the door. Spot a bunny, strike it and harvest it inside while warming up.

screen_586e3c37-0f39-49fe-b91f-ad50b4388878.thumb.png.b19d1f1405c6852d60b1a11fccbfb0f1.png

Warm hours stick run produces 30 sticks, plus information that there’s another deer carcass after the hilltop towards the pond. Maybe with less winds and going straight for it I could harvest it tomorrow. Cabin Fever sill strike me tomorrow, but I have only 3 cloths. I spend my tempbar passing time outside, shielded. While doing it, I see the cave entrance. Maybe I could sleep there in the bedroll, is it outside? I wonder, I pick the ~800 rabbit meat calories and give it a try.

I explore the cave a bit while I can see, planning for sleeping near the entrance. Temperatures vary inside the cave, -1°C near the exits, 3°C deep inside. While exploring my CF goes from 68 to 70, so the cave is definitely an inside.

Head back to Trapper’s, see some birch saplings, spend my last temp bar on it and running. Seems hacksaw doesn’t lose condition from sawing wood (-0% on 3 saplings).

screen_9101e7c4-27d1-421c-bc97-3234f11b5316.thumb.png.ac595180aeef04f7b382eede5e0c0538.png

BaSk7-D58 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up at 98%, CF 66%, go figure… I don’t remember spending a night outside last week, that’s sorta suicidal in a post-50 loper night without a fire. Pick up my journal, oh yeah, 6 days ago I was fighting for my life in the Ravine outdoors. Still, I’ll need a shelter at some point, then maybe after I’m done at the forge I’ll be able to spend enough time on wood and fish through the night while sleeping outside in warm hours? I’m far from it yet.

screen_7014ddc2-b8c4-4383-88f5-5add71c89755.thumb.png.77568af8de042a6c5dd30d04ea135b1a.png

"Spend time outdoors", it's only -77°C

screen_1e4b77c7-a98e-45e0-aff1-15f6a5134b39_hi.thumb.png.31850ddea3a3fd8ae3a3750abeea120b.png

The morning blizzard (-47°C air temp, -78°C total) ends around 2PM after several back and forth outside fighting cabin fever with my mighty Temperature Bar. It’s a sword that erodes quickly. At the carcass, everything goes fine except I can’t use maglens. The job is finished 45’ before the fire does, but I don’t take torches and wait near it making water in order to fight cabin fever in the warm hours. Come back with 1.9kg cooked meat, 2 guts and one more deer hide (for later repairs).

screen_94bbba27-bd91-4227-80d0-87724aed7c1f.thumb.png.f34565201afe38be61cea3f839bd2c6a.png

Traveling is so dangerous, I decide Camp Office might be my “home” until I die if I ever make it back from the Muskeg.

Plan for next move: go to Camp office, prepare the trip to the Muskeg: take coals and find metals (I have 5) and cloth + toolbox+prybar +hacksaw (there’s a locker there, right?), cattail stalks. I want to enter the Muskeg while not needing to rely on it. I have nothing except the hammer to protect from wolves, I will keep high ground with mountain on left hand until I reach the forge, hopefully find some fir nearby to repair the hammer if needed then light to fire of my life.

BaSk7-D59 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

At the tunnel entry, I dance with a wolf, and of course get double-sprained while doing so, I heal the ankle only, I need to keep rose hips since I didn’t find any painkiller pills. The dance in the cold morning cost me around 30%, but being wolfed is 100%.

screen_3a706b17-1f0e-4b85-96a5-cd98fe67c7f7.thumb.png.84c3deb6a81ea71f6a86a67312d460c0.png

Go sleep 4h for sprain clearing, and weather permitting trip to opposite shore of the lake, for cattails and maybe metal scraps? I think about this prybar I left at the blind on my way in, running for my life, that would be 2 more scraps. 8 more cattails and 8 more sticks before sleep.

BaSk7-D60 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Cut a lamp (1scrap) for 5% hacksaw. Next cabin, cut a locker (6scraps) for 5% hacksaw..OK… so now I want to go to the Dam, all these lockers…. All scraps are worth it anyway, since repairing the saw is 1scrap/25%, just need a toolbox, and I have one. 11 scraps +few cloths harvested, that’s a fine loot, there’s till a lamp and 5 more scraps at the Camp.

Can't go out due to lake wolf, spend tempbar exploring the place (CF fighting), there’s a empty cave and a rope I have no idea where it goes.

screen_834f2c52-b068-4adb-9672-df5e0b34c514.thumb.png.29434fda9322fabf82c960dad132df8e.png

Would like to head back in warm hours, but I’m too scary to walk on the lake in a heavy fog. I sprint outside before sleeping, this idea that there’s no wolf in heavy fog is BS, I get barked at during my evening footing.

BaSk7-D61 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Need guts! Left at Trapper’s?

Plan: Craft the pants at Trapper’s, bring all coal and metal and hides and stalks, then Muskeg.

Pack all, transfer to Trapper’s in the evening. Arrive at night with 35% health and 38% CF.

screen_9ec0e492-7dd9-4a43-b33b-7a3eb3448ae9.thumb.png.8cb59be714cc134d7060f40e0100eb26.png

BaSk7-D62 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Make maglens water on morning, make and place 2 snares, then wait the whole day for a blizzard (-79°C) to pass and for last guts to cure. Evening run towards Max gives 10 sticks and 0 coal. Eat steak from last deer carcass and sleep-heal 10h from 38 to 78 (4%/h, is there a bonus in late Loper?!)

screen_372faa06-5009-4e6b-8b7a-cdefb2dfee49.thumb.png.c4dfadb5d18c5583db5943012f44c171.png

New encounter in TLD

BaSk7-D63 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up with 78% CF, and I have deer pants to craft. Snow goes away for light fog that becomes heavy one hour later, I don’t want to spend a match just for water, I prefer dehydration and wait for an evening chance. I eventually spend this match just before dark, one night on dehydration would be too costly. I also cooked the 2 rabbits my 2 snares have caught this morning. 10h sleep @44 health, 42 CF.

BaSk7-D64 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Wake up @ 84health (4%/h), 50CF. Mag Lens water +1h craft intervals warmup, then spend temp bar outside, running. Funky day...

BaSk7-D65 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Back to 100% health! -80°C outside. New pants!

screen_9f65c914-39fa-4094-ac6e-16f6fcc04a70.thumb.png.74055d607aa0a6497a23bec4e03b615e.png

BaSk7-D66 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Morning snare rabbit. Loot the place for sticks and coal, noon maglens for recent raw meat. Leave mid-afternoon after 3h sleep with 100% health, no fatigue, full stomach, 30 coals and 12 scraps. To the Forge. But outside, it’s blizzard time before I reach the cave to Milton. The trip is not for today. That’s an aurora night. Nice traveling with a flashlight I guess, but I left it at Camp Office, its 2kg seem so ridiculous. I spend the night sleep 1h chunks and spending the tempbar out fighting cabin fever.

screen_b145019c-58cd-468a-927f-c50ffc39d82b_hi.thumb.png.0c050f4fa38c5f1cfc8855a071f32102.png

screen_07b67af1-29c1-4dab-a81c-094dd0644463_hi.thumb.png.9deca0d9b3b7ba5577121c6cb1035e17.png

BaSk7-D67[Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Morning snare rabbit, regular -40°C air temperature (no wind, light fog), CF down to 25%, health 94%. Early afternoon, sunny an  winds push towards the tunnel. Eat everything I can (1700 calories) and go bet my life in a trip to the forge.

When arriving in FM, the winds turn and face me. When I got eye-contact with the Spence’s, I’m at 78% hyporisk, there’s a cave on the left. Tough call, If I stay in the cave the weather might turn worse. I decide I need the warmup pause, but the 95% chance maglens fire fails. “Are you serious?”. Yeah man, totally with you. Screw it, that’s the game talking to us, let’s get to this forge before this wolf comes too close.

screen_c3a828a7-8c76-4e33-bbcf-31814cd47810_hi.thumb.png.8cad128ebc9c88258cb0c91e8be4e87c.png

Arive at the Forge with 99.999+% hyporisk, and I’m stupid enough to still want to keep one more match (I have plenty), start a 95% maglens fire instead of match-torch-furnace. It fails AGAIN, can you believe it? 2 fails in a row on a 95% chance? Come on... I already had only 15% health left after the wind-facing travel.

Mistakes are not forgiven in TLD: Hypothermia.

screen_23ae007c-b5c6-4932-ae37-ee48dbcd84a4.thumb.png.b8e5ce9ed4783b94022299afd3c922ba.png

I immediately connect a new brain and make a torch-fire in the furnace, drop all sticks I have, but can’t feed it with coal yet. My health is dropping super-fast, I’m at 9% and the fire is not warming me up, I understand I’m dying too fast to wait for the coal timer countdown.

screen_929c9315-031c-4b05-8c0a-76d3d80dcd99.thumb.png.b897585102efe04ef72693c22dd151cb.png

I’m doomed.

Again.

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

Throw in the sticks... 1 degree C per stick until you're no longer freezing. Saving 'em for the future's no good if saving 'em means no future for you.

Since I contracted hypothermia on-site, I couldn't grab some more sticks on the way, I was not supposed to get hypothermia, and even less with health dropping so low due to the face winds. My main fear was to have to spend a night there with no fire.

I dropped every stick I had believe me, my backpack is full of coal however. But that means surviving 20minutes with hypothermia. The maths are brutal.

43 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

I was not supposed to get hypothermia

Quote of the month!

(Interloper teaches you bad habits)

Unlucky, man. I just picked up on your story thread, and spent the last 2 nights reading it into the small hours. Still hoping you saved this one, somehow. No stim? No torches to break down? No crates to smash with the hammer? No desperate dash into the snow to grab sticks? Spamming "Add fuel" on the coal icon as the 20 minute fire countdown and the Condition reading tick towards zero (it must have been close)?

13 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Since I contracted hypothermia on-site, I couldn't grab some more sticks on the way, I was not supposed to get hypothermia, and even less with health dropping so low due to the face winds. My main fear was to have to spend a night there with no fire.

I dropped every stick I had believe me, my backpack is full of coal however. But that means surviving 20minutes with hypothermia. The maths are brutal.

Ah, I thought you meant you dropped them when you arrived and were saving them for some reason. If you didn't have 'em, yeah... doomed.

7 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

@BareSkin asked for no tips, so no tips :) [muffled sounds of someone wanting to scream]

Nice run, 67 days on 7th attempt, with limited knowledge of the maps... good work!

I dunno that pointing out that burning shit and living is better than not burning shit and dying is exactly a tip.... ;)

18 hours ago, Pillock said:
19 hours ago, BareSkin said:

I was not supposed to get hypothermia

Quote of the month!

Well, what I was trying to say is: I had everything needed not to get into definitive hypothermia, I had matches and my 5 sticks and coal to start the fire mid-travel, which I did in a cave (near wolf patrolling) but it failed and I chose to interpret it as a sign instead of persisting. Which was not a wrong decision, since if I were less stupid and use a match right-away I could have cleared hyporisk at the forge before getting real hypo.

18 hours ago, Pillock said:

No stim? No torches to break down? No crates to smash with the hammer? No desperate dash into the snow to grab sticks? Spamming "Add fuel" on the coal icon as the 20 minute fire countdown and the Condition reading tick towards zero (it must have been close)?

I had the stim, but completely forgot to use it in the panic.

I had a torch, but +1°C wouldn't have changed anything since I was at FL-15 and the fire was +5°C, that means I would have needed 10 torches, which needs 20minutes to harvest, same problem.

Smashing crates takes time, I would have been dead but with reclaimed wood in my pockets.

Desperate dash is difficult, I had to outrun a wolf coming into the forge building and it was just outside waiting to eat me.

Spamming "add fuel" is the option I chose, but a quick extrapolation against the loss of life rate (from 15% to 9% health) quickly showed me that I would be dead before the countdown was over.

13 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

@BareSkin asked for no tips, so no tips :) [muffled sounds of someone wanting to scream]

No big deal here, I took the habit to report BareSkin7 adventures with at least 1 week delay. It means when I post, the survivor is either already dead or far away.

I feel so stupid I didn't use a match, and much stupid I didn't use the stim, now that @stratvox rightfully pointed its finger to this solution.

But well, if Loper allowed you to live after these 2 incredible newbie mistakes, that wouldn't be the game I love.

Geez.. I go away for just two lousy weeks, and when I get back I find you died just hours earlier... sheesh.

;)

Seriously though, I am extremely impressed! 67 days! I hope you patted yourself on the back so hard you dislocated your shoulder.

Besides.. the most painful lessons are the ones we learn best. I think it'll be a long time before you forget to be careful with matches, likewise for remembering stims in an emergency. (if you ever find yourself asking "does this count as an emergency?", the answer is usually "HELL YES!")

Kudos on an amazing run, mate. Can't wait to see the next one.

On 2018-10-09 at 3:39 PM, BareSkin said:

I’m doomed.

Again.

[...]

I have to pause the game in order to catch my breath. While stretching my real life body, looking at the Pause screen with this awful crow eating my skull, I try to get a smart idea.

I think about a stick run, won't find 15 sticks before dying, same with crates. The emergency solution is not on fuel. I don't think about the stim, which would have been the perfect answer, since anyway my Fatigue was lost for good with the Hypo. Maybe my brain did think about it but was still trying to keep Fatigue for crafting? I can't remember.

Doomed... dommed...  doomed... I hear [muffled sounds of someone wanting to scream] but decide it's the hypothermia taking control of my brain.

Preventive Autopsy: Why did the crow eat my brain? I died cause I couldn't get rid of this red tempbar for the 20minutes that separated me from coal use.

Wait, maybe not! My eyes shine, I have a brilliant idea: I put a rose hip tea on the stove, it warms in 3 minutes (=-3%health). While looking at it warming up, I think maybe the instant-flat-boost on tempbar might stop the red freezing bar, and thus my inevitable death. I have the utmost difficulty to keep cursor on it, as my Mackie is wobbling everywhere around it. I finally manage to drink it at 4% life.

screen_b4c0f881-3e40-4263-a388-4ec0a709862f.thumb.png.3125e15c3790f7b480de0aa6ec8839b9.png

screen_731c4705-8400-4029-9154-6319d5bdd83c.thumb.png.8157546d95371dd2d6df912705db07d9.png

It works. Well, actually Mackie is furious it didn’t heal his unsprained wrists and ankles, but I am releived. New pause to catch my breath, a good Caribbean rum eases my nerves.

Drop the coal in the fire asap, in a revenge move I smash the coal in the furnace up to 12h. Take it, #*€£.

Very soon, my starvation will make me lose one more percent life, and sooner, the fatigue bar will go red and kill me. I go up, eat 7 cattails, and go to sleep for 10h. I have a hard time trying to click the bed.

screen_81f4c99c-121d-4701-ae6b-6922ca2909df.thumb.png.7424d33c8952033fdfb2c25ebb0e5849.png

31 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Very soon, my starvation will make me lose one more percent life, and sooner, the fatigue bar will go red and kill me. I go up, eat 7 cattails, and go to sleep for 10h. I have a hard time trying to click the bed.

Yes!!! And please, don't run out of shit to burn :D

You sneaky bugger.. you had us going for a while there..

Well done on coming up with a very creative, albeit unorthodox, solution!

37 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

a good Caribbean rum

B|

I knew there was a reason I liked you..

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

albeit unorthodox, solution!

Looking at the screenshots I more and more think the warmup effet was specifically designed for this kind of situation.

3 hours ago, Pillock said:

Good save, sir! Diving-full-stretch-fingertips-round-the-post-in-stoppage-time-type stuff

(Jump to your feet and scream at your back four like Peter Schmeichel)

Very sorry, my english or general culture was really not enough to catch this one :$

5 hours ago, admin said:

Please watch the language in this thread. 

I swear I will never talk badly to the Forlorn Muskeg Furnace ever again, I understand it has a father and a mother and it deserves more respect.

BaSk7-D68 [Vanilla Loper][Cold Fusion]

Goooood morniiiiiiing Muskeeeeeg, Back from the dead!

screen_d7ea80e6-06df-4f29-900c-53ef70e6e8f2.thumb.png.d953ddb9ce4a36844a5aabffe7a23490.png

screen_354abe0f-c308-4c84-9a4d-eed49b926175.thumb.png.16849b1180d7dcc521ecd5fb6e9f2f08.png

Craft the knife, find a simple parka (on toolbox, A REAL COAT!) and a 44% thin wool sweater (in safe). Hacksaw some stuff to get 6 more scraps, and find 2 around the place, plus some coals,  and back to bed to clear last 7h hypo and get some life back under a freshly brewed herbal tea influence.

screen_ecc3778d-1f43-44de-ac14-04cb731315df.thumb.png.221394d1176a26b02e1ee7c5c6758366.png

When the screen goes dark my heart misses a beat – did I put enough fuel in the forge to keep me from freezing?

Archived