What happens when you shoot a deer with a flare gun

Vince 49

I was getting very hungry and the saplings and guts necessary for a bow and arrow wouldn't be cured for several more days.  My choices were hitting rabbits with stones or seeing if I could get a deer with a flare gun.  I did, but as was pointed out in the Can't hit bear with pistol post, it's very hard to hit a creature with the flare gun.  I kept trying (I was very hungry) and finally got on--see the video.  The video only shows the first 30 seconds or so (6 minutes+ in game time).  The flare continues to burn the dear for a total of 60 seconds (12 minutes GT).  The deer continues to run around after that for another 50 seconds (10 minutes GT), then drops dead.  Once I have a bow and arrow, I'll be able to hunt deer in a less painful (for them) way.

Hit_Deer_w_Flare2.mp4

Although the deer lives on as the string of my bow and the warmth of my deer skin boots, the deer depicted in the video suffered greatly.  In real life, I would never do that unless my life literally depended on it.  I've considered removing the video and would like to know what others think about that.

Well it's a video game, so nothing actually suffered.  That said, in a game where the player is forced to look into the eyes of that cute fluffy bunny right before they snap its neck and tear it apart with their bare hands, I think a deer running around desperately fighting for life as it simultaneously bleeds out and burns alive fits with the brutal reality of "How far will you go to survive?"

On 9/5/2018 at 6:59 PM, Vince 49 said:

I was getting very hungry and the saplings and guts necessary for a bow and arrow wouldn't be cured for several more days.  My choices were hitting rabbits with stones or seeing if I could get a deer with a flare gun.  I did, but as was pointed out in the Can't hit bear with pistol post, it's very hard to hit a creature with the flare gun.  I kept trying (I was very hungry) and finally got on--see the video.  The video only shows the first 30 seconds or so (6 minutes+ in game time).  The flare continues to burn the dear for a total of 60 seconds (12 minutes GT).  The deer continues to run around after that for another 50 seconds (10 minutes GT), then drops dead.  Once I have a bow and arrow, I'll be able to hunt deer in a less painful (for them) way.

Hit_Deer_w_Flare2.mp4

Nice clip!

First off, outstanding shot.  your grip and aim were true considering how hungry you were during your hunt.  Yes, in real life you would never make such a shot unless of course you were truly desperate and your immediate survival depended on it.  Be it real or simulated the consequences are similar, your prey was wounded and ran a considerable distance before succumbing to the burning hellfire that was eating it's way towards the heart.  Best to be predator, sucks to be prey...

On 9/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, Vince 49 said:

as was pointed out in the Can't hit bear with pistol post, it's very hard to hit a creature with the flare gun

Just as in real life, flare flight is a bit erratic.. which is pretty logical, they're not designed with aerodynamic characteristics in mind, nor for hitting things with. As such, they don't always go in exactly the direction they're aimed.

In other words, the closer you are to the target, the better your chances of actually hitting it...

Archived