Let's try Outerloper

fauxjargon

Congrats! That's just impressive to me.

1 hour ago, fauxjargon said:

to save wear on my hatchet for when I chop saplings

Can you believe I've discovered only yesterday IRL that we could actually use a hacksaw?:$

Good luck on the DeadMan, that's for sure something I'll never try myself!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Congrats! That's just impressive to me.

Can you believe I've discovered only yesterday IRL that we could actually use a hacksaw?:$

Good luck on the DeadMan, that's for sure something I'll never try myself!

When I got back into the game with the Vigilant Flame update I got bored at around day 60 of Voyageur - until then I said "I'll never try Interloper" and when I started Interloper - most of my runs ended in the single digit or teen number of days - I would have said "I'll never try deadman" if deadman were a thing then.

Also, if you don't want to see spoilers, you might not want to read my thread!  I make reference to a lot of tricks, item spawn locations, ways to exploit wildlife behavior (especially some cheeky ways to hunt bears) - on the other hand, some of the things I discuss (and things other people tell me!) are things that make NO sense that I learned from watching videos of other people playing TLD.  Keep in mind that I also started this run with absurd luck (bedroll on day 1 and two more bedrolls for cloth, four hacksaws found in total).

Just now, fauxjargon said:

I make reference to a lot of tricks, item spawn locations, ways to exploit wildlife behavior (especially some cheeky ways to hunt bears)

That's not really a problem, cause as long as you didn't face the problem yourself or don't know the places names, reading a solution is not printed as "information" by my brain. I basically read "I'm at <unknown place1>, towards <unknown place1> to get <item X>, using <trick X> on the way".

I read for the emotion of the writer, not for his/her technical accomplishments which I can't judge if they are great or not since I didn't try myself. I just understood lots of things with BareSkin7 and exhaustion as a resource for healing, most of them I've read before in Snowballs but didn't get a clue what we were talking about.

I understand the challenge generated by Deadman, but it might be too frustrating and not realistic enough to me to not heal when you sleep. But I'm unwillingly on a de facto BedLoper challenge right now (sleep only in beds-maybe there's another name for that?), which could make sense IRL, and it's fun.

23 hours ago, fauxjargon said:

It would be nice to have one to save wear on my hatchet for when I chop saplings

This comes up from time to time, so while we are at it - has anyone actually checked hatchet/hacksaw wear when you chop saplings? Every time I checked with hacksaw, there was no wear even after chopping down multiple saplings.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:07 AM, fauxjargon said:

Yeah - I am going to let this one rest - the bear hunt in TWM will be dangerous - that little area north of the landing gear has nasty sightlines.  I've become wolf treats there before - actually the only place in TWM I've ever been killed by anything other than the weather.

The bear in the cave under Echo Peak East is an easy hunt from the leaning tree near the wing. You get up on the tree, you can even build a fire on it, and the bear walks right by and can't reach you. That is the spot you want right there.

On 9/21/2018 at 2:34 PM, Stone said:

@fauxjargon *applause* a great adventure, well survived! I kept meaning to post on your progress but you were posting faster than I could keep up! Really enjoyed following your trail. Good luck with your next challenge!

Yes lol, I had a few days downtime where I played an embarrassing amount of TLD.  I'm debating whether or not my next long challenge should be meaterloper or season 2 (days 100-200) of outerloper.

Archived