A Few Dead Men

Drifter Man

Guest jeffpeng

Sadly I simply lack the experience to know all those stims by heart. Just got surprised finding a stim in the ravine in BR.

But maybe it's good Walker is making the full tour. Because next stop is Deadman ^^

Edited by jeffpeng

On 06/12/2018 at 8:17 PM, jeffpeng said:

Sadly I simply lack the experience to know all those stims by heart. Just got surprised finding a stim in the ravine in BR.

But maybe it's good Walker is making the full tour. Because next stop is Deadman ^^

Same here. I think I know where to find 7 out of the 9 stims, but the BR ones (I think there are two stims, but am not sure) are unknown to me, along with the entire region.

Good luck with the Deadman run! I may not be around to read it as I hardly have time these days to progress my own Deadman, but I look forward to getting back to your story later :)

Edited by Drifter Man

Deadman 10 / Day 111

All-day blizzard. It stops just before sunset, so I give it a go. I attract the wolf that guards Crashed Plane but miss two out of three shots. The one that hits just brushes off. I lose two arrows in the dusk, spend huge amounts of fuel in an emergency fire, and the wolf kills most of the rabbits in the area in the meantime. I'm forced to return to my starting point before night sets in.

Deadman 10 / Day 112

Strong winds all day. I don't move away from the cave as I wouldn't get anywhere at all. I eat all my bear meat and start digging into chocolate bars and cattail stalks. I also run out of water, so I make a fire to boil some. Sun hasn't shown up for two days.

Deadman 10 / Day 113

Still no sun and winds continue with unabated strength. A break in the winds in late afternoon makes me decide to run for it again - it's the only chance I may have. After the vine climb the winds are back in full force and I'm making emergency fire again.

But this time the fire survives, I warm up and it's not too late yet. I collect some sticks and cattails, recover my two lost arrows and lure the wolf in. I don't miss this time and because the winds have eased off, I even get two 1 kg steaks from the wolf carcass. I leave them on the fire with enough fuel left so that they finish cooking before the fire dies, and leave towards the plane.

screen_677855a2-4f40-447c-aaa6-85bd9cdd8592.thumb.png.13b0a8505837842b7598be6f6f062db9.png

I find the stim, two pieces of scrap metal, one piece of cloth and a scarf that can be turned into another, plus a some urgently needed firewood. Then I proceed to the vine climbs: if the weather holds, I can loot Will's starting point and still return before nightfall. But winds hit back again and I have to run to Will's cave to save myself.

Stimmed back to 29% condition, I sleep next to a campfire until next morning.

Deadman 10 / Day 114

With enough warmth and daylight, I search the place and find a soda (still usable - on Day 114, in an outdoor container!), a nearly full jerry can and nearly expired painkillers. I harvest the carcass at the crash site for 1.7 kg venison and repair my clothes while cooking it.

screen_6d17221c-fd97-4fe3-9021-4ea7581aa3be.thumb.png.23e102b7e47454790c537c53503d5522.png

Unsafe camping practices

I finally make it back in the afternoon. I'm even able to harvest the remaining meat from the wolf carcass plus the other deer carcass nearby. Two finished wolf steaks await me at my abandoned campfire. The sun shows up briefly before nightfall, too late for fire.

• Upvote 2

Guest jeffpeng
11 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

but the BR ones (I think there are two stims, but am not sure) are unknown to me,

There are two. One in the hunting lodge under a cabinet on the upper level, and one in the ravine under the broken bridge. The ravine is a legit death trap without reliable wind shelter and a steep climb. On deadman probably best is to get down there when you are sub 85%, and use the stim to get back up asap. If the weather is nice you can collect some cattails and it has (a chance for ?) a firestriker at the end, but if winds turn on you at that point .... you really are in for a whole world of hurt.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

There are two. One in the hunting lodge under a cabinet on the upper level, and one in the ravine under the broken bridge. The ravine is a legit death trap without reliable wind shelter and a steep climb. On deadman probably best is to get down there when you are sub 85%, and use the stim to get back up asap. If the weather is nice you can collect some cattails and it has (a chance for ?) a firestriker at the end, but if winds turn on you at that point .... you really are in for a whole world of hurt.

Well that could be very useful info. I'm already thinking of going to BR to get these two stims. That part about being sub 85% shouldn't be a problem :)

All stims I know of (including your info):

1. Cinder Hills Mine (at least two possible locations within the mine)
  2. PV Outbuildings - the Barn
  3. TWM Summit - Tail Section
  4. Ravine Basin - Train Engine (However, I think I once found it in the boxcar above the Ravine)
  5. FM - Marsh Ridge
  6. MT - Crashed Plane
  7. DP - Lighthouse (or another alternative location?)
  8. BR - Hunting Lodge
  9. BR - ravine under the broken bridge

Deadman sub-challenge: collect all stims!

Deadman 10 / Day 115

Blizzard. All day. I harvest 1.2 kg meat from the ravaged wolf carcass in the cave, to make sure I don't run out of food too soon.

Deadman 10 / Day 116

I wait until the afternoon for better weather. Winds blow hard for the sixth day in a row, but when they give me a brief break, I make a run for it. As I approach the road, I hear the unmistakable "bear sounds": Mere 9 days after I killed it, the bear has returned.

screen_a6aa2309-5862-401c-a00e-2782cfeab34c.thumb.png.be30cda054770d7078003ffbd6da2920.png

There's nowhere to hide and the bear has to die if I want to pass through, so it gets a rocket flare stuck to its side.

By that moment the winds have returned... again. I've already spent half of my temp bar and am forced back to the cave. I use sunlight to start a campfire, prepare hot tea and warm up. The winds stop but I'm not ready yet, instead I sleep for an hour. When I wake up, the winds are back.

I feel like a prisoner here. The winds are so punishing, it's felt -20°C all the time, I can't go anywhere in this weather.

screen_46d6e3dc-d30f-4114-8537-a348d3f18dcc.thumb.png.44c0e7c5128c596ff14c00e39a5c7d93.png

Then, at dusk, the winds finally slow down to "moderate". With hot tea in me and torch in hand, I get felt -5°C out of the wind and -8°C when exposed. Good enough.

The bear lies dead by the roadside, but of course I don't stop to harvest it. It will rot in place. Instead I search one last car (find a piece of cloth, nice) and collect sticks. I still have enough of my temp bar to deal with the last wolf at the cave to HRV.

screen_ce3d255b-7ba8-413d-9a97-ef4c96dcd0d1.thumb.png.a93e1416a9693c13fd1da85c1bdce3ee.png

The wolf approaches me for sure, I see it from afar and find a good position. It ignores the bait and charges when I draw my bow. I miss my shot.

screen_b449207e-a437-480c-a523-4e53f82ea897.thumb.png.e896af8c6cfa8525bff016881a55df58.png

This is where it ends. Having survived for 115 days, 'Number 10' returns to the Styx.

Edited by Drifter Man
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 9

31 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

That's soooooo sad! :( Number 10 will be remembered through the ages. What a run.

I think positively about it - I learned a great deal about the late game in this run. Especially about wolves. I'll do better next time.

Every run has its wolf.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Well that could be very useful info. I'm already thinking of going to BR to get these two stims. That part about being sub 85% shouldn't be a problem :)

All stims I know of (including your info):

1. BR - Hunting Lodge
  2. BR - ravine under the broken bridge

Deadman sub-challenge: collect all stims!

You get a stim in the Maintenance yard by BR as well, you just need to break down an specific crate and climb up. It's always there, in loper you get only the stim BTW.

20181209102854_1.thumb.jpg.706208bfa1ebb5e0f3a82ccc54d5073b.jpg

20181209102903_1.thumb.jpg.c3f068e7a1e8a9666df9f5243b4a057a.jpg

20181209102912_1.thumb.jpg.be9011b981d4ef8b30931f5b75b1e99d.jpg

Sad to see your deadman go, but it's nice to have closure. I don't know how you do it, I am massively burned out from the game after playing my deadman survivor, the stress level just makes the game unpleasant to me, but I digress. Congrats on your record run, thanks for sharing! :coffee:

• Upvote 3

Guest jeffpeng
5 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

It's always there, in loper you get only the stim BTW.

I broke that crate and didn't get it - but some pork'n'beans (edit and a sewing kit ^^). Maybe the location is alternating between loot tables?

screen_2fa0aa1b-1358-4298-94d6-83915436877d.thumb.png.29dd82a699a3d5df4a29279d8db3f99a.png

Edited by jeffpeng

3 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I broke that crate and didn't get it - but some pork'n'beans. Maybe the location is alternating between loot tables?

I'm not sure, but I always got it when I went for it in loper. I rarely use my stims so I honestly never kept track of it. Where specifically does it spawn in the hunting lodge? I'm rusty, I don't recall finding it at the lodge although I can't guarantee it hasn't happened. :D

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, Dan_ said:

I'm not sure, but I always got it when I went for it in loper. I rarely use my stims so I honestly never kept track of it. Where specifically does it spawn in the hunting lodge? I'm rusty, I don't recall finding it at the lodge although I can't guarantee it hasn't happened. :D

One of the cabinets has its bottom drawer missing - there.

30 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

One of the cabinets has its bottom drawer missing - there.

You're right I remeber now that you pointed it out to me. :D It might change based on loot table, I will test and report back shortly, Thanks!

I have news! @jeffpeng:

You can find both, I just did it on the same save. Crate had a stim and a whetstone, and the stim by the missing drawer on the cabinet upstairs was there as well. There's three in BR.

Edited by Dan_

It was, now that you mention it, I recall not finding it down there before and also saves on which either the lodge stim was missing or the crate stim wasn't there ( just a whetstone ). The loot tables might have something to do with it as you've postulated. 

On 12/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, Drifter Man said:

I think positively about it - I learned a great deal about the late game in this run. Especially about wolves. I'll do better next time.

Every run has its wolf.

Entertaining run Drifter Man. enjoyed it thoroughly. Every run does seem to have its wolf. You generally meet it right at the end :P But there does seem to be one or two very very aggressive and deadly wolves getting about at any one time. They're usually the ones that spot you from super far away and decide you're lunch no matter what.

Looking forward to the next adventure when you get the time.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2018 at 11:31 PM, Dan_ said:

Sad to see your deadman go, but it's nice to have closure. I don't know how you do it, I am massively burned out from the game after playing my deadman survivor, the stress level just makes the game unpleasant to me, but I digress. Congrats on your record run, thanks for sharing! :coffee:

The game was stressful initially, but after I retired it became no more stressful than any normal Interloper. You still have to be careful and watch the weather and your temp bar, but it does get easier. Anyway, thanks for following the story, also for the info on BR stims!

22 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Arrrgh... well... excellent run (&read) anyway. Thanks a lot. Rep earned.

Thanks @Hotzn. I miss the Stalker and Interloper runs from the old days - I think they eventually inspired me to become an extreme interlopist. Maybe it's time for old Hotzn to launch a new one after the December update? :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveMcD said:

Entertaining run Drifter Man. enjoyed it thoroughly. Every run does seem to have its wolf. You generally meet it right at the end :P But there does seem to be one or two very very aggressive and deadly wolves getting about at any one time. They're usually the ones that spot you from super far away and decide you're lunch no matter what.

Looking forward to the next adventure when you get the time.

Thanks for following the story! I also feel that the terminal encounter with the wolf is inevitable. No matter how good you are, at some point something will work against you. The wolf growled after I dropped the bait, which was probably an indication it was still following me, I should have paid attention to it. I've never been in this situation before and won't repeat the mistake next time, but I'm sure something else will happen anyway.

I'm thinking of launching another deadman after the holidays, until then I've just got too much on my plate. I should also watch some games of cricket to get some tips on rabbit hunting.

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

which was probably an indication it was still following me,

It is. If they take the bait they shut up immediately.

4 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I'm thinking of launching another deadman after the holidays, until then I've just got too much on my plate. I should also watch some games of cricket to get some tips on rabbit hunting.

I might have to think about making my very first youtube video. In it I will expound upon the cricket throw and invariably get a sprain.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Although I'm not in the mood to start another deadman, I launched a few short runs out of curiosity about the latest update. Observations:

• some nice visual improvements were made to frozen water surfaces and to fires (both campfire and torch)
  • wolves now howl so frequently that it becomes annoying
  • game sometimes crashes when saving (either complete crash or the screen turns dark) - this wasn't happening before the update
  • I like the stats of the rabbitskin hat, it's a great addition and does not make the wool toque redundant
  • I don't like the well fed buff, it adds too much carrying capacity for too little effort and, to a large degree, removes the need to decide what to take in the backpack and what not to. 30 kg capacity was, in my opinion, the optimum to make this decision-making interesting. I'd prefer having a 2-5 kg penalty for starving to an easily achieved 5 kg bonus for not starving.
  • Upvote 1